Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 16:25   #541

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Some great, comprehensive information on this thread. Thanks, Tanveer.

I am getting my 7-year old (almost) Safari 2.2 4x2 ready for it's 4th trip to Ladakh. I have flown twice too. This trip will be at least a couple of months, and I will go via Spiti spending a couple of weeks in Kinnaur and Spiti. (I will start a travelogue for this)

Car will be dropped off at Ayush Motors Noida for a check-up and some minor fixes. I have not been able to find a knowledgeable and reliable FNG for the Safari in Noida so the car goes to TASS. (Recommendations are welcome )

I am going to get a K&N filter installed this time. Hopefully, will get better performance out of the car.

Are there any other recommendations apart from the ones you have already posted?
satie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:47   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I had taken printout of some of the sections in the guide and they came in very handy at Chushul. Thanks a million for that.
Just a query regarding the kakasang La route.
At the T point where the army stands guard, they flatly refused to let us go the Chushul- Rezang la - Loma route saying something about a red alert. Since one of us was an army man, we were able to cajole the officer to let us through. At that T point, one road was going to Tangste I think. The other road went the Rezangla war memorial - chagga la - loma route. Where was the kakasang la route ? Wasn't able to figure that out.
Good to hear you had backing of the Army man and you were let through.
We were returned back last year from the very point, also an rally of Army Jeeps was coming through from check post side. However, we were told we can go via Kakasang La - Mahe and then onwards, inspite of having permits for Tsaga La.

The T junction you mention, if coming from Merak (Pangong side), the Left one goes over the bridge via Tsaga La and Right one under the Army check post barrier goes via Kakasang La to Mahe and onwards. You can also turn back via other road (away from Pangong) to Tangste from this Right Side as I understand.
Old 26th June 2014, 18:11   #543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I had taken printout of some of the sections in the guide and they came in very handy at Chushul. Thanks a million for that.
Just a query regarding the kakasang La route.
At the T point where the army stands guard, they flatly refused to let us go the Chushul- Rezang la - Loma route saying something about a red alert. Since one of us was an army man, we were able to cajole the officer to let us through. At that T point, one road was going to Tangste I think. The other road went the Rezangla war memorial - chagga la - loma route. Where was the kakasang la route ? Wasn't able to figure that out.
Parsh has mentioned that
Quote:
Originally Posted by satie View Post
Some great, comprehensive information on this thread. Thanks, Tanveer.

I am getting my 7-year old (almost) Safari 2.2 4x2 ready for it's 4th trip to Ladakh. I have flown twice too. This trip will be at least a couple of months, and I will go via Spiti spending a couple of weeks in Kinnaur and Spiti. (I will start a travelogue for this)

Car will be dropped off at Ayush Motors Noida for a check-up and some minor fixes. I have not been able to find a knowledgeable and reliable FNG for the Safari in Noida so the car goes to TASS. (Recommendations are welcome )

I am going to get a K&N filter installed this time. Hopefully, will get better performance out of the car.

Are there any other recommendations apart from the ones you have already posted?
Do not get K&N filter installed. Worst thing for Ladakh. Carry a spare normal air filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Good to hear you had backing of the Army man and you were let through.
We were returned back last year from the very point, also an rally of Army Jeeps was coming through from check post side. However, we were told we can go via Kakasang La - Mahe and then onwards, inspite of having permits for Tsaga La.

The T junction you mention, if coming from Merak (Pangong side), the Left one goes over the bridge via Tsaga La and Right one under the Army check post barrier goes via Kakasang La to Mahe and onwards. You can also turn back via other road (away from Pangong) to Tangste from this Right Side as I understand.
Actually, the T where you take right towards tangste you take left. Its behind the chushul hill.
Point marked on map and openstreetmaps
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 19:57   #544
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

An Innova, Duster & Safari, we are planning Leh early October 2014. Should reach Leh on 6th October using Srinagar route. The Leh plan is as follows:

6th October - Permits & Local Sightseeing
7th October - Leh - Pangong - Leh
8th October - Leh - Hanle (overnight at Hanle)
9th October - Hanle - Tso Moriri (overnight at Tso Moriri)
10th October - Tso Moriri - Leh via Debring/TanglangLa
11th October - Nubra Valley

A few questions:
  1. Is the above October period Ok for driving?
  2. How cold would Hanle & Tso Moriri be (overnight stays)?
  3. As per your maps, the routing (8th/9th/10th) is doable with time as well as kms. Since fuel will not be available after Karu, we will have to carry approx. 20 litres of diesel each.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:30   #545
Team-BHP Support

Why do you want to go via Srinagar. That is the perfect time to go via manali leh route

For Hanle and Tso Moriri expect -6 to -7 at night
Yes, 20 liters each should be good enough.

Secondly, try for chushul permit and stay overnight at Pangong. Then go direct to Hanle via Chushul(not a very long drive)
Old 27th June 2014, 01:36   #546
BHPian

We are leaving on 12th July to Leh from Mumbai in a Xylo, so far we are 3 friends. Anyone interested to join from Mumbai can inform me
Old 27th June 2014, 10:46   #547
BHPian

All set for the Ladakh trip , will be starting from Delhi to Manali on Sunday morning.

Slight change in the plan form Manali, as we planned to start towards Jispa on Tuesday morning and lately came to know that tuesdays the road is closed for maintenance towards Leh. We will be leaving on Monday morning.

Need to checkout the exact timings from Sonmarg towards Srinagar on the return route.

Thanks Tanveer for the wonderful travel guide, helped a lot in our planning.
Old 27th June 2014, 10:51   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why do you want to go via Srinagar. That is the perfect time to go via manali leh route
Hmmm! Did seriously consider! Worried a bit about the slush at rohtang and the subsequent water crossings taking a toll on the slightly older vehicles (Innova is 130,000 & Safari is 70,000 kms). Post rains, in October wouldn't there be more/deeper water to cross? If you say, this is not a major worry, I will take your word and re-route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Secondly, try for chushul permit and stay overnight at Pangong. Then go direct to Hanle via Chushul(not a very long drive)
Did not give this a thought. Thinking aloud....as per your maps, Leh - Spangmik - Hanle - Tso Moriri - Leh will be 711 kms. Assuming we top up at Karu both ways, it shaves off 66 kms, i.e. fuel station to fuel station driving of 645 kms, which is the absolute similar if we were to start from Leh all over again as per my earlier plan. Wonderful indeed! Thanks, will re-route.
Old 27th June 2014, 11:02   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Hmmm! Did seriously consider! Worried a bit about the slush at rohtang and the subsequent water crossings taking a toll on the slightly older vehicles (Innova is 130,000 & Safari is 70,000 kms). Post rains, in October wouldn't there be more/deeper water to cross? If you say, this is not a major worry, I will take your word and re-route.
Rohtang will be in amazing shape. Water crossings also at bare minimum. Go via Manali route.

Quote:
Did not give this a thought. Thinking aloud....as per your maps, Leh - Spangmik - Hanle - Tso Moriri - Leh will be 711 kms. Assuming we top up at Karu both ways, it shaves off 66 kms, i.e. fuel station to fuel station driving of 645 kms, which is the absolute similar if we were to start from Leh all over again as per my earlier plan. Wonderful indeed! Thanks, will re-route.
Buy some 20 liters at Tangste from the store next to Dothguling guest house. He gives you clean diesel. This way you can tank full at Tangste and have even more buffer.
Fuel cost is same as pumps or slightly more
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 12:13   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satie View Post
I had K&N filter installed in my SX4 before recent trip to Ladakh and it chocked due to dust and dirt. While coming back from Nubra, car just refused to climb. Checked filter and it was clogged, not way to clean as I was not carrying the cleaning kit and oil. but luckily I carried the paper filter, replaced it, I never felt any difference. Hope this helps.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 12:17   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I had K&N filter installed in my SX4 before recent trip to Ladakh and it chocked due to dust and dirt. While coming back from Nubra, car just refused to climb. Checked filter and it was clogged, not way to clean as I was not carrying the cleaning kit and oil. but luckily I carried the paper filter, replaced it, I never felt any difference. Hope this helps.
K&N filter is not supposed to be used in dusty conditions. Do not believe me. Go to K&N website where they say do not use without shroud in dusty conditions.

Its going to ruin the engine in long term. K&N filters are for dust free countries. Getting a K&N filter up north is going to shorten your engine life and do more harm than good
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 12:27   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Slight change in the plan form Manali, as we planned to start towards Jispa on Tuesday morning and lately came to know that tuesdays the road is closed for maintenance towards Leh.
Can you throw some more light on this Tuesday closure? Which segment is closed? Where can one get update information from? Is it a short term programme, will it be effective in October too?
Old 27th June 2014, 12:32   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Can you throw some more light on this Tuesday closure? Which segment is closed? Where can one get update information from? Is it a short term programme, will it be effective in October too?
Tuesday closing has been there on and off for a long time. It can be there in october, or can be removed depending upon conditions. All depends upon BRO. Best way is not to travel on Tuesdays
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 13:06   #554
BHPian

I know this probably isn't the correct place for this. But this one goes for Tanveer and Hanle!

India set to open a new window to universe in 2 years

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/india-set-to-open-a-new-window-to-universe-in-2-years/article6157649.ece

Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 14:22   #555
BHPian

Tanveer,

This is an awesome thread started by you. For many aspirants like me who are preparing and planning their first Ladakh drive in the near future, this contains a wealth of information and maps. Thank you so much.
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks