Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 17:10   #2506
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hello Everyone!

Is anyone aware of a self-rental car company that allows us to pick up a car from either Manali or Srinagar and drop it off at a different location? For instance, if I pick up a car in Manali, it would be great if I could drop it off in Srinagar without having to return it to the original location. I've tried a few rental companies online, but I haven't had any luck so far. While I've found bike rental companies that allow such flexibility, I'm specifically looking for a car rental.

Kindly suggest if you have any recommendations.
Old 13th March 2024, 19:33   #2507

Drive to Leh from Chandigarh in May

Hello Friends,
I want to undertake a trip to Leh from Chandigarh in early May, possibly on 01 May in my Duster. I'm apprehensive about the weather since forecast is of snow/sleet during that time frame. Is it safe to go in such conditions? I've driven there before but that was a July trip and no such concerns were there! Would greatly appreciate any advice on this!
Warm regards
Shail
Old 13th March 2024, 22:16   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Hello Everyone!

Is anyone aware of a self-rental car company that allows us to pick up a car from either Manali or Srinagar and drop it off at a different location? For instance, if I pick up a car in Manali, it would be great if I could drop it off in Srinagar without having to return it to the original location. I've tried a few rental companies online, but I haven't had any luck so far. While I've found bike rental companies that allow such flexibility, I'm specifically looking for a car rental.

Kindly suggest if you have any recommendations.
Manali does not have services of branded Car Rental Companies. Nearest such facility is in Chandigarh only! Hope it helps.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 22:20   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Manali does not have services of branded Car Rental Companies. Nearest such facility is in Chandigarh only! Hope it helps.
Thank you for your suggestion. I can find rental companies even in Manali. However, my plan is to fly from Chennai to Manali, cover the entire Leh circuit in a self-driving car, and drop off the car in Srinagar before flying back to Chennai. Most car rental services insist on dropping off the car in Manali, not in Srinagar. I've noticed bike services are available, as expected, but I would like to know if car rentals offer a similar drop-off option.
Old 14th March 2024, 18:38   #2510
BHPian

Re: Drive to Leh from Chandigarh in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbiceps00 View Post
Hi Members!

We are a group of 10, planning for a trip to Leh-Ladakh region in mid April this year (April 15-30). We wish to go on a bike trip circuit in Leh, starting from Leh and exploring the valley for 5-6 days before returning back to Leh.

We wanted to know if it is a good time to visit the region, the general condition of the roads, major routes open/closed, and other key information. Possible circuits to cover and explore are also much appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi biceps, it is late spring for that area and there would be lot of snow but also streams by late mornings and noon/late-noon due to melting and requires precise planning of leaving from stays. It is quite unpredictable but if you are totally adventurous kind of person then this would be great time as any given day will bring its own surprises and challenges. Of course, the biggest challenge would be landslides and that would mean being prepared to play the waiting game. You should carry sufficient fuel and snacks and not to forget sleeping gear in case you are stranded way beyond the day. The roads will be more slippery so having a good set of tires and a air compressor along would enhance your safety and goes without saying; adding a puncture kit to your travel bag will go a long way in ensuring your safety and protection from any unforeseen incidents. The road through Kargil opens earlier to Manali-Leh and it would be better to check with J&K media points a few days from your likely departure. Plan on carrying more snacks as not all the shacks might be open during this period. I travelled during mid-August which was considered as the fag end of the season so there not many surprises for me. Of course, the crowds had weaned off from the peak season so I did not face traffic jams or cramped roads on the mountains.

Of course, the important thing is to have updates on opening of all upper tranches which sometimes will be uncertain and is based purely on the weather at that time. So, even it is expected to be open historically, it might wary on a given day so add a few days as buffer and you wouldn't be totally disappointed. Hope it helps, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaillion View Post
Hello Friends,
I want to undertake a trip to Leh from Chandigarh in early May, possibly on 01 May in my Duster. I'm apprehensive about the weather since forecast is of snow/sleet during that time frame. Is it safe to go in such conditions? I've driven there before but that was a July trip and no such concerns were there! Would greatly appreciate any advice on this!
Warm regards
Shail
Hi Shaillion, most of the above applies to you but the roads would be definitely open during the time of your travel. Safety is a subjective term during the early days of summer as the degree no snow melts depends on the temperature and afternoons/later afternoons would not be preferred to start the journey however small on the upper tranches as the warm temperature on a given day would increase the flow of water in the streams which could be tricky to cross. Landslides would be a normal phenomenon as increased melting would release a gush of water that would cause the slides. Again, the roads in the areas of the upper regions might have a small sheet of ice due to low temperatures through the night and early mornings could be skiddy and one should be watchful. Having said this, this is one of the best times to visit Leh as it will be fresh, with less visitors, and the weather will be the best for most of us with pleasant days and less chilly nights. Please keep few days as buffer during your stay due to the uncertainty of weather and you would really have a great time around. Hope it helps, cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks