Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2014, 20:13   #421
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hello Tanveer ,
basic question ,
Do u recommend that Jispa to Leh to be done in a single day or should there be a stop over at Sarchu considering the distances involved? Will be driving a sedan. I have factored it as a single day as of right now.Time of travel is mid Sept.
Pls advise.

Oh by the way i have placed order for the snow chains from SCC.

Regards
Sumit
Old 13th May 2014, 09:09   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Hello Tanveer ,
basic question ,
Do u recommend that Jispa to Leh to be done in a single day or should there be a stop over at Sarchu considering the distances involved? Will be driving a sedan. I have factored it as a single day as of right now.Time of travel is mid Sept.
Pls advise.

Oh by the way i have placed order for the snow chains from SCC.

Regards
Sumit
Can be done in a day, but it will be a long day. From Tanveer's opening posts -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are a first timer on your four wheeler, I urge you stop at Jispa, instead of the "midway" point of Sarchu.
There are three reasons for that
1. Jispa offers more comfortable accommodation with heated rooms, hot water, allowing you to recharge
2. At 3200 odd meters, altitude is lower, so you get time to acclimatize
3. An early start from Jispa, esp in the early months when snow rules the passes, you miss out the traffic jams which start from 8am onwards.

~~~

Couple of hours after Baralacha La you are at Sarchu. This is near the HP-JK border, and a favorite with the more adventurous. There are tented accommodations here, ranging from 2000/night luxury tents with attached toilets to 200/night basic tents.

If you must stay here, I suggest staying a night in Keylong anyways, and doing the highway over three days. A night in Manali (2000mts) followed by Sarchu (~4000mts) is recipe for disaster, and AMS can be deadly here.

~~~

Suggested Itenaries:
2 days
1. Manali - Jispa
2. Jispa - Leh

3 days
1. Manali - Sissu
2. Sissu - Sarchu
3. Sarchu - Leh
-OR
1. Manali - Sissu
2. Sissu - Pang
3. Pang - Leh

Last edited by Dry Ice : 13th May 2014 at 09:10.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 05:18   #423
BHPian

I hope I am posting this on the correct thread or else request the mods to move this to the appropriate one.

Six of my brother's close friends are planning to ride from Hyderabad to Leh & Ladakh on Ninja 650r's. Is this doable on a 650 R?

I have suggested them to transport their bikes to Delhi and start riding from there. Can anyone please throw some light on the performance of 650 on such treacherous roads?
Old 14th May 2014, 09:08   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I hope I am posting this on the correct thread or else request the mods to move this to the appropriate one.

Six of my brother's close friends are planning to ride from Hyderabad to Leh & Ladakh on Ninja 650r's. Is this doable on a 650 R?

I have suggested them to transport their bikes to Delhi and start riding from there. Can anyone please throw some light on the performance of 650 on such treacherous roads?
Check this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nja-250-a.html

As far as transporting vs riding the bike is concerned, it would all come down to days in hand.

Edit: This one too - http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/trav...-world-t47643/

Last edited by Dry Ice : 14th May 2014 at 09:11.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:45   #425
Senior - BHPian

Hi - Does someone have experience of the Dalhousie -> Udaipur -> Keylong route? Is it advisable to take this route at all?
Old 14th May 2014, 11:53   #426

Believe that the passes on Leh route have been closed again due to snowfall / rain / landslides. Anyone has any updates? Am planning to drive to Leh from Pune on 28th May
Old 14th May 2014, 11:56   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hi - Does someone have experience of the Dalhousie -> Udaipur -> Keylong route? Is it advisable to take this route at all?
Its very tricky with very narrow roads and is a tough drive.
If you are in for adventure and danger(frequent landslides are common) go for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSr View Post
Believe that the passes on Leh route have been closed again due to snowfall / rain / landslides. Anyone has any updates? Am planning to drive to Leh from Pune on 28th May
Yes, Zoji La closed. but this is common. After passes open, they usually are unstable for the first 2-3 weeks.
Should be clear in 3-4 days time
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:59   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its very tricky with very narrow roads and is a tough drive.
If you are in for adventure and danger(frequent landslides are common) go for it
I didn't spot a mention of this stretch in your initial posts, but have you done this later? I am planning on taking the Gurkha, and maybe, another Fortuner or Scorp 4wd. So, our vehicles would all be fairly capable.
What about the scenic beauty of this route?
Old 14th May 2014, 12:01   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I didn't spot a mention of this stretch in your initial posts, but have you done this later? I am planning on taking the Gurkha, and maybe, another Fortuner or Scorp 4wd. So, our vehicles would all be fairly capable.
What about the scenic beauty of this route?
I have never done this route. Its okay scenic, similar to Kashmir in some areas.
Frankly speaking, based on the pictures I have seen, its nothing extra-ordinary. Sinthan pass route(Mughal road) is better.

But yes, this route has spectacular snow walls and lots of water crossings, and falling rocks and adventure with road barely wide enough to take one vehicle with sheer cliff drops
Old 14th May 2014, 12:08   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have never done this route. Its okay scenic, similar to Kashmir in some areas.
Frankly speaking, based on the pictures I have seen, its nothing extra-ordinary. Sinthan pass route(Mughal road) is better.

But yes, this route has spectacular snow walls and lots of water crossings, and falling rocks and adventure with road barely wide enough to take one vehicle with sheer cliff drops
Thanks Sir. I get the drift. Let me consider the alternatives. I was looking for a route that is off-the-beaten path, at least for one of the legs. I am thinking of starting around mid-June. I am still firming up my itinerary. Your thread is potentially a life savior, and I mean that literally.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:51   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Sir. I get the drift. Let me consider the alternatives. I was looking for a route that is off-the-beaten path, at least for one of the legs. I am thinking of starting around mid-June. I am still firming up my itinerary. Your thread is potentially a life savior, and I mean that literally.
If you hit the road before the monsoon hits north India, you should be good
Old 14th May 2014, 13:15   #432
Senior - BHPian

Sure, I'll factor that in as well.
Moreover, I am inclined to go directly from Nubra to Pangong and then return to Manali. What do you opine about that sir?
Old 14th May 2014, 14:08   #433
Senior - BHPian

My next question, Sir, is more technical. I currently use 15W40 Mineral oil. Should I switch to 0W30 Mobil 1 or something similar, for this trip, in my target time-frame?
Old 16th May 2014, 03:16   #434

Hey friends, sorry if this is a repeat question, although I haven't found anything about it so far.
I am planning to go from Mashobra to Manali and then further to Leh if the road conditions allow.
My trip will start from Mashobra on the 30th of May. I will really appreciate some feedback on the route to take from Mashobra to Manali.
Que 1:- Should I take the road from Mashobra to Narkanda - Banjarmasin and then on to Manali? Or the more travelled road from Mashobra - Simla- Mandi and then to Manali? Which road is in a better condition so even if I travel more, I might reach Manali faster.
Que 2:- Is XUV 500 the right car for this time of the year to go to Leh from Manali? Do I need any modifications to the air intake of the XUV for the leh trip? I have read earlier in the thread that the road conditions could be tricky due to snow blockages etc. but how is the route per se? Is it pot holed and torn up or is it only snow covered but manageable.
Que 3:- In case I can't go to Leh due to bad or blocked roads in the beginning of June, where else can I visit or is there an alternate route I can take to come back to Delhi? (I do not have a time crunch).
Thanks

Note from Support: Formated to make readable

Last edited by aah78 : 16th May 2014 at 04:35.
Old 16th May 2014, 12:40   #435
BHPian

Hello Tanveer,

I have gone thru the detailed guide and need your assistance in finalizing my trip. I plan to go to Leh from Ahmedabad in Yeti with my wife and 10 yr old daughter. Pl let me know if the below schedule is doable and suggest the best options for the stay on the way.

31-May-14 Ahmedabd to Udaipur (start in evening and stay at Udaipur)

01 June 2014 Udaipur to Amritsar (start early morning 5.00 am)

02 June 2014 Amritsar to Srinagar

03 June 2014 Spend for local sightseeing at Srinagar

04 June 2014 Srinagar to Kargil

05 June 2014 Kargil to Leh, en route visit Lamayuru Monastery, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Indus and Zanskar Confluence and Magnetic Hill.*

06 June 2014 Visit Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace, Namgyal Tsemo Gompa and Hall of Fame. Also get the car serviced.*

07 June 2014 Leh to Turtuk, en route visit Diskit Monastery.*

08 June 2014 Turtuk to Leh back

09 June 2014 Leh to Pangong Tso, drive up to Merak Village and then come back to Spangmik or Lukung for night stay.

10 June 2014 Back to Leh, en route visit Thiksey and Shey Monasteries.*

11 June 2014 Leh to Tso kar

12 June 2014 Tso Moriri to Tso Kar to Sarchu

13 June 2014 Sarchu to Mandi or/ Sarchu to Manali

14 June 2014 Mandi to Jaipur or/ Manali to Jaipur

15 June 2014 Jaipur to Ahmedabad

Looking forward to the feedback of all the Gurus

Most Viewed