Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 13:59   #1381

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
The Srinagar was peaceful. I stayed in a houseboat. I went to interiors of Srinagar as well. I went to Hazratbal etc. No issues, inspite of my DL registered car. I would recommend you check with army contacts about situation one day in advance and then take decision accordingly.

Sonmarg to Drass road was hell. Broken and with craters. Drass to Leh was smooth.

I am back on this month end. Please shoot any queries then. Will definitely answer everything in detail, as I am still in Leh.
@carbookie... Heard we now need inner line permits again from this year which was stopped in 2014. Since I visited in 2014, I didn't need any permits and visited Nubra without issues. I am coming to Ladakh in June end 2017. So wanted to know how long it will take to get permits for Nubra, Turtuk, Pangong Tso and Tsomori ri together? And how much it will cost approximately for a group of 6 persons. My Hotel friend is going to help me get the permits but wanted to know these few details in advance. Thanks.
Old 21st May 2017, 15:44   #1382

Dear TBHPians,

I and 5 of my friends are planning a trip from Pune to Ladakh and back from 17th June to 2nd July 2017 in my Safari Dicor 4x4. I have experience of driving 24 hours nonstop from Pune to Yercaud. And 20 hours non stop from Ooty to Pune. Plus other short journeys in hilly regions. There is another driver with me.
My itinerary is attached. Please provide your valuable tips and suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ladakh trip 2017 - tbhp.xlsx (10.1 KB, 288 views)
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:05   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Ladakh Veterans, is it a good idea to go to Ladakh during the 3rd week of October? Are the higher passes usually open till Oct?
Season generally ends on 15th October. We did drive on last week in october in 2014 and there was difficulty finding hotels/food in Keylong/ Leh.

However Shanti guest house in Leh opens year around.

Leh-Srinagar route was at its scenic best during october though.
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:04   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerkarve View Post
@carbookie... Heard we now need inner line permits again from this year which was stopped in 2014. Since I visited in 2014, I didn't need any permits and visited Nubra without issues. I am coming to Ladakh in June end 2017. So wanted to know how long it will take to get permits for Nubra, Turtuk, Pangong Tso and Tsomori ri together? And how much it will cost approximately for a group of 6 persons. My Hotel friend is going to help me get the permits but wanted to know these few details in advance. Thanks.
Inner line permits are needed.

Cost : 400 per adult. Children above 12 are considered adults. In addition you need to pay 20 per human per day for permit.

Procedure : Take ID proof copy for everyone (even for children to prove they are below 12). Go towards DC office in Leh. Before reaching DC office take permit form from photostat shops outside. Reach DC office and fill the three forms you took from photostat shop. Submit three forms, ID proofs and make payment. You can collect your permit after 2 hours from same office. Make 20 photo copies of this permit and keep with you all times.

Timings: The DC office takes forms from 9:00 am to 3:00 PM. They have a lunch time of half an hour in between. Sunday closed.

No need to involve the agent in getting it done provided you have a transport. Every hotel arranges for permits also at extra charge (most probably at around 700 per person).

Nubra, Turtuk, Pangong Tso and Tsomori ri should be mentioned on the form and you get a single page which acts as permit for every place.

Last edited by carbookie : 22nd May 2017 at 19:06.
carbookie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 07:42   #1385
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have few question for my trip planning.
1. What are the mobile networks that are active in Ladhak?
2. What would be the approximate Taxi charges from Srinagar to Leh with a night halt at Kargil?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:01   #1386
BHPian

Nothing works in Ladakh apart from BSNL and Airtel postpaid.

Additionally internet service will not work on your mobile.

Additionally, if you get WiFi from hotel, WhatsApp Facebook and many social networking sites won't work
Old 26th May 2017, 11:08   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
Nothing works in Ladakh apart from BSNL and Airtel postpaid.

Additionally internet service will not work on your mobile.

Additionally, if you get WiFi from hotel, WhatsApp Facebook and many social networking sites won't work
Airtel postpaid also works only in the Leh city limits and does not work in areas like Pangong and Nubra. Bsnl postpaid has some coverage in these areas. Prepaid of Bsnl and Airtel (all others too) don't work in J&K for security reasons.
Data service on Airtel is almost non existent and you will hardly get any speed to use even whatsapp. Wifi though available in most lodges and Hotel is flaky and very low speed and generally available only in the hotel reception areas and not in the rooms.
When going to Ladakh, please be prepared for long periods (often days) incommunicado where you will not have phone signals. The best way to remain in touch with family at home is to call them from landlines when you have Access.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 08:24   #1388
BHPian

I am scheduled to go on a trip to Leh-Ladakh along with parents during third week of June. Going via ThomasCook, as my relatives, who went last year recommended it. Sharing our itenerary here. The accomodation is taken care of.
Have Company Secretary exams from 1st, so I am unable to go through this thread, or research about both touristy places and off-beat places to visit. Would love it if some could share their experiences or itineraries, to help me out.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magical Ladakh 8N9D - Standard (Summer Special)2017.pdf (922.4 KB, 586 views)
Old 31st May 2017, 00:03   #1389

Hi..Can anyone update about the Road conditions between Jammu and Srinagar currently? I am starting from Delhi tomorrow for a road trip, Delhi -Udhampur- Sonmarg-Leh-Turtuk-panamik-pangong Tso- chushul- Tso- Moriri-Debring-Sarchu-Khokhsar-Manali-Delhi
Old 31st May 2017, 07:06   #1390

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksantosh View Post
Hi..Can anyone update about the Road conditions between Jammu and Srinagar currently? I am starting from Delhi tomorrow for a road trip, Delhi -Udhampur- Sonmarg-Leh-Turtuk-panamik-pangong Tso- chushul- Tso- Moriri-Debring-Sarchu-Khokhsar-Manali-Delhi
Hi Santosh. As per several news articles I read yesterday night, the complete 300 km Jammu Srinagar highway is curfewed and blocked. No vehicles are moving on it due to the tense situation and people are stranded on both ends of the highway. This is as per yesterday night's update. I would suggest u try to talk to ur hotel guy or friends in Srinagar to understand the situation for today. Have a safe journey.
gamerkarve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 11:43   #1391
BHPian

Hello Everyone.
for the people taking the Manali-Leh route, following is the news clipping from 2 days back
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-leh-manali-road.jpg  

Ritesh_Dogar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 14:36   #1392
Senior - BHPian

I am exactly one month away from travel and somehow news from Srinagar part is not great as many posted already. Still not letting go hope.

Any idea which part of the highway is curfewed? Could people driving from Manali, drive past Leh and visit Kargil or beyond excluding Srinagar?
Old 31st May 2017, 14:42   #1393

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I am exactly one month away from travel and somehow news from Srinagar part is not great as many posted already. Still not letting go hope.

Any idea which part of the highway is curfewed? Could people driving from Manali, drive past Leh and visit Kargil or beyond excluding Srinagar?
Even I am 20 days away from travel and keeping high hopes that situation will be under control.
The highway from Jammu to Srinagar was under curfew. I guess you can travel from Manali to Srinagar via Kargil without hurdles.
Old 31st May 2017, 14:46   #1394
BHPian

BHPians, Please suggests some good stay options in Sonmarg and Kargil/Dras section..

Will be travelling in the month of July.Hence I want to book in advance as it would be a peak season.
Old 31st May 2017, 14:54   #1395

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
BHPians, Please suggests some good stay options in Sonmarg and Kargil/Dras section..

Will be travelling in the month of July.Hence I want to book in advance as it would be a peak season.
Hi Redcruiser,

I personally have made booking at Hotel Saqi at Kargil at the rate of Rs. 1000 per head for June mid. I found this the most economical hotel online and had good ratings.
I suggest you do booking at booking.com so you wont even have to pay advance money. Pay at property.
If you have a higher budget, you can check out other hotels online at that site.
gamerkarve is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed