Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 08:17   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Need some suggestions from fellow BHPians for planning my Ladakh trip this summer.
I will be travelling with my wife and 10-year old daughter.

We have 7-9 days in hand, so I have decided to fly in and out of Leh instead of road trip.

For this time duration, the itinerary seems pretty standard with little variations possible.
A standard 7N/8D itinerary looks like this

Day 1 - acclimitisation
Day 2- around Leh
Day 3- drive to Sangam, nearby attractions
day 4 - leh to Nubra
Day 5 - Numbra to Leh
Day 6 - Leh to Pangong
Day 7 - Pangong to Leh
Day 8 - fly back

---------------
I can possibly add 1 more day to my itinerary if there is something worth exloring in the additional day. Some suggestions which I see on the Internet are -

Spend 2 nights in Nubra - Is this worth? What should we try to cover if we spend 2 nights?

Drive to Lamayuru and overnight stay nearby - Is it worth travelling 120 kms?

Drive to Tso moriri - This seems hectic with Family.

Please let me know your suggestions. I plan to book the flight tickets soon as they are pretty costly already and increasing even more. Also, is July-August a good time to travel?
Old 1st March 2018, 09:23   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Day 2- around Leh
You can cover almost all attractions on Day2 including Confluence of the Indus and Zanskar Rivers, Magnetic hill. No need to waste an entire day on Sangam and surrounding attractions.

Quote:
Day 4 - leh to Nubra
Day 5 - Numbra to Leh
Day 6 - Leh to Pangong
Day 7 - Pangong to Leh
Day 4 is fine, on Day5 you should go to Pangong directly from Numbra Via shoylk Aghan route. This will save you one day. Day6 should be Pangong to Leh covering Thikse and Hemis Monasteries. By this way, you"ll get two more additional days.

Quote:
Spend 2 nights in Nubra - Is this worth? What should we try to cover if we spend 2 nights?
Two night in Nubra is not advisable unless you are planning to go to Turtuk or Panamik.

Quote:
Not at all. (IMHO)

Quote:
Tso Moriri is an amazing place but it will be hectic unless you plan a night stay at Korzok village.
Old 1st March 2018, 09:41   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Comments in line to original post
Quote:
day 4 - leh to Nubra
Day 5 - Numbra to Leh instead you can directly go to Pangong and save a day

---------------

Not really. Instead you can plan to stay in Turtuk and explore the village

If you have enough time, you can visit Lamayuru. Since you are planning for Sangam/magnetic hill etc, Lamayuru is 90 km from there and roads are good. Also some of the Leh attaractions like Shey/Thikse can be covered while you are returning from Pangong

Please let me know your suggestions. I plan to book the flight tickets soon as they are pretty costly already and increasing even more. Also, is July-August a good time to travel?
Expect crowd during those months
Old 1st March 2018, 18:09   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies. I have read about the direct route from Nubra to Pangong but I have read the route can be risky. Is it advisable to do this route with family? Probably, I need to talk to the local hotel or taxi operator.
If I save 2 days as suggested above, do you advise cutting short the trip by a day or exploring something else?

Another option is flying to Srinagar and taking a cab from Srinagar to Leh.
I don't know the current situation at Kashmi and whether it is advisable to travel now. I just happened to be in Kashmir one week before Burhan Wani was killed.
Old 1st March 2018, 18:23   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I have read about the direct route from Nubra to Pangong but I have read the route can be risky. Is it advisable to do this route with family? Probably, I need to talk to the local hotel or taxi operator.
If I save 2 days as suggested above, do you advise cutting short the trip by a day or exploring something else?

I don't know the current situation at Kashmi and whether it is advisable to travel now. I just happened to be in Kashmir one week before Burhan Wani was killed.

All the routes in that area can be tricky & risky. You could even be stranded on a NH with no help available !! Its too early to plan for that, and you do a lot of decision making on the ground based on that moments weather, political and road conditions.

Cutting short or extending the trip is upto you. What you can do now is to prepare the good, bad and ugly situations.
Old 1st March 2018, 19:11   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't even consider it. You will be fleeced by 2 taxis. One from Srinagar and then one in Leh (you can't use Srinagar taxi to roam around in Leh). Better fly directly to Leh and be fleeced by 1.
Old 5th March 2018, 11:05   #1522
Senior - BHPian

After considering various options I am thinking of going to Tso Moriri from Pangong instead of spending the extra day at Leh/Ulley/Nubra.

What I have heard is the beauty of Tso Moriri is worth the extra travel. Are they any precautions we need to take? Will it be manageable with family?
Old 5th March 2018, 11:21   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I have heard is the beauty of Tso Moriri is worth the extra travel. Are they any precautions we need to take? Will it be manageable with family?
Yes, Tso Moriri is an amazing place.

Leh to Korzok (Village at Tso Moriri) is 220Km, which will take more than six hours(one way). You"ll be with your family and a one day trip to Tso Moriri will be hectic for them. IMHO, It is advisable to spend a night at Korzok.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 11:27   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After considering various options I am thinking of going to Tso Moriri from Pangong instead of spending the extra day at Leh/Ulley/Nubra.

Be aware that Tso Moriri and Pangong nights could be very cold, and most of the accommodation options are Tent type with out much creature comforts.
Old 5th March 2018, 23:24   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Yes, Tso Moriri is an amazing place.

Leh to Korzok (Village at Tso Moriri) is 220Km, which will take more than six hours(one way). You"ll be with your family and a one day trip to Tso Moriri will be hectic for them. IMHO, It is advisable to spend a night at Korzok.
I am planning to spend night at Korzok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Be aware that Tso Moriri and Pangong nights could be very cold, and most of the accommodation options are Tent type with out much creature comforts.
Yes, understood. I am looking for best possible accommodations.
Found one luxury accommodation in Pangong but it is very expensive
http://www.ladakhsarai.com/hermitage-pangong.html

Any suggestions for Tso Moriri?
Old 5th March 2018, 23:31   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, understood. I am looking for best possible accommodations.
Found one luxury accommodation in Pangong

Any suggestions for Tso Moriri?
Try Himalayan wooden cottages at Spangmik. We stayed there for a night and it was nice. Wooden cottages are comparatively warm. KORZOK have many home stay options. They are nice and economical.

Last edited by ampere : 6th March 2018 at 08:00. Reason: Typo Fixed
Old 10th March 2018, 11:08   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.
RIght now, I am thinking between Tso Moriri and Turtuk other than the normal itinerary. Anyone been to Turtuk, please suggest is it worth staying at Nubra for one more night and visit this village?
Tso Moriri will definitely be worth it but I am still debating whether it will be too hectic and cold for my family. If anyone has done the journey from Pangong to Tso Moriri, please recommend if it's worth the long journey and not-so-comfortable accommodation.
Old 10th March 2018, 12:09   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
RIght now, I am thinking between Tso Moriri and Turtuk other than the normal itinerary. Anyone been to Turtuk, please suggest is it worth staying at Nubra for one more night and visit this village?
Tso Moriri will definitely be worth it but I am still debating whether it will be too hectic and cold for my family. If anyone has done the journey from Pangong to Tso Moriri, please recommend if it's worth the long journey and not-so-comfortable accommodation.
Tutuk is a village of 2000 population. If you are ready to enjoy the natural beauty of this remote village, its worth staying there. Some amount of walking and small hiking may be required. There are people/travelogues in this forum where people found the village too beautiful and stayed there for 2 days and on the other side few others saying its just another village. So look up the threads and decide. Everyone's choices are different.

if you are going to Turtuk, its better to stay there than Nubra

The toughness of Leh to Turtuk journey is somewhat similar to Pangong to Tso Moriri journey - There are sections with roads, broken roads and no roads. No one can say if the journey is worth for you. I suggest you take that call en route. If your family is keeping very well and no one is tired and everyone is enjoying even after night stay at Pangong; they take this journey, else return to Leh.
arjithin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 11:13   #1529
Senior - BHPian

A good news for all the friends who are planning for Ladakh drive/trip (Including me) this season.

Border Roads Organisation starts snow clearing work on Manali-Leh highway

Quote:
Mar 13, 2018, 22:17 IST
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has started snow clearing work on Manali-Leh highway. Efforts are also being made to open the Manali- Leh highway from the other side of Rohtang Pass in the Lahaul valley. Heavy snow had covered Manali- Leh highway causing disruption to traffic. Residents have been facing difficulty in carrying out their daily chores due to lack of transportation. Bulldozers and heavy machines have been pressed into the service to remove the snow.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63289554.cms

News source : timesofindia.indiatimes.com
Old 15th March 2018, 19:15   #1530
BHPian

Hi all,

Is there any 2018 Ladakh expedition/convoy being planned from Bangalore?
I want to be part of the drive/convoy/expedition.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Prashanth

Most Viewed