Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 05:40   #2131
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hey folks,

Just need some expert opinion here.

Been planning a trip to Leh and surroundings since a few years now. I currently have a 2014 Dzire zdi - well maintained but not in the best of shapes from the outside.

In Dec'21, I have got new clutch assembly and 2 new tyres. 2 rear tyres are an year old. I have considerable experience in hilly areas but never been to Leh area.

If we travel, we'll be 2 adults and 1 kid.

My only worry is - will my car make it back in one piece? It's this same worry that has made me plan the travel in September.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to take the compact sedan there? I've been contemplating flying there but the LTD bug inside me says otherwise.

Help!
Old 25th April 2022, 17:12   #2132
BHPian

Route Update: Leh - Manali Highway opened for LMVs from today!

I know a lot of us are waiting for the Leh-Manali highway to be open to plan our Ladakh trip. I've been keeping a tab on this from early April. Ever since Srinagar -Leh was opened. Thought to share it on the forum for the benefit of others as well.

Quote:
The traffic between Manali and Leh has been restored for light vehicles. However, the movement of two-wheelers and trucks would be allowed later when the road be found fit. The traffic would be allowed on the Manali-Leh beyond Darcha towards Leh via Baralacha Pass every day till 1 pm.
Source: https://zeenews.india.com/

Drive Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 15:46   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Hey Folks, my Leh travel plans are finally final . Been talking to HVK sir to figure out the kinks and snapshot below has the details. I am already in Punjab with my car currently WFH from Jalandhar. So that definitely reduced the travel stress. Will be taking a week's break upon return also before heading back to Bangalore by May end. Will try and share real time updates here during the trip if network permits.

Will be doing the trip with my wife and 8yr old daughter in my FWD XUV500.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-lehtrip.jpg

Link below has a small writeup about the BLR-Del drive

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5295358 (Delhi to Bangalore : Route Queries)

Last edited by supertinu : 26th April 2022 at 16:01.
supertinu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:15   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Folks, my Leh travel plans are finally final . Been talking to HVK sir to figure out the kinks and snapshot below has the details. I am already in Punjab with my car currently WFH from Jalandhar. So that definitely reduced the travel stress. Will be taking a week's break upon return also before heading back to Bangalore by May end. Will try and share real time updates here during the trip if network permits.

Attachment 2301200

Link below has a small writeup about the BLR-Del drive

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5295358 (Delhi to Bangalore : Route Queries)
Hi, Thank you for sharing your itinerary.

I am planning a trip with my family (wife, kids 6, 4 and myself) to Kashmir and Leh from Monday May 2nd onwards. 5-6 days in the valley and another week in and around Leh. Last i did this trip in 2012 when we got our Innova from Hyderabad. Considering that the roads have drastically improved, I feel Thar 2021 Diesel AT may not be needed much. So, I am Exploring the option to take a taxi locally.

Do we have selfdrive rentals that I can take in Srinagar and drop off at Leh?
Old 27th April 2022, 11:06   #2135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Hi, Thank you for sharing your itinerary.

I am planning a trip with my family (wife, kids 6, 4 and myself) to Kashmir and Leh from Monday May 2nd onwards. 5-6 days in the valley and another week in and around Leh. Last i did this trip in 2012 when we got our Innova from Hyderabad. Considering that the roads have drastically improved, I feel Thar 2021 Diesel AT may not be needed much. So, I am Exploring the option to take a taxi locally.

Do we have selfdrive rentals that I can take in Srinagar and drop off at Leh?
I wouldn't be surprised if your Thar still works out cheaper and more fun that some self drive rental there.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:13   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if your Thar still works out cheaper and more fun that some self drive rental there.
Ha ha that is a given. It is just that sending the car to reach Srinagar from Hyderabad by 30th April seems like a challenge. So exploring the taxi options.

There is no direct flight from leh to Hyderabad now. So Planning to go back to Sirnagar. Layove flights are too long. With kids I am not keen on that.

Rough itinerary

Day 1srinagar locals
Day 2 srinagar to Gulmarg stay
Day 3 Gulmarg to pahalgam stay
Day 4 pahalgam to srinagar
Day 5 srinagar to sonamarg stay
Day 6 sonamarg to kargil stay
Day 7 kargil to leh stay
Day 8 leh to nubra stay
Day 9 nubra stay
Day 10 nubra to pangong stay
Day 11 pangong to Ts
Day 12 Tso Morori
Day 13 leh locals
Day 14 leh to srinagar
One day Buffer. May drop one or change one or 2 items depending on the family interests

Seeing the rates of taxi. Buying and selling the car seems like a cheaper option. if only everything was online
Old 27th April 2022, 17:38   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Ha ha that is a given. It is just that sending the car to reach Srinagar from Hyderabad by 30th April seems like a challenge. So exploring the taxi options.

There is no direct flight from leh to Hyderabad now. So Planning to go back to Sirnagar. Layove flights are too long. With kids I am not keen on that.

Rough itinerary

Day 1srinagar locals
Day 2 srinagar to Gulmarg stay
Day 3 Gulmarg to pahalgam stay
Day 4 pahalgam to srinagar
Day 5 srinagar to sonamarg stay
Day 6 sonamarg to kargil stay
Day 7 kargil to leh stay
Day 8 leh to nubra stay
Day 9 nubra stay
Day 10 nubra to pangong stay
Day 11 pangong to Ts
Day 12 Tso Morori
Day 13 leh locals
Day 14 leh to srinagar
One day Buffer. May drop one or change one or 2 items depending on the family interests

Seeing the rates of taxi. Buying and selling the car seems like a cheaper option. if only everything was online
IN my research everyone is not recommending Tso Moriri due to road conditions. You have very small child, might be better off skipping it.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:03   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
IN my research everyone is not recommending Tso Moriri due to road conditions. You have very small child, might be better off skipping it.
Oh is it so. We are really not rigid on the places we want to visit. Kids want to play in snow. Everything else is incidental
Old 29th April 2022, 16:21   #2139

Hello fellow BHPians,

We have finalized our Ladakh Itinerary. We are 3 guys travelling in my 2021 Tata Harrier FWD Auto. We have already taken all the permits online. From what i understand, physical stamps are no more required for any route. I am looking for valuable inputs from the experts to improve our itinerary.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-ladakh-itinerary.jpg
C.ARPIT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 18:37   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.ARPIT View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,

We have finalized our Ladakh Itinerary. We are 3 guys travelling in my 2021 Tata Harrier FWD Auto. We have already taken all the permits online. From what i understand, physical stamps are no more required for any route. I am looking for valuable inputs from the experts to improve our itinerary.

Attachment 2302174
I would go Hanle and Umling La over Tso Moriri if days were limited. The whole route from Merak to Loma then Mahe to Karzok is worst roads of Ladakh and you plan to do it together. Should take around 11-12 hours but back-breaking and not a good ride. Also in those sections if something happens then help is not easily available.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 20:48   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Folks, my Leh travel plans are finally final .
Thanks for sharing your travel plan, Supertinu, and wish you a safe and memorable journey. I am also planning a Ladakh trip in June, and will be waiting for your updates for sure.

I plan to do WFH from somewhere near Srinagar, and looking for pet friendly options to stay in there. I am traveling with my 1 year old American Bully, along with my wife and 7 year old daughter, and my ride is a RWD Fortuner petrol auto.

Is this your first trip to Ladakh? It is my 2nd for me, but last time we took a flight.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 29th April 2022 at 20:49.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 22:00   #2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I would go Hanle and Umling La over Tso Moriri if days were limited. The whole route from Merak to Loma then Mahe to Karzok is worst roads of Ladakh and you plan to do it together. Should take around 11-12 hours but back-breaking and not a good ride. Also in those sections if something happens then help is not easily available.
Thank you for the input. Is Umling La open for civilians? And where should we halt on the way from Handle to Manali? Can we do it in the same time frame?
Old 30th April 2022, 13:25   #2143
BHPian

Anyone flew to Leh recently. Is pre-flight RTPCR test results required if you are flying to Leh from Bengaluru via Delhi?

Also is RTPCR again required after landing at Leh Airport?
Old 30th April 2022, 13:28   #2144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Anyone flew to Leh recently. Is pre-flight RTPCR test results required if you are flying to Leh from Bengaluru via Delhi?

Also is RTPCR again required after landing at Leh Airport?
Nope, at the moment no covid screening. Just carry your vaccination reports.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 21:36   #2145
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I’m planning a Mumbai - Leh - Mumbai trip in my Innova Crysta in the month of May - June. Following is my rough plan.

Dates for trip 27th May to 8th June.

27th May : Mumbai - Udaipur

28th May : Udaipur - Chandigarh

29th May : Chandigarh - Srinagar

30th May : Srinagar - Leh

31st May - Leh Rest

1st June - Leh

2nd June - Leh

3rd June - Leh

4th June - Leh

5th June : Leh - Jispa

6th June : Jispa - Chandigarh

7th June : Chandigarh - Udaipur

8th June : Udaipur - Mumbai

Considerations :

1) My aim for this trip to enjoy the drive and scenery more than visiting tourist places ( which I can keep for later )
2) Plan is flexible but the dates are fixed.
3) Travelling with Parents and my wife.
4) 3 people can drive.
5) One of the days from 1st to 5th I can keep it as a buffer/ rest day.

I would request fellow members for their suggestions on my itinerary.
GP19 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks