Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 00:24   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

I am planning a trip to Leh via the new Shinkula pass road.

The return will be from Tso Moriri, Pang and Sarchu and Jispa route to Manali.

I have been looking at YouTube and it seems the road conditions from Jispa to Sarchu are really bad.

Two questions for the veterans here.

1. Is Tso Moriri to Jispa doable in a single day. Google Maps shows almost the same distance and time from Leh to Jispa or from Tso Moriri to Jispa.

2. Any recent travelers can please confirm if the road from Sarchu to Jispa is still in a bad condition or has it been repaired.
Old 5th May 2022, 01:45   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I am planning a trip to Leh via the new Shinkula pass road.

The return will be from Tso Moriri, Pang and Sarchu and Jispa route to Manali.

I have been looking at YouTube and it seems the road conditions from Jispa to Sarchu are really bad.

Two questions for the veterans here.

1. Is Tso Moriri to Jispa doable in a single day. Google Maps shows almost the same distance and time from Leh to Jispa or from Tso Moriri to Jispa.

2. Any recent travelers can please confirm if the road from Sarchu to Jispa is still in a bad condition or has it been repaired.
1 - Can be done in a day, best if you leave early.

2 - My guess is it's still in bad condition since winters are just about over and wouldn't have been possible to do much work.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 14:54   #2163
BHPian

With taking all the considerations mentioned in above posts here is my plan. I’ve extended my trip by two more days.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-a63d4c824d0945899ce6308cae7e4d83.png

I would request people from North give their inputs on route selection, Thanks.

Note :

1) Plan is to start at 4am from Chandigarh, hoping to reach Jakheni before 1300 hrs, as per google maps I should reach by 11am. However, in case of un foreseen traffic jam I’ll adjust my rest day in Sonamarg with this.
GP19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 20:45   #2164
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning a zanksar leh roadtrip at the end of this month. Just wanted to find out details on the permits specifically to hanle & tso moriri. Should you be applying online or is it best to go to the DC office at Leh and get the permits.

Also has any one from this forum gone to Umling La Pass as i see a lot of posts online and on youtube of travellers being there last year. If anyone can shed some light on this would be really grateful.
AnishRanjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 12:41   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishRanjan View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm planning a zanksar leh roadtrip at the end of this month. Just wanted to find out details on the permits specifically to hanle & tso moriri. Should you be applying online or is it best to go to the DC office at Leh and get the permits.

Also has any one from this forum gone to Umling La Pass as i see a lot of posts online and on Youtube of travellers being there last year. If anyone can shed some light on this would be really grateful.
From what I have gathered,the online permit is valid and one need not travel to leh for the permit.
I did zanskar in 2020 and planning TSO MORIRI this month. I would like to be corrected on the permit thing if my info is wrong.
Old 6th May 2022, 15:00   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojsolanki87 View Post
From what I have gathered,the online permit is valid and one need not travel to leh for the permit.
I did zanskar in 2020 and planning TSO MORIRI this month. I would like to be corrected on the permit thing if my info is wrong.
Kindly visit https://www.lahdclehpermit.in/ for pass related queries. Passes for all locations can be obtained online. Last year, when I visited, Hanle needed additional stamp from DC office on the online permit printout, which was checked at Mahe and Loma checkpoints. I don't have any information for Umling La (last known status was closed for public).

I will be leaving for Leh from Chandigarh on 3rd of June. With a tentative 15 days trip I will travel as opportunities present themselves.

Last edited by 88_TANK_88 : 6th May 2022 at 15:01.
Old 6th May 2022, 19:43   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

All inner-line permits (ILPs) for Ladakh UT have been withdrawn currently. Based on the information I gather, you don't need to take any permit as an Indian national to travel the roads you mentioned.
The only fees you may be paying is the Green fee to enter the Ladakh region, you may have to pay that online, for the number of days you are travelling in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojsolanki87 View Post
From what I have gathered, the online permit is valid and one need not travel to leh for the permit.
No need to travel to Leh DC office for anything as of now, all the ILPs are withdrawn and I have not heard they started to require that again. Only the Green Fees is what one shall be paying, along with the wildlife protection and another optional fee that was mentioned.

Ref(Green fees):https://leh.nic.in/green-fee-shall-c...-visiting-leh/
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 15:42   #2168
BHPian

Can't believe ILP was scrapped last year and many are not aware including me.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...as85172181.cms
Old 8th May 2022, 10:32   #2169
BHPian

Just came back from an 18-day trip to Leh/Ladakh/Pangong/Chumathang/Tso Moriri from Kolkata.

Took the Srinagar route while going and the Leh-Manali route while returning.

Some tips:
  • Just pay online for the permit, no need to visit any office.
  • Roads from Pangong to Tso Moriri/Tso Kar/Chumathang is non-existent. We literally drove for hours across the cold desert. Thank god we had an SUV, else we would have been stuck on these roads.
  • Fill up your car's tank if you plan to go ahead of Nubra.
  • From Leh, if you are taking the Leh-Manali route, you must cross the Mahe checkpost by 10am.
  • From the Srinagar side, you can take the Zoji la route but you need to cross the Gulmarg checkpost by 5pm. Just call the traffic check post there and confirm before you leave.
eRajesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 23:29   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post
Just came back from an 18-day trip to Leh/Ladakh/Pangong/Chumathang/Tso Moriri from Kolkata.

Took the Srinagar route while going and the Leh-Manali route while returning.
How were the roads from Srinagar to Leh , Leh to Manali and Nubra to Pangong ?

Thanks.
Old 9th May 2022, 10:31   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
Kindly visit https://www.lahdclehpermit.in/ for pass related queries. Passes for all locations can be obtained online. Last year, when I visited, Hanle needed additional stamp from DC office on the online permit printout, which was checked at Mahe and Loma checkpoints. I don't have any information for Umling La (last known status was closed for public).
Thank you so much for your valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
All inner-line permits (ILPs) for Ladakh UT have been withdrawn currently. Based on the information I gather, you don't need to take any permit as an Indian national to travel the roads you mentioned.
The only fees you may be paying is the Green fee to enter the Ladakh region, you may have to pay that online, for the number of days you are travelling in the region.

No need to travel to Leh DC office for anything as of now, all the ILPs are withdrawn and I have not heard they started to require that again. Only the Green Fees is what one shall be paying, along with the wildlife protection and another optional fee that was mentioned.

Ref(Green fees):https://leh.nic.in/green-fee-shall-c...-visiting-leh/
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 9th May 2022, 17:21   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post

[*] From the Srinagar side, you can take the Zoji la route but you need to cross the Gulmarg checkpost by 5pm. Just call the traffic check post there and confirm before you leave.[/list]
-> Its sonamarg, not Gulmarg.

Also, the timings change each day for traffic to leh and traffic from leh. Always keep an eye on https://twitter.com/Traffic_hqrs for exact timings.
BunnyPunia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 17:31   #2173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
-> Its sonamarg, not Gulmarg.

Also, the timings change each day for traffic to leh and traffic from leh. Always keep an eye on https://twitter.com/Traffic_hqrs for exact timings.
Thanks Bunny. How's the route through Manali right now?
Old 9th May 2022, 17:44   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks Bunny. How's the route through Manali right now?
A known person left Leh at 5:15am, was in Manali by 3:30pm.
This route has been improving massively. Even a Skoda sedan did it few days back :-D (before the recent snow)
BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:15   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
A known person left Leh at 5:15am, was in Manali by 3:30pm.
This route has been improving massively. Even a Skoda sedan did it few days back :-D (before the recent snow)
Debating between Srinagar and Manali. Would i be right in assuming that Delhi-Manali-Leh is faster?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks