Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 13:40   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargmudit View Post
Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Leh in June with wife and son (13 years old). Here is the tentaive intineray after reading through earlier posts and suggestions and tweaking it slightly.

Car Ford Endeavour 2.0 4WD

Attachment 2296018

Need advise on following:
  1. Any suggestion / feedback on itineray / route.
  2. Access to petrol pumps on this route.
  3. Suggestions on stay options at desitnation locations in Hunder, Pangong, Hanle and Tso Moriri
  4. Any other suggestions / feedback welcome

Thanks a lot !!
A nice plan, It looks good and perfect.

For Stay:
Hunder has many guesthouses and homestays, you can walk in or book in advance

You mentioned Merak, Peaceful Guesthouse, Merak is a good place, we stayed there back in 2018 and going to stay there again this April.

Hanle, Padma Guesthouse, is basic but clean and economical.

Tso Moriri, They do have many camps, and guesthouses, Dolphin Guesthurs is very basis and clean, we stayed there back in 2018

Last edited by SJM1214 : 13th April 2022 at 14:00.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 13:45   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Of the days in Ladakh, there is just one day of rest. Where are the days to soak in the beauty of the place and just be? Driving days in the mountains are measured by time and not distance and a 200km drive could easily take most of the day. This plan is just one endless drive from one place to another.
100% agree with this. I was in Ladakh with only a night stays are Hunder, Pangong and Hanle and even though distance might seem less, it takes lot longer simply because you usually drive around 20-40 km/hr and make multiple stops on the way. Then when you reach its quite late and you are not able to actually enjoy the places. I missed loads of stuff because of this.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:36   #2103
BHPian

Are rental cars allowed to travel around Leh to Nubra Vally, Pangong Tso and Hanle?

There have been some incidents reported such as the one mentioned in the below link:

https://devilonwheels.com/rented-sel...other-updates/

If someone has any idea on this, please let me know.
Old 13th April 2022, 19:21   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Can you please suggest what places to drop and make a better plan. Bangalore to Leh and return by car.
Old 14th April 2022, 11:13   #2105
BHPian

Does anyone know the days of one-way traffic on the Srinagar-Kargil highway? Like, on which days can I travel from Srinagar to Kargil?
Old 14th April 2022, 12:27   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post
Does anyone know the days of one-way traffic on the Srinagar-Kargil highway? Like, on which days can I travel from Srinagar to Kargil?
Follow J&K traffic police for twitter. They post daily updates:

https://twitter.com/Traffic_hqrs
Old 14th April 2022, 14:59   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Revised plan, thanks to inputs from Ranjit Nair...

Talegaon Dabhade stay: In Laws...compulsory
Udhampur: Friends...compulsory.
Brother in Law and wife joining in Srinagar on 18th May and leaving from Chandigarh on 28th May

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-untitled.png

All set for the drive...
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 15:31   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Revised plan
Vadodara-Jodhpur - you might want to start earlier than 9am. With this start time, you will drive right into the weekday traffic which can slow you down even further. And GJ traffic is no fun

Jodhpur-Amritsar is a long haul. I'd rather start early from Vadodara the previous day and try to push it till Nagaur.

Good luck with the planning and the trip. I'm chalking out a plan for me too and hence these questions and suggestions.

Drive Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:47   #2109
BHPian

Planning a trip to Ladakh next week from Kolkata. Sharing my itinerary here. Feedback welcome

(20/4/22-Wednesday) Day 1: Kolkata to Asansol (220KM/4h 30m). Or Dhanbad (280KM/6hrs).

(21/4/22-Thursday)Day 2: Asansol to minimum Ghazipur (550KM/10 hours). Or Azamgarh (570KM/11h 30mins).

(22/4/22-Friday)Day 3: Ghazipur to Murthal (947KM/13h 45m).

(23/4/22-Saturday)Day 4: Murthal to Udhampur (570KM/10h 20m).

(24/4/22-Sunday)Day 5: Udhampur to Srinagar (200KM- 5h 30m/). Stay at Boat House.

(25/4/22-Monday)Day 6: Rest in Srinagar.

(26/4/22-Tuesday)Day 7: Srinagar - Zoji La - Sonmarg - Drass - Kargil.

(27/4/22-Wednesday)Day 8: Kargil to Leh. Rest.

(28/4/22-Thursday)Day 9: Leh to Khardung La to Diskit - Hunder - Nubra Valley - Turturk.

(29/4/22-Friday)Day 10: Nubra Valley - Chang La (longer route/optional) - Pangong Lake (320KM/8 hours). Stay.

(30/4/22-Saturday)Day 11: Pangong to Tso Moriri (4 hours/170KM).

(01/4/22-Sunday)Day 12: Tso Moriri - Moore Plains - Gata Loops - Sarchu - Jispa - Keylong - Tandi - Sissu (Can stay here if tired) - Solang - Atal Tunnel - Manali (320KM/9 hours).

(02/5/22-Monday)Day 13: Manali - Ambala (340KM/9 hours).

(03/5/22-Tuesday)Day 14: Ambala to Lucknow (760KM/11 hours).

(04/5/22-Wednesday)Day 15: Lucknow to Aurangabad (500KM/9 hours).

(05/5/22-Thursday)Day 16: Aurangabad to Kolkata (510KM/11 hours).

In case the Leh-Manali highway does not open by May 1, I will take the Srinagar-Highway again for my return journey.

Last edited by eRajesh : 14th April 2022 at 17:48.
Old 16th April 2022, 15:44   #2110

I’m planning a road trip to Ladakh in June from Delhi - Wanted to know if this itenary seems doable
22nd June: Leh - Tso Moriri - Pangong (night stay at pangong)
23rd June: Pangong to Nubra (Direct route)
24th June: Nubra to turtuk to Nubra
25th June: Nubra to Leh

Are there any petrol pumps on this route? Will I need to carry fuel - I will be driving in a petrol seltos
Old 16th April 2022, 16:32   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishrutjai View Post
I’m planning a road trip to Ladakh in June from Delhi - Wanted to know if this itenary seems doable
22nd June: Leh - Tso Moriri - Pangong (night stay at pangong)
23rd June: Pangong to Nubra (Direct route)
24th June: Nubra to turtuk to Nubra
25th June: Nubra to Leh

Are there any petrol pumps on this route? Will I need to carry fuel - I will be driving in a petrol seltos
You should do this in reverse order because of altitude. Nubra is at 10,000 ft and Pangong and Tso Moriri are both at almost 15,000 ft. Directly going from 10,000 (Leh) to 15,000 (Tso Moriri) is not ideal. You first need to acclimatise at lower altitude before you go higher. The more days for acclimatisation, the better.

So my recommendation is:
Leh
Nubra
Pangong via Agham Shyok
Tso Moriri.
Leh

No fuel pumps after Nubra. You will get fuel in bottles in villages. Please carry jerrycans.
Old 16th April 2022, 18:29   #2112

Quote:
You should do this in reverse order because of altitude. Nubra is at 10,000 ft and Pangong and Tso Moriri are both at almost 15,000 ft. Directly going from 10,000 (Leh) to 15,000 (Tso Moriri) is not ideal. You first need to acclimatise at lower altitude before you go higher. The more days for acclimatisation, the better.
Acclimatisation shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll be in Leh for a couple of days before starting the journey to tso moriri. Route planned this way so that we get to spend the morning in pangong(I don’t plan to spend the night in tso moriri.
Noted on the petrol pump, thanks!
Should we buy the jerry cans from Delhi/Srinagar or are they available in Leh?
Old 16th April 2022, 20:27   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Acclimatisation shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll be in Leh for a couple of days before starting the journey to tso moriri. Route planned this way so that we get to spend the morning in pangong(I don’t plan to spend the night in tso moriri.
Noted on the petrol pump, thanks!
Should we buy the jerry cans from Delhi/Srinagar or are they available in Leh?
It's unbelievable that you plan to do Tso Moriri and Pangong in a day. Please don't do that. It's 220 odd kms from Leh to Karzok. And then an additional 350+ kms to Pangong. Unless you plan to drive like a Dakar rally driver, this is simply not on. You must stay at Karzok. Even if you do stay at Karzok, Tso Moriri to Pangong is a long drive and will take most of the day.

Here's the thing about acclimatisation. Even with a two day layover in Leh you could get impacted. AMS is arbitrary. For instance, I barely feel it but several of my friends got impacted to various degrees and at various points over the first few days. So you never know. What works is going high in the day and sleeping low at night. If you do Nubra first, you cross Khardung or Wari La (go high) and then sleep low in Nubra. You get an extra day and that's usually better for the body. This plan can also easily accommodate a morning at Pangong if that's important to you.

I would urge you to talk to a few experienced Ladakh hands and run your plan by them. They will probably tell you what I have told you. Pardon my directness, but you are going to a place of incredible beauty. You need to take it slow, make it easy for your body and soak in the place. Please do not make it all about hustling from from one place to another.

But then again, this is just my thoughts on your plan. You do you
Old 16th April 2022, 21:45   #2114

Quote:
It's unbelievable that you plan to do Tso Moriri and Pangong in a day. Please don't do that. It's 220 odd kms from Leh to Karzok. And then an additional 350+ kms to Pangong. Unless you plan to drive like a Dakar rally driver, this is simply not on. You must stay at Karzok. Even if you do stay at Karzok, Tso Moriri to Pangong is a long drive and will take most of the day.
Karzok to Spangmik seems to be 210kms, that’s isn’t right?
Old 17th April 2022, 00:16   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Karzok to Spangmik seems to be 210kms, that’s isn’t right?
You clearly don't know the routes. Don't look at the distances. Tso Moriri has one of the worst roads and you won't be driving above 20-25 kmph not to mention it's tiring. Similarly Loma to Spangmik is equally bad with no actual road. It will be impossible and not to mention should not be travelled at night. Please read my travelogue or many more recent ones that have gone to these places.

Last edited by AnandB : 17th April 2022 at 00:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks