Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2022, 00:52   #2221
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

To all travelling with range anxiety, it is better to take extra fuel from petrol bunks in Leh or nearby areas. Diesel available at villages might be adulterated with kerosene or other oils. This fuel may not harm old DI engines of cabs or gensets running in the areas but can wreak havok on finer tuned modern engines. I saw a couple of vlogs on youtube also mentioning the same. They were getting diesel at INR 85/litre (1700 for 20l can) when it was 90+ per litre in Leh.
Old 30th May 2022, 09:44   #2222
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
New rates for bike rental in Ladakh.
Does that mean one has to rent bikes from Ladakh ONLY?
Can't we rent bikes from Chandigarh and do the Ladakh circuit now? Can someone confirm please.

TIA,
HTC
Old 30th May 2022, 12:36   #2223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Does that mean one has to rent bikes from Ladakh ONLY?
Can't we rent bikes from Chandigarh and do the Ladakh circuit now? Can someone confirm please.

TIA,
HTC
Only Ladakh rental bikes are allowed within Ladakh. Else you have to bring your own bike with proof of ownership.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:12   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Only Ladakh rental bikes are allowed within Ladakh. Else you have to bring your own bike with proof of ownership.
Oh, I thought it was only the Manali/HP registered rental bikes which are not allowed within Ladakh but the rental bikes from other regions are allowed. Is that not the case? I had been thinking (in bold because this has been in my bucketlist since long but never materialized) of a roadtrip to Ladakh on motorcycle this year, thought of flying down to Delhi/Chandigarh and get a rental. Bringing a motorcycle all the way from South for a 2 week trip doesn't really make sense.
Old 30th May 2022, 20:04   #2225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Oh, I thought it was only the Manali/HP registered rental bikes which are not allowed within Ladakh but the rental bikes from other regions are allowed. Is that not the case? I had been thinking (in bold because this has been in my bucketlist since long but never materialized) of a roadtrip to Ladakh on motorcycle this year, thought of flying down to Delhi/Chandigarh and get a rental. Bringing a motorcycle all the way from South for a 2 week trip doesn't really make sense.
Fly to Leh, rent a bike, and ride around Ladakh, and fly out.
Old 30th May 2022, 20:12   #2226

Folks, I am planning to travel from Hanle to Tso Moriri during my upcoming trip. I am also getting inclined to visit Umlingla pass though it is in the opposite direction.

Want to know from experts if it is practical to do Hanle to Umlingla, then back to Hanle and onwards to Tso Moriri via Mahe / Sumdo to Karzok in same day. And if yes then how much time this entire route will take roughly?

If not possible then will have to leave Umlingla for the next trip
gargmudit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:00   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargmudit View Post

Want to know from experts if it is practical to do Hanle to Umlingla, then back to Hanle and onwards to Tso Moriri via Mahe / Sumdo to Karzok in same day. And if yes then how much time this entire route will take roughly?

If not possible then will have to leave Umlingla for the next trip
Hanle to Umling La one way is 2.30-hour drive/ride. so if you leave at 0500 and come back by Maximum at 1100. Have some rest and start for Tso Moriri. You can reach Tso Moriri by 5.30. You can still enjoy the evening at Tso Moriri Lake.

Btw, we did Umling la on 01/05/2022. We did Merak (Pangong Tso) to Hanle and same day attempted Umling la. It was a bad idea as we had to drive the last two hours in dark.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:54   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
You can reach Tso Moriri by 5.30. You can still enjoy the evening at Tso Moriri Lake.
Are there any homestays at Karzok? The plan is to Hanle - Tso Moriri (Karzok) and maybe stay back before proceeding to Leh.
Old 31st May 2022, 00:28   #2229
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks Redliner.

This is day light robbery. For a 2 week rental of Himalayan bike, It costs 42k. Same bike's rental from Chandigarh is 1.5k per day. Hope common sense prevails and authorities over there stop this nonsense by taxi unions.
Old 31st May 2022, 05:40   #2230
BHPian

We are planning a trip to Leh in 2nd week June. The trip from Nuba to Pangong and back to Leh via Karu is roughly 450 kms. We will be driving in an Innova Crysta 1st gen - having a range of 550 kms (55 ltr). This should be comfortable without carrying fuel in can. Any suggestions?
Old 31st May 2022, 07:01   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Thanks Redliner.

This is day light robbery. For a 2 week rental of Himalayan bike, It costs 42k. Same bike's rental from Chandigarh is 1.5k per day. Hope common sense prevails and authorities over there stop this nonsense by taxi unions.
The issue here is the season is only from May to September. This is the only period that locals can use to make money. Now if you let folks from outside to come in and over run the local economy, all the locals will be displaced.

Operators from Chandigarh have the full year to play around with and bikes from there can go to Kashmir, Himachal etc.

People here have to make money for a year from 6 months. And the past two years have not been kind to anyone.

However if bringing your bike down is cheaper, that is what you should do.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 07:03   #2232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Are there any homestays at Karzok? The plan is to Hanle - Tso Moriri (Karzok) and maybe stay back before proceeding to Leh.
I looked it up on google and yes, there do seem to be homestays right next to Tso Moriri. What are your dates?
Old 31st May 2022, 11:09   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Please be informed, there are no taxi available for tourists in Leh. Almost every is booked.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img20220531wa0053.jpg
Old 31st May 2022, 11:30   #2234
BHPian

[quote=SJM1214;5327375]Please be informed, there are no taxi available for tourists in Leh. Almost every is booked./QUOTE]

And yet, there is a ban on taxis and rental cars from other states! The Ladakh admin needs to get their act together.
Old 31st May 2022, 11:40   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks, is there a big difference in terms of staying a night at Purne versus staying a night at Padum, in order to ensure not getting AMS symptoms? I see Purne is around 4800m and Padum is around 4550m of altitude. We would have spent a night and day at Gemur/Jispa (3250m) the previous night before reaching Purne for acclimatization purpose and we would be crossing Shinku La pass (5100m) before reaching Purne or Padum.
I'm asking this question since I'll be travelling with parents (no medical history related to cardio or respiratory issues) so trying to be careful about the places where we halt for night.
If we can halt at Purney, we (wife and I, parents may not be able to trek) would be visiting Pukhtar Gompa during the stay and I have also heard that Purne to Padum is a good 5 hours travel.
Please let me know your views. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks