Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 11:55   #2296
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot-20220726-11.31.48-am.png

Hello Team,

This is what my changed plan looks like. I have 3-4 buffer days for any unforeseen events or extra days in Leh/Srinagar/Delhi.

I have some questions nagging in my mind -

If someone could shed some light on Covid requirements currently upon entering Delhi/J&K/Ladakh, I would appreciate.

Also is Ambala - Srinagar doable in a day? I should be able to cross Udhampur before lunch, right?

Is it advisable doing Leh-Manali in my Dzire? Or should I plan for coming back via Srinagar? (Surely, if the road information during those days is bad for the Manali route)

If I take the Leh Manali route, should I stay at Jispa or attempt Manali straight? Accomodation at Jispa?
Old 26th July 2022, 15:58   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Attachment 2338697

Hello Team,

This is what my changed plan looks like. I have 3-4 buffer days for any unforeseen events or extra days in Leh/Srinagar/Delhi.

I have some questions nagging in my mind -

If someone could shed some light on Covid requirements currently upon entering Delhi/J&K/Ladakh, I would appreciate.

You will need vaccination certificates. No RT-PCR required.

Also is Ambala - Srinagar doable in a day? I should be able to cross Udhampur before lunch, right?

Its doable, but many external factors comes into play. As i was doing research- Udhampur needs to be crossed before 2 PM, though as per site timings are 12:30 Noon. which means its a very tight unless you start midnights. I am planning to start Delhi and i have travelled multiple times delhi pathankot in flat 10 hrs with 2 breaks.

Is it advisable doing Leh-Manali in my Dzire? Or should I plan for coming back via Srinagar? (Surely, if the road information during those days is bad for the Manali route)

No problem

If I take the Leh Manali route, should I stay at Jispa or attempt Manali straight? Accomodation at Jispa?
Should not try, Hitting AMS chances will be high, as most of time you will be above 4000 and will not get enough of time to acclimatize..
bruty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:05   #2298
BHPian

I have another question. As suggested, i will cover Hinder first from Leh and then I am planning to cover Pangong. What route should I take from Hunder to Pangong.

Route 1: Hunder -Leh-Sakti-Durbuk-Pangong or
Route 2: Hunder- Khalsar-Agham-Durbuk-Pangong the Syok river route

I am planning in 1st week of August and will be driving XUV 500 FWD. Any suggestions, feedback will be appreciated.
Old 26th July 2022, 16:16   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Should not try, Hitting AMS chances will be high, as most of time you will be above 4000 and will not get enough of time to acclimatize..
Okay your replies are in the quoted region. Had me confused there.

So, you're saying vaccination certificates required. But what about people who don't want to vaccinate? There must be a workaround.

From my proposed stop at Ambala, udhampur is about 400km. Looks tough as you said. I think I'll have to rework my plan here.

And no Jispa, noted.

Thanks a ton.
Old 26th July 2022, 16:18   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
What route should I take from Hunder to Pangong.
With your car, it should be okay with Agham - Shyok road. I plan to take that as well as per the reports - roads are good for about 70-80% of that section.
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:02   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Okay your replies are in the quoted region. Had me confused there.

So, you're saying vaccination certificates required. But what about people who don't want to vaccinate? There must be a workaround.

From my proposed stop at Ambala, udhampur is about 400km. Looks tough as you said. I think I'll have to rework my plan here.

And no Jispa, noted.

Thanks a ton.
Ambala to Udhampur is doable and can reach before the cut off time, provide d you start very early lets say about 1- 2 am. But is it worth taking chance?

You need to get RT-PCR report not less than 96 hrs old.
bruty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:12   #2302
BHPian

Quick question.

Planning to hire self drive 4*4 from Chandigarh and visit Zanskar/Kargil and come back via Leh hanle manali. As far as I know, except Pangong and Nubra rest all places Self drive is allowed. Can anyone please confirm what all routes the self drive cars are not allowed?
Old 26th July 2022, 19:02   #2303
BHPian

Quote:

Please carry vaccination certificate for all adults. No check in Delhi or any other place till Kargil. Around 50-60 km before Leh, you need to stop and register showing vaccination certificate. Again many people miss this point. Some of them have been turned back after some distance after this point. There are many including me who did not stop (knowingly or unknowingly) and nobody questioned. No problem if kids do not have any vaccination certificate.

Ambala- Srinagar is doable in a day provided you you start at 3-4 AM in morning. You need to cross Jammu by 12 PM and Udhampur before 2 PM. This is regulated.

Leh- Manali in Dzire possible but need to have good tyres. Only couple of very challenging points- dirt/sludge and water crossing, other bad road section is easily doable. Road conditions have improved drastically from what it use to be 4-5 years back.

Jispa or Keylong both have very good stay options. With opening of Atul Tunnel, these two places have become sight seeing spots for Manali tourists so you will feel like small hill station there.

Last edited by Wanderers : 26th July 2022 at 19:04.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:10   #2304
BHPian

Quote:

I drove entire India from Mid mar - end of May, all states and my vaccination certificate was asked in just 2 places. Home stay I stayed in Diu and hotel I stayed in Gangtok. It was not asked any where else. Not sure if things have changed after that. I am not suggesting you should not carry, we did carry, but it was not asked anywhere else.

Last edited by thirugata : 27th July 2022 at 10:14.
thirugata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:16   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
I drove entire India from Mid mar - end of May, all states
Does that include the princely J&K and UT of Ladakh?
Old 27th July 2022, 10:20   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Does that include the princely J&K and UT of Ladakh?
Yes , you can check the below link for the route I took.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...road-trip.html (Route query about an All-India road-trip)
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:37   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
I see you've written Srinagar - Leh. But the map suggests you've not gone through Kargil. Any specific reason for that?

BTW, that's an amazing trip! Did you finish your travelogue?

Last edited by unoczar : 27th July 2022 at 10:40.
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:20   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
I see you've written Srinagar - Leh. But the map suggests you've not gone through Kargil. Any specific reason for that?

BTW, that's an amazing trip! Did you finish your travelogue?
The route I took was
Srinagar - Sonmarg - Zojila Pass - Dras - kargil
Kargil - Lamayuru - Nimmo - Leh

With an over night stay in Kargil.

So Kargil was pit stop for me.

This map was done almost a year prior to the travel, just to give me an idea of what could be the estimated length. May be that time google map picked that route.

I am in the process of writing the travelogue. Its going to take couple of months I guess.

Last edited by thirugata : 27th July 2022 at 11:24.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:12   #2309
BHPian

Do you have any updates on the status of highway at Ramban. It was closed a day or 2 earlier.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:47   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any updates on the status of highway at Ramban. It was closed a day or 2 earlier.
It's still closed. Please check J&K traffic police Twitter handle for updates.

To all other people - after your precious inputs - I've changed my itinerary. This is how it looks like - Please let me know if I can finalize this?

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot-20220728-10.38.50-am.png

Thank you.

PS: 26-27 Sep will be combined as I don't intend to stay at Pangong. I'll add a day at Leh or Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks