Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2022, 16:50   #2146
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP19 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I’m planning a Mumbai - Leh - Mumbai trip in my Innova Crysta in the month of May ~
~Considerations :

1) My aim for this trip to enjoy the drive and scenery more than visiting tourist places ( which I can keep for later )
2) Plan is flexible but the dates are fixed.
3) Travelling with Parents and my wife.
4) 3 people can drive.
5) One of the days from 1st to 5th I can keep it as a buffer/ rest day.

I would request fellow members for their suggestions on my itinerary.
I would suggest to breakup Srinagar- Leh to Srinagar-Kargil and Kargil-Leh.
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:55   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I’m planning a Mumbai - Leh - Mumbai trip in my Innova Crysta in the month of May - June. Following is my rough plan.

Dates for trip 27th May to 8th June.

I would request fellow members for their suggestions on my itinerary.
Nice itinerary. I am doing Leh a week after you, else would have met up.
My only point is that the Leh Manali highway was can a bit unpredictable and is definitely stressful, so you may want to relook at the Jispa- Chandigarh leg. Probably consider stopping over at Manali.
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:57   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.ARPIT View Post
We have already taken all the permits online.
What locations require permits in your itinerary?
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:01   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
...so you may want to relook at the Jispa- Chandigarh leg. Probably consider stopping over at Manali.
Jispa to Manali should be a 12 hour run. Jispa to Manali takes about 4 hours now with the opening of the Atal Tunnel. And Manali to Chandigarh takes roughly 8 hours. If the family is comfortable with a 12+ hour journey on a single day, go ahead, but start early from Jispa.

Instead of stopping at Manali from Jispa, maybe you can stop over near Bilaspur or Swarghat and avoid a Chandigarh lay over altogether, while still enjoying the cool evening climates of the hills, unless if you do have some work in Chandigarh!
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:31   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
I would suggest to breakup Srinagar- Leh to Srinagar-Kargil and Kargil-Leh.
Added, I will paste the new route.

Quote:
Nice itinerary. I am doing Leh a week after you, else would have met up.
My only point is that the Leh Manali highway was can a bit unpredictable and is definitely stressful, so you may want to relook at the Jispa- Chandigarh leg. Probably consider stopping over at Manali.
Considered, keeping a buffer day for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Jispa to Manali should be a 12 hour run. Jispa to Manali takes about 4 hours now with the opening of the Atal Tunnel. And Manali to Chandigarh takes roughly 8 hours. If the family is comfortable with a 12+ hour journey on a single day, go ahead, but start early from Jispa.

Instead of stopping at Manali from Jispa, maybe you can stop over near Bilaspur or Swarghat and avoid a Chandigarh lay over altogether, while still enjoying the cool evening climates of the hills, unless if you do have some work in Chandigarh!
Chandigarh because my next stop is Udaipur and then drive will become long.

So here is my plan for now.

27th May : Mumbai - Udaipur

28th May : Udaipur - Chandigarh

29th May : Chandigarh - Srinagar

30th May : Srinagar - Kargil

31st May - Kargil - Leh

1st June - Leh - Nubra Valley

2nd June - Nubra - Turtuk - Nubra

3rd June - Nubra - Leh

4th June - Leh - Jispa

5th June : Jispa - Chandigarh

6th June : Chandigarh - Udaipur

7th June : Udaipur - Mumbai

8th June : Buffer

Keeping Pangong for some other time.
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:43   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

31st May - Kargil - Leh

3rd June - Nubra - Leh

4th June - Leh - Jispa

Jun 3,4 I see you are returning via Leh. I understand that you dont want to visit too many crowded places. However, if you change your return route via Pangong (via Shyok route), insted of Leh, you may be able to cover beautiful lake and couple more places with more or less same days and kms of travel. Challenge I see may be the fuel range, you will get to tankfull at Diskit when you start, next would be Karu or Tandi, depending on how much you cover (option of covering Hanle, Tso moriri as well, but you may not have that much time) during that time.

Great to see you are travelling with Parents, I've got a plan to travel with parents as well in the month of Jun. Planning to get Dr consultation + any reports done for them before we leave, planning not to get very adventurous, travel slow with extra precautions to avoid travel related fatigue, enough woolens and so on.
They don't have any major chronic ailments like diabetes, hypertension, heart related issues so far.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:40   #2152

Quote:

31st May - Kargil - Leh

3rd June - Nubra - Leh

4th June - Leh - Jispa

Chandigarh to Srinagar on same day may be difficult as Chandigarh to Jakheni, Udhampur checkpost is about 400km and the cutoff for entry is 1pm. Similarly if you take Jammu route the cutoff at Nagrota is 12pm.

Also for Srinagar to Kargil, 30th May is Monday and as per present rules Zojila pass is open only on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday from Sonamarg side. Plus the vehicles have to line up at 6am near Sonamarg check post. Reaching Sonamarg so early from Srinagar may be difficult.

However situation may improve by the time you are planning.

Follow J&K traffic police twitter for daily traffic updates.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1651601298

I am also planning Leh around similar time from Mumbai
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20220503233636_twitter.jpg  

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20220503233727_twitter.jpg  

Apratim_Choudhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:43   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.ARPIT View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,

We have finalized our Ladakh Itinerary. We are 3 guys travelling in my 2021 Tata Harrier FWD Auto. We have already taken all the permits online. From what i understand, physical stamps are no more required for any route. I am looking for valuable inputs from the experts to improve our itinerary.

Attachment 2302174
There are travel restrictions between Sonamarg - Kargil. As of now its closed on fridays. Opens 6-10am from Sonamarg on tues/thurs/Sun and 4-6pm on Mon/Wed/Sat. Got this info from HVK sir. Please plan accordingly and find out latest before leaving.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your travel plan, Supertinu, and wish you a safe and memorable journey. I am also planning a Ladakh trip in June, and will be waiting for your updates for sure.

I plan to do WFH from somewhere near Srinagar, and looking for pet friendly options to stay in there. I am traveling with my 1 year old American Bully, along with my wife and 7 year old daughter, and my ride is a RWD Fortuner petrol auto.

Is this your first trip to Ladakh? It is my 2nd for me, but last time we took a flight.
This is my first trip to Leh and infact even Srinagar region. Goes without saying this is the longest road trip I have done considering from BLR

Quote:

31st May - Kargil - Leh

3rd June - Nubra - Leh

4th June - Leh - Jispa

GP, skipping Pangong Tso is like going to Agra to see agrafort and not going to Taj Mahal. I would suggest make it single night in Nubra and drive to Pangong for 2nd night. Also read above about travel restrictions between Sonamarg and Kargil.

Folks, my current plan of travel is below. If anyone sees KA 01 Silver first gen XUV, do give me a howler.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-lehtrip.jpg
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:05   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Jun 3,4 I see you are returning via Leh. I understand that you dont want to visit too many crowded places. However, if you change your return route via Pangong (via Shyok route), insted of Leh, you may be able to cover beautiful lake and couple more places with more or less same days and kms of travel. Challenge I see may be the fuel range, you will get to tankfull at Diskit when you start, next would be Karu or Tandi, depending on how much you cover (option of covering Hanle, Tso moriri as well, but you may not have that much time) during that time.

Great to see you are travelling with Parents, I've got a plan to travel with parents as well in the month of June...
I’ll do that, Probably Nubra - Turtuk - Pangong. Now it all depends on where is the hotel located.

So my parents have been to Leh in 2017 by road. I casually asked them if they want to join and they said yes. My mom was truly mesmerised by Manali - Leh route.

I hope you get a green signal from Dr to take your parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apratim_Choudhu View Post
Chandigarh to Srinagar on same day may be difficult as Chandigarh to Jakheni, Udhampur checkpost is about 400km and the cutoff for entry is 1pm. Similarly if you take Jammu route the cutoff at Nagrota is 12pm.

Also for Srinagar to Kargil, 30th May is Monday and as per present rules Zojila pass is open only on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday from Sonamarg side. Plus the vehicles have to line up at 6am near Sonamarg check post. Reaching Sonamarg so early from Srinagar may be difficult.

However situation may improve by the time you are planning.
Thanks for the valuable input, I definitely have to replan my stop. What I can do is : Chandigarh - Jammu and next day Jammu - Sonamarg, By this I may have to skip stay at Kargil and do Sonamarg - Leh. Hopefully by the time I do the trip situation eases out.

Quote:
Follow J&K traffic police twitter for daily traffic updates.

I am also planning Leh around similar time from Mumbai
Followed, just learnt about dynamic traffic restriction due snowfall on Manali - Leh Highway, dated 3rd May.

DM your dates, let’s see if we can bump into each other.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-bde98694c659405abc76e6a38285cfa1.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
There are travel restrictions between Sonamarg - Kargil. As of now its closed on fridays. Opens 6-10am from Sonamarg on tues/thurs/Sun and 4-6pm on Mon/Wed/Sat. Got this info from HVK sir. Please plan accordingly and find out latest before leaving.
Thanks, Apratim attached the notice and it’s there on JnK Traffic Police twitter handle.

Quote:
GP, skipping Pangong Tso is like going to Agra to see agrafort and not going to Taj Mahal. I would suggest make it single night in Nubra and drive to Pangong for 2nd night. Also read above about travel restrictions between Sonamarg and Kargil.
Alright, I’ll consider this. May be I can do Nubra - Turtuk - Pangong.
GP19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 11:13   #2155
BHPian

Hello All,

I have just returned from Leh and roaming around Leh-Ladakh between 18-29 April. Here are some quick updates.

I had landed in Leh on 18th April and travelled to Nubra via Khardung-La on 22nd and witnessed fresh snow fall. The road condition is good all the way from Leh to Thang village (PoK boarder @ Turtuk).
A picture very close to Khardung-La top
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_7166.jpg

I had been to Pangong on 24th via Shyok route. The roads are ok except few bad patches, as of now not many water crossings are as the glaciers are still intact and not started melting. Luckily Pangong Tso is not forzen and in full glory
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-pangong.jpg

Did Hanle - Nyoma - Tso Moriri (Korzok) on 26th. The road from Nyoma to Korzok is in bad shape.

The ice just started melting @ Tso Moriri
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-tsomoriri.jpg

Tso Moriri from view point just after Korzok village. Lake was completely frozen
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-tsomoriri2.jpg

Did Tso Moriri - Puga hotsprings - Tsokar - Debring - Leh on 27th. The stretch between Puga hot springs and Tsokar is horrible. However the surface quality improves after Tsokar all the way to Manali-Leh highway intersection. The roads between Debring and Leh are in good shape except some pockets where repair work is underway.

Hope this helps the upcoming travellers.
hillsnrains is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:53   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, is this 1 PM cutoff timing at Udhampur checkpost expected to extend into June or it is more of a short term issue? I was planning Noida to Patnitop direct on 4th June (Saturday). If this restriction is on a more permanent basis then may have to stay back at Udhampur.
Old 4th May 2022, 16:46   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, is this 1 PM cutoff timing at Udhampur checkpost expected to extend into June or it is more of a short term issue? I was planning Noida to Patnitop direct on 4th June (Saturday). If this restriction is on a more permanent basis then may have to stay back at Udhampur.
Better call J&K traffic police before finalizing plans and also on travel day - numbers given here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5309672 (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)
unoczar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 19:07   #2158
BHPian

Hi Everyone!

Appreciate everyone who contribute to this thread to make it such a mega guide for anyone who is planning to embark on a trip to meet the mighty Himalayas.

Like everyone else, I'm finally so close to start my maiden trip to the Himalayas this weekend. Here is a rough plan for the trip I have charted out after going through the forum and also talking to friends who have done this multiple times. Sharing it here just in case if anyone has any additional inputs around the same.

Name:  Ladakh Itenary.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  139.0 KB

I'm going to rely on online bookings for Neemrana, Amritsar, Srinagar and Shimla (or Manali during my return). Kargil, Leh, Nubra, and Pangong, I'm going to book directly (by calling the property/hotel). While I have already shortlisted hotels for these locations, suggestions are welcome (not planning to spend a lot on stay (below 4K range).

Drive Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 20:06   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hi Everyone!

Appreciate everyone who contribute to this thread to make it such a mega guide for anyone who is planning to embark on a trip to meet the mighty Himalayas.

Like everyone else, I'm finally so close to start my maiden trip to the Himalayas this weekend. Here is a rough plan for the trip I have charted out after going through the forum and also talking to friends who have done this multiple times. Sharing it here just in case if anyone has any additional inputs around the same.

Attachment 2304161

I'm going to rely on online bookings for Neemrana, Amritsar, Srinagar and Shimla (or Manali during my return). Kargil, Leh, Nubra, and Pangong, I'm going to book directly (by calling the property/hotel). While I have already shortlisted hotels for these locations, suggestions are welcome (not planning to spend a lot on stay (below 4K range).

Drive Safe,
R-Six
Best wishes R-six. Look up my plan as well. I am going to be 1-2 days ahead of you on the same circuit.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 20:22   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Best wishes R-six. Look up my plan as well. I am going to be 1-2 days ahead of you on the same circuit.
Thanks Supertinu! If you notice a Smoke Grey Ford Ecosport with LTD sticker on the rear hatch, don't hesitate to flag me down for a quick hello!

You have a safe trip as well!
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks