Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 23:32   #2011
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Tso moriri / Karzok village is roughly at 15,000 feet above m.s.l. and sleeping at such altitude for two nights may not be a very good idea. Make sure you are well acclimatized and well hydrated. Since Karzok is towards the end of your trip, it should not be of much issue, but you have to be careful about yourself and your travel companions.

Hanle has one of the most clear skies in entire Ladakh for star gazing.
Yes. As you say hoping it will not be an issue by then but will shorten a night if we face any problems with AMS. We also might go visit Chandratal if it doesn't snow that time and we feel like it.
Old 9th September 2021, 13:09   #2012
BHPian

I visited Leh past week and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
Places visited:
Tso Moriri and Hanle

Ascent via manali and descent via Srinagar.

Manali-Leh highway was not closed, did not face any landslides. Road from Sarchu to Pang are under construction and vehicles will face mild offroading and a lot of sand/dust.

For Tso moriri online passes work but for Hanle, stamp from DC office is required. Leh to Tso Moriri was done via Mahe. Post Mahe bridge, roads are rough.
Returned via same route and turned towards Hanle from Mahe bridge again. Checkpost at Mahe and Loma enroute check passes and make entries. Roads are mostly fantastic, with some rough under-construction sections. Both places provide excellent night skies but cold winds played spoilsport.
We returned from Hanle via twin lakes Ryul and Chilling Tso. Roads were bad/non existent till Nyoma. A friend twisted his ankle and we had to shorten the trip.
The return was via Srinagar-Jammu. Apart from Zozi La, roads were excellent. We made good time. A death of political leader in Srinagar caused unplanned stoppage at Sonamarg. We had to do Sonamarg to Chandigarh in one go. Took us 14 hrs.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 15:27   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
I visited Leh past week and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
Places visited:
Tso Moriri and Hanle

Ascent via manali and descent via Srinagar.

Manali-Leh highway was not closed, did not face any landslides. Road from Sarchu to Pang are under construction and vehicles will face mild offroading and a lot of sand/dust.

For Tso moriri online passes work but for Hanle, stamp from DC office is required. Leh to Tso Moriri was done via Mahe. Post Mahe bridge, roads are rough.
Returned via same route and turned towards Hanle from Mahe bridge again. Checkpost at Mahe and Loma enroute check passes and make entries. Roads are mostly fantastic, with some rough under-construction sections. Both places provide excellent night skies but cold winds played spoilsport.
We returned from Hanle via twin lakes Ryul and Chilling Tso. Roads were bad/non existent till Nyoma. A friend twisted his ankle and we had to shorten the trip.
The return was via Srinagar-Jammu. Apart from Zozi La, roads were excellent. We made good time. A death of political leader in Srinagar caused unplanned stoppage at Sonamarg. We had to do Sonamarg to Chandigarh in one go. Took us 14 hrs.
Great info. Did you have guys have issues related to AMS?
Old 10th September 2021, 00:41   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Great info. Did you have guys have issues related to AMS?
We did not face any issues. As a precaution, we stayed in Leh for 2 nigts before travelling further. Also we took diamox 125 mg as a precaution for first 4 days. We did face slight breathlessness after physical exertion but that was expected and handled accordingly.

On another note, in a lot of places, BSNL will be only working cell connection. All homstay and guesthouse owners/operators had those. They lent their phones to us for making calls to our families.
Fellow travellers enroute are helpful generally and will stop for assistance.
Be prepared and have an adventurous spirit, you will enjoy the journey. First aid kit, basic medicines, puncture kit, tyre inflator are things you should carry with you. Carry sufficient water and snacks. Whenever we stopped for lunch/breakfast, we got a set meal packed in anticipation for any delays till the next meal.

Last edited by 88_TANK_88 : 10th September 2021 at 00:53.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 05:56   #2015
BHPian

If you are coming by flight and with family, you may follow this advice. I have been in Leh twice, once with small kid.

Take a morning flight to Leh. On the same day, be in hotel, rest. Do not go anywhere.
Visit local monasteries on day 2.
On day 3, have breakfast, go around the leh market, have lunch, go to Khardung La, come back. Khardungla is a mess in the morning with loads of cars going towards Nubra, you won't get a parking spot. Around 2, its absolutely empty, you can take as may photos as you want peacefully.
On Day 4, rest in Leh, go around different places in Leh.
On Day 5, Go to Pangong and come back to Leh on the same day.
On Day 6, take a return flight.

The above itinerary will likely keep you and your family very safe and also cover major points. Nubra valley is over hyped in my opinion, unless of course you are very adventurous. Staying in Pangong is an absolutely bad idea.

I have enough insight with local people due to work and travel, if you are travelling with family please do not go by what travel operators say. There is no fun in being down with AMS while you are on vacation.

AMS can be deadly, if you go to Leh hospital, apparently there is a new block to accommodate tourists who are adventurous and end up being in hospital.

I have stayed in high altitude in other countries, have been skiing regularly, still I was hit by AMS on a day when I had to cross Khardungla twice, once in morning and once in the afternoon while coming back.

Do not stay in Pangong. Talk to locals and you will know. No there is no law and order situation but they will tell you how many people get into severe health trouble by staying in Pangong overnight.

The reason they say, is the nearest vegetation for Leh is 400 kms away in Kashmir. Leh is all mountain desert. In all other places, like Alps or other countries, vegetation is in the same place down, not 400 kms away.

If you are going with family, I can share some hotel contacts who would actually help you out. I have no affiliation to them, but have come across few wonderful people over time who actually care about your well being and not about commercial profit.

Last edited by sumannandy : 16th September 2021 at 05:58.
sumannandy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:42   #2016

Preparing Honda Jazz for Zanskar

Good Morning Everyone !

Hope you guys are having a good Sunday. I am planning a solo trip to Zanskar in the first week of October in my Honda Jazz.

I am planning to take the new route from Keylong- shinkula- Padum - Kargi l-Leh-Manali and back to Delhi.

My car is in a good overall mechanical condition, recently serviced, brand new tyres. I have read few travel forums that the new Keylong-Shinkula-Padum road is not a good condition. So I want to get an insight from all you travel veterans about :-

A) The road conditions on this new route ?
B) Is it a wise idea to take a car like Honda Jazz with low ground clearance on this route ?

C) If Yes, how can I prep my car. I am worried about the car getting damaged from below, can I do something to protect it ?

Your suggestions will be of great help here for me to plan this adventure.
Old 19th September 2021, 18:12   #2017
BHPian

Re: Preparing Honda Jazz for Zanskar

Go ahead without any reservations. A jazz doesn't have the GC of a Lamborghini or a Ferrari and people have tacked these terrains on sedans
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:52   #2018
BHPian

If you car has been maintained and in good shape, no worries. Do the trip and use common sense when negotiating bad roads and drive at speeds according to road conditions.
I have driven on very bad roads in Romania with more holes than asphalt. Speeds were down to about 2-3 km/hours and driving zig zag. A 2 km stretch of road took 20 minutes.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:02   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

GC won’t be much of an issue. Just keep your tire pressures pumped. In case your car is a petrol, the weedy engine will be a bit of an issue. Expect a worn clutch by the end in that case.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:13   #2020
BHPian

Reached Leh

Reached Leh.

I travelled from Sikkim to Leh. Just reached Leh from Jispa (Manali Highway) Jispa Leh is less than 9 hours. Roads are fantastic.

Now going to stay here for some days and explore.

RTPCR not required if double dose vaccination. Upsi Checkpost charges 100 rs for entry and 100 for vehicle spray sanitization. And entry. Thats it. Prepaid SIMS wont work from Jispa.

My route was Sikkim Siliguri Muzzafapur Lucknow Delhi Karnal Ambala Rupnagar Bilaspur Sundernagar Mandi Kullu Manali Jispa Leh. Road bad near Bilaspur and near Lucknow potholes stradden highway. Rest fantastic. Kms Covered 2600+
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 07:17   #2021

Hello everyone. I’m planning a trip with my wife to Leh in the end of October.

We want to cover Leh - Nubra - Pangong - Leh over a week with a few sightseeing spots around these places that we will setup base in over the days.

Few questions:

1. Will the road from Leh - Nubra via Khardung-La be motorable? Hearing some caution about snow, but a bit unclear since it’ll be early winter

2. Will the road from Nubra to Pangong be motorable?

Clarification - we don’t plan to stay in Pangong, but just soak in beauty for a few hours and come back
Old 1st October 2021, 06:41   #2022
BHPian

URGENT HELP needed related to RT PCR:

I’m currently travelling with my family in Ladakh and yesterday evening came back to Leh. So far, we have been to Nubra valley, Pangong and some other places and it’s been a great experience so far.

We are flying back to Pune on Sunday 3rd October via Delhi. While wife and I are vaccinated, our two daughters are not as they are not eligible. I need to get the RT PCR test today for them. I would appreciate any help on where to get the tests done in Leh, how much it would cost and whether we can expect the results by Sunday morning. Thanks.

Last edited by MandarMax : 1st October 2021 at 06:42.
Old 1st October 2021, 14:16   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
URGENT HELP needed related to RT PCR:

We are flying back to Pune on Sunday 3rd October via Delhi. While wife and I are vaccinated, our two daughters are not as they are not eligible. I need to get the RT PCR test today for them. I would appreciate any help on where to get the tests done in Leh, how much it would cost and whether we can expect the results by Sunday morning. Thanks.
Found this with a quick search. Kindly make a call and confirm.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20211001141419_chrome.jpg

Other listed on Dr. Lal pathlabs website:
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20211001141822_chrome.jpg

Last edited by 88_TANK_88 : 1st October 2021 at 14:20.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:28   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
(This section contains important information)
Manali - Leh highway : Open
Srinagar Leh highway : Open

Rohtang Pass is open, but one way system is being implemented
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/...2l76yTDQL.html
Hello Tanveer ji,

Pl tell me if Fotu La and Namika La also get blocked by snow.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd October 2021 at 02:29. Reason: reducing quote size
Old 3rd October 2021, 02:29   #2025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello Tanveer ji,

Pl tell me if Fotu La and Namika La also get blocked by snow.
Not always. Kargil to Leh is often open even in winters, though temporary blockages may occur if snowfall is very heavy. Zojilla is the main pass which blocks the Srinagar Leh highway
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks