Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 04:07   #1891
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

From what I could gather about this route (Manali - Jispa - Shinkula - Padum) it seems like it is doable, but the roads are something to be reckoned with.

The good part is that this route saves one the trip to Kargil or Leh to get to Zanskar (from the North) - especially when that someone has done the Leh circuit already.

The access to Zanskar from the south appears to be one heck of a rollicking challenge - a road less travelled. In my pursuit to know more about this particular route, I stumbled upon this vlog from YouTube which talks about this exact route. ()

My friend and I (armed with an AWD Duster and a next gen Thar respectively), wonder if we should take this up head on.

And maybe start a new thread on TBHp to see if we can get some volunteers to partner us in this.
Slipstream11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:56   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
From what I could gather about this route (Manali - Jispa - Shinkula - Padum) it seems like it is doable, but the roads are something to be reckoned with.

The good part is that this route saves one the trip to Kargil or Leh to get to Zanskar (from the North) - especially when that someone has done the Leh circuit already.

The access to Zanskar from the south appears to be one heck of a rollicking challenge - a road less travelled. In my pursuit to know more about this particular route, I stumbled upon this vlog from YouTube which talks about this exact route. (https://Youtu.be/_lCYVsK941g)

My friend and I (armed with an AWD Duster and a next gen Thar respectively), wonder if we should take this up head on.

And maybe start a new thread on TBHp to see if we can get some volunteers to partner us in this.
Im thinking about this too!!! Maybe I can jump in too with my Veh.
regards
Old 28th October 2020, 20:44   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Hi, any luck with this route? Although it is bit late in the year, I am planning to explore this during upcoming holidays. Any info on whether exit from Kargil - Srinagar would be possible in another 1 week from now? Basically planning to do Manali - Shinkula - Padum - Kargil - Srinagar (or vice versa).
Old 28th October 2020, 21:00   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Hi, any luck with this route? Although it is bit late in the year, I am planning to explore this during upcoming holidays. Any info on whether exit from Kargil - Srinagar would be possible in another 1 week from now? Basically planning to do Manali - Shinkula - Padum - Kargil - Srinagar (or vice versa).
The valley has had its first snowfall already. While approaching Shinkula from the North (Srinagar - Kargil) might still be doable but getting there from the South side (Manali - Jispa - Padum) might be a bit of a stretch, especially because of the road conditions and lack of thoroughfare.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 20:16   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Weather advisory issued on 09th Nov. for J&K and Ladakh.
Please travel with caution.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1605019468864.jpg  

Old 14th November 2020, 13:18   #1896
BHPian

Hi Experts,

I am planning for a trip to Ladhak from Bangalore. Need your inputs.

Vehicle: Ford Freestyle
Ground Clearance: 190mm
Fuel Type: Diesel
Fuel Tank: 40lts
Average Mileage: 20kmpl on highways (Not sure how it would be through the high altitude passes in the region)

Question:
1. Till things get better in Kashmir, no point planning the journey via Kashmir, right?
2. I do not want to stick to the popular circuit of Leh-Nubra-Pangong-Leh. Its too crowded. I want to visit Hemis. Rough plan is Leh-->Nubra-->Pangong Tso-->Hemis-->Tso Moriri(optional)-->Manali. I am not sure of fuel availability after Nubra, any idea? I cannot think of carrying more than 10 lts of fuel in jerry cans because of limited boot space.
3. Is the ground clearance good enough for the Pangong Tso Hemis Tsomori Manali sectors?
4. I can think of 15 working days of leaves at max. This includes buffer days. Is that okay?

Thanks in advance.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 23:17   #1897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
Hi Experts,

Average Mileage: 20kmpl on highways (Not sure how it would be through the high altitude passes in the region)

Question:
1. Till things get better in Kashmir, no point planning the journey via Kashmir, right?
2. I do not want to stick to the popular circuit of Leh-Nubra-Pangong-Leh. Its too crowded. I want to visit Hemis. Rough plan is Leh-->Nubra-->Pangong Tso-->Hemis-->Tso Moriri(optional)-->Manali. I am not sure of fuel availability after Nubra, any idea? I cannot think of carrying more than 10 lts of fuel in jerry cans because of limited boot space.
3. Is the ground clearance good enough for the Pangong Tso Hemis Tsomori Manali sectors?
4. I can think of 15 working days of leaves at max. This includes buffer days. Is that okay?

Thanks in advance.
You have addressed this to the experts. Though I am not an expert, I submit my two pennies:-

1. I suggest that you visit Hemis during your two days stay at Leh.
2. I also suggest that you tweak your route as follows: Leh- Nubra- Pangong- Tso Moriri- Tso Kar- Jispa- Manali.
3. You will get fuel at Diskit and also Hanle (from jerry cans with guest houses). You will also get fuel at Tandi, after Keylong.
4. In case you are choosing to do Nubra- Pangong- Chushul- Tso Moriri- Manali, your 40 litre tank may not be enough. I suggest you carry 20 litres atleast in jerry cans.
5. Ground clearance is not a problem in these sectors unless you plan to be adventurous and try to scale Umling La or Marismik La (Both would anyway not be open being close to the Chinese border).
6. 15 days may be a stretch. 18 days should be catered for from Bangalore, provided you make good speeds and stick to your plan. Budget for two buffer days in between and one full day of rest at Leh for acclimatisation.

Note: - That said, with the current build up in borders, Pangong Tso may not be accessible. Chushul and Tso Moriri sector too.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 01:33   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Experts,

Question:

Thanks in advance.
I just wanted to check are you doing a solo trip or with family or friends
Old 15th November 2020, 11:07   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
You have addressed this to the experts. Though I am not an expert, I submit my two pennies:-

1. I suggest that you visit Hemis during your two days stay at Leh.
2. I also suggest that you tweak your route as follows: Leh- Nubra- Pangong- Tso Moriri- Tso Kar- Jispa- Manali.
3. You will get fuel at Diskit and also Hanle (from jerry cans with guest houses). You will also get fuel at Tandi, after Keylong.
4. In case you are choosing to do Nubra- Pangong- Chushul- Tso Moriri- Manali, your 40 litre tank may not be enough. I suggest you carry 20 litres atleast in jerry cans.
5. Ground clearance is not a problem in these sectors unless you plan to be adventurous and try to scale Umling La or Marismik La (Both would anyway not be open being close to the Chinese border).
6. 15 days may be a stretch. 18 days should be catered for from Bangalore, provided you make good speeds and stick to your plan. Budget for two buffer days in between and one full day of rest at Leh for acclimatisation.

Note: - That said, with the current build up in borders, Pangong Tso may not be accessible. Chushul and Tso Moriri sector too.

Thanks for your inputs. I am thinking of Nubra- Pangong- Chushul- Hanle. Stay there for a night. And then if time permits visit Tso Moriri(stay a night there) and then back to Leh Manali highway.

When I say 15 days, I meant 15 working days which translates to around 23 calendar days. If it needs more than that then it would be impossible for a corporate slave like me. :(

Also for the access part, do you know of a trustworthy agent(NOT HVK, read terrible experiences here on team-bhp) who can guide us and get permits. No point travelling 2.5K+ km if I cannot visit the places I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
I just wanted to check are you doing a solo trip or with family or friends
It would be me and my wife. A friend might join us if his work permits.
Old 15th November 2020, 12:30   #1900
Distinguished - BHPian

I assume that you are planning to do this trip next year in Aug- Oct period.
Further, I also assume that by then the present uncertainties and restrictions for travel in that regions would have eased out.

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. I am thinking of Nubra- Pangong- Chushul- Hanle. Stay there for a night. And then if time permits visit Tso Moriri(stay a night there) and then back to Leh Manali highway.
I have done the same route that you intend to do. Leh- Nubra- Pangong- Hanle- Tso Moriri- Jispa- Manali. I ascended from Srinagar - Kargil- Leh and completed the circuit through the route mentioned above.

Quote:
When I say 15 days, I meant 15 working days which translates to around 23 calendar days.
23 days is sufficient time to do the trip a desired, with ample breaks in between and acclimatisation.

Quote:
Also for the access part, do you know of a trustworthy agent(NOT HVK, read terrible experiences here on team-bhp) who can guide us and get permits. No point travelling 2.5K+ km if I cannot visit the places I want.
It's not going to be 2.5k+ kms. It is but 6000+ kms to and fro. I had taken guidance of HVK for my trip and my experience has been good. I do not have anything to complain. Rather, I had taken his guidance for my trips to Bhutan, Sikkim, Tawang and ML too.

To answer your question, I do not know any agent at Leh who can arrange for permits. Probably someone else in the forum may be able to help you.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 12:40   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
I assume that you are planning to do this trip next year in Aug- Oct period.
Yes. I have started planning early just to kill the boredom and travel virtually.

Quote:
It's not going to be 2.5k+ kms. It is but 6000+ kms to and fro. I had taken guidance of HVK for my trip and my experience has been good. I do not have anything to complain. Rather, I had taken his guidance for my trips to Bhutan, Sikkim, Tawang and ML too.
When did you travel to these regions? Also did you refuel from Hanle or any other homestays? Any issue with the fuel? I have a notion that people up there do not usually cheat people.
Old 15th November 2020, 13:06   #1902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I have started planning early just to kill the boredom and travel virtually.
If planning now is to kill time, then it's ok. Otherwise, things are pretty fluidic there and it would be best to start planning when you know for sure that tourists are permitted there.

Quote:
When did you travel to these regions? Also did you refuel from Hanle or any other homestays? Any issue with the fuel? I have a notion that people up there do not usually cheat people.
1. I travelled in Aug- Sep 2017.
2. I fuelled up from Diskit and also Padma homestay at Hanle.
3. I didn't find any issue with quality of fuel.

Note:- I have a 70 litre tank, which gave me a mileage of around 10 kmpl in the hills. On highways, it gave me 14- 15 kmpl. I carried 20 litre jerry can. My fuel tank "distance to empty" never went below 250 kms throughout the trip.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:13   #1903
BHPian

Both the routes to Leh (Srinagar and Manali) offer unique experiences. You can ascend up through Srinagar and come back via Manali.

Hanle is indeed offbeat, the observatory is splendid. Do try to spend a night in Hanle. The night sky is an experience you will never forget.

Pangyong Tso is very clichéd. See if you can visit Merak village which if I am not mistaken, is on the southern side of the lake. That is less populated and less commercial.

On the GC, you will see locals plying there Maruti 800s and Altos there - but it's there backyard and they know the roads in and out. Hence a lot would depend upon the driver. Have someone spot for you, don't just dive in blindly - especially if you have to navigate a river bed crossing.

Avoid night driving, the driving dynamics change and suddenly things become a lot more challenging. Black ice is another thing you would want to avoid.

I prefer Ladakh mid-May to June. That's just after the valley opens up for tourists.

My two cents from my experiences.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:08   #1904
Senior - BHPian

This video describes the two new routes to Leh from Manali. In future these are going to be 24x7 roads.

ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:06   #1905
BHPian

Hey BHPians, need some advice on the following.

1. Planning a Delhi-Manali-Leh trip in January. Is it doable easily? Delhi-Manali is doable. I want to know about Manali to Leh.

2. Are the roads from Manali-Leh closed in night time or can be travelled?

3. My Car is a 2020 Skoda Karoq (1.5 TSI) Petrol. 50 Litre Fuel tank with a 14-16 Kmpl highway mileage. How much extra fuel should be carried.

4. Which route to take? I’m okay in taking my car through non-tarmac roads but not comfortable doing off roading/ taking a route that could damage my Vehicle. (Vehicle came installed with Skoda Rough Road Package so, all underbody plates are there)

5. Advices on where to stay and what to do.
(I’m a 23 year old who will be visiting with my girlfriend and maybe another couple) preferred accommodation is with all creature comforts. (Heated water, heated rooms and attached western toilets with running water a must)

Any more suggestions as to what to carry / precautions, etc.

I will also be carrying an Oxy99 cylinder with oxygen mask in case of an emergency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks