Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 18:16   #2086

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The roads to Leh generally open only after Mid May and aren't open for public before that. If your time schedules are fixed though, you could go by flight to Leh.
The road from Srinagar opens first and the first 15 days the BRO repairs the road as it is completely destroyed every year. The road from Manali opens a bit later (but this year could be a bit earlier as Rohtang pass tunnel has now avoided some of the challenge areas. But snow clearing would still take time.
Thank you for your advice. I guess we'll have to delay the trip to mid May. Hopefully the Leh-Manali route will open by May end.
Old 3rd April 2022, 00:16   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.ARPIT View Post
Thank you for your advice. I guess we'll have to delay the trip to mid May. Hopefully the Leh-Manali route will open by May end.
I am also planning similar trip for 2nd and 3rd week of May. I believe the Srinagar Leh route is already opened up due to lesser snow this year on trial basis. It came in news. Worst case if Manali-Leh is not open you can always return back the same way. But safe to do this trip in may than from April.
Old 4th April 2022, 14:00   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, one more question. XUV has a tank capacity of about 72L which gets me almost 1000km in plains but in Leh region I am assuming I shouldnt expect more than 600-650km on a single tank. Is that enough for covering LEH-NUbra-pangong-leh trip, not sure about fuel stations. Or should is consider emergency jerry can? Which is another pain since i dont have a roof carrier and dont want to carry diesel in the cabin.
I hope you are making great progress on your trip plan. Although, I'm late for the response here. I think you would not need to carry fuel with that kind of fuel capacity you have on XUV500 and availability at Leh, Diskit, Karu and Tandi.
In your route plan, once you refuel at Diskit, it should take you all the way till Karu even after you decide to go via Shyok and then Hanle directly without returning to Leh. As others suggested, carrying a jerry can is one option during the emergency and another is fuel that you can purchase from certain shops (keep that as the last and emergency option only) in the villages enroute.
I have experienced XUV500 tank range during my Char-Dham ride and during my Spiti ride, even while riding mountains, full load and 5pax, I was getting very good range, around 900+kms. All the best!
My plan of visiting Zanskar+Leh during 2nd week of June taking some shape, still need to work on it.
All the best!

Last edited by Ketan : 4th April 2022 at 14:04.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 15:01   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

Does this mean the roads to Leh are open? Motorcycles too?

Quote:
!!! UPDATES !!!

मनाली-लेह सड़क (NH-003) दारचा तक तथा पांगी सड़क (SH-26) सभी प्रकार के वाहनों के लिए खुली है l

अधिक जानकारी के लिए संपर्क करें:
जिला आपदा नियंत्रण कक्ष:
9459461355 ,
कंट्रोल रूम:

Manali-Leh road (NH-003) up to Darcha and Pangi road (SH-26) are open for all types of vehicles.

Control Room:
Old 5th April 2022, 15:13   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Does this mean the roads to Leh are open? Motorcycles too?
Only from Manali till Darcha for regular traffic. Beyond Darcha, only BRO and Keylong Official 4x4 cars are going at the moment. A close friend went in his Safari last week, he also had to turn back from Darcha.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 10:55   #2091

Hi All, I'm planning a trip to ladakh in mid June from Delhi. I would be going and coming from manly side as the family is concerned about security in Kashmir. Is it advisable/possible to drive from solang valley to leh directly? How much time does it take? Is a stop in between recommended?
Old 10th April 2022, 11:27   #2092

Have anyone done Ladakh trip with Pet Dog, any guidance on pet friendly accommodations enroute/ Leh other locations in Ladakh
barista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:56   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.ARPIT View Post
Hello,

We are 3 friends planning to do Jaipur-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Jaipur for 12 days in April end or May first. Is it advisable? Any update on roads opening? And what about roads inside ladakh? Leh-Nubra, Leh-pangong? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
As per : https://leh.nic.in/weather-and-road-status/ and news reports , the Srinagar - Leh route is open
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-lehroutestatus.jpg
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:36   #2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
As per : https://leh.nic.in/weather-and-road-status/ and news reports , the Srinagar - Leh route is open
Attachment 2295189
Thanks Anuj for the update. Looks like Leh-Manali section is still closed but it is expected to open earlier this year.
Old 11th April 2022, 19:04   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Speed limits in Ladakh UT.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1649683918395.jpg
Old 11th April 2022, 19:44   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My friend is planning for Bangalore-Srinagar-Leh-Bangalore trip in May with wife, daughter (7y) and brother in law and his wife. Trip plan is as below

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 461
Size:  42.2 KB

Talegaon Dabhade and Udhampur: Got inlaws and friends.
Brother in law and wife will join in Srinagar and leave from Chandigarh

Car: Ciaz Petrol

Please suggest
1. Any precautions to be taken.
2. Any improvements on routes
3. Recommendations for places to stay
4. Anyone wants to join along in own car.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 11th April 2022 at 19:48. Reason: adding missing details
Old 12th April 2022, 19:05   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Hi,

Attachment 2295463

Car: Ciaz Petrol

Please suggest
1. Any precautions to be taken.
2. Any improvements on routes
3. Recommendations for places to stay
4. Anyone wants to join along in own car.
Ciaz is relatively low GC car and immediately i would suggest not to attempt Merak to Hanle. Since it is a long trip it will very likely be loaded reducing GC even further.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:55   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
precautions to be taken
Merak to Hanle would be a tough drive on a Ciaz. Also, don't go by the route that google map shows by default. It is showing you the nearly non-existent road through Chushul.

Also, with your current plan, you'll be without a fuel station for close to 500-600 KMs. After Hunder, I think you will find the next pump in Karu. So you might have to plan for that as well.

Anyway, as you discuss and rework the plan, things should be more in place.

I'm planning a road trip to the Himalayas as well. But my plan is to hit the road towards the end of April. Lets see how it goes.

Drive safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:58   #2099

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Leh in June with wife and son (13 years old). Here is the tentaive intineray after reading through earlier posts and suggestions and tweaking it slightly.

Car Ford Endeavour 2.0 4WD

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-itinerary-.png

Need advise on following:
  1. Any suggestion / feedback on itineray / route.
  2. Access to petrol pumps on this route.
  3. Suggestions on stay options at desitnation locations in Hunder, Pangong, Hanle and Tso Moriri
  4. Any other suggestions / feedback welcome

Thanks a lot !!
Old 13th April 2022, 13:06   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

My friend is planning for Bangalore-Srinagar-Leh-Bangalore trip in May with wife, daughter (7y) and brother in law and his wife. Trip plan is as below
Pardon the directness, but this is not a great plan. Out of the 20 days in the trip, only 7 days are in Ladakh. Of the days in Ladakh, there is just one day of rest. Where are the days to soak in the beauty of the place and just be? Driving days in the mountains are measured by time and not distance and a 200km drive could easily take most of the day. This plan is just one endless drive from one place to another.

On the return journey, there are several days of long slogs (Jispa, Chandigarh, Adilabad, Bangalore). All of this in a fully loaded, single car. With a 7 year old. It will not be fun at all.

Please persuade them to fly in to Leh and spend all their time in Ladakh instead of pointlessly slogging it out on our dusty highways in the heat of May. If they really want to drive, they could fly into Chandigarh and rent an SUV.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 13th April 2022 at 13:10.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks