Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 14:45   #2281
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hello team,

Planning a ladakh trip since long - doing it in my Swift Dzire 2014 which has done 75k till now. Preparations mentally and physically are underway. Need your inputs on this itinerary. Does this look good? Should I add Turtuk in this with a night halt? I don't want to stay overnight at Pangong since I'll be traveling with wife and 8 year old son and we don't like cold.

Also, I'm getting mixed info about the temperatures I'll be facing in September. I've seen -15°C to 15°C as low temp in September from historical data. Can someone give me precise info as to how low does it get in September?

C, E - Altitudes
F - change in altitude
G - distance

Top row got cut!
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_20220714_084415.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th July 2022 at 08:17. Reason: readability
Old 18th July 2022, 21:42   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Hello team,

Planning a ladakh trip since long - doing it in my Swift Dzire 2014 which has done 75k till now. Preparations mentally and physically are underway. Need your inputs on this itinerary.
Swift 2014 is fine as long your tyres are new or have at least 2/3 life left in it. Don’t try to cover all places instead enjoy more at chosen ones. You can choose Turtuk and stay there as well. There is a good option there. Turtuk is 80 km/ 3.5 hrs drive from Nubra valley, take a call accordingly. Typically people choose between Turtuk or Siachen base camp. Both are in different direction and need more than 1/2 day or even full day. Siachen base camp is pure luck and you can be denied entry based on troop movement. No separate pass required or can help you visit that place. So basically Turtuk becomes a obvious choice. Just remember, if you stay at Turtuk, the drive to Pangong will be very long and you would need to stay near Lake. You can stay at Tagste after visiting Pangong (if you want to return to Leh next day) or stay at Merek if you want to go to Hanle or Tso Morori. In later case you also need to carry fuel.

Alternatively, people stay overnight at Hunder or Diskit in Nubra and not at Turtuk. Start early from Nubra visit Pangong and return to Leh the same day.
Nubra- Pangong: 4.5-5 hrs
Pangong- leh: 4-5 hrs depending on Chang la pass condition. You need to cross Chang la by 3-4 PM and thereafter leh is an very easy drive.
You can’t spend more than 1 -2 hour at a time at Lake. Too cold.

Coming to temperature, it may sound funny, cold places like Pangong remains cold, be it June or September. You can’t bear in June and so in September.
Leh town again will be clear sky and days are bright irrespective of temp of June/Sept. Nights are cold, slightly more cold in September but you may not feel the difference.
Coldest place are near to water and not the snow-filled high passes even if it show -3 deg C. The snowfall is result of warming of atmosphere (relatively)

Last edited by Wanderers : 18th July 2022 at 21:50.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:20   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Swift 2014 is fine as long your tyres are new or have at least 2/3 life left in it. Don’t try to cover all places instead enjoy more at chosen ones. You can choose Turtuk and stay there as well. There is a good option there. Turtuk is 80 km/ 3.5 hrs drive from Nubra valley, take a call accordingly. Typically people choose between Turtuk or Siachen base camp. Both are in different direction and need more than 1/2 day or even full day. Siachen base camp is pure luck and you can be denied entry based on troop movement. No separate pass required or can help you visit that place. So basically Turtuk becomes a obvious choice. Just remember, if you stay at Turtuk, the drive to Pangong will be very long and you would need to stay near Lake. You can stay at Tagste after visiting Pangong (if you want to return to Leh next day) or stay at Merek if you want to go to Hanle or Tso Morori. In later case you also need to carry fuel.

Alternatively, people stay overnight at Hunder or Diskit in Nubra and not at Turtuk. Start early from Nubra visit Pangong and return to Leh the same day.
Nubra- Pangong: 4.5-5 hrs
Pangong- leh: 4-5 hrs depending on Chang la pass condition. You need to cross Chang la by 3-4 PM and thereafter leh is an very easy drive.
You can’t spend more than 1 -2 hour at a time at Lake. Too cold.

Coming to temperature, it may sound funny, cold places like Pangong remains cold, be it June or September. You can’t bear in June and so in September.
Leh town again will be clear sky and days are bright irrespective of temp of June/Sept. Nights are cold, slightly more cold in September but you may not feel the difference.
Coldest place are near to water and not the snow-filled high passes even if it show -3 deg C. The snowfall is result of warming of atmosphere (relatively)
Thank you for the info. Tyres are new in front and a couple years old at rear. Don't ask why they're different. Planning to keep 2 spares just in case.

I'm thinking of spending 2 days for Nubra/Hunder/Turtuk. This way I'll be fresh for a loop of Pangong-Leh in one day.

I don't plan on going to Hanle/Umling La/Tso Moriri. Don't want to take unnecessary risks.

So, it's a sure shot then, I have to pack my warmers and woollens. Actually, my dates have shifted ahead by 20 days. We'll be starting from Hyderabad on 17th September now. Leh and around days will be 23-30 SEP.

So my doubts are now - Is Srinagar to Leh easily doable in 1 day or should I stop at Kargil? where do I have a chance of snowfall, if any? and is it advisable to plan my return via Manali - around 1/2 OCT?

Last edited by unoczar : 18th July 2022 at 22:23. Reason: extra Q
Old 18th July 2022, 23:02   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to keep 2 spares just in case.

I'm thinking of spending 2 days for Nubra/Hunder/Turtuk.

So my doubts are now - Is Srinagar to Leh easily doable in 1 day or should I stop at Kargil? where do I have a chance of snowfall, if any? and is it advisable to plan my return via Manali - around 1/2 OCT?
Keeping only one spare is fine. Just keep tyre inflator and puncture repair kit with new strips. No need to carry extra weight and reduce GC of car. For Maruti, everything is available in Leh and most common parts in Nubra or even Turtuk. Also over-inflate your tyres by 3-4 points, may be nitrogen. Load and bad road need more.

Out of the two, stay first night at Turtuk and next night at Nubra (Diskit/Hunder). Remember to tank up at Diskit in evening itself as there may be some queue in morning as people like to tank up while leaving for Pangong.

Srinagar- Leh can be done in a day but don’t hurry. There is plenty on route. Do enjoy Zozila war memorial, LOC view from Kargil. Keep a day to stay in between or even Sonmarg as you cannot be sure if you can allowed to cross Sonmarg whenever you want but morning time you would generally be allowed. We left Srinagar at 530 in morning, reach Sonmarg at 7:30 am and there was no one at check post (in fact we did not realise that we already crossed the check post till we started climbing up) but a day before traffic was stopped due to heavy rains (unlikely in your case). Just start following J&K traffic police Twitter handle for any circular or update but reality could be different. In all probability you will not be stopped in morning.

Make it simple and choose to stay at Sonmarg and you are well informed. If you cross Sonmarg check post by say 10 am, you can reach Leh at your will even late as roads are great after Zojila. Normally Sonmarg- Leh takes 9-10 hours but account for 4-5 stops totally 2-3 hours.

Snowfall would be pure luck and more likely in Leh- Manali highway or may be Khardung La. Zojila very unlikely.

Although Leh- Manali highway has improved a lot, cloudy condition/ rain or snowfall overnight determines traffic next day. Again key is to start early from Leh and cross Upshi check post before 7-8 am.

Remember, for entire Leh trip, right from Jammu, early start will always pay-off. You will be least likely to face stoppage or traffic jam. Easy said then done but we did with kids and had plenty of time in evening. Anyway one has limited thing to do after 9 pm so sleep early and start early.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th July 2022 at 04:18. Reason: Very minor spacing fix.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 06:32   #2285
BHPian

Hi, can someone tell me current requirement with regards to vaccination upon entering J&K and Ladakh? I'm not vaccinated but willing to do a RTPCR from say Delhi and move upwards. Will that do?
Old 19th July 2022, 12:57   #2286
Senior - BHPian

At all Team-BHPians, is there anyone planning for a Leh-Ladakh trip from Pune/Mumbai etc. in August this year by car? I am thinking of making this trip and was looking to see if there are others who are planning this trip around the same time.
Old 20th July 2022, 20:52   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Tyres are new in front and a couple years old at rear. Don't ask why they're different. Planning to keep 2 spares just in case.

I'm thinking of spending 2 days for Nubra/Hunder/Turtuk. This way I'll be fresh for a loop of Pangong-Leh in one day.

I don't plan on going to Hanle/Umling La/Tso Moriri. Don't want to take unnecessary risks.

So, it's a sure shot then, I have to pack my warmers and woollens. Actually, my dates have shifted ahead by 20 days. We'll be starting from Hyderabad on 17th September now. Leh and around days will be 23-30 SEP.

You can dig back on this thread from March onwards to get most of your answers.

I did same circuit in early May. Not sure about sept conditions in terms of snow. But just keep in mind that Leh Manali journey is toughest both physically for humans and also for the car. Since you have an old car do all kinds of preventive maintenance like suspension overhaul, new tires, new batt, new belt, hoses etc before you go. Sept will be cold and it will be tough if there is a break down.

Srinagar to Leh i would suggest stop over at Kargil and enjoy the drive both days. Lots to do. check my post below for route details from may.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5321269 (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 21:38   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
You can dig back on this thread from March onwards to get most of your answers.

I did same circuit in early May. Not sure about sept conditions in terms of snow. But just keep in mind that Leh Manali journey is toughest both physically for humans and also for the car. Since you have an old car do all kinds of preventive maintenance like suspension overhaul, new tires, new batt, new belt, hoses etc before you go. Sept will be cold and it will be tough if there is a break down.

Srinagar to Leh i would suggest stop over at Kargil and enjoy the drive both days. Lots to do. check my post below for route details from may.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5321269 (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)
Thanks a lot for this.

According to what I've read till now, May-June differs a lot from Sep-Oct, in terms of tourists, roads, weather etc.

So, I'll probably rely more on people's experiences in September last year than the more recent peak tourist season. Hopefully, BRO will be done with a lot more repairs till then.

My car is almost ready for the trip. Suspensions replaced, new tires, new battery. Belts and hoses and fuses etc I'll get done a few days before start.

Also planning to buy cartons of Osmania biscuits for the folks in the mountains. (Thanks to Shreyas for this inspiration)

Last edited by unoczar : 20th July 2022 at 21:39. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th July 2022, 22:08   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for this.

According to what I've read till now, May-June differs a lot from Sep-Oct, in terms of tourists, roads, weather etc.

So, I'll probably rely more on people's experiences in September last year than the more recent peak tourist season. Hopefully, BRO will be done with a lot more repairs till then.

My car is almost ready for the trip. Suspensions replaced, new tires, new battery. Belts and hoses and fuses etc I'll get done a few days before start.

Also planning to buy cartons of Osmania biscuits for the folks in the mountains. (Thanks to Shreyas for this inspiration)
you are right. I did the trip at start of season when roads were just opening up. So I would expect road conditions should be much better towards end of season. You seem well set from car maintenance standpoint. Car is going to be your best friend in those conditions

Good idea about the biscuits. Addl suggestion I would give is to carry notebooks, colors, stationery for kids in the remote regions. I distributed where I could and also handed over the bulk to an Aanganwadi Primary school near Turtuk.
supertinu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 22:22   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Addl suggestion I would give is to carry notebooks, colors, stationery for kids in the remote regions. I distributed where I could and also handed over the bulk to an Aanganwadi Primary school near Turtuk.
Already gave this responsibility to my better half.
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 18:33   #2291
BHPian

Would you believe it? I was roaming around the Leh - Manali highway (on gmaps of course) and I saw an EV charging station at Jispa!

Don't know if it's operational or not. Here are the co-ordinates - J5QM+J54. May be a current traveler can verify this information.
Old 24th July 2022, 11:03   #2292
BHPian

Delhi To Srinagar in 1 Day

Dear Friends,

I am planning a trip to Leh, but I am short of time. I have total of 9 days and will be travelling from Delhi. I have done this earlier as well, but that was a 15 days trip, so need help and guidance from the experts.

I have below question:

a) I am planning to do Delhi Srinagar in 1 day - is it possible, if I start at 4 am. I think it will take 14-15 hrs. Please suggest.

b) Stay in Srinagar overnight and then start early morning for Leh. I planning to reach Leh same day by evening. Please suggest- is it doable, I think it will take somewhere around 10 hrs drive.

I know it very hectic, but looking at the time I have, this is the only option.
Below is the tentative plan:

Day1- Delhi to Srinagar
Day 2- Srinagar to Lek
Day 3 &4 - Mandatory Stay at Leh so will cover places around Leh
Day - 5 - Leh to Pangong - overnight stay at Pangong
Day -6 Pangong to Hunder - overnight stay at hunder
Day 7 - Hunder to Leh
Day -8 - Leh To Manali
Day 9- Manali to Delhi

Please suggest.
Old 24th July 2022, 17:41   #2293
BHPian

Re: Delhi To Srinagar in 1 Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Dear Friends,

Please suggest.
Suggestion: swap day 5 and 6 i.e. go to Hunder first and then Pangong from Hunder.

Rest all is doable if you're lucky as all roads are not open all the time.
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 19:02   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Dear Friends,

a) I am planning to do Delhi Srinagar in 1 day - is it possible, if I start at 4 am. I think it will take 14-15 hrs. Please suggest.
Please check if traffic is allowed beyond Jammu after 12 PM. It was not allowed in early June.
Delhi- Jammu is 9-10 hours. Please plan accordingly.

Rest of the trip looks fine, except consider covering Hunder before Pangong.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 08:35   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Please check if traffic is allowed beyond Jammu after 12 PM. It was not allowed in early June.
Delhi- Jammu is 9-10 hours. Please plan accordingly.

Rest of the trip looks fine, except consider covering Hunder before Pangong.
I called Udhampur TCO and as per them, traffic beyond Udhampur will not be allowed after 2 PM. So looks like I have to break journey at Udhampur.
bruty is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks