Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2008, 20:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hvkumar : Don't be too much of a gentleman, use the road shoulders to break free of the long lines of trucks piled up.

And if at night, just follow the Volvo's as they slalom across the dividers ..
Old 9th March 2008, 20:49   #17
BHPian

Thanks for all the advice, I actually did the run last Sept (07), it was a NIGHTMARE. I had two accidents, in many areas the road was non-existent. I had left at 7am and reached Ahmedabad at 11PM!

I am hoping that roadworks around Surat and Baroda have become a lot more regulated. Last year it was a fight and everyman for himself.
Old 9th March 2008, 21:47   #18
BHPian

Start early. expect whole lot of traffic specially on outskirts of mumbai till manor,so even though roads are good you wont be doing more then 90-100.
Surat-Baroda is a problem,dont hesitate to follow cars when they go onto the "wrong" lane(oncoming traffic)
At Bharuch you might have to enter town,in that case better to take "Golden bridge" ask anyone in bharuch for directions and get back onto NH8,saves 10-12kms also
Old 10th March 2008, 09:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
At Bharuch you might have to enter town,in that case better to take "Golden bridge" ask anyone in bharuch for directions and get back onto NH8,saves 10-12kms also
Traffic jams start well before Ankleshwar town sometimes. Going into Bharuch town becomes difficult because the jam starts even before teh turn off at Ankleshwar town. Besides, the chaotic traffic inside Bharuch town does not inspire confidence.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:36   #20

I notice that there are no traffic jams on the Surat Junctions after about 12 at night just came 2 days ago. reached Baroda expressway exit at 11:30 and no jam till virar
Old 25th March 2008, 13:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

My uncle is planning to drive down from Baroda to Mumbai this week and would like to know the current route conditions and approximate time it would take. Please help guys. Which is the best route? Last time we went on that route, after Baroda we got bad traffic. hvkumar sir, please help.
Old 25th March 2008, 13:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Same NH8 via Bharuch, Ankleshwar, Surat, Navsari, Valsad, Vapi and Manor.

Your uncle can avoid Baroda bypass (where there are 5 flovers under construction), and if he leaves early (say, by 6 am), he will easily avoid the traffic jams at Ankleshwar and Surat bypass (3 flyovers under construction).

The roads are in good condition including in Maharashtra.

Once you cross Surat (assume a 3 hour drive from Baroda, assuming at least 30 minutes lost to traffic jams), you should do the drive very smoothly, and total time should not be more than 8 hours.
Old 25th March 2008, 13:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

.....assuming that he drives fast and starts early from Baroda. With an early morning start from Bombay, I do Surat in 3.5 hours and 2 more hours from there to Baroda in these road construction conditions. Buty sometimes, Ankleshwar town jams can be nasty (expect delay upto 1 hour, especially in evenings).
Old 24th July 2008, 08:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hey HVkumar, my uncle is planning on doing the same drive again from Baroda to mumbai and was a little apprehensive on the road conditions due to rains.

So should he take the same route that you recommended last time or has it gotten worse and is there any other better option.

He is eagerly waiting for your feedback. Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:57   #25
BHPian

Anyone done a Mumbai - Ahmedabad run recently?
I did one earlier this year in April, much of the highway was still under construction, but nearing finishing. I am planning a trip for late December.
What's the latest? Especially around Surat, Bharuch and Baroda.
Thanks
Old 1st December 2008, 17:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Between Surat and Baroda, traffic conditions are as always uncertain. Road condition is good, but thanks to the widening, and ensuing traffic jams (at Surat bypass, Ankleshwar town and Baroda bypass), expect delays. YOu can take anywhere between 7-9 hours for the journey. The bad roads around Virar (Manor-Ghodbunder, near Bombay) are repaired, but the Virar toll gate witnesses huge pile-ups thanks to some very inefficient ticket dispensation.
Old 1st December 2008, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Hi

I did Mumbai Baroda recently, till Surat it is very good, can do speeds of 90/110 kmph easily but after Surat things get really slow because of six laning in progress and also the flyover work. The roads from Surat to Bharuch are only two lanes. After Bharuch you can pick up speed but then it is not as good as Mumbai - Surat.

Have no clue about Baroda - Ahmedabad but from my experience i would say start early to avoid the evening traffic from Surat - Baroda - Ahmedabad.

the conditions of roads are very good till Surat once you enter Gujarat but then after Surat the flyover work starts so you would often come across the construction debris.

One thing for sure is that as soon as the flyover is built it would be great to do Mumbai - Ahmedabad

Mansi
Old 1st December 2008, 17:15   #28
BHPian

Thanks Kumar. I plan to leave Borivali early in the morning (around 6am), so should miss most Virar problems (hopefully!).
It's the jams in Gujarat I am more worried about.
How close are they to completing the Highway in Gujarat?
EDIT: Thanks Mansi for the latest info. I am not worried about Baroda - Ahmedabad, as the Expressway is first class. How long did it take you to do Mumbai - Baroda?

Last edited by Raja : 1st December 2008 at 17:18. Reason: Add comments
Old 1st December 2008, 17:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Work is progressing fast in Surat-Baroda section. Most of Surat-Ankleshwar section is 6-laned now, but road is not complete yet, hoping it will be over in next 2-3 months. In Ankleshwar-Baroda section, work is a little slower, but I think it should be over before next monsoons. Of great concern is the slower progress in teh flyovers which are causing huge jams in Surat bypass, Ankleshwar town and Baroda bypass, which I think will continue to slow down traffic for quite some time - maybe 6-12 more months.

Try to leave even earlier - say, 4 am - which will ensure trouble-free drive through Surat at least.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2008, 17:42   #30
BHPian

Great Suggestion for leaving early around 4 am Kumar.
I am only hesitating slightly because as it is winter, it's going to be very dark and lack of street lights would slow down driving speed. Are there many trucks/buses that early on the road? I could leave slightly later around 5 am and compromise? Thanks for the advice.

Most Viewed