Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbksc View Post
Which restaurant at Vadodara?
Which restaurant at Surat?

Information could be useful!
Refer to this post for more.

Also, be assured about one thing - Baroda to Thane, at least every 10 kilometers, you will get good to very good Vegetarian restaurants & food courts that you should not be bothered about it at all.

There are "Honest" Restaurants till Vapi on both sides.

There is Sugar and Spice after Surat bang in the center of the median.

On this stretch, good restaurants should be your last worry. Just drive.

In fact, even between Manor & Thane, you have plethora of choices. You see a lot of private cars, just pull over without second thoughts. Simple as that.

Barring Ahmedabad - Baroda (With just one food court) and Manor Ghat, this 500 kms stretch is a food highway.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th May 2016 at 16:15.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 12:02   #77
BHPian

I am told, traveling from on Mumbai Ahmedabad route Ankaleshwar - Bharauch section is worst to tackle due to bridge issues.

I am planning to Visit Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Surat in first week of November.

As per the schedule drawn we should reach Ankaleshwar by 3 pm. (approx. 9 hours from Pune including break for breakfast and lunch. is it good time to expect minimum traffic on the bridges?

Any suggestions fro breakfast between Dahisar and Vapi and lunch near Surat?
Old 27th October 2016, 14:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I am told, traveling from on Mumbai Ahmedabad route Ankaleshwar - Bharauch section is worst to tackle due to bridge issues.

I am planning to Visit Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Surat in first week of November.

As per the schedule drawn we should reach Ankaleshwar by 3 pm. (approx. 9 hours from Pune including break for breakfast and lunch. is it good time to expect minimum traffic on the bridges?

Any suggestions fro breakfast between Dahisar and Vapi and lunch near Surat?
I won't quote each of your queries but here is my detailed response just in case you are driving during the Diwali time.

There will be a lot of flow into Gujarat from Bombay prior to Diwali and that means the next 2-3 days will be unusually jammed around here, especially the Ankleshwar-Bharuch Section

Again, Sunday (30th Oct) is Laxmi Pooja and Monday (31st Oct) is Gujarati New Years' day. Expect less traffic on Sunday and to shoot up post noon on Monday onward for the next week at least.

So - 31st October Noon to 6th November are the days to watch out for. There will be traffic in both the directions after Diwali. This is mainly because those Businessmen who would have burnt the midnight oil doing brisk business for the festival will all head out to various destinations - Bombay, Rajasthan (Mt Abu), Daman & Diu & Goa.

Regarding your query on whether 3PM is a good time or not - Well as expected, when I checked now, the jams are already heavy to very heavy that maps calculate 1+ hour for a 15 kms distance - Irrespective of whether you take the usual NH8 or the Golden Gate bridge.

The left hand side part of the below pic should give you an idea that traffic is jammed on both these roads and the right hand side says it won't make any difference if you take the alternate road.

Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries-anlkeshwar-bharuch-01.jpg

One word of advise - Keep an eye on GJ05 (Surat) and GJ06 (Vadodara) cars heading towards Ahmedabad. Follow them than following cars from MH. Those will be regulars and they know what is the best option based on local experience and having traveled in this sector multiple times.

It has also happened that the Ankleshwar-Bharuch Authorities have barred even private cars during such festive rush as the detour taken by this traffic was resulting in super long snarls in thee 2 big towns.

Bottom line - Please rely completely on Googlemaps to assess traffic. Nothing beats that. The traffic shown is almost accurate on highways and based on that you can take a call.

Refer to this post where I have mentioned how to take a better call.

Crossing the Narmada River on NH8 - Golden Bridge or usual Highway?

Breakfast between Vapi and Surat - Many options. I cannot recall anything particular but you certainly won't find it difficult to stop by and have your breakfast. There was way too many places on this stretch due to the amount of private traffic here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 12:15   #79
BHPian

Just reached back from my Pune-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Surat-Pune drive.

It was all smooth experience. Much less fatigue than typical Pune-Goa trip.

In both directions I took Golden Bridge between Ankleshwar and Surat. Both occasions it was without any congestion.

Golden bridge is closed for four wheelers between 1700 hrs and 2000 hrs every day.

We ate at Sugar-n-spice chain but not the one near Navsari. It was good food. Krishna Park restaurant along Vadodara bypass is also good.

95% stretch is 6 lane between Mumbai and Ahmedabad. The Vadodara - Ahmedabad Expressway, however, is four lane and bit congested.

I was alarmed by the behavior on road in Gujrat. At traffic signals no one stops at red signal unless the attending traffic police stops them. Three or four people ride on one two wheeler right in front of police or warden. Anywhere in cities you can expect vehicles coming in wrong direction. (Thankfully, not so much on highways)

Roads, at least highways, are well maintained. At toll plazas there are Fastag lanes and only vehicles with Tag are allowed to get into those lanes.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 13:01   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
95% stretch is 6 lane between Mumbai and Ahmedabad. The Vadodara - Ahmedabad Expressway, however, is four lane and bit congested.
And now with the 6 laning of Vadodara - Ahmedabad NH (not the Expresssway) complete, it is a popular choice and takes similar time. Few of my relatives doing Navasari - Rajkot also said they don't take the NE1 anymore.

I will be exploring that in coming month for the first time although last drive I missed the exit for NE1 and continued on the NH till the first Break in the median and the experience was excellent till there.

Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries-ne1_nh64.jpg

Honestly, I am now done with the Expressway. It has lost its glory. No more good drivers and almost everyone drives in every lane and indulge in overtaking dangerously from the shoulder designated for emergency parking too.

Only 5-7 years before, the experience driving here was fantastic and even during the day a light flash of headlight and the vehicle ahead made way for you on its right by moving left so that you can overtake!
Old 14th November 2016, 20:13   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting pictorial update on the new bridge on Narmada between Ankleshwar - Bharuch.

Photo Courtesy: Narmada Channel Page on FB.

Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries-14992084_1087537404677249_7205603222171560660_n.jpg

Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries-15032134_1146290132114906_37223648473067739_n.jpg

Hoping that this one gets functional soon and make way (an easy and a fast one) for one of the most unpredictable sectors between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th November 2016 at 20:16.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 20:13   #82
BHPian

Hi guys,
Planning to go from thane to Ahmedabad to Bhuj on coming Sunday, let me know which route to take and how are the road conditions.
Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 09:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Hi guys,
Planning to go from thane to Ahmedabad to Bhuj on coming Sunday, let me know which route to take and how are the road conditions.
Thanks
The shorter route from AMD via Sanand-Dhrangadhra-Halvad-Malia-Bhachau-Dudhai-Kaniyabe-Bhuj-This route bypasses Gandhidham/Anjar and road has been reported to be in good condition.4 laning has been complete is what I last heard.

The longer route is Thane-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Bagodara-Chotila-Bamanbore-Morbi-Gandhidham-Bhuj
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 15:41   #84
BHPian

I travelled to Mum-Ahm on 17th Dec and returned on 23rd.

A couple of observations:
Toll - The one after Virar is a nightmare. I lost 1.5 hrs at 6:30-8:00 am going towards Ahm. Plus they were accepting only cash as PoS won't connect. I also saw that many cars were taking the wrong side to beat the truck line. Incidentally, on my return they waived me off again because of the traffic jam. This is interesting because I travelled further during the week and at every other toll point along Mum-Ahm-Rajkot-Somnath-Dwarka-Jamnagar-Ahm-Mum route, I paid by card. In most cases it took less than 45 seconds.)

(Dis) Honest and Food Way, etc. - All have an A4 paper stuck on the door saying "Credit/Debit cards not accepted - only Cash ". At least when I walked in (3 of them) they had not more than 1-2 tables occupied (typically they have waiting over weekends this time of the year). When asked, standard reply was "have ordered for machine, will come from 1st Jan". No PayTM or other electronic payment options either. We saw at least half a dozen customers walk back from the door in the few mins we were at each one, but these guys seemed least bothered about losing business on account of cash only policy. Didn't stop at Sugar n Spice.

Bridge over Narmada - While travelling towards Ahm, one still has to take the Golden Bridge driving inside Ankleshwar. The new bridge remains a distant dream. When returning to Mum, crossing over the NH8 bridge is a breeze (assuming you are in a car or LMV - but not something like a Winger).

Police checks - All vehicles (not just non-GJ) be prepared to be stopped by Police for checks especially on the SP ring road outside Ahm. They are stopping almost everyone probably due to the demonetization drive.
subuiyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 17:22   #85
Senior - BHPian

Is 14th Jan - ( Makar Sankrant ) a good day to travel from Mumbai to Baroda?
I assume most people would travel a day earlier, but I don't mind driving on that day if traffic is lower than Friday.

Need your suggestions so that I can plan accordingly.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:07   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Is 14th Jan - ( Makar Sankrant ) a good day to travel from Mumbai to Baroda?
I assume most people would travel a day earlier, but I don't mind driving on that day if traffic is lower than Friday.

Need your suggestions so that I can plan accordingly.
Yes you can. I was there in GJ last year exactly during Sankrant. This is a day most of the Gujjus will remain home, fly kites and celebrate and roads will be relatively free.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
Police checks - All vehicles (not just non-GJ) be prepared to be stopped by Police for checks especially on the SP ring road outside Ahm. They are stopping almost everyone probably due to the demonetization drive.
In addition to these being the last dates before the 30th Dec deadline for Demonetization, there is heightened checking now through the New Years as the State Government gets cracking on Prohibition with rigor not seen in the last couple of years. Even inside the city there are cops at most junctions and near late night hot spots armed with Breathalyzers.

Out of state cars / SUVs seem to be getting special attention. I guess this will remain till the end of Vibrant Gujarat 2017 (11-13 Jan).
Old 10th January 2017, 19:50   #88
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Planning a drive from Mumbai to Kensville Resort for a wedding in the family.

1. How are the roads to Ahmedabad?

2. How is the road to Kensville?

3. How much time should the drive take from Dadar to Kensville?

4. Best time to leave?

5. Any super eating joints (like Sunny's Dhaba on the Mumbai-Pune road)?

Thanks!
Old 10th January 2017, 21:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Planning a drive from Mumbai to Kensville Resort for a wedding in the family.

A. Fantastic!

A. Not sure - best to check with a local.

A. Depends heavily on - 1. Fountain bridge traffic 2. Bharuch bridge traffic - but ideally it should be around 8-9hrs.

4. Best time to leave?
A. Around 9-10pm - that way you'll be able to beat traffic both at Fountain and Bharuch (take Golden Gate).

A. Ahura at Charoti (although that'll be too early), The Honest brand of restaurants are good and reliable.

Thanks!
I've been on this route twice now - and the best time to leave is undoubtedly in the late evening.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 00:00   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Should remain your last worry. Won't say more than that.

Quote:
Nit entirely sure but this is closer to Ahmedabad and I can only dream of this small stretch to be bad.
Quote:
Ideally, Ghodbunder to Ahmedabad Ring Road entry from NE1 is at max a 7 hour affair (max) based on an early morning departure from Mumbai.

With buffer, you should still be able to manage this on a normal car with cruising of 100-110 In 8 hours end to end. Anything less than this is only going to be due to good departure timings.
4. Best time to leave?

Quote:
Would not compare with the legendary Sunny Da Dhaba but there are just loads and loads of eating option beyond Mumbai till Ahmedabad except the puncture called NE1 with just one food court.

Visamo (Kathiawadi), Sugar-n-Spice( Assorted options) to name a few. Of course I won't name McDs or Dominos when you have already benchmarked your options with Sunny Da Dhaba.

Overall, Mumbai-Ahmedabad is going to be a good Highway with plethora of Good Vegetarian options all the way to destination.

The only advise : Be wary about the Golden Bridge Traffic between Ankleshwar and Bharuch. I have git a detailed way to deal with it, logically that I will sure later tomorrow when I can post the posy detais from other threads with Video links.

4. BEST TIME TO LEAVE (missed this without any intention) Your bihgest bottlenecks are jusy 2-

1. Vasai Creek Bridge
2. Navasari- Surat
3. Ankleshwar - Bharuch

As you know Mumbai's truck rule, beat the mess by leabing at 0600 from Dadar. This way, you can break for Breakfast near Manor and cross Navasari-Surat by 1000 by when Peak traffic would be little thinner and that also will give you advantage to do Ankleshwar Bharucheck around 1200 and 1300 without getting into the city route.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2017 at 00:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks