Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:41   #31

While travelling to Rajasthan from Pune, I had left Pune at 3:00 AM and there was truck traffic till Vapi. Post Vapi the traffic was a little less. Mumbai-Ahmedabad is one of the busiest strech and in my opinion there is traffic all around.
akshayo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 13:31   #32
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries

just drove from pune to ahmedabad (night halt) and onwards to Greater NOIDA. the drive from Pune to ahmedabad was good, started from Pune at 6 AM and did not face any traffic hassels, reached Ahmedabad by 4 PM. no major halts. started from ahmedabad at 6.30 AM with a plan to stay at Jaipur, took the route from Udaipur to Chittaurgarh, Kishangarh and Jaipur, reaching Jaipur by 4 PM. since we reached early carried on to Delhi, how ever, the road from Jaipur to Delhi was under major renovation/expansion and the journey took much longer than expected. reached Greater Noida at 11.30 PM. hopefully, the improved roads when completed will make the travel enjoyable
deepakkher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:42   #33
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Planning to do Mumbai-Ahemdabad in near future (November-mid).
Most of the information on this thread is 3-4 years old. People doing this stretch regularly, can you please update on current road conditions (road-widening/bridge-constructions etc) and which stretches to watch out for traffic.

I would start around 4-5AM in the morning from Mumbai/Thane. With a breakfast break of 45 minutes, is it possible to reach Ahmedabad for lunch around 2 PM?

As suggested elsewhere by HVK, would prefer to stay in a hotel on the outskirts somewhere on the Sardar Patel ring road. Any hotel recommendations in the 1000-1200Rs range? Would be travelling with family and would need parking space.

Another question, should I book a hotel in advance or just try my luck after reaching there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Most of the information on this thread is 3-4 years old. People doing this stretch regularly, can you please update on current road conditions (road-widening/bridge-constructions etc) and which stretches to watch out for traffic.

I would start around 4-5AM in the morning from Mumbai/Thane. With a breakfast break of 45 minutes, is it possible to reach Ahmedabad for lunch around 2 PM?

As suggested elsewhere by HVK, would prefer to stay in a hotel on the outskirts somewhere on the Sardar Patel ring road. Any hotel recommendations in the 1000-1200Rs range? Would be travelling with family and would need parking space.

Another question, should I book a hotel in advance or just try my luck after reaching there?

Thanks in advance!
I drove on this section in APRIL. Fantastic roads through it. Roads were under renovation as we leave Thane.

Watch-out for Ankaleshwar and when you crosss river narmada. You have to drive thru Ankaleshwar town and cross the baruch railway station and thru the golden gate bridge to avoid jams.

This is very critical for your 2 PM target, else you will be stuck on bypass for hours together.

PS: I was guided by HVK sir on this trip

Last edited by F150 : 2nd October 2012 at 08:09.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Thanks in advance!
Road conditions are good.You should be able to do Ghodbunder Amd in around 8hrs.Plenty of places to stop enroute,including a Mcdie at Vapi(no washrooms!)The only trouble sppt would be the narmada bridge at Ankleshwar.If you see a jam either follow other cars and go via the wrong side or else go trough the town and take the golden bridge.if you leave early from Mumbai chances are that you would get stuck at ghodbunder in the long line of trucks.So keep an eye for that.Leaving around 6 should be ideal IMO as the trucks would have been cleared by then

Hotel Anjali on the SP ring roaf is ok-strictly budget.Or else Hotel Platinum (easily accessible) both around 1500 to 2000.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:01   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I drove on this section in APRIL. Fantastic roads through it. Roads were under renovation as we leave Thane.

Watch-out for Ankaleshwar and when you crosss river narmada. You have to drive thru Ankaleshwar town and cross the baruch railway station and thru the golden gate bridge to avoid jams.

This is very critical for your 2 PM target, else you will be stuck on bypass for hours together.

PS: I was guided by HVK sir on this trip
Thanks F150!
Attaching a map, just to reconfirm.
Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries-ankleshwar-shortcut.jpg

Do you mean, one should leave the NH8 at Ankleshwar and follow the route marked in Green (old NH8/SH76), pass through the Golden Bridge, pass by Bharuch railway station and then rejoin NH8?

Any other stretches to watch out for? How is Surat Bypass?

Any hotel recommendations - for either food or stay? Thanks

--------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
..if you leave early from Mumbai chances are that you would get stuck at ghodbunder in the long line of trucks.So keep an eye for that.Leaving around 6 should be ideal IMO as the trucks would have been cleared by then
Thanks for the tip, Ranjit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hotel Anjali on the SP ring roaf is ok-strictly budget.Or else Hotel Platinum (easily accessible) both around 1500 to 2000.
Thanks for the recommendations! Would check them out.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd October 2012 at 09:04.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks F150!
Attaching a map, just to reconfirm.

Do you mean, one should leave the NH8 at Ankleshwar and follow the route marked in Green (old NH8/SH76), pass through the Golden Bridge, pass by Bharuch railway station and then rejoin NH8?
Yes that's the route.

Quote:
Any other stretches to watch out for? How is Surat Bypass?
No other stretches to watch out for. Its is pretty much straightforward.

I drove from PUNE till Chittorgarh on DAY 1. I didnt stop at Ahmedabad, so cannot recommend any. I would go with Ranjit's recommendation on the hotel.

You can plan to stop for breakfast at McDonalds Vapi. They have washrooms but cleanliness is suspect. I remember going for No 1 at this place
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can either stay at Hotel Palazzo just before the NE1(Baroda-AMD Expressway).Place comes to your left,spacious resort with garden etc and good food.Tariff is in the range of INR 1500

Platinum Inn at AMD is on Anjali Char Rasta http://www.platinumhotels.in/
For this continue beyond the Toll Booth on the NE1 towards Ahmedabad.The Road ends on the Narol-Sarkhej road.Take a left and go till the end of the road till Vishala / APMC Market Yard.Take a right onto Vasna road and hotel is at the second circle. https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=17

Hotel Anjali (079-23272069/98/99),is on NH8, between Ahmedabad & Himmatnagar, approx 7-8 kms from Chiloda Circle when coming from Ahmedabad side.Once you exit Baroda expressway & get onto the S P Ring Road towards Udaipur, you will reach Ranasan Circle which is the point where you join NH8. From there approx 14-15 kms to Chiloda Circle and then another 7-8kms to Hotel Anjali,comes on the right side.Quite a few Tbhpians have stayed there during their Mumbai-Delhi drives.Strictly budget place.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
There is a new Best Western Takshila Hotel on the Sardar Patel Ring Road in case you have a more generous budget (one of our friends stayed there last month and found it excellent). Also a new Krishna Palace too, about which we have no reviews.

Hotel Anjali has gone down a lot of late. I would suggest pushing on to Hotel Landmark in Himmatnagar which is great VFM and a good clean place where many of our friends had a happy overnight stay.

No need to book anything in advance.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 16:33   #40

Reviving an earlier thread, as I'm planning to do this route tomorrow - Mumbai to Ahmedabad. Wonder if the situation that F150 talks about in Ankleshwar-Bharuch area still holds true? Anyone done this journey recently? Can they advise me if I still need to go off NH8 near Ankleshwar and get to the old NH 8 to avoid the truck pile-up?

Any other things to watch out for? I'm planning to leave at 5 am from Wadala, have breakfast at McD, Vapi and be in Ahmedabad for a late lunch perhaps. All good with the highways here? Thanks.
Old 8th January 2014, 19:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayankumar View Post
Reviving an earlier thread, as I'm planning to do this route tomorrow - Mumbai to Ahmedabad. Wonder if the situation that F150 talks about in Ankleshwar-Bharuch area still holds true? Anyone done this journey recently? Can they advise me if I still need to go off NH8 near Ankleshwar and get to the old NH 8 to avoid the truck pile-up?

Any other things to watch out for? I'm planning to leave at 5 am from Wadala, have breakfast at McD, Vapi and be in Ahmedabad for a late lunch perhaps. All good with the highways here? Thanks.
I did this 2 weeks back. Roads are excellent. I would suggest you to stick to road through Ankaleshwar and Bharuch Town. Roads are just re-laid. It wont take more than 20 mins to cross both the towns. While coming back you can use bypass as they allow small cars on the other bridge. I always go through the towns.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 19:21   #42

Thanks, abhijit. Is there a sign or something by which to know WHERE to get off the NH 8 and get into the towns? A landmark, signboard, etc…
Old 8th January 2014, 19:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, abhijit. Is there a sign or something by which to know WHERE to get off the NH 8 and get into the towns? A landmark, signboard, etc…
Hundred percent agree with Abhijit - best way is to go through the towns. The signboard for exit to Ankleshwar is quite prominent as you approach the town. The left fork goes into the town and the right fork (which you have to avoid) continues as the NH8 Bypass and the dicey bridges. Once you enter the town, its pretty straightforward till the Golden Bridge. In case you need further directions on how to rejoin NH8 after Bharuch town, please refer to detailed directions given by HV Kumar in one of the other threads "Mumbai-Udaipur"

Hope this helps

Last edited by suniladhiya : 8th January 2014 at 19:59. Reason: Typo
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 19:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Its 38KMs from the last toll at Chorasiya. When you approach Ankaleshwar you would see the direction board. You have to leave NH8 just before the flyover starts. Its right hander and very easy to miss. You would see Hotel Sun Plaza.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 23:10   #45
BHPian

Narayankumar
Hi
A very simple way to join NH 8.
After you cross the bridge you will see Bharuch station on the left.
Immediately after you will see a circle with hotel Sheetal in front of you.
Turn right at this circle and after 30 seconds you will come to Kasak circle which has a fountain.
Turn left and keep going straight and you will reach the highway.Turn left for Ahmedabad.A cop is normally stationed there.
Clean road and and quite a goodly amount of traffic i.e. after the Kasak circle.
The other way is to keep going straight to join NH 8 but I prefer the route that I have mentioned.Better road.
Hope this helps
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed