Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 21:52   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
After I enter Kerala, is it OK to just follow the GPS or is there any turns/deviations that I should be careful not to miss them?
The NH-47/NH-544(?) would take you directly to Kochi. Within 20-25mins after crossing the Walayar border, you will reach Chandranagar junction at Palakkad. The NH curves left while turning right, under the flyover would take you into Palakkad town. The service road and the main carriage way are of the same width here, so I've seen some long distance truckers entering the service lane by mistake.

Quote:
Also, any recommended place to stop after entering Kerala for a quick stop?
Note: I have not gone beyond Coimbatore.
With a 4 o'clock start, you will pass Salem by 6:30-7. My choice of break these days is the A2B attached to a KPN fuel station, about 20km after exiting Salem bypass through the spiral flyover. There's also a Saravana Bhavan about 4-5km further ahead. And another one after the flyover over the road towards Sankari town. This one is on the right side of the road

Last edited by ampere : 29th March 2016 at 22:12.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 15:58   #497
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Hi All,

I am driving to Alappuzha tomorrow from Bangalore. I would like to be on 4 lane highways as much as possible and would like to avoid median-less 2 lanes. I have driven till Salem and beyond on AH-44, but this is the first time I'd be driving on Salem to Alappuzha stretch, hence need some road condition enlightenment.

Route as per google: Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi - Palakkad - Thrissur - Ernakulam - Alappuzha.

Is this the best route for the easiest stress free drive? At is the ETA if I leave Bangalore at 3:00 AM? I'd take 2-3 short breaks for breakfast and tea

Thanks a lot
Old 12th August 2016, 17:05   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
I am driving to Alappuzha tomorrow from Bangalore. I would like to be on 4 lane highways as much as possible and would like to avoid median-less 2 lanes.

Route as per google: Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi - Palakkad - Thrissur - Ernakulam - Alappuzha.

Is this the best route for the easiest stress free drive? At is the ETA if I leave Bangalore at 3:00 AM?
Yes, this is the best route. At Salem the exit towards Coimbatore/Kochi is clearly signposted near the interchange. You will exit NH 7 and enter NH 47.

From Salem till outskirts of Coimbatore it is a 4/6-lane; Coimbatore bypass is a single-carriageway 2-lane road with many maniac drivers. Be very careful. The bypass toll is Rs. 31 which once paid, will see you through till the end - no need to pay any more tolls (until you enter Kerala and reach the Kanjikkode toll booth).

From the other end of Coimbatore bypass till Kerala border road is a mess. I believe the contractor has abandoned the 4-laning project in this stretch. :-)

Once you enter Kerala it is good going till Vadakkancheri, where the 4 lane ends and misery begins. A stretch of about 35 km is under construction with only a barely 2-lane road and heavy traffic.

That ends at Thrissur, after which you proceed on 4-laned road at least till beyond Kochi. Remember that at the Lulu Mall junction (Edapally) you have to take a left turn to bypass Kochi. All signposted. From Aluva till Edapally you have Kochi metro construction along the highway median so the going wouldn't be all that great.

I don't know about the road conditions beyond Kochi.

With a 3 AM start on Saturday you should be in Kochi by 12 noon and Alapuzha by latest 2 PM.

Edit: 1. Even though it is all part of NS corridor of NHDP, once you enter Ernakulam district the road will feel like our Bangalore ORR with heavy traffic, as you go through the commuter towns of Angamaly, Aluva and Kalamassery.

2. Kerala police is very strict on overspeeding on the highways; stick to the posted speed limits.

Last edited by binand : 12th August 2016 at 17:08.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 14:15   #499
BHPian

While going to Bangalore side, about 35 km before Salem, there is one left turn which guides through Konganapuram, Desavilakku and joins the highway again at Omallur. This is what google map shows for bye passing Salem Town.
Do we need to follow this or stick on to the Highway only?
Old 18th October 2016, 14:52   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
While going to Bangalore side, about 35 km before Salem, there is one left turn which guides through Konganapuram, Desavilakku and joins the highway again at Omallur. This is what google map shows for bye passing Salem Town.
Do we need to follow this or stick on to the Highway only?
This is being discussed here (All Roads to Kerala). Appears to be due to multiple flyover constructions on Salem bypass. It is better I'd say to follow this route rather than get stuck in a jam in Salem.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 01:26   #501
BHPian

Hi guys,

could someone enlighten me on the toll amounts to be paid? I will be going in a coupld of days, and I don't have too much cash with me at the moment. Since ATMs will be closed for a couple days, I want to make sure I am carrying enough.

Thanks,
--
Razee
Old 9th November 2016, 07:24   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
could someone enlighten me on the toll amounts to be paid? I will be going in a coupld of days, and I don't have too much cash with me at the moment. Since ATMs will be closed for a couple days, I want to make sure I am carrying enough.
Generally, on highways you can assume Re. 1 per km as toll. So Bangalore-Kochi toll would be around Rs. 600. Unfortunately I cleared out my car's receipt box a few days back so all old toll receipts are gone. :-)

Note that you need to have additional cash for fuel, food etc. - these outlets too would be predominantly cash-based unless you know in advance the ones that accept cards.
Old 9th November 2016, 07:34   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks,
--
Razee
You can check here, http://www.tollbetween.com/road-trip...calculator.php

Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries-snap1.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 07:41   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That doesn't seem right. Where are Vaiguntam, Omallur, Thoppur etc.? Chengapalli?
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 08:38   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That doesn't seem right. Where are Vaiguntam, Omallur, Thoppur etc.? Chengapalli?
Oh, yeah I didn't notice that. I think they have mentioned thoppur as "Palayam dharmapuri". But omalur is missing and one toll between Coimbatore - Salem is missing as well.

NHAI website has this information but it is not working currently.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 17:55   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Generally, on highways you can assume Re. 1 per km as toll. So Bangalore-Kochi toll would be around Rs. 600. Unfortunately I cleared out my car's receipt box a few days back so all old toll receipts are gone. :-)

Note that you need to have additional cash for fuel, food etc. - these outlets too would be predominantly cash-based unless you know in advance the ones that accept cards.
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Appreciate it. Does anyone know if they accept 500 rupee notes at the tolls?
Old 9th November 2016, 18:18   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if they accept 500 rupee notes at the tolls?
If you are travelling before 11/11 you are in luck:

https://twitter.com/nitin_gadkari/st...04081786585088
Old 9th November 2016, 18:21   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Appreciate it. Does anyone know if they accept 500 rupee notes at the tolls?
If you are traveling on or before 11th, then you will get at a free pass at tolls.
Toll tax across all National Highways suspended till November 11.
Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/econ...adkari/442258/
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 19:09   #509
BHPian

Quote:
If you are travelling before 11/11 you are in luck:

https://twitter.com/nitin_gadkari/st...04081786585088
Quote:
If you are traveling on or before 11th, then you will get at a free pass at tolls.
Toll tax across all National Highways suspended till November 11.
Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/econ...adkari/442258/
I just saw the same A couple hours before that they were accepting 500/1000 notes too. But I believe giving change became a problem.
Old 19th December 2016, 11:28   #510
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I intend to travel to Kochi in the last week of December (28th Dec to 1st Jan). I would like to know the following information

1. Good, Budget hotel to stay in kochi preferably in the heart of the city
2. I intend to cover the following temples: Chittoor krishna temple, Thirukkakara, Thirumoozhikulam near Kurumaseri and Kalady. To cover the above temples is staying in the heart of the city a good option ?
3. Apart from temples any other good places to see keeping in mind kids interest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks