Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 14:55   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Will be going Bangalore to Thrissur on 30 April with parents and wife, planning to take this route as it is shorter by almost 50kms as compared to via Salem, how is the road condition...
The savings in distance will be offset by an increase in travel time. Not to mention the increased stress levels of driving on busy roads for the most part.

If you are not too keen on the NH-7 & NH-47 option, you can consider the Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Walayar-Mannuthy route. As long as you leave a little early in the morning, the traffic on NH-209 won't be a bother. The only dampener is the lack of many decent hotels after Chamarajanagar and before CBE.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:47   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The savings in distance will be offset by an increase in travel time. Not to mention the increased stress levels of driving on busy roads for the most part.
Actually my motive is to reduce the travel time. My parents are reluctant to go by road and want to fly to Kochi, but I am trying to convince them otherwise as its 4 on board and lots of cost saving can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If you are not too keen on the NH-7 & NH-47 option, you can consider the Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Walayar-Mannuthy route. As long as you leave a little early in the morning, the traffic on NH-209 won't be a bother. The only dampener is the lack of many decent hotels after Chamarajanagar and before CBE.
The route you suggested shows more running time than the Mysore route on google maps! I have been on the regular route earlier in 2008 and cannot complain much except too much traffic between Bhavani and Coimbatore [BTW is that stretch still single lane] and after Palakkad [which is also single lane I guess]. I am Actually going to Raja island which is closer via Mysore route, Google Shows 405 kms and Salem route it shows 503, which is a big difference.

And I am very concerned about the road conditions which ever route I take, my parents cannot take bad roads, the car is a E280 CDI. So I better be careful.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:35   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually my motive is to reduce the travel time.

The route you suggested shows more running time than the Mysore route on google maps!

And I am very concerned about the road conditions which ever route I take, my parents cannot take bad roads, the car is a E280 CDI. So I better be careful.
The least travel time (not counting toll/check post time) I guess is the GQ route (NH 7/NH 47), Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Palakkad-Thrissur. This will also be the most comfortable for children/elderly, I think.

The Bangalore-Kanakapura-Ch. Nagar-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur route (NH 209/NH 47) is probably the shortest in terms of distance.

Bangalore-Mysore-Ch. Nagar is I think unnecessarily roundabout.

There are several small and large detours and alternatives to these two primary routes; best would be to read the last few pages of this thread.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 20:12   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The least travel time (not counting toll/check post time) I guess is the GQ route (NH 7/NH 47), Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Palakkad-Thrissur. This will also be the most comfortable for children/elderly, I think.

The Bangalore-Kanakapura-Ch. Nagar-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur route (NH 209/NH 47) is probably the shortest in terms of distance.

Bangalore-Mysore-Ch. Nagar is I think unnecessarily roundabout.

There are several small and large detours and alternatives to these two primary routes; best would be to read the last few pages of this thread.
Actually this is where I am to go, this place is closer to Guruvayoor than Thrissur.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ga...10.5342495!3e0

The NH7-NH47 comes to 503kms, whereas the via Mysore - Gudalur is only 405kms, but if the roads are no good then driving 100kms more is the only option for me I guess.
Old 7th April 2014, 21:23   #380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The NH7-NH47 comes to 503kms, whereas the via Mysore - Gudalur is only 405kms, but if the roads are no good then driving 100kms more is the only option for me I guess
The route via Gudalur has lots of twists and turns (Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam). Can easily make kids and elders uncomfortable.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 10:43   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be going Bangalore to Thrissur on 30 April with parents and wife, planning to take this route as it is shorter by almost 50kms as compared to via Salem, how is the road condition, this is the route map;
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ga...10.5276416!3e0
If you want to enjoy your drive without worrying about time, then go via Gudalur route. if time is a constraint, then go via NH7/NH47. Since the gudalur route is shorter, it does not mean that you will save time. It is actually time consuming.

I would propose an alternate route

Via Hosur, krishnagiri, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Avinashi, CBE by pass and Palakkad. Here you avoid Salem completely along with 2 tolls at Omalur and Sankagiri.

All said and done, it would be better if you leave bangalore early say before 6 AM. Do note that from April 1st onwards all toll plazas in TN have hiked the toll fares.

Happy Journey
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 20:45   #382
BHPian

Hi,

I am driving to Kochi from Bangalore (HSR Layout) on Wednesday. Planning to start by 5:00am, only me and a friend, vehicle is XUV. We need to reach Kochi (Vyttila) by 5:00pm.

Is this doable and which is the best route? Current plan:

HSR Layout- Attibele - Rayakottai - Dharmapuri - Salem - Avinashi - Palakkad - Trichur - Kochi.

Since team consists of only 2 men, we are not bothered about stop-over options. The objective is to save time and avoid congestion if possible.

Will Palladam-Polachi route be better than Cbe-Pkd option? Would also want to consider the above option posted by Suresh, but unable to locate the exact turn from NH and not sure about the road condition and time saved with this.

Cheers

Vindy

Last edited by VindyWheels : 12th May 2014 at 20:47.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:12   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
I am driving to Kochi from Bangalore (HSR Layout) on Wednesday. Planning to start by 5:00am, only me and a friend, vehicle is XUV. We need to reach Kochi (Vyttila) by 5:00pm.
Cant you start by 4AM. You would be in Salem by 6:30 and nearing CBE by 8/9 AM. Not sure on the traffic at Walayar nowadays.
Old 13th May 2014, 06:50   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Take the NH-7-NH47 route and you can do it easily. I took this route last month and here are the details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3414108
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 09:11   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

HSR Layout- Attibele - Rayakottai - Dharmapuri - Salem - Avinashi - Palakkad - Trichur - Kochi.
Looks good. XUV can handle the rough patches better than a hatch or a sedan, so Attibele-TVS-Rayakottai-Dharmapuri won't slow you down so much.

Quote:
Will Palladam-Polachi route be better than Cbe-Pkd option? Would also want to consider the above option posted by Suresh, but unable to locate the exact turn from NH and not sure about the road condition and time saved with this.
Palladam-Pollachi route is 2-laned throughout, and a little bit longer. You're better off sticking to the NH-47 all along, because once you cross Walayar, you get patches of 4-laned roads where you can zoom ahead.

Like Ampere suggested, an early start would be a good idea. At least, by 4am, so that you can cover more distance before traffic grows thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Cant you start by 4AM. You would be in Salem by 6:30 and nearing CBE by 8/9 AM. Not sure on the traffic at Walayar nowadays.
Walayar is far better compared to Chavadi these days, thanks to the unofficially opened 4-laned paths. The trucks take the left side carriageway to themselves in addition to the road going towards the checkpost office, so that other vehicles can use the right side one.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 09:29   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attibele-TVS-Rayakottai is not a wide road when compared to the Hosur-Rayakottai stretch. It will definitely bring down the average speeds.

I would suggest NH7 / Hosur-Rayakottai-Dharmapuri / Attibelle-Rayakottai in that order of precedence for a hassle free drive.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 09:37   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Since team consists of only 2 men, we are not bothered about stop-over options. The objective is to save time and avoid congestion if possible.

Cheers

Vindy
Here are my suggestions.

In Route 1, you go via hosur, Rayakottai, Palacode, Thoppur, Omalur town, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri and then NH47 all the way till kochi. Here you save toll at Krishnagiri, Omalur and Sankagiri. Good roads all the way.

Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries-route-1.jpg

I had been on the rayakottai-palacode stretch last month. Amazing roads all the way. One can consistently go at around 80 kmph.

In Route 2 , you go via hosur, Rayakottai, Palacode, Thoppur, Omalur town, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri and then NH47 till perundurai. From here you go via Kangeyam, Palladam, Pollachi, kollengode and Alathur before joining NH47 again. Here you save toll at Krishnagiri, Omalur, Sankagiri, Vijayamangalam and coimbatore by pass toll.

Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries-route-2.jpg
Old 13th May 2014, 14:27   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Is this doable and which is the best route?

Very much doable. Take the regular NH 7 - NH 47 all the way. With a 5 AM start, you can reach Vytilla by 2:30 PM comfortably. I did Bangalore - Vaikom and back few days back and could do it in 9:30 hours and 9:15 hours. Bangalore - Coimbatore is almost 4/6 lane end to end. You can stop for breakfast at Hotel Annalakshmi near Perundurai ( Approx 270 - 280 KMS from HSR layout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure on the traffic at Walayar nowadays.
I don't think there would be any issues at Wayalar at that time of the day. Also road has been widened.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 15:52   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Vindy
Mate, Do not take the Attibele-Rayakottai road . I would suggest Hosur-Rayakottai instead. During my last trip for the onward journey i took the hosur-rayakottai road. Amazing road to drive.
For the return journey, i took the Attibele-Rayakottai road. The road has been repaired at quite a number of places and it has been patched up with mud and stone at these places. At certain stretches, the road is good to drive.
While returning to bangalore by this route a lorry coming in the opposite direction generated so much dust over the patched area that at one point of time i was covered with dust cloud completely.
In the hindsight, i think i made a mistake by going by the attibele-rayakottai road.
Old 13th May 2014, 16:10   #390
Team-BHP Support

If @vindywheels commences his journey at 4AM, he may not need to take the interior roads to save time. He can just speed through the 4-lane.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks