Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:05   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Hi,

I plan on leaving Bangalore around 4 AM for a trip to Cochin. The route that I know and am comfortable with is:
1. Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Walayar - Palakkad - Thrissur - Cochin,

I heard that the following routes are pretty good too :

2. Bangalore - Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi - Alathur - Wadakancheri - Thrissur -Edappally - Cochin
and
3. Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Shoranur - Wadakancheri - Thrissur - Edappally - Cochin

Which would you recommend?

Car : Innova/Fortuner
Passenger count : 3 adults + 1 surprisingly well-behaved 3-yr old
Take the NH-7 & NH-47 route. Madukkarai-Walayar is a piece of cake for an SUV/MUV. Roads are good all along. If you want to avoid the mess at Hosur, then take Attibele-TVS-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri route to merge onto NH-7. Mind you, it's a two-laned SH with just an above average surface, but you have the advantage of sparse traffic, less distance and no tolls. Check the thread on All Roads to Kerala for more info on the route.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 16:11   #362
BHPian

Hi,
I will be travelling from Mysore to Kochi next week on Cruze (low GC) with family, and for the return will take Kochi - Bangalore.

The routes that I am planning for:

Mysore - Kochi:
Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamarajanagara - sathyamangalam - Annur - Karumathampatti - Kanjikode - Palakkad bypass - Thrissur bypass - Chalakudy - Ernakulam

I will be able to start only by 11am from Mysore, hoping to reach Ernakulam by 9pm.

Kochi - Bangalore
Ernakulam - Thrissur bypass - Palakkad bypass - Coimbatore - Avinashi - Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Hosur - Bangalore

Planning for an early morning start (6am) for this trip, reaching Bangalore by 6pm or so.

Pls advise.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:18   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Hi,
I will be travelling from Mysore to Kochi next week on Cruze (low GC) with family, and for the return will take Kochi - Bangalore.

Mysore - Kochi:
Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamarajanagara - sathyamangalam - Annur - Karumathampatti - Kanjikode - Palakkad bypass - Thrissur bypass - Chalakudy - Ernakulam

I will be able to start only by 11am from Mysore, hoping to reach Ernakulam by 9pm.

Kochi - Bangalore
Ernakulam - Thrissur bypass - Palakkad bypass - Coimbatore - Avinashi - Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Hosur - Bangalore

Planning for an early morning start (6am) for this trip, reaching Bangalore by 6pm or so.

Pls advise.

You can consider

Mysore - Nanjangaud - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Muthumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - N - Paravur - Ernakulam. This should be atleast 50 KMs shorter but will have heavy traffic

http://goo.gl/maps/J2Fz9

For the return, do not take the Mettur route. Come via Salem ( NH 7)
Old 16th December 2013, 17:12   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
You can consider

Mysore - Nanjangaud - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Muthumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - N - Paravur - Ernakulam. This should be atleast 50 KMs shorter but will have heavy traffic

How much time will the Mysore - Ernakulam route mentioned above take?
Old 16th December 2013, 18:00   #365
BHPian

Quote:
The route through Nilambur will take at least 1 hour more than the route through Chamrajanagar-Coimbatore. The reason being, after Gudalur you will hit the ghats and will be in Kerala. From here on, the roads are 2-lane, narrow and will have very heavy traffic during day time.
Old 16th December 2013, 20:02   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It would take around 9 hours.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:33   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Mysore - Kochi:

Kochi - Bangalore

Pls advise.
Second Pramod's suggestion,do not think of taking the Bhavani-Mettur route,its potholed and 2 laned.Not worth it.Stick to the NH47-nh7 combo and come via Salem.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:57   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can consider

...... Bandipur - Muthumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna ....

Vazhikadavu ghat was not in great condition. Since he mentioned low GC, better to avoid.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 21:35   #369
BHPian

Hi
Planning to drive for the first time from Bangalore to Cherai Beach Near Kochi, Please let me know which is the best route considering I will be travelling with wifey & 4 year old kid. Also I will be doing it in a hatchback (low GC), so would prefer good routes.
Any adivise beyond Krinagiri is higly appreciated. What would be approximate time taken for travel from bangalore hsr layout to cochin.

Thanks
Samsan
Old 20th December 2013, 22:02   #370
BHPian

I suggest that you stick to the normal hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-palakkad-trichur route. I've done that twice with two kids 2 and four in the last month.
Doing that route once again tomorrow.
Timings depend on your start time, with a real early morning start, with kids it would take you around 10-11 hours.
cooljai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 19:20   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi
Planning to drive for the first time from Bangalore to Cherai Beach Near Kochi, Please let me know which is the best route considering I will be travelling with wifey & 4 year old kid. Also I will be doing it in a hatchback (low GC), so would prefer good routes.
Any adivise beyond Krinagiri is higly appreciated. What would be approximate time taken for travel from bangalore hsr layout to cochin.

Thanks
Samsan
Standard route till Thrissur(NH7-NH47).At Thrissur,you would have to enter the town and go via Irinjalakuda-Kodungallur-N.Paravur-Cherai.Budget for 1.5hr-2hrs from Thrissur to Cherai.

This is the best route to take from Mannuthy to Cherai

http://goo.gl/maps/Jfplz
Old 4th January 2014, 23:00   #372
BHPian

Quote:
You can consider

....Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - N - Paravur - Ernakulam. This should be atleast 50 KMs shorter but will have heavy traffic

( NH 7)
Not at all advisable. Had taken driven through Nilambur - Gudalur two months back. The roads are a mess, if the drive uphill is not enough. Don't even think about this route during late evenings, you won't be able to see through due to thick fog.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:11   #373
BHPian

Will be going Bangalore to Thrissur on 30 April with parents and wife, planning to take this route as it is shorter by almost 50kms as compared to via Salem, how is the road condition, this is the route map;
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ga...10.5276416!3e0
Old 7th April 2014, 14:15   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Will be going Bangalore to Thrissur on 30 April with parents and wife, planning to take this route as it is shorter by almost 50kms as compared to via Salem, how is the road condition, this is the route map;
That 50km reduction has the potential to increase your time of drive! Its much better to stick to the regular NH7/NH47 route to Palakkad - Trichur. And also more than the drive, it would also tire you out, thanks to traffic and 2-lanes.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2014 at 14:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 14:19   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Will be going Bangalore to Thrissur on 30 April with parents and wife, planning to take this route as it is shorter by almost 50kms as compared to via Salem, how is the road condition
I am planning to take this route on my Bangalore-Perumbavur trip on 18/4; will post condition updates here.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks