Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 22:33   #226
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
On the move in this route. I will update entire details later. For the time being:

Worst stretch:-Wadakancherry to pattikad. Fully damaged because of rain.

Trissur to Kochi- Absolutely fantastic.

Toppur- not worth the toll paid.
Why Wadakancherry to pattikad? Or is it V*cherry only? Is this via CBE or Pollachi?
Old 1st July 2011, 22:53   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the move in this route. I will update entire details later. For the time being:

Worst stretch:-Wadakancherry to pattikad. Fully damaged because of rain.

Trissur to Kochi- Absolutely fantastic.

Toppur- not worth the toll paid.
I guess the official Palakkad-Thrissur-Ernakulam route is going to be the one via Ottapalam-Wadakancherry for the next couple of years till the 4 laning is complete.
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:47   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Why Wadakancherry to pattikad? Or is it V*cherry only? Is this via CBE or Pollachi?

It is after Cbe. That is after crossing the L& T Palghat bypass, you will have to take a left diversion which will bye pass Palakkad town and this is the trissur bye pass road in which you get Alathur Bye pass road etc. I am taking about Wadakkancherry to Pattikad in which the Dharmasastha temple also comes.Apart from this is there any route to trissur is it?

Last edited by rki2007 : 2nd July 2011 at 07:49.
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:15   #229
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from this is there any route to trissur is it?
@rki2007 - We were discussing the alternate routes between Palakkad-Trichur in the earlier posts on this thread (and on another thread where current road conditions are being discussed) like the one from Palakkad-Ottapalam that can be used instead of the regular NH47 route which has worsened due to monsoons.
After you return from the trip if you can share your experience of road conditions on the entire journey it will definitely help others.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd July 2011 at 09:18.
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:32   #230
BHPian

I went in to the mettur road looking at the roads turned back and went on to Salem then NH47. Road fantastic till after Bhavani.

Then L&T road (remember to buy 31/- toll ticket and retain it need to show that multiple times).

Then Palakkad to Thrissur via: Pattambi road, at Kulappully take left via wadakkanchery reach Trichur town. This road especially up to kulappully is very good except for no median.

But my problem had started as I was approaching Palakkad as the engine had miss-fired couple of times. I filled LPGas in Palakkad and proceeded the miss-firing became frequent in low speeds, but managed to reach Kulappully easily. As I was just 30+km from destination, I just decided to keep going. About 5km before wadakkanchery it went for a toss, the engine is running at very high RPM only no control over that with accelerator peddal. Managed to reach a residential place, with the help of local people left the car inside the compound of a house. By then had called my friend who came and picked us up. I had also called the Hyundai customer care who gave the number of the service center manager in Thrissur who will be helping me tomorrow with a service engineer to fix the car.
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:34   #231
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I went in to the mettur road looking at the roads turned back and went on to Salem then NH47. Road fantastic till after Bhavani.

Then L&T road (remember to buy 31/- toll ticket and retain it need to show that multiple times).

Then Palakkad to Thrissur via: Pattambi road, at Kulappully take left via wadakkanchery reach Trichur town. This road especially up to kulappully is very good except for no median.

But my problem had started as I was approaching Palakkad as the engine had miss-fired couple of times. I filled LPGas in Palakkad and proceeded the miss-firing became frequent in low speeds, but managed to reach Kulappully easily. As I was just 30+km from destination, I just decided to keep going. About 5km before wadakkanchery it went for a toss, the engine is running at very high RPM only no control over that with accelerator peddal. Managed to reach a residential place, with the help of local people left the car inside the compound of a house. By then had called my friend who came and picked us up. I had also called the Hyundai customer care who gave the number of the service center manager in Thrissur who will be helping me tomorrow with a service engineer to fix the car.
Thanks for the road conditions update !
Is the Mettur road very bad ? Recent posts on road conditions in few threads mentioned the road is good 2L. Anyways, as I had mentioned earlier, I prefer to stay on NH7 lways.
The L&T bypass toll system has been like this since it started - though you pay for the entire journey, you need to show the receipt at the remaining toll counters. We definitely need a better toll payment/tracking system for our highways.

Hope the issue with your car is resolved soon.Just curious, is it the first time you're facing an issue with the LPG kit ? I've always been apprehensive about LPG though without any first hand experience.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2011 at 08:40.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:56   #232
BHPian

I really can't comment on the mettur road except for the first 5 to 7 km that I went, all of it had tar and lot of pot hole repaired with tar that left uneven surface. My friend took that road was happy with that he drives a honda city (open for opinion/perception). Personally unless there is a need to go to mettur, I would rather go on till Salem then to NH7 the road is great till after Bhavani and most importantly (for me) its got divider...

My experience with LPG has been great, I have driven 28+K km of 50k km on gas already in this car, (I have already recovered my cost and making profit as compared to if I had run all those in petrol). My previous zen (really old one not mpfi which had done 1.5l km before after I owned it, it did another 20+km with me all on gas, again no issues. I have a long list of highway travels of both on gas, best one being last December I did a 3800 km 5 states 13 day trip all on gas!!! (I am planning to write a review of the retro fitter who did my santro job - hopefully will come shortly)

The problem, the L tube going from air filter to the engine had split in to two, we put some duct tape around it, drove to hyunday service center in thrissur. The spare part will be available tomorrow! My trip effectively postponed till tomorrow. So all is well as of now! That's the story in short, had to make several calls and Escalations for it to happen. More when I get to my computer hate typing on BB.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:27   #233

Hello,
How is this road.
I have heard this road is all NH, no loops, nice country side, lots of hotels, eating points, best of all takes just 30 mins more than shortest route.
please suggest.
Thanks.
Manas.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasingh View Post
Hello,
How is this road.
I have heard this road is all NH, no loops, nice country side, lots of hotels, eating points, best of all takes just 30 mins more than shortest route.
please suggest.
Thanks.
Manas.
I don't think its worth. Bangalore-Mysore and NH17 will be congested especially during day time.

Last edited by coolclouds : 5th July 2011 at 18:58.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:19   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
How is this road.
please suggest.
Thanks.
Manas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I don't think its worth. Bangalore-Mysore, Calicut-Kochi will be congested especially during day time.
Totally second Cool Clouds opinion,this is going to be too tiring a route which would leave you with no strength to enjoy any of the country side,it is going to be a never ending drive after Wayanad.Dense traffic and patched up roads in the rains.

Stick to Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkancheri-Thrissur-NH47-Aluva-Kochi.

You would have your share of country side between Pollachi & Thrissur.Lovely green fields,or else go to Palakkad from Pollachi and then go via Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakkancheri-Thrissur-NH47-Aluva-Kochi.Do not get onto NH47 between Palakkad & Thrissur at any cost.The road is totally broken up

This is the route Bengaluru, Karnataka to Kochi, Kerala - Google Maps

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 5th July 2011 at 19:20.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:22   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
How is this road.
please suggest.
I'm not sure all what you heard about this route is all true. (The points marked in blue are certainly incorrect and the underlined one is questionable). In any case, here are details of different parts of this route (Based on my drives between Bangalore and Calicut last week and Calicut - Cochin a couple of months ago)

Bangalore-Mysore (SH-17) : Good 4 lane road, but beware of heavy traffic and unmarked killer speedbreakers at places where you'd least expect it.

Mysore-Nanjangud (NH-212) : Decent road, but heavy traffic

Nanjangud-Gundlupet (NH-212) : Good road even though slightly narrow, not much of traffic either - probably the fastest stretch of the whole route.

Gundlupet-Kerala Border (NH-212) : Good road, scenic, chances of wildlife sightings

Kerala Border - Vythiri (NH-212) : Roads have deteriorated considerably compared to what it was 3 months ago (monsoon effect) - lookout for pothole ridden stretches off an on.

Vythiri-Adivaram (NH-212) : Scenic drive (Ghat section) - But winding roads, expect pretty bad roads at a some of the hairpin bends, and not too great roads rest of the way. Landslides blocking part of the road is a common event here in the monsoon season, so beware of traffic blocks that can last upto an hour or two.

Adivaram-Calicut (NH-212) : Decent road with occasional potholes, but expect reasonably heavy traffic if driving during daytime

Calicut-Kuttippuram (NH-17) : Good road, but traffic can be heavy at peak hours

Kuttippuram-Ponnani (NH-17) : Not sure how the road condition is. Last time I travelled, there was road construction in progress, so locals advised me to go further upto Edappal and take the Edappal-Ponnani road instead. That road was in pretty decent condition - though slightly narrow.

Ponnani-Kodungallur (NH-17) : Good roads - generally heavy traffic after Chavakkad

Kodungallur-Edappally (NH-17) : Narrow roads, heavy bus traffic, this stretch can sometimes be very slow since chances of getting behind a slow moving heavy vehicle is very high (overtaking possibilities are very limited).

Edappally-Cochin : Essentially a City drive - would be very slow during peak hours.

So while you do have a lot of eateries along this route and the countryside is very pretty, the drive is unlikely to be a relaxed one.

A much more relaxed drive would be :

Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathy-Coimbatore-Palghat-Shoranur-Wadakkancherry-Trichur-Alwaye-Cochin.

The only minus point about this route would be the limited amount of eateries / hotels you'd find along the way - at least till Coimbatore.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:37   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'm not sure all what you heard about this route is all true. (The points marked in blue are certainly incorrect and the underlined one is questionable). In any case, here are details of different parts of this route (Based on my drives between Bangalore and Calicut last week and Calicut - Cochin a couple of months ago)

Bangalore-Mysore (SH-17) : Good 4 lane road, but beware of heavy traffic and unmarked killer speedbreakers at places where you'd least expect it.

Mysore-Nanjangud (NH-212) : Decent road, but heavy traffic

Nanjangud-Gundlupet (NH-212) : Good road even though slightly narrow, not much of traffic either - probably the fastest stretch of the whole route.

Gundlupet-Kerala Border (NH-212) : Good road, scenic, chances of wildlife sightings

Kerala Border - Vythiri (NH-212) : Roads have deteriorated considerably compared to what it was 3 months ago (monsoon effect) - lookout for pothole ridden stretches off an on.

Vythiri-Adivaram (NH-212) : Scenic drive (Ghat section) - But winding roads, expect pretty bad roads at a some of the hairpin bends, and not too great roads rest of the way. Landslides blocking part of the road is a common event here in the monsoon season, so beware of traffic blocks that can last upto an hour or two.

Adivaram-Calicut (NH-212) : Decent road with occasional potholes, but expect reasonably heavy traffic if driving during daytime

Calicut-Kuttippuram (NH-17) : Good road, but traffic can be heavy at peak hours

Kuttippuram-Ponnani (NH-17) : Not sure how the road condition is. Last time I travelled, there was road construction in progress, so locals advised me to go further upto Edappal and take the Edappal-Ponnani road instead. That road was in pretty decent condition - though slightly narrow.

Ponnani-Kodungallur (NH-17) : Good roads - generally heavy traffic after Chavakkad

Kodungallur-Edappally (NH-17) : Narrow roads, heavy bus traffic, this stretch can sometimes be very slow since chances of getting behind a slow moving heavy vehicle is very high (overtaking possibilities are very limited).

Edappally-Cochin : Essentially a City drive - would be very slow during peak hours.

So while you do have a lot of eateries along this route and the countryside is very pretty, the drive is unlikely to be a relaxed one.

A much more relaxed drive would be :

Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathy-Coimbatore-Palghat-Shoranur-Wadakkancherry-Trichur-Alwaye-Cochin.

The only minus point about this route would be the limited amount of eateries / hotels you'd find along the way - at least till Coimbatore.
Kodungallur-Paravur has also gone bad.Getting around Kodungallur is a herculean task now a days.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:01   #238
BHPian

I returned from Thrissur just today, the route I took is this: Google Maps

Except for the stretch between Perumanallur and L&T Toll Gate near Coimbatore where the road work is going on, rest of the road is really great.

Even this stretch the road condition is not bad its just there are a lot of diversions due to the road work.

Bangalore to Perumanallur is the best to drive - even with my santro running on LPG I could easily maintain 90+kmph for long stretches.
ajitkumarlb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 22:03   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Kodungallur-Paravur has also gone bad.Getting around Kodungallur is a herculean task now a days.
I always wonder how they can call the Kodungallur-Paravur-Edapally stretch a National Highway.. (The translation of NH as "National Hellway" as some poster commented in another topic does really apply for this stretch !!)

This is one of the routes that I've vowed never to take again until things improve (another one being the ever popular Bangalore-Mysore SH-17 - that's one road I hate to drive on - thanks to those gigantic speedbreakers !!)
Old 6th July 2011, 07:41   #240
BHPian

Hi friends i am back to NAMMA BENGALURU.

Kerala journey has been very good. Except the road between Vadakancherry and Pattikad , all the remaining roads were good. My wrong impression on the road conditions about Kerela has changed. But still i feel that Infrastructure can be better when compared to Tamilnadu. No offence meant to kerala people. Since i was travelling in both the states, i had to compare.

I heard a news that the Trivandrum Padmanabhaswamy temple treasure worth 100,000 crores has been discovered and the Kerala Govt is discussing about the application of the money for which purpose. I personally feel the roads, infrastructure, places of historical importance, monuments and other things can be renovated and maintained. Offcourse only a small amount of money may be required from that 100,000 crores for this purpose.

The Ottapalam to Palakkad route is excellent. Crusing at 100 KMPL is no matter.While entering into palakkad to reach Coimbatore i had taken the Market route in Palakkad. Oh my god some how i saved my car from sratches .Such a crowded place and moreover the on coming people do not have a courtesy to even give some way to you. Over all travel in kerela, only the private buses and autos were travelling like hulligans and senseless driving. Rest all very good.

The toll paid receipts have to been shown at palghat bye pass every time. I think we will have to show it atleast at 5 counters which is very annoying.And also only one counter is open at every Toll on the Palghat By pass so that is one more irritating thing.

Cbe to Bangalore- I travelled through Coimbatore only. The road condition till Avinashi right after Palghat bye pass is also ok. Major of the roads have been patched and new roads are have come. So till Avinashi the journey was not bad as compared to the previous one.I think the contractor is IVRCL and the work is going on at very slow pace.

After Avinashi, i thing Chengampally onwards the toll road starts and from there on it is just flying. I could cover 90 kms for ever hour at a speed of 120 kmph.

Some stretch of Toppur road were very bad but manageable.

I do not suggest the Mettur route. Offcourse you can save the toll money to some extent, but still it is not recommended. The roads before mettur is bad and more over it is all village roads and you will have to watch out for out great villagers on TVS moped who will be jumping from one end to other ends making your journey tiresome.

Entered into Bangalore at 7.30pm in the evening and it took about 2 hours for me to reach my home at Hebbal. I had planned to take the Attibele- Dommasandra-Sarjapura-KR puram route but some how in the last minute decided not to and finally come through the city only slotting and struggling in traffic in NAMMA BENGALURU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks