Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 16:39   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, I am planning a trip to Kochi and back with wife and baby this month or early July. We can start as early as 5:00am if required. But considering the traffic and Avinashi-Coimbatore and Palakkad to Kochi which is the best way to plan my trip (early morning to noon start?, do not want too much of night driving)? We are also contemplating halting overnight at Palakkad. Pls suggest

Rgds
VW

Last year (June 2010), I travelled with my 5 month old daughter from Vaikom to Bangalore. We started at 6:30 and reached Bangalore (Kundalahalli) by 5:30 PM with lot of breaks and heavy rain all the way.
My daughter was sitting in her infant seat and I was driving my father's Ford Fiesta.
Old 9th June 2011, 18:44   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am planning a trip to Kochi and back with wife and baby this month or early July. We can start as early as 5:00am if required. But considering the traffic and Avinashi-Coimbatore and Palakkad to Kochi which is the best way to plan my trip (early morning to noon start?, do not want too much of night driving)? We are also contemplating halting overnight at Palakkad. Pls suggest

Rgds
VW
You dont need to halt at Palakkad,if you leave your place at 5am,you would be in Salem by 8am and on the L&T bypass by 11-12pm.By 1.30pm you would be in Palakkad and,4pm(latest)at Mannuthy,5pm at Edappally.These are very conservative timings.

We have been doing Hyderabad-Bangalore-Thrissur from the time our little lady was 1year,and it is very comfortable.Enough of facilities and stop places available enroute.

Breakfast can be at GRT Estancia,Salem(if you want ultra clean washrooms & expensive breakfast),else drive down till Perundurai and you have the Aaryas onto your right.

Once you cross over into Kerala,plenty of facilities and now the 4laning is complete between mannuthy and ernakulam,bypassing all the towns,so it is a breeze.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 20:57   #183
BHPian

Thank You Ranjit. As suggested in this forum, is it worth taking the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam route to bypass Avinashi stretch? I have never done a Bang-Koc trip. Is this Perundurai hotel you mentioned on the 4-lane highway or does one have to go into the town? I had halted at Perundurai for my Munnar trip in April, the food at Chennys was decent.

Thanks
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You dont need to halt at Palakkad,if you leave your place at 5am,you would be in Salem by 8am and on the L&T bypass by 11-12pm.By 1.30pm you would be in Palakkad and,4pm(latest)at Mannuthy,5pm at Edappally.These are very conservative timings.

We have been doing Hyderabad-Bangalore-Thrissur from the time our little lady was 1year,and it is very comfortable.Enough of facilities and stop places available enroute.

Breakfast can be at GRT Estancia,Salem(if you want ultra clean washrooms & expensive breakfast),else drive down till Perundurai and you have the Aaryas onto your right.

Once you cross over into Kerala,plenty of facilities and now the 4laning is complete between mannuthy and ernakulam,bypassing all the towns,so it is a breeze.
Old 9th June 2011, 21:11   #184
Senior - BHPian

The Aaryas is on the NH47 itself,keep a lookout for it to your right,there is a break in the median for you to cross over to the hotel.It is a big complex with dormitory ,big parking etc.

Chenny's is off the highway in the SIPCOT area,no need to go there,in case you miss Aaryas,there is annalakshmi there on the highway as well

I am not a big fan of the Kangeyam-Palladam stretch.Avinashi to Coimbatore should not take you more than 1.5hours in the worst of situations,so I would stick to the NH47 itself(but there are people who have taken the palladam route as well).
Old 9th June 2011, 22:30   #185
BHPian

Last month, I did Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam. Found no problems. Good throughout.

I was advised to take Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam as there were some delays in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch due to 4L conversion. not sure about the status now.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 00:57   #186
BHPian

Strongly recommend you to take the Kangeyam-Palladam route from Perundurai as the 4 laning work is in progress full swing and with rains, it might be a bad scene.

You can either continue onto Sulur and get onto L&T bypass to Palakkad or go to Pollachi and then enter Kerala. There are folks who have frequented this section in the recent past who can suggest on the route conditions on both these routes for you to choose one.
Old 10th June 2011, 07:14   #187
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
else drive down till Perundurai and you have the Aaryas onto your right.
To the best of my knowledge (I also travel regularly to Coimbatore) NH47 bypasses Perundurai town, even the old route via Chithode (Aavin factory) is now bypassed so wondering where exactly is Aaryas. Is it somewhere before Avinashi where the completed stretch of 4 laned NH47 ends ?
Old 10th June 2011, 08:29   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
To the best of my knowledge (I also travel regularly to Coimbatore) NH47 bypasses Perundurai town, even the old route via Chithode (Aavin factory) is now bypassed so wondering where exactly is Aaryas. Is it somewhere before Avinashi where the completed stretch of 4 laned NH47 ends ?
Hotel Aaryas is just before Perundurai bypass (Driving from Salem) on the 4-lane road. There are boards indicating this hotel from Chitode bypass onwards. The hotel is on the right side while coming from Bangalore to Coimbatore.
Old 10th June 2011, 09:53   #189
BHPian

Thank you Luvride and nfs for the strong suggestion. Could you give the directions and distance after the diversion from NH.

Thank you NPV and bnaik, I think I will be able to find Aryas.

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Last month, I did Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam. Found no problems. Good throughout.

I was advised to take Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam as there were some delays in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch due to 4L conversion. not sure about the status now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Strongly recommend you to take the Kangeyam-Palladam route from Perundurai as the 4 laning work is in progress full swing and with rains, it might be a bad scene.

You can either continue onto Sulur and get onto L&T bypass to Palakkad or go to Pollachi and then enter Kerala. There are folks who have frequented this section in the recent past who can suggest on the route conditions on both these routes for you to choose one.
Old 10th June 2011, 12:16   #190
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Luvride and nfs for the strong suggestion. Could you give the directions and distance after the diversion from NH.
On another thread, the deviations/alternate routes to avoid NH47 stretch of Avinashi-Coimbatore have been discussed in detail:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...etch-nh47.html
Hope this helps.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 12:20   #191
BHPian

@VW

It is the same route you had taken to your Munnar trip. Except that you have to turn right towards CBE at the Kangeyam 4 road junction.

Please see the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...h-nh47-14.html for details of alternate routes to avoid the Avinashi-CBE stretch and up-to-date information on the road conditions.

Always willing to help if you need further clarification.

EDIT: Ahh! @NPV you beat me with this!

Last edited by luvurride : 10th June 2011 at 12:22. Reason: Additional tagline
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 13:10   #192
BHPian

Thank you again!
From the that thread looks like Tirupur-Palladam is shorter.
What is the best route after Palladam? Since I'll be going to Kochi, is it better to take Pollachi-Trichur (do not know how the road conditions are) so that I can byepass Palakkad aswell?

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@VW

It is the same route you had taken to your Munnar trip. Except that you have to turn right towards CBE at the Kangeyam 4 road junction.

Please see the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...h-nh47-14.html for details of alternate routes to avoid the Avinashi-CBE stretch and up-to-date information on the road conditions.

Always willing to help if you need further clarification.

EDIT: Ahh! @NPV you beat me with this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On another thread, the deviations/alternate routes to avoid NH47 stretch of Avinashi-Coimbatore have been discussed in detail:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...etch-nh47.html
Hope this helps.

Last edited by VindyWheels : 10th June 2011 at 13:11.
Old 10th June 2011, 16:07   #193
BHPian

I would say Kangeyam-Palladam is better than Tirupur as Tirupur is congested and confusing for first timers. I'm not sure about the road conditions of Pollachi-Trichur, maybe some one who has taken it recently can throw some light here.
Old 10th June 2011, 17:00   #194
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since I'll be going to Kochi, is it better to take Pollachi-Trichur (do not know how the road conditions are) so that I can byepass Palakkad aswell?
The 'Aviniashi-CBE 4 laning' thread also has posts discussing the Pollachi-Vadakkanchery route to Trichur (not very old):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...h-nh47-11.html
Old 10th June 2011, 17:12   #195
Team-BHP Support

I still remember @luvuride's post on one ways and narrow roads in Tirrupur. Its possible that you may get stuck in Tirrupur easily owing to this. Hence the best is to get into Perundurai town and then on to Kangeyam road. This section followed by NH67 till Palladam is fantastic. This would also by-pass Tiruppur. Passing through Palladam and Kengayam is a breeze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks