Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:24   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It wont be fastest. Plus you would crossing Bandipur/Nilambur section in the dark.
Plus about the Kageyam/Palldam part, I think Coolclouds referred to Palldam-Pollachi-Wadakancherry option. I am not sure how is Pollachi-Wadakancherry section is at night.
Please do check about it. Though roads all the way till you hit NH47 at Wadakancherry is very good, but not sure how they are in the dark.

Thanks Amp, looks like i will stick to NH7+NH47 combo. Also, curious to know- what is the current diesel (normal) price in kerala?
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:10   #167
Senior - BHPian

Stick to the NH7-NH47 combo for night drives,Nilambur ghats,bandipur etc can be quite nerve-wracking in the night!You have plenty of facilities on the 4 laned roads,so stick to them imho.

1230 departure from SilkBoard would mean you would reach Thrissur by 930.From thereon another 1 to 1.5 hour to EKM as the 4 laning has been completed between Mannuthy and EKM and all the towns are bypassed now.

I guess diesel is at INR 41 per litre in Kerala.Petrol is at around 64 IIRC
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:43   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Thanks. I was checking google maps, and it was showing a route via mysore, is that worth considering taking road condition, speed, safety/traffic etc?
Last week I was in Coimbatore while going from Banglore I went by Salem-Perundurai-Palladam-Coimbatore it was a cool drive and faster.
Return via Mettupalayam-Bhavanisagar-Bannari- Hasanur- Chamrajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore-Banglore.
The roads upto Chamrajnagar is good as it was night time did not want to venture in Kollegal route. These roads are dual carriage way and some average roads from Chamrajnagar-Nanjangud and as usual Mysore-Banglore lot of traffic and speedbreakers unlimited and wasted some time in the Mysore bypass as the directions are not clearly marked and lost my way towards Mahadevpura and had to get back after travelling for 10kms..So a lot of time was lost thou very minimal traffic upto Nanjangud.
It was tiring by the time I reached Ramnagara near Banglore.
Nothing like driving on the four laned roads.

Last edited by gajadonga : 23rd May 2011 at 19:48.
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:57   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Stick to the NH7-NH47 combo for night drives,Nilambur ghats,bandipur etc can be quite nerve-wracking in the night!You have plenty of facilities on the 4 laned roads,so stick to them imho.

1230 departure from SilkBoard would mean you would reach Thrissur by 930.From thereon another 1 to 1.5 hour to EKM as the 4 laning has been completed between Mannuthy and EKM and all the towns are bypassed now.

I guess diesel is at INR 41 per litre in Kerala.Petrol is at around 64 IIRC
Thanks ranjitp1. So thats like 11hours to reach EKM from BLR?
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:08   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ranjitp1. So thats like 11hours to reach EKM from BLR?
Through NH47/ NH7, EKM<>BLR can be covered in less than 9 hours with a relaxed drive including about 45 mins of breaks. If you try to drive somewhat aggressively with minimal breaks and early morning start from EKM (5AM or before), this can go down to about 7.30 hrs. Any other route will definitely be slower than this.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:19   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Through NH47/ NH7, EKM<>BLR can be covered in less than 9 hours with a relaxed drive including about 45 mins of breaks. If you try to drive somewhat aggressively with minimal breaks and early morning start from EKM (5AM or before), this can go down to about 7.30 hrs. Any other route will definitely be slower than this.
Thanks vasoo, So that's like 9-10 hrs with normal driving+breaks. Any idea on the total toll charges till EKM?
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:20   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks vasoo, So that's like 9-10 hrs with normal driving+breaks. Any idea on the total toll charges till EKM?
xotiq,

If I'm not wrong it is Rs.273/- excluding the Bangalore Elevated Tollway (Electronic City) flyover.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 23rd May 2011 at 21:24.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:06   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Blore-Salem-Coim-Palghat-Thrissur-Cochin should work well. Blore-Coim you can easily maintain a good speed, say around 100-120kmph (depending upon your car).

Toll should come around 300/- (not sure but remember filling up the dash with tickets)

No toll once you enter Kerala but there's one coming up soon in Thrissur.

Since you cross kerala late in the evening I would ask you to be careful with the bus drivers here. Till Cochin airport it should be fine. The traffic gets bad from Aluva-Edapally jn - Palarivattom jn - Vytilla jn in case you plan to take this route.

Where in EKM you planning to go? But since you would arrive by 9-10PM, the traffic would be better.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The total distance from Edapally to my home near Sarjapur road in Bangalore is 515 kms on NH47 route. If you are able to maintain an overall average of 60 kmph, this can be covered in about 9 hrs including breaks. I dont have the exact details of tolls, but it will be approximately Rs275 till CBE bye-pass.

An early morning start from Bangalore towards Kerala may take longer since you will be driving between PKD and TCR at peak traffic hours. You can reach PKD in about 6-7 hours, but rest of the drive will be slowed down significantly, and may take anywhere between 2-4 hrs.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:32   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Blore-Salem-Coim-Palghat-Thrissur-Cochin should work well. Blore-Coim you can easily maintain a good speed, say around 100-120kmph (depending upon your car).

Toll should come around 300/- (not sure but remember filling up the dash with tickets)

No toll once you enter Kerala but there's one coming up soon in Thrissur.

Since you cross kerala late in the evening I would ask you to be careful with the bus drivers here. Till Cochin airport it should be fine. The traffic gets bad from Aluva-Edapally jn - Palarivattom jn - Vytilla jn in case you plan to take this route.

Where in EKM you planning to go? But since you would arrive by 9-10PM, the traffic would be better.
Thanks naveen, good advice about bus drivers. Kaloor is where i need to go.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:37   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks naveen, good advice about bus drivers. Kaloor is where i need to go.
Anytime. Yes, this is quite serious. You wont believe how these guys drive especially Palghat-Thrissur route. They even overtake even at blind curves. So watch out.

You can take the normal route through the city from Edapally to reach Kaloor. Wont be crowded since you would reach after 9pm.

Some sections in Palghat-Thrissur route is patched up so watch out. The ride will be bumpy at certain sections.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:59   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the present road condition from Kochi - Bangalore? Planning two trips this month.
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:01   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
How is the present road condition from Kochi - Bangalore? Planning two trips this month.
It is good except Coimbatore - Avinashi stretch. Suggest you take L&T Bye-pass, Palladam, Perundurai route to avoid this stretch.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 15:28   #179
BHPian

Hi, I am planning a trip to Kochi and back with wife and baby this month or early July. We can start as early as 5:00am if required. But considering the traffic and Avinashi-Coimbatore and Palakkad to Kochi which is the best way to plan my trip (early morning to noon start?, do not want too much of night driving)? We are also contemplating halting overnight at Palakkad. Pls suggest

Rgds
VW
Old 9th June 2011, 15:43   #180
Team-BHP Support

More than that I you should also consider the monsoon status.
Beyond Palakkad it would be furious in July.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks