Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 09:16   #121
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Thank you coolclouds, aa_asif, ajithbr for the pointers. What about the Wayanad route?

I'm yet to decide on the route. I hope the road conditions are good now.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:27   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hello Team,

I usually fill from Shell and can see there's no shell fuel station once you leave Bangalore so would it be okay if I carried some fuel in a jerry can and keep it in the boot? My vehicle is an Innova.

Wow! That would be a hard Shell loyalist. There are pretty good pumps from other companies on the route including Reliance. And how much you can keep in a jerry can? I usually fill only enough fuel from Bangalore to cross the TN border and then fill up from HP pump near Krishnagiri, which is far cheaper and good quality fuel.
Old 10th February 2011, 13:30   #123
BHPian

I need to travel to Changanacherry from Bangalore end of Feb '11. Anyone here doing this route regularly and can suggest the best route by road conditions as I would be travelling with my wife and daughters (8 & 2). Any place recommended to stop for lunch and the best options of re-fueling. Google maps gives 3 options : NH 7 + NH 47, NH 7 + Kanyakumari-Varanasi Road and NH 209, any recommendations out of these ?

If there is any other thread for this route, sorry to be posting here.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
I need to travel to Changanacherry from Bangalore end of Feb '11. Anyone here doing this route regularly and can suggest the best route by road conditions as I would be travelling with my wife and daughters (8 & 2). Any place recommended to stop for lunch and the best options of re-fueling. Google maps gives 3 options : NH 7 + NH 47, NH 7 + Kanyakumari-Varanasi Road and NH 209, any recommendations out of these ?

I will wait for your trip for advice . Planning a Bangy - Trivandrum drive around mid March.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:25   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please check this link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-143.html

IMO,
NH7-NH47-Alleppy-Changanacherry route should be an easy option but traffic on Avinashi-Coimbatore and Palakkad-Trichur stretch should be high during peak hours.

NH7-NH47-Angamaly-MC Road-Kottayam-Changanacherry - short, but slow.

NH7-Dindigul-Kumily-Changanacherry - Some bad stretches near Kumily, less traffic

Last edited by coolclouds : 15th February 2011 at 15:34.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:40   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google maps gives 3 options : NH 7 + NH 47, NH 7 + Kanyakumari-Varanasi Road and NH 209
NH7 + Kanyakumari-Varanasi Road? I thought they are one and the same.

Quote:
If there is any other thread for this route
This is another thread.
Old 15th February 2011, 18:57   #127
Team-BHP Support

Option via Kumily has less traffic. But a few bad patches. But overall its a pleasant drive. 4L till Dindigul. 2L on NH45 from Dindigul till Theni.
And then a twisty NH220.

Options from Food:

Plenty till Salem. A2B before Krishnagiri and GRT at Salem.
Beyond Dindigul, not many options.
Old 17th February 2011, 09:09   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Thank you coolclouds, aa_asif, ajithbr for the pointers. What about the Wayanad route?

I'm yet to decide on the route. I hope the road conditions are good now.

Thanks,
Jose.
I did the Cochin-Bangalore trip last weekend.

The route was Cochin-Trichur-Shoranur-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gudlupet-Mysore-Bangalore.

It took almost 15 hours to reach our destination at HSR Layout, Bangalore . Started at 9 am Saturday morning during the peak hours. I think this is the reason why it took so long to reach Bangalore at 12 am.

Roads from Cochin to Trichur is good except for some diversions in between. Trichur-Shoranur is also good. From there roads are bad till Nilambur. It took almost 6 hours to reach Nilambur. From there the ride is smooth till Bangalore.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 17th February 2011, 09:59   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The route was Cochin-Trichur-Shoranur-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gudlupet-Mysore-Bangalore.

It took almost 15 hours to reach our destination at HSR Layout, Bangalore . Started at 9 am Saturday morning during the peak hours. I think this is the reason why it took so long to reach Bangalore at 12 am.

Roads from Cochin to Trichur is good except for some diversions in between. Trichur-Shoranur is also good. From there roads are bad till Nilambur. It took almost 6 hours to reach Nilambur. From there the ride is smooth till Bangalore.

Thanks,
Jose.
Jose, did you check the kms? I heard that its much shorter than NH47-NH7.
Also any tolls in between?
Old 17th February 2011, 11:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Coolclouds,

I had done this route on a bike 2 years back and Door to Door (GM Palya to Fort Cochin) the odo reading was 504kms.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:19   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check this link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-143.html

IMO,
NH7-NH47-Alleppy-Changanacherry route should be an easy option but traffic on Avinashi-Coimbatore and Palakkad-Trichur stretch should be high during peak hours.
Make sure you don't hit this strectch in the peak hours in the morning and evening as it is almost like a chock -o-block and stressful. Also, you will find some real rash drivers on this stretch.
Old 17th February 2011, 13:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Jose.
The road via Perinthalmanna to Nilambur was reported to be be bad in a few threads here recently. You'd probably have reached faster if you had gone via Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Kottakkal- Manjeri to Nilambur (even with an additional 20 kms or so that it adds to the distance)
Old 17th February 2011, 14:00   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Coolclouds,

I had done this route on a bike 2 years back and Door to Door (GM Palya to Fort Cochin) the odo reading was 504kms.
The total distance was 520 kms. There were tolls en route but the charges were feeble in Kerala. Once we reached B'lore we had to pay 65 bucks to take the fly over and reach Silk Board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The road via Perinthalmanna to Nilambur was reported to be be bad in a few threads here recently. You'd probably have reached faster if you had gone via Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Kottakkal- Manjeri to Nilambur (even with an additional 20 kms or so that it adds to the distance)
It was a bad decision to take this route. I wanted to avoid the narrow route of Varapuzha-Guruvayoor. Another main reason why it so long was because we started from Cochin during the peak traffic hours.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:06   #134
J.Ravi

I plan to drive to Kochi on 22 April 2011 [well after the elections in TN/Kerala] in my Linea with my family, leaving my Basaveshwara Nagar home by 4 am and reach Kochi in the afternoon. I will be taking the NH 7/47 route. I had travelled in the same route some 5 years back. Kindly advise me on the following:

1. The inter-state check post at Walayar. Will it be a hurdle to cross it during the morning time?
2. Good places of stay in Kochi and Alappuzha within a maximum budget of Rs 3000/- per night for a double room. I need secured parking for my Linea.
3. Good petrol pumps in Kochi and on NH 47.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th April 2011 at 12:34.

Old 11th April 2011, 17:24   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I plan to drive to Kochi on 22 April 2011 [well after the elections in TN/Kerala] in my Linea with my family, leaving my Basaveshwara Nagar home by 4 am and reach Kochi in the afternoon. I will be taking the NH 7/47 route. I had travelled in the same route some 5 years back. Kindly advise me on the following:

1. The inter-state check post at Walayar. Will it be a hurdle to cross it during the morning time?
2. Good places of stay in Kochi and Alappuzha within a maximum budget of Rs 3000/- per night for a double room. I need secured parking for my Linea.
3. Good petrol pumps in Kochi and on NH 47.
No problems with the check post. Since the elections are done, you wont find any trouble to cross the check post.

There are many decent hotels to stay here with secured parking areas.

Cochin:
1) International Hotel, MG Road (North End)
2) Times Square (Near Kalyan Silks)
3) Wyte Fort (Maradu, Vytilla - Aroor Bypass towards Alappuzha)

Alappuzha:
1) Alleppey Prince Hotel (1km from town)
2) Hotel Royal Park (YMCA Road)
3) Hotel Silver Sands Residency

to name a few

Petrol Stations

1) Reliance Pump between Chalakudy and Angamaly.
2) HP outlet just before Angamaly Town
3) BP outlets at Edappaly
4) Reliance pump after Vytilla towards Thripunithara
5) Civil supplies pump at MG Road (Palimukku) and near BTH Hotel (near TDM hall)
6) Reliance after Aroor

I started at 4.30am and reached home by lunch. Road conditions:

Blore-Walayar - Excellent (90% 4 lane)
Walayar - Thrissur - Patched up roads, rashly driven bus drivers
Thrissur-Cochin - Excellent (95% 4 lane) but heavy traffic after Aluva
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks