Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 12:32   #271
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Will the NH47 be a better option at this time?
I have not gone on this route for the last 2 months. But it seems to be a choice as Skyline GT-R says
Quote:
During day the time taken will be less on NH47 although it is bad for your car.
I am a bit paranoid about my car. So I would say if it is raining, I would take the shornur route.
Rain means, many deep potholes might be filled with water and not seen and it hurts to crash in on those big ones

Last edited by princemanatt : 12th August 2011 at 12:33.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:27   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Did Cochin-Blore drive through NH47 yesterday.

Avinashi - Salem 4 laning work in progress but the roads are pretty good.
Naveen, did you mean that CBE - Avinashi 4 laning work in progress? And this road is good according to you?

Avinashi - Salem was already 4 lane road for some time now?

Just to clarify, since I am planning to take this route tomorrow early morning.

Thanks,
Narayanan
Old 12th August 2011, 18:21   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Naveen, did you mean that CBE - Avinashi 4 laning work in progress? And this road is good according to you?

Avinashi - Salem was already 4 lane road for some time now?

Just to clarify, since I am planning to take this route tomorrow early morning.

Thanks,
Narayanan
Salem-Avinashi is 4 laned.

Avinashi-CBE is the section under widening.It is a typo from Naveen.
Old 12th August 2011, 19:11   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for that. Yes, but this section can be taken. Roads are pretty good. I had hard time from Thrissur - Palghat.
Old 12th August 2011, 19:20   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
I have not gone on this route for the last 2 months. But it seems to be a choice as Skyline GT-R says

I am a bit paranoid about my car. So I would say if it is raining, I would take the shornur route.
Rain means, many deep potholes might be filled with water and not seen and it hurts to crash in on those big ones
Could you give some details on the Shornur route? Like where to take turns and all? I believe it is some 30KMs extra, right? How about the road conditions? I have first hand experience in the un-predictable nature of Palghat-Trissur route, especially on holidays!

@naveen.raju, When is your return journey?
Old 12th August 2011, 20:36   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Could you give some details on the Shornur route? Like where to take turns and all? I believe it is some 30KMs extra, right? How about the road conditions? I have first hand experience in the un-predictable nature of Palghat-Trissur route, especially on holidays!
I myself is yet to take this route. The directions are in the post below. I plan to take this route on my onam trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There is no bypass as such to get onto Ottapalam road,but it is relatively easy as you just continue straight on the NH47 at Chandranagar(where Aaryas is located).The NH47 takes a left there towards Thrissur,whereas to go to Ottapalam,you continue straight into Palakkad,and the road is called as GB Road from thereon(Gandhi Bazaar Road).Just keep on the road and it continues straight onto Ottapalam,past the KSRTC bus stand.However do agree the town is congested to drive through.

If you do need to bypass palakkad town,then the option is to get onto the Kozhikode road immediately after you leave NH47(you would not miss it as it is a big divided 4 lane road to your right,after the popular IndianOil petrol pump).Take that road,it crosses Olavakkod (Palakkad) railway station and continues till Mundur where the road forks.Take the left road which is the Perinthalmana road while the right fork is the Kozhikode highway.

Go on the left road till Mundur High School which would be on your right.The straight road goes to Mangalamkunnu-Cherplasserry-Perinthalmana where it merges back with the Palakkad-Kozhikode highway.

At the Mundur High School junction you divert to the left(well marked)and the road joins the Palakkad-Ottapalam road at Parli(past Parli Railway station)(7kms).This way you bypass the entire palakkad town and plus join the highway around 7-8kms after palakkad town.

This is a traffic free route and helps you get on to the ottapalam road without going through the palakkad town mess.Palakkad town is highly congested and the market areas are less said the better.

Hotel srichackra internationol to Parali, Palakkad Ponnani Rd, Kerala - Google Maps

The not so good things about this part as Skyline GTR puts it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Ottapalam route has many small towns which will make you slow down & 1 railway gate which is closed always (WDCY). Getting out of the WDCY gate at peak hour can take upto 30-40 mins when its bad.

princemanatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 08:21   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

@naveen.raju, When is your return journey?
16th morning most probably.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:25   #278
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore- Kochi last Friday. Two weeks back Palakkad-Trichur was doable but now horrible as mentioned by Naveen. I started from Bangalore at 7pm, stuck in a traffic jam at Vadakkancherry for 2 hrs and finally reached Kochi at 6.00 am.

This time, I took Omallur route and the road is in good shape.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:37   #279
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Vaikom on August 13th. Details in post below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2469264
Old 17th August 2011, 10:36   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove back from Blore to Cochin yesterday. Started at 10AM and reached Cochin by 8PM. They have started to re surface Kuthiran and have temporarily repaired few sections between Thrissur - Vadakanchery. Will not recommend this route for the time being since there will be a major traffic hold up near Kuthiran. More details in "Current Condition of Road to Kerala" thread.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:36   #281
BHPian

Guys - did my Bangalore - Kerala (Shoranur and then Eranakulam) during last week and here are the updates.

Thanks to everyone who has posted the route updates, mainly mention rohitm for texting me the updates the day before my travel.

Did Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Palakkad - Shoranur on the 13th August. As expected, Avinashi - Walayar stretch is work in progress for 4-laning, so plenty of diversions, but rute was 'not bad' wrt to road condition and traffic. I was riding during day time and there wasnt any rains as well. In case during night, or rains or heavy traffic time, things might be different.

Did Shoranur - Trichur - Eranakulam on 19th August and it was amazing road all ways, except the traffic in eranakulam city limits. Trichur - EKM is also 4 lane mostly so no worries there.

Did Shoranur - Palakkad - CBE - Avinashi - Salem - BLR on 20th August. Due to truckers strike it was smooth sailing and there was no issues at all. Except that just before starting of L&T road near CBE, there was a nasty speed breaker (temperory muddy one, constructed unscientifically) on a road diversion, scrapped my car badly and we had to get out of the vehicle, reverse the car fully and take another way to get through that. Felt so bad for the car when scrapped, but there wasnt any way out there.

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 6th September 2011, 22:18   #282
Senior - BHPian

Anyone recently traveled on Bangalore - Perinthalmanna- Kochi route? I am planning to do it on Thursday, if the roads are manageable else will stick to regular route.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:33   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Anyone recently traveled on Bangalore - Perinthalmanna- Kochi route? I am planning to do it on Thursday, if the roads are manageable else will stick to regular route.
It would be better to do Nilambur-Manjeri-Malapuram-Kottakal-Kecheri-Trichur rather than
Nilambur-Melatoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Shornur-Trichur.

That is what I gather from other threads.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 11:44   #284

[quote=ampere;2495978 Nilambur-Manjeri-Malapuram-Kottakal-Kecheri-Trichur rather than
Nilambur-Melatoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Shornur-Trichur.[/QUOTE]

I traveled from Trichur to Manjeri thru this route on last week. Thrissur-> Kecheri -> -Kottakal-> Malapuram -> Manjeri => the entire stretch is good ..
Old 12th September 2011, 13:26   #285
Senior - BHPian

Read about some landslide in NaaduKaani.. Any updates.. I did Trichur, Shornur, Pattambi, Palakkad Bangalore last week.. Felt it is taking a long time though roads are good..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks