Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 23:21   #331
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Any inputs on the alternate route would be appreciated as i am travelling tomorrow night. I would be take the below route
Salem-Perundurai-Tirupur-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur
Avoid Tiruppur, if you don't have a specific reason to visit or stop there.
At Perundurai make a left turn to Kangeyam,then proceed to Palladam,Pollachi,Kollengode,Alathur where you will join NH47. Go across to other side of NH47 and get on to the road to Pazhayannur via Kavasseri, then Chelakkara.
Old 14th August 2013, 23:21   #332
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Any inputs on the alternate route would be appreciated as i am travelling tomorrow night. I would be take the below route
Salem-Perundurai-Tirupur-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur .
Don't go via Tiruppur since it is a fairly big town and a pain to traverse. Instead I'd suggest taking the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam route.

Quote:
Do i need to travel via thrissur or i can take this route, where i can deviate from Kodakara to route Kodakara - Kodungallur Hwy/SH 51 for Cherai beach
http://goo.gl/maps/rc2HV

Which route would be better and how is the condition of road on Kodakara - Kodungallur Hwy/SH 51
Not sure if it's worthwhile going to NH47 for the Trichur-Kodakara section. Even though I haven't travelled on that road recently, my experience in the past has been that the Trichur-Irinjalakuda-Kodungallur road has always been pretty decent. So I think Trichur-Irinjalakuda-Kodungallur-Moothakunnam-Cherai might be a faster alternative even though it means having to go right through Trichur town.

Last edited by kala : 14th August 2013 at 23:24.
Old 15th August 2013, 06:27   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Salem-Perundurai-Tirupur-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur .

Do i need to travel via thrissur or i can take this route, where i can deviate from Kodakara to route Kodakara - Kodungallur Hwy/SH 51 for Cherai beach
http://goo.gl/maps/rc2HV

Which route would be better and how is the condition of road on Kodakara - Kodungallur Hwy/SH 51
To cherai the best and fastest route (as kala and denver has rightly mentioned)is salem perundurai kangayam palladam pollachi meenkarai kollengode alathur pazhayannur chelakara wadakancheri patturaikal thrissur round-kuruppam roas-cherpu-irinjalakuda-nadavarambu-kodungallur temple-n.paravur-cherai beach.salem to cherai should take you around 7hrs of driving
Old 15th August 2013, 19:19   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
To cherai the best and fastest route (as kala and denver has rightly mentioned)is salem perundurai kangayam palladam pollachi meenkarai kollengode alathur pazhayannur chelakara wadakancheri patturaikal thrissur round-kuruppam roas-cherpu-irinjalakuda-nadavarambu-kodungallur temple-n.paravur-cherai beach.salem to cherai should take you around 7hrs of driving
Thanks, for all the help in inputs, i would follow the route given by you.
I am planning to leave at 3 AM in the morning tomorrow, would try to reach Cherai by 1 PM. Let's see how it goes. Would update the route details post return or if possible after reaching there.
Old 19th August 2013, 09:14   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Please post a trip report once you are done. I have to drive Bangalore - Perumbavur in early October and I plan to take part of your route (my idea is to enter Kerala via Gudallur-Nilambur and then Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Shoranur onwards to your route); so would like some information on time taken, distance covered etc. I would like to evaluation all options properly.
Did Bangalore - Kochi (Kalady) and back during Aug 15th extended weekend

Going was through Kanakpura - Sathyamanagalam - Annur - Pollachi - Kollangode - Alathur - Challakara - Chembukavu - Kuttanallore - NH 47 Thrissur Bye-pass and Angamaly - Kalady - Okkal. Started 4 am from Bangalore, took 11 hrs of driving (used to cover the same through Hosur - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trissur in less than 8.30 hrs!) . Word of caution is to keep away from Chembukavu - Kuttanallore road which is in a horrible state (repair work was in progress in some areas) , I suggest using Trissur - Palakkad road and join Mannuthy. Kanakpura road is in excellent shape and is a good option if you are looking for a sedate relaxed drive. Nijaguna Residency in Chamrajnagar is a good option for a break with clean washrooms

Decided to give a skip to Kanakpura road on the way back since I started only at 10 am and did not want to be driving on the single lane roads during night against the glaring headlights. Route was Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi (missed Kangeyam - Perundurai due to a confusion while setting the GPS, assume this was not very costly) and then through the normal route. Driving time was less than 10 hrs, reducing the time lost at toll plazas, it should be around 9.15 hrs (worst culprit being the Toll booth at Karnataka border, more than 30 mts lost there alone)..

Since your target is Perumbavoor, keep a tab on traffic on Thannupuzha Periyar bridge, there were huge pileups on many occasions, try to check with someone before taking MC road from Angamaly. Let me know if need any other details.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 10:23   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Since your target is Perumbavoor, keep a tab on traffic on Thannupuzha Periyar bridge, there were huge pileups on many occasions, try to check with someone before taking MC road from Angamaly. Let me know if need any other details.
Ouch. My ultimate destination is Koovappady, which is about 6 km off MC road before one reaches Perumbavur town - the left turn at Vallom junction towards Kodanad - so avoiding the Kalady bridge is a major detour for me (NH 47-Aluva-Vazhakkulam-Perumbavur-Vallom etc.).

My f-i-l says there are plans to build a bridge across the Periyar connecting Kodanad and Malayattoor. I hope it all works out sometime in the not-so-distant future. :-)
Old 19th August 2013, 10:43   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Ouch. My ultimate destination is Koovappady, which is about 6 km off MC road before one reaches Perumbavur town - the left turn at Vallom junction towards Kodanad - so avoiding the Kalady bridge is a major detour for me (NH 47-Aluva-Vazhakkulam-Perumbavur-Vallom etc.).

My f-i-l says there are plans to build a bridge across the Periyar connecting Kodanad and Malayattoor. I hope it all works out sometime in the not-so-distant future. :-)
Agreed that it will be an overkill to take Aluva option.

I too heard that there is a bridge on cards, hope things happen quickly.

BTW I am from Okkal and my mother's place is Thottava, so I am familiar with your destination
Old 9th September 2013, 12:38   #338
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm travelling to Kerela on 13th October and currently decising a destination between Cochin and Kumarakom. Can any of you visitors advise which route to take for either place with road condition and driving time.

Thanks a lot

Sid
Old 9th September 2013, 13:10   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Hi All,

I'm travelling to Kerela on 13th October and currently decising a destination between Cochin and Kumarakom. Can any of you visitors advise which route to take for either place with road condition and driving time.

Thanks a lot

Sid
For either places:

Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Chalakudi-Edappally-Kochi

Edappally-Kumarakom via NH47
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 13:23   #340
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit, How's the road condition and how much time would it take to reach Cochin, or even Kumarakom

Sid
Old 9th September 2013, 15:13   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For either places:

Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Chalakudi-Edappally-Kochi

Edappally-Kumarakom via NH47
If you're going to Kumarakom, the route via Kumily could be a little bit faster because of having to drive only a smaller distance on Kerala roads. Also NH220 generally has less traffic than NH47 (till you reach close to Kottayam - Passing Kottayam town can be a pain though).

The route is :

Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Periyakulam-Theni-Cumbum-Kumily-Mundakkayam-Vazhoor-Kottayam-Kumarakom.

NH7 till Dindigul, turn off there towards Theni (NH45), and from thereon it is NH220. Generally good roads throughout.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 17:54   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit, How's the road condition and how much time would it take to reach Cochin, or even Kumarakom

Sid
Blr-kochi should be done in about 10-11hrs normally via this route
Old 12th September 2013, 12:35   #343

Dear Members,

I plan to drive Bangalore to Kochi via Salem Coimbatore,Palakkad Thrissur as I have always used this route for the past 7- 8 years. I have been told that the Palakkad Thrissur leg is in shambles and it is taking 2-3 hours for that stretch alone. Does anybody have an update on this route. I prefer this route because it is a 4 lane drive. Is there any alternative route to Kochi. I am told there is an alternative route via Mysore and Nilambur. Can anybody give information on this route as well.I am driving a Maruti Swift Dzire so please advice best route.
Old 13th September 2013, 19:45   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodh View Post
Dear Members,

I plan to drive Bangalore to Kochi via Salem Coimbatore,Palakkad Thrissur as I have always used this route for the past 7- 8 years. I have been told that the Palakkad Thrissur leg is in shambles and it is taking 2-3 hours for that stretch alone. Does anybody have an update on this route. I prefer this route because it is a 4 lane drive. Is there any alternative route to Kochi. I am told there is an alternative route via Mysore and Nilambur. Can anybody give information on this route as well.I am driving a Maruti Swift Dzire so please advice best route.
Though Thrissur ~ Palakkad NH 47 is being repaired for potholes my strong recommendation is to avoid them. You can think of Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Wadakancheri - Thrissur.
Also the other alternate of Chandranagar (Palakkad) - Ottapalam - Shoranur / Chelakkara - Wadakanchery can be considered but then this is getting overcrowded at times since all vehicles (except private buses) are avoiding Palakkad ~ Thrissur NH 47.

Road via Nilambur will be perfect if you wish to enjoy a sedate scenic drive that adds 2 ~ 3 hours more to your travel time than the above option.
The route will be Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Vazhikadavu - Nilambur - Pernthalmanna - Pattamb - Shoranur - Wadakanchery - Thrissur - Cochin. Road was in good condition for most of the entire stretch when I travelled early this year. Also you can decide yourself on the route from Bangalore to Mysore through Mandya or Kanakapura.

Have a safe and happy drive.
Old 20th September 2013, 07:35   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
The route will be Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Vazhikadavu - Nilambur - Pernthalmanna - Pattamb - Shoranur - Wadakanchery - Thrissur - Cochin. Road was in good condition for most of the entire stretch when I travelled early this year. Also you can decide yourself on the route from Bangalore to Mysore through Mandya or Kanakapura.
I traveled in the above route (Thrissur-Bangalore, via Kanakapura) last weekend and confirm that the roads are very very good, barring a few kms of rough surface b/w Chamarajanagara and Gundlupete and a few kms of really bad patch in the forest around Mudumalai.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks