Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 18:17   #391
Senior - BHPian

For a fast drive with 5 am start, stick to NH7-NH47 all the way. Rayakottai-Palacode route is shorter and slower compared to four lane road.

You can reach Salem Saravana Bhavan under 2 hours 30 mins from HSR.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 00:07   #392
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning to drive down to Kochi from Bangalore on coming saturday and return on Sunday . As recommended in earlier posts, I intend to make a 4am start from Sarjapur Road.

The route I am planning to take is the regular NH7/NH47 :

Sarjapur Road- Attibele - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Avinashi - Palakkad - Trichur -Chalakudy- Kochi.

I am doing this route for the first time, is there anything in terms of detours/ bypasses to avoid cities on the way or it is just a straight forward route? I want to do this section in the quickest possible time. Is there any better option?

I am planning to return to Bangalore on Sunday with a 2-3 pm start from Kochi. Is the above route advisable given the timing of the return journey?

PS: I am travelling by new verna
Thanks

Last edited by champ27 : 17th June 2014 at 00:12. Reason: Added more details
Old 17th June 2014, 00:18   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
I am doing this route for the first time, is there anything in terms of detours/ bypasses to avoid cities on the way or it is just a straight forward route? I want to do this section in the quickest possible time. Is there any better option?
Perfect timing. You should be crossing Salem by 7AM. CBE-Walayar can be a traffic prone.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 07:40   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27
Hi,

I am planning to drive down to Kochi from Bangalore on coming saturday and return on Sunday . As recommended in earlier posts, I intend to make a 4am start from Sarjapur Road.

The route I am planning to take is the regular NH7/NH47 :

Sarjapur Road- Attibele - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Avinashi - Palakkad - Trichur -Chalakudy- Kochi.

I am planning to return to Bangalore on Sunday with a 2-3 pm start from Kochi. Is the above route advisable given the timing of the return journey?

PS: I am travelling by new verna
Thanks
Since you mentioned quickest possible time, you can reach Coimbatore in 4 hours and 3+ hours to Kochi from there. Traffic on Coimbatore-Kochi will be high with rains. Since you are doing it for the first time, you may stick on to regular NH 47 itself.

At Salem, there is a Y fork in front of Hotel Grand Estancia after Park Plaza. Take the right fork here, left goes to city.

Get on to NH 47 ramp after Ford Showroom, details mentioned in earlier posts.

Once you reach Coimbatore, you can easily miss Palakkad L&T bypass as main traffic moves to city. Watch carefully once you see a flyover construction here.

Also, watch out for speed breakers on Avinashi - Coimbatore flyovers.

Return timing is good and once you enter L&T, nothing to worry. Watch for exit to Bangalore at Salem flyover. Its easy to miss.

Last edited by coolclouds : 17th June 2014 at 07:41.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:01   #395
Geo
BHPian

Has anybody done a recent trip on NH-7 and NH-47, without detours? I have travelled more than a year back. How is the road after rains? Is the stretch (30 km odd stretch) around Coimbatur which was not as good as others is still in same condition? Any updates on the Palaghat-Thrissur road? I have a City and don't want to take a chance with bad road.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:13   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Has anybody done a recent trip on NH-7 and NH-47, without detours? I have travelled more than a year back. How is the road after rains? Is the stretch (30 km odd stretch) around Coimbatur which was not as good as others is still in same condition? Any updates on the Palaghat-Thrissur road? I have a City and don't want to take a chance with bad road.
Your city won't have to break a sweat if you do Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy-Thrissur. There's a small rough patch of about 100metres after the last toll-booth on the Chengappally bypass - can come up as a surprise after driving on smooth 4-laned roads at highway speeds. Watch out for those suspension-breaker humps on the flyovers between Avinashi and Neelambur.

Don't bother driving via Walayar, as the road has gone worse between Madukkarai and Walayar. Walayar and beyond, inside KL territory is fine, but the traffic and the frequent diversions because of road widening can be a dampener.

Update from last night

Last edited by silversteed : 28th July 2014 at 14:15.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 14:15   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody done a recent trip on NH-7 and NH-47, without detours? I have travelled more than a year back.
Geo, I guess you will get updated details in All roads to Kerala thread.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 18:03   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Without detours, i guess it will be more of a pain driving courtesy the bad roads near Walayar along with traffic jams at toll plazas due to extended week end.
Going via salem,Perundurai,Kangeyam,Palladam and Pollachi seems to be the better choice
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 20:33   #399
BHPian

I am planning to go to Kochi from Bangalore and need advise on the best route to take. Have gone thru the thread couple of times but not able to finalise on the route. So need expert guidance.

I will be travelling for the first time to Kochi. Travelling with family so safety is primary concern followed by good roads and duration of travel (the less the better, of course ).

Should I plan to stay somewhere in between to have a less stressful drive ? Some suggestions on good hotels to spend the night would be very helpful.

Last edited by pgupta : 9th September 2014 at 20:36. Reason: adding more info
Old 9th September 2014, 20:41   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I am planning to go to Kochi and need advise on the best route to take. Have gone thru the thread couple of times but not able to finalise on the route. So need expert guidance.
Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Kuthiran-Trichur-Bypass-Angamaly-Ernakulam

This is route most taken.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 09:39   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to go to Kochi from Bangalore and need advise on the best route to take. Have gone thru the thread couple of times but not able to finalise on the route. So need expert guidance.

I will be travelling for the first time to Kochi. Travelling with family so safety is primary concern followed by good roads and duration of travel (the less the better, of course ).

Should I plan to stay somewhere in between to have a less stressful drive ? Some suggestions on good hotels to spend the night would be very helpful.
Try to leave bangalore early so that you get to avoid the crazy traffic. I would suggest 5 AM departure from bangalore. Take breaks accordingly.

I dont think you need to spend overnight anywhere to reach kochi. Till Avinashi you have the luxury of 4 lane roads. Then it comes to 2 lane roads.

Even while driving on the 4 lane roads stick to 85-90 kmph speed barrier so that you dont get tired mentally. Going at high speeds in excess of 120+ requires very high concentration levels. Going constantly at 85-90 kmph is not that taxing.

But as i said, take breaks accordingly and then resume your journey.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:49   #402
BHPian

Bangalore-Kochi Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Try to leave bangalore early so that you get to avoid the crazy traffic. I would suggest 5 AM departure from bangalore. Take breaks accordingly.

I dont think you need to spend overnight anywhere to reach kochi. Till Avinashi you have the luxury of 4 lane roads. Then it comes to 2 lane roads.

Even while driving on the 4 lane roads stick to 85-90 kmph speed barrier so that you dont get tired mentally. Going at high speeds in excess of 120+ requires very high concentration levels. Going constantly at 85-90 kmph is not that taxing.

But as i said, take breaks accordingly and then resume your journey.

Thanks, I completely agree to your suggestion of driving at moderate speeds. Also I am planning to start by 5 AM, when do you think I should expect to reach Kochi, ?
Old 10th September 2014, 10:29   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I completely agree to your suggestion of driving at moderate speeds. Also I am planning to start by 5 AM, when do you think I should expect to reach Kochi, ?
With 5 AM start from bangalore, you should be able to reach Krishnagiri by 6 30 AM. I guess the hotels start serving breakfast by 7 AM. You can take a break somewhere between dharmapuri and salem.
Assuming the break to be 45 min, you should reach salem between 9 15 - 9 30 AM. Then it is NH47 all the way from salem to avinashi. From Palladam onwards , it is 2 lane roads (good ones). You should reach pollachi by 12 PM for lunch. You can take a break at Sakthi hotels in Pollachi.

Palladam to pollachi is a very scenic route with lots of wind mills. From pollachi onwards till Mannuthy you have 2 lane roads in Kerala. The roads are narrow . So limit your speed.

From Mannuthy onwards you get 4 lane roads till kochi.

You should reach kochi by 4 PM. While driving from pollachi till mannuthy since you have 2 lane roads you may take a lot of time. Your average speed in this sector will be roughly 30 kmph.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:40   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also I am planning to start by 5 AM, when do you think I should expect to reach Kochi, ?
If you are travelling on a weekend it would be better to plan your travel bit earlier. Reaching Attibele toll booth before 04:30 AM will help in avoiding queues.

Budget around 03.00 hours from Silk board - Salem. From Salem based on the route you take it may take around 6 hours to Cochin excluding breaks.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 10th September 2014 at 10:41.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:40   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Try to start at 4AM and you can avoid the traffic around Selam. While in Selam, look out for the NH47 exit towards Coimbatore. (You can see the NHAI flyover from a distance). If you miss this exit, you may end up paying the next toll unnecessarily, if I remember correctly.

Around 25 kms after Selam, you will get Hotel Saravanabhavan on the left which is good for breakfast. You will reach here by around 8AM, if you start by 4AM.
Here is the map link for Saravanabhavan and the exit at Selam
http://goo.gl/maps/FZ4Va

And while you enter the nice 4 lane road from Trissur, watch out for speed traps. Speed limit is 90kmph.

Bear in mind that roads in Kochi are in a mess due to the Metro construction, and there would be very bad traffic jams. If you are going towards the MG Road or Marine Drive area, take the Container Terminal Road, from Kalamassery. (Avoid Edappaly, Palarivattom, Vytilla, junctions in peak hours)
Check this map link:
http://goo.gl/maps/olPKH

There is a detour to catch the Container Terminal Road from before Aluva itself, but I won't recommend for a first time traveler.

Last edited by bejoy : 10th September 2014 at 11:42.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks