Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 21:04   #1081
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Completed the trip successfully...pics to come soon.
Better late than never; have posted the pics in my ownership thread located at -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3386623
Old 11th March 2014, 16:38   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Link to the route that I took a few days back
http://goo.gl/maps/7Z2M7
Some pointers:
1. On the way to Arcot, you will find Green Thunder water park or your right. If you go further ahead, you will see a structure with a hugh cross on it on your left(think this is the SSS Arts & Science college building). Just after that is this small roundabout where you need to take right

2. Once you take right, it takes you to NH46 and you will see a bridge. Take a U turn before the bridge and take the first left at the junction. This is the road that connects to SH5 and runs parallel to the river (river is dry)

3. At the dead end, take left and you will hit SH5

4. Cheyyar bypass has a lot of speed breakers and crazy bikers. Might be easier to drive through Cheyyar town

5. Use the tindivanam bypass when you are driving from Vandavasi to Tindivanam. I went through the town and spent about 20 minutes driving around thanks to one way streets

6. Dont pick up alcohol from pondy while coming back as they check each car and ask you to open bags etc

I usually stop at Kamat which it attached to the Reliance petrol pump. Good food and relatively less crowd even on weekends
http://goo.gl/maps/EJZbI
Hi - Can you tell me the road condition as per the map you have uploaded from Arcot to Pondicherry. What I have heard is that its pretty bad, but I could be wrong because its old information. I am planning a trip in April thus checking. Is it good enough for a Sadan? What is the traffic volume like?
Old 11th March 2014, 16:47   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Is it good enough for a Sadan? What is the traffic volume like?
Road conditions were v good. Traffic was not much and the ride was enjoyable. Most of the roads were newly laid. If you are driving down in April then do check election dates and ensure that your are not using this route then. I drove down on 15th Jan and got stuck at cheyyar due to a strike. Had to take a detour. Do check my travelogue for pics and details

Last edited by procrj : 11th March 2014 at 16:49.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:53   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - Can you tell me the road condition as per the map you have uploaded from Arcot to Pondicherry. What I have heard is that its pretty bad, but I could be wrong because its old information. I am planning a trip in April thus checking. Is it good enough for a Sadan? What is the traffic volume like?
My inputs based on the route taken 1 month back -

1) The road condition is pretty good. It is a 2-lane road, without a median. Maintain usual vigil and you should be good.

2) Maintain an average of 65 kmph and you should be able to easily negotiate all varieties of traffic (the straight stretch of empty road is too good to resist, hence, the comment). Traffic itself is sparse. I encountered Pondy Govt vehicles more than anything else.

3) Slow down at village intersections as you may have something popping up from your left / right suddenly.

4) We travelled in a Sunny, so yes, the road is good for a sedan as well.

5) Traffic is at the most, medium. Trucks are bare minimum or none at all.

The route is correct. Just make sure you stick to it and take the by-pass(es) where recommended.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 11:50   #1085
BHPian

I'd been to Pondy on the 8th Mar weekend, and I must say it was an amazing ride.
Ride Specification:
Swift VDi (3rd Gen), 2 years old and 30,000 kms. on it.
The car had its 30k service a day before the journey.
This is the first time, I was on Synthetic oil and it was the most happy drive. I was cruising at a good speed without any issues, and could do a bit more.

Passengers - My wife, son and Me.

First off, thanks to all the good people above who've shared their travelogues and routes, which made life easier.

I followed the routes, but took a turn near Vellore, very well in advance.
Then I sought Google Navigation's help and continued the journey.
Even Google Nav. uses the same route as default:
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot (bypass)-Cheyyar (bypass)-Vandavasi (bypass)-Tindivanam (bypass)-Pondicherry
So don't worry, even if you're lost. You can count on the Navigation.
There was one short cut that I found before the Arcot bridge which if used carefully, leads you directly to the State Highway 5.
Again, be careful here. Google Navigation would start suggesting you to make a 'Slight Right' at this point. If you take this, you can avoid the U-turn over the Arcot bridge altogether.
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-arcotshortcut.png

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th March 2014 at 08:18. Reason: Editing out high speed mention.
vishnu-man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 08:49   #1086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
I'd been to Pondy on the 8th Mar weekend, and I must say it was an amazing ride.
Ride Specification:
Swift VDi (3rd Gen), 2 years old and 30,000 kms. on it.
The car had its 30k service a day before the journey.
This is the first time, I was on Synthetic oil and it was the most happy drive.
Starting on a long drive with a major service done a day before is not a good thing in my opinion. You should use the car for a week in the city to see if things have settled down well.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th March 2014 at 08:18. Reason: Editing quoted post.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 17:43   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
After computing the route in Google Maps, this is what I have come up with. I hope that's fine.

http://goo.gl/maps/6KTkl
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
I followed the routes, but took a turn near Vellore, very well in advance.
Then I sought Google Navigation's help and continued the journey.
Even Google Nav. uses the same route as default:
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot (bypass)-Cheyyar (bypass)-Vandavasi (bypass)-Tindivanam (bypass)-Pondicherry
So don't worry, even if you're lost. You can count on the Navigation.
There was one short cut that I found before the Arcot bridge which if used carefully, leads you directly to the State Highway 5.
Again, be careful here. Google Navigation would start suggesting you to make a 'Slight Right' at this point. If you take this, you can avoid the U-turn over the Arcot bridge altogether.
Attachment 1219187

All,

I am planning to drive down to Pondy on 29 March from Bangalore (returning on 31st) and am contemplating the above route. Anything specific to watch out for? Especially for this detour near Arcot to get onto SH5? Planning this ride on my Sunny XLD. How long did this route take for those that covered this recently?

Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 17:51   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
All,

I am planning to drive down to Pondy on 29 March from Bangalore (returning on 31st) and am contemplating the above route. Anything specific to watch out for? Especially for this detour near Arcot to get onto SH5? Planning this ride on my Sunny XLD. How long did this route take for those that covered this recently?

Thanks
No second thoughts. Follow the route mentioned below

Watch out for the traffic at Hosur. Happy Journey
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 09:14   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
All,

Thanks
Aroonanand,
The road is absolutely a breeze. Even the SH-5 is great, keep an eye on jaywalkers, bikers and speed-breakers (the speed-breakers have signboards well in advance, there are a few which have the signboards and no speed-breakers, they might've got merged with actual road during asphalting).
Another note on the eating joints, we missed out having breakfast near Krishnagiri as my son was asleep and we didn't want to wake him up. The next best place we ended up was at Arya Bhavan (which is within HP Petrol Bunk's premises and also has a CCD), which is on your right hand side after the Vellore road's second toll. You can take the U-turn. It's pretty easy, there's a sign-board indicating about Arya Bhavan too.
Rest should be good. You have a good one!

Thanks
vishnu-man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 16:01   #1090
BHPian

Guys,

Can someone give some more information about Tindivanam bypass? Is this a two-way road?

I recollect going into the town, narrow-kacha roads and driving next to the station (all one-way). Is that the bypass?

Sriram
Old 24th March 2014, 16:15   #1091
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssriram75 View Post
Can someone give some more information about Tindivanam bypass? Is this a two-way road?
Tindivanam College Road bypass is a two-way road with a bridge over the railway line. The details are here.

(1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 05:35   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssriram75 View Post
The trick is not look out for the bypass on to your left before you enter the town.I think there is a board now pointing to Chennai.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:02   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea if SH6A from Harur to Tiruvannamalai is good road? If this is decent, then this is a viable alternate route without the bad stretch, truck traffic and tolls

Last edited by procrj : 25th March 2014 at 08:04.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:53   #1094
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea if SH6A from Harur to Tiruvannamalai is good road? If this is decent, then this is a viable alternate route without the bad stretch, truck traffic and tolls
This may be a better thread to find updates:
Here
Old 25th March 2014, 10:02   #1095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That alternate route has now become the "standard" route from Tiruvannamalai. But in spite of that its not recommended because Tiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam is also quite bad.

Some folks also have explored Tiruvannamalai-Thirukkoilur-Villupuram-Pondicherry. Again Villupuram-Pondicherry is a narrow road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks