BHPian

Hi kap04.Can you update your experience of the trip via kolar
Old 7th October 2016, 13:30   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Hi kap04.Can you update your experience of the trip via kolar
Mate now that the situation is normal and vehicles are plying on either sides of the KA TN border, I would suggest you to go via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam .
Old 8th October 2016, 22:17   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate now that the situation is normal and vehicles are plying on either sides of the KA TN border, I would suggest you to go via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam .
That's right, will take the usual route now. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2016, 22:19   #1579
BHPian

Any newer updates on travel to Pondicherry? News of further unrest is trickling in, but it's more related to Rail Roko http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle9229636.ece

Wondering if someone travelled in last couple of days. I have to travel to Pondicherry on 21st October.

Last edited by needmorebhp : 17th October 2016 at 22:20. Reason: adding more detail
Old 18th October 2016, 08:37   #1580
BHPian

I travelled to Pondy this weekend on Saturday and came back to Bangalore on Sunday evening. Took the standard Krishnagiri - Ambur - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam route.

Roads are superb on the NH till Arcot and then standard SH fare - above average roads almost 90% of the way. Did not face any issue while going or coming back, but then don't remember seeing any other KA vehicle on the SH or Pondy. Not sure if things changed on Monday though.
jphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:15   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Very pleasant and scenic drive, but it is extremely painful to drive through any of our little Indian towns because of absolutely chaotic road usage by all manner of vehicles and creatures..
On the way back, we just naturally wandered along the old route which I used to take years ago, Gingee-Thiruvannamalai etc. Beautiful scenic route with some lovely views of the Rajagiri Forts etc. No problem really with the surface except in some patches.
I do have a plan to march out to Pondicherry this week end. The plan is to leave the city suburbs only by around 0830Hrs. That being said, which route would be better to take for the onward journey? I planned to take the tolled highway route (till Arcot) as this route may have good places for food (and cleaner toilets). Since we are having a late start, one break for food is inevitable. Are there any good places on the highway near Krishnagiri? That may be an apt place for a quick breakfast.

On the return journey, I thought of taking the state highway route (via Gingee Fort, Thiruvannamalai etc.). Your write up on those old journeys through the villages made me a bit nostalgic . The plan is to leave Pondicherry by around 1130Hrs, so only question is whether this route would be too crowded or take too long to cover.

Quote:
We actively chose not to go direct to Krishnagiri on the old route, preferring instead to branch off and go towards the highway itself for the last bit.
GoogleMaps is showing a left turn (when coming from Bangalore) at Amman Nagar/New Pet in the suburbs of Krishnagiri town. Is there a way to avoid this?

At Pondy, for the attractions near the White town beach (Promenade, War Memorial, Bharathi Park et.al), are there any provisions for a car park (paid or free)?? Did not get any information on this aspect. I know that some roads in that area are pedestrian only during the evenings.

Last edited by ampere : 24th October 2016 at 17:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 31st October 2016, 14:27   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Did a quick "Pondicherry & return" (to use the railway lingo) over the week end. I could not start really early in the morning and it was only at around 0700Hrs when we reached Attibele toll gate. The queue of vehicles out there was mind boggling, and it was only then I realised that though I was planning for a two day vacation, 99% of the crowd was going out for a 4 day holiday!! The FasTag line was pretty much non functional, as there were other vehicles were also occupying the lane. The staff how ever was trying their best to move away non-FasTag vehicles. I showed the tag on my wind shield and the security staff apologetically told that, they had to work this way as there were fights/arguments right in the morning. Many vehicle owners insisted that they should be allowed to use this lane because of the large number of vehicles involved. How ever I felt that, I saved at least 3-4 mins here.

The next surprise were the huge crowds at the popular fuel pump+food court complexes at Shoolagiri and at the place having Krishna Inn. We refulled at the place which has McDonalds etc., but just could not stand the crowd at the restaurant there. I was reminded of the huge food courts they have in the US (nearly 12 years back), and the crowd seen there. I made a mental note, to carry home made food when going out for such trips. Soon we reached Krishnagiri toll, and that is where I found the benefit of FasTag. It was fully functional, and the sentry made a quick check on the RFID. We saved at least 12-15 mins of waiting time there. Like an engine driver of the railways I said "FasTag! line clear...", to my wife and just sped on. Wifey is a bit cyinical on every thing new, but this time she too understood the benefit.

How ever the good mood was soon lost, when we had to stop for breakfast at one ".... Anandha Bhavan" at Krishna Giri just before the turning point to the Chennai highway. Below average food, and long waiting times. The whole staff & management were overwhelmed by the crowd. It was nearly 50mins to an hour, we took to get out of this place. Soon we continued our journey, and all the toll booths along the way accepted FasTag. The crowd at the toll booths how ever were very less when we compared to what we saw at Attibele and Krishnagiri. May be the Chennai bound folks had all gone much earlier in the morning.

It was by around 1030Hrs we reached the Arcot area, where we had to do the complex U turn manouvere. Thanks to Team-BHP, I had marked the A2B just before it and plotted a good number of points on my MapMyIndia Device. Then took the Cheyyar->Wandiwash->Thindivanam->Pondicherry route. By around 1300 to 1315 Hrs, we managed to cover the distance of approx 142kms driving through the state highways of TN. The state highway roads were good for 95% of this stretch. They were the typical TN state highways we see, pretty wide and with Tamarind trees on both sides. A sedate drive would be the most apt for these kind of roads. The pain points were the Cheyyar byepass, with bad roads as well as the innumerable humps, and Thindivanam town area. I don't know if Thindivanam has a byepass. But with the maps I plotted, I was taken right through this town, which also had some one way restrictions to add to the fun.

Started the return trip at 1430Hrs from Qualithe Restaurant nr. Bharathi park at Pondicherry. After the experiences on the state highway and the recent reviews, I decided to stick onto the same route. By around 1630Hrs I was back at Arcot, waiting to join the four lane highway. At around 1830Hrs I was at Saravanaaa Bhava (note the extra A and missing N) just a few kms after Krishnagiri toll. Okay food, and so decided to get the dinner also parcelled from there. With the Deepavali celeberations going on in all earnest managed to reach Bangalore city limits by around 1915Hrs.

Summary: Due to official commitments, I had to make this trip a short one. How ever I feel that a 3 day, 2 night trip to Pondicherry may be much more enjoyable. More sedate driving through the TN state highways, plus a more relaxed stay at PY and then return at a relaxed place. In case if it is a long week end, perhaps carrying a packed breakfast may be a good idea. With a proper packed breakfast, and an early start we can have a good picnic breakfast after we hit the TN state highway (from Arcot). May be next time....
Old 31st October 2016, 20:53   #1583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The queue of vehicles out there was mind boggling, and it was only then I realised that though I was planning for a two day vacation, 99% of the crowd was going out for a 4 day holiday!! The FasTag line was pretty much non functional, as there were other vehicles were also occupying the lane. The staff how ever was trying their best to move away non-FasTag vehicles.
No solution for this menace but beat the crowd in time.

Quote:
The next surprise were the huge crowds at the popular fuel pump+food court complexes at Shoolagiri and at the place having Krishna Inn. We refulled at the place which has McDonalds etc., but just could not stand the crowd at the restaurant there. I was reminded of the huge food courts they have in the US (nearly 12 years back), and the crowd seen there. I made a mental note, to carry home made food when going out for such trips.
This again is a known evil. But its a solved problem now. You should not break here for food. Carry some basic stuff in case folks are hungry. But there are many more hotels on the way. There is Saravana Bhavan before Krishnagiri, A Sai Sangeet at Ambur (after Krishnagiri), a couple of CCDs and an A2B at Arcot.

Quote:
How ever the good mood was soon lost, when we had to stop for breakfast at one ".... Anandha Bhavan" at Krishna Giri just before the turning point to the Chennai highway. Below average food, and long waiting times. The whole staff & management were overwhelmed by the crowd. It was nearly 50mins to an hour, we took to get out of this place.
As I said earlier go further up on the Chennai highway. There are more restaurants on the way.

Quote:
It was by around 1030Hrs we reached the Arcot area, where we had to do the complex U turn manouvere. Thanks to Team-BHP, I had marked the A2B just before it and plotted a good number of points on my MapMyIndia Device.
I dont think you need to that U-Turn act after the bridge anymore. Now you find a clear marking for Tindivanam just after the A2B. Hope you used it.

Quote:
I don't know if Thindivanam has a byepass. But with the maps I plotted, I was taken right through this town, which also had some one way restrictions to add to the fun.
This is a big let down. The problem is when you hit Tindivanam, the bypass says Chennai while straight says Tindivanam (or I think Pondicherry) and you are lead into the town.

You should take the bypass (which says Chennai) and the once you hit the 4-lane drive towards Trichy side. Further down you would see the 4-lane exit to Pondicherry.

Tindivanam Bypass

Quote:
More sedate driving through the TN state highways, plus a more relaxed stay at PY and then return at a relaxed place. In case if it is a long week end, perhaps carrying a packed breakfast may be a good idea. With a proper packed breakfast, and an early start we can have a good picnic breakfast after we hit the TN state highway (from Arcot).
Without traffic, you can sedately complete this drive in about 6 hours door to door. And the other big thing: hold on to your breakfast till you cross Krishnagiri. Because then the traffic substantially thins down for the restaurants. The lion's share heads out down south towards Salem.

Hope this helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 20:29   #1584
BHPian

Just back from Pondy. Left Saturday morning at 11 am from Bannerghatta Road, and back at 2:30 pm this afternoon.

Took this route: Krishnagiri - Karimangalam - Harur - Thiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - Pondy. Came back same way. This was on the advice of my host in Pondy who frequently travels between Pondy & South Bangalore.

Once you turn left at Karimangalam for Harur, you're off the Expressway and on to state highways, which are a mixed bag. I mulled coming back via Tindivanam - Arcot - Vellore - Krishnagiri, but the thought of the long-weekend crowd heading back to Bangalore on the Chennai - Bangalore highway deterred me (terrible memories of sitting put on the Mysore - Bangalore Hwy last Aug 15).

Tindivanam is indeed a mess; they are building fly-overs there and in Pondy on the Tindivanam - Pondy road, and it's a huge problem. If I had known of Amp's bypass for Tindi, I would have used that route even if it was a tad longer and roundabout; certainly would have been faster.

My route has no food options after Krishnagiri, so we had breakfast at home and packed a decent lunch which we had under huge, shady trees on the Harur - Thiruvannamalai stretch. For the return, we had breakfast at our hosts's and lunch at Shree Murugan Food Court in Krishnagiri, rated 4.0 on Google, but really bad. Not air-conditioned, limited food options at lunch-time, food quality quite poor, bad restrooms. Will not go there again.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:33   #1585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I mulled coming back via Tindivanam - Arcot - Vellore - Krishnagiri, but the thought of the long-weekend crowd heading back to Bangalore on the Chennai - Bangalore highway deterred me (terrible memories of sitting put on the Mysore - Bangalore Hwy last Aug 15).
Its actually not that bad. The real queue starts at Krishnagiri. So till then you should be able to cover distances fast.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 12:41   #1586
BHPian

Hi,

Traveled to Pondy & back over the Deepavali weekend. Took the route suggested - Vellore - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam both ways. Onwards, drive time of 6hrs for 380kms (4.50am dep). Return, 5hrs 45 mins. (11.45am dep).

Till Vellore, anyway, the road is excellent. There was a U-turn after Vellore which was mentioned in earlier posts. Here maps also showed a U-turn. That need not be taken now. There is a right turn to head towards Cheyyar before the bridge over Palar river. From this point on, till Tindivanam, the roads are SH, without divider and with patchwork and speed breakers. None of the speed breakers came as a surprise though but, there are a few culverts which will catch you by surprise with a nasty bump. Maintained a steady 75-85 on this road in my Polo GT TSI. Hardly any traffic and no potholes, either.

Saisangeet was a good stop for breakfast. Went to Saravana Bhavan inside Vellore, on the way back. Was ok, nothing great, but quite expensive. 230 bucks for a limited meal!?!?!
Old 21st November 2016, 13:44   #1587

Planned for a pondi trip. Met with an accident at Ambur. The car in front of me hit the divider and crashed and stopped instantly. The driver fell asleep.
Eventually, my vehicle dashed into it.

Though no one was injured, but my vehicle was damaged and the broken coolant system helped me decide to cancel the trip and go back to Bangalore.

Helpless Maruti Road Side Assistance, failed to provide a towing. Had to tow my vehicle back to Bangalore for 170kms.

Ambur Town Police was very helpful and helped me a lot.
Swore on making a successful trip to Pondi as soon as I get my Vehicle back repaired. NEVER SETTLE!!
Drive Safe...

Note from Support: Not more than two smilies per post.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st November 2016 at 14:04. Reason: Note Inline
Old 5th December 2016, 19:20   #1588
BHPian

Just being curious, has anyone faced any incident while going inside TN or coming out. This is with respect to the hospitalisation of Jayalalitha and subsequent suspension of bus services between KA & TN (source TOI).

I have a trip to Pondi coming up in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know the situation. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2016, 12:09   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Just being curious, has anyone faced any incident while going inside TN or coming out. This is with respect to the hospitalisation of Jayalalitha and subsequent suspension of bus services between KA & TN (source TOI).

I have a trip to Pondi coming up in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know the situation. Thanks in advance.
If you are planning for a trip couple of weeks later, things will be very different by then. Best is to check the status just before that.

-Ravi
Old 6th December 2016, 12:28   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Couple of weeks is a long time in such cases . From what I got from the media; the law and order situation in TN is very stable. People are out there on the street, but there is large scale violence or rioting. The new CM and his cabinet seems to have got a grip of things, and if the same trend continues things should be very much normal in TN a couple of weeks down the line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks