Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 11:12   #466
BHPian

Voted for Mumbai Pune Express way, however my Favorite is from Shrinagar to Leh. No exaggeration, landscape changes every 100 mtrs. And the beautiful scenery around is just too amazing.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:18   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktithakran View Post
i find the roads across Rajasthan as role-model to roads across India.
i've been through the following stretches --

Jaipur - Ajmer - Pushkar (travel quite a lot across this, and find it even better every time)

Churu - Bikaner - Jaisalmer
Ajmer - Pali - Sirohi - Mount Abu

+1 to that, add the Mount Abu-Sirohi-Udaipur to this. The road is scenic and after Sirohi the tribal areas start.
Almost no population only dense forest and hills for company. Most beautiful in the monsoons, bit scary and risky though at night.
Old 23rd January 2010, 17:51   #468
BHPian

I have not been on the Mumbai Pune expressway, but my personal favorite is the NH-5 stretch between Vizag and Rajahmndry. A few diversions have come up due to some canal work, but otherwise, this road is a pleasure to drive.
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:26   #469
BHPian

One more road i love is the ECR from Chennai to Mahaballipuram. It may not be very wide but surely is very scenic. One can see the ocean on one side while driving. During my college days, we would drive from Tambaram (college was there) to the ECR and head to Mahabs. There we would just chill out and drive back in the evenings! Loved every moment of it!
Old 15th February 2010, 09:23   #470
BHPian

Sagar(near shimoga) to Bhatkal(near karwar), 3 hours of driving in dense ghat sections, dangerous pin bend turn, and absolutely nothing and no one to give you company.
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:23   #471
Senior - BHPian

Like many others, i too would say that the Mumbai - Pune expressway is the fastest , most convenient & safest with fencing on the outer sides of the road on both sides & hence no cattle,monkeys etc, 2 wheelers are NOT allowed which reduces half the strain on drivers & so on and so forth. BUT, while its super fast, its also quite monotonous and for people living in Mumbai, Pune after a few drives on the expressway, there is no sense of challenge for them. The road quality, smoothness of the Pune-Bangalore highway is elite ,just that safety is a concern. I am always over cautious and dont speed much there as after Pune, 2 wheelers driving on the wrong end of the road in the opposite direction, cattle, stray dogs, village simpletons etc etc are common on this stretch at least till Kolhapur.
The most challenging and adventurous however, would be the Mumbai - Goa highway along konkan. Amazing scenic beauty, quite a challenge to drive as it was only 1 lane each side ( in the process of being converted to 2-lane currently) ,twisting-turning continuously and the many ghats out of which "kashedi" & "lote parshuram" are the big ones and quite fun.
Mumbai - Ahmedabad, again amazing stretch for the entire 540odd Kms. No ghats, twists and turns worth mentioning on this stretch and the Surat - Baroda stretch is especially fast. Again, better road quality than the Mumbai-Pune Expressway but no thrill to drive as such because its monotonous as well.
SO -
Mumbai - Pune Expressway - Fastest,safest BY FAR, convenient but highly monotonous

Pune - Bangalore Highway - Amazing road surface, drivers need to be at their cautious best. Many patches here are quite accident prone.

Mumbai - Goa Highway (NH 17) - Beautiful Scenic road, lots of twists & turns, challenge to drive, absolute heaven for those to love to "drive" and not just speed & HENCE RIDICULOUSLY ACCIDENT PRONE. trust me as certain stages on high ghats, if you are attentive enough, you might even spot, broken cars, mangled remains of trucks etc on huge tree tops which are at lower levels than the ghats. LOL

Mumbai - Ahmedabad Highway - Very very good road quality, straight for most parts,
monotonous ,can get boring.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 23rd February 2010 at 13:27.
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:52   #472
BHPian

I would rate NH2 Agra - Delhi , Delhi Noida Delhi Toll Expressway & Delhi Gurgaon expressway as some of the best while less traffic is plying. The moment traffic increases in peak hours, we all with our excellent rule breaking skill even make these a hell to drive.
Imagine driving at 100 & suddenly realising a tractor trolley stranded in middle of road with out any warning signs as well as a dumper truck coming from wrong side with all high beams in your face!!!
Old 24th February 2010, 10:08   #473
BHPian

I have voted for others since almost 10 years back i went from coimbatore to kerala through a L&T maintained road to Fantasy Park. That road was an absolute beauty, i still miss driving in that road.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:34   #474
BHPian

Hey, it just struck me: How come no one has mentioned the Hosur elevated expressway in Bangalore as yet. This is among the most modern elevated road in India. Recently i went for a drive there and was really amazed to see the quality of the roads. Pure bliss. Cuts traveling time by a huge margin as well! I was clocking about 140kph and got wizzed past by a Laura. He/she must have been doing about 200 at least!
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:30   #475
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays almost all NH's are getting fourlaned. NH's in Kerala are beautiful as it is very scenic. The traffic is also getting more and more and lane discipline is missing and the rules need to be followed while driving in high speed lanes. As everyone know Mumbai-Pune expressway is the fastest and best in terms of driving and safety. One of the busiest in SouthIndia is Chennai to Trichy NH45. It is challenging during night times to drive before it was fourlaned. The bus traffic in this NH is the largest in the country.
Old 14th March 2010, 16:43   #476
BHPian

The road that connects HP and Kashmir through Dalhousie - Salooni & Kishtwar. The road just enough for one vehicle and a steep drop on one side, apart from the Himalayan scenery you're bestowed with. Just awesome. I did it on my bike. The road remains usually closed though.

Cheers and drive on...
Old 15th March 2010, 00:13   #477
Senior - BHPian

NH17 ,Kasargod (50 kms from mangalore ) to Cannanore is awesome ...one of the best roads that I have come across ...its a regular 2 lane highway with awesome curves....regularly maxed out the Lancer (170 -180 kph) on the speedo with AC..

Another road that I liked is the Cannanore to Manathavady road (via Iritty).
Old 16th March 2010, 04:09   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
NH17 ,Kasargod (50 kms from mangalore ) to Cannanore is awesome ...one of the best roads that I have come across ...its a regular 2 lane highway with awesome curves....regularly maxed out the Lancer (170 -180 kph) on the speedo with AC..

The whole of NH 17 in terms of scenery, greenery and curves is AWESOME. But more often than not it gets too crowded. None the less, super road.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:23   #479
BHPian

the best for delhiites would be the delhi-gurgaon express highway till next toll at 2am at night. even the highway to shimla rocks.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:51   #480
Senior - BHPian

The Mysore-Mangalore SH-88 !!!

Mysore to Suntikoppa is a breeze where most cars and drivers would be doing 100+ speeds .Out of 100 kms ,atleast 70 kms has on coming traffic ...This road reminds me of the Nh4 Hubli bypass from Dharwad.Unlike the Bangalore-Mysore death road ,this has sign posts warning you of speedbreakers.

SH 88 has a more exciting drive from Sampaje(after the ghat ) till Mani where it meets the Nh48 ...this stretch is narrow where just 2 vehicles can pass ,but has fast sweeping corners which are fast as well exciting.The lancer was in its elements on this road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks