Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:54   #481
BHPian

I have not been to the Himalayan roads far north, but One of the most challenging and scenic roads I have traveled on is uphill Ooty from Mudumalai via the Kalhatti Ghat, with 36 steep hair pin bends, it is quite demanding. I have seen lesser experienced drivers struggling in those steep bends. It saves about 30 kms on the standard Gudalur route. And en-route mudumalai you can spot wildlife feeding along the road, and if it is your lucky day you can even spot the odd carnivore
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:18   #482
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Though 50% of this 500 vote poll is in favour of the Mumbai-Pune expressway, I have to disagree. Sure, if you mean quality of road, safety, average speeds, then the Expressway comes out on top.

Buttttttttttttttttttt it is SO BORING! I mean, how much fun is it to cruise at the same speed with minimal steering inputs and no gear changes (American freeways anyone). Sorry, but the expressway is not fun to drive at all.

Give me the updated Nasik - Bombay highway any which day. And preferably, early in the morning. That's when the road is entirely empty. Great fast corners, slow curves, long straights and amazing scenery. The last time I drove back on this stretch, I had a permanent smile for 24 hours.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:01   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though 50% of this 500 vote poll is in favour of the Mumbai-Pune expressway, I have to disagree. Sure, if you mean quality of road, safety, average speeds, then the Expressway comes out on top.

Buttttttttttttttttttt it is SO BORING! I mean, how much fun is it to cruise at the same speed with minimal steering inputs and no gear changes (American freeways anyone). Sorry, but the expressway is not fun to drive at all.
Totally agreed.

Absolutely straight road, can see for miles ahead, absolute minimal driver input, no judging oncoming traffic to over take(though this maybe more good than bad).

The only saving grace is the ghat section of this road and that too is a let down because of the heavy vehicles trying to overtake each other at 5 kmph and blocking the entire road.

Infact, i no of a few people who have either crashed or almost crashed because of them feeling drowsy due to the long straight monotonous boring road.

Would rather the bombay goa (both the costal and interior route) any day.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:03   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
what about the chennai-mahabalipuram road....amazing surface, coastal raod, not much traffic.
This is a road, that you just can't 'cruise and forget the rest of the world'. Yesterday there was an accident, a minibus knocked down 3 two drunk wheelers trying to rush to a Tasmac (govt liquor shop). This is a killer road,especially vehicles coming from Pondichery to Chennai. IMHO, this road doesn't even qualify for consideration here.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:44   #485
BHPian

The ECR road is a killer road. I have heard of some real bad accidents there. I quite like the road from Bangalore to Nandi Hills as well. If the timing is corrct, its a very scenic drive and not very far from the city either. I like hill driving. Even the stretch from Madikeri to Siddapur and towards the Mysore border is scenic. Narrow twisty roads surrounded by coffee estates. Its truly a beautiful sight!
Old 25th March 2010, 08:27   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
I have not been to the Himalayan roads far north, but One of the most challenging and scenic roads I have traveled on is uphill Ooty from Mudumalai via the Kalhatti Ghat, with 36 steep hair pin bends, it is quite demanding. I have seen lesser experienced drivers struggling in those steep bends. It saves about 30 kms on the standard Gudalur route. And en-route mudumalai you can spot wildlife feeding along the road, and if it is your lucky day you can even spot the odd carnivore
I remember riding on it 10 - 15 years back on our very own (World's First SUV) , Willys Station Wagon with a 3 speed gearbox and a P4 diesel engine. I was learning to drive and it was virtually an automatic for me with no gear changes needed whatsoever.

Willys Jeep Wagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally the wagon engine gearbox combo hardly needs a gear change and it moves from standstill on topgear virtually anyway except on this stretch.

Infact we fried the clutch on the willys and the brakes on an another petrol amby on this stretch. Very nice experience.

Last edited by ramkris : 25th March 2010 at 08:29.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:17   #487
BHPian

Near Ganpatipule..on the west coast

There is this beautiful road stretch from Ganpatipule-Ratnagiri via a beautiful beach Aare-Waare (yup, thats the beautiful name!).
It will definitely remind you of the Canyon mountain road in the NFS Carbon (though thats only about 1 km), and the road runs along the coast! (that, kinda reminds you of the Pacific Highway, from Roadrash!)
But, the Road.. is awesome!

Ace.

P.S.:Will take my dear iX there tomorrow, and come with pics!
Old 1st April 2010, 23:08   #488
Senior - BHPian

The best road ever to drive is NH17, ample opportunities to test your driving skills and be on your toes as it is a dividerless two lane highway. It has its own curves and straights alongwith the ghats as well. the view from th ghats is awesome. not to forget the numerous small eating joints and stopping for tea.

The scenery, especially during rainy seasons is beautifull.

Of course, sometimes it gets tricky when idiotic city drivers just try to overtake in a very unsafe manner (read from the left side).

The other good road is the nasik highway, which in the last year or so has been widened and resurfaced with quality tar and its a safer road with dividers. Again scenery during the monsoons is awesome. Just stop near Manas Resort at Igatpuri to have a glimpse of the Camel Valley and the Waterfall.

Expressway is boring and more suited only if you wanna do some high revving with your OHCs and Lancers.

Road quality and safety wise, expressway tops the list.
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:26   #489
Senior - BHPian

for me its the 36 Hair Pin Bend road from Ooty towards Mysore.
There is no other road which makes my heart Beats faster(period)
Old 7th April 2010, 14:46   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
guys ...
have any of you driven through thekkady to munnar ...mindblowing ..u cant go fast since the road winds through tea estates ..
Beautiful roads..thanks to HVK for recommending this

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
for me its the 36 Hair Pin Bend road from Ooty towards Mysore.
There is no other road which makes my heart Beats faster(period)
I have done it once. Have really struggled then due to the poor quality petrol fill....it was in 1st gear for most of the uphill........keen to do it again.

Valparai-Athirapalli is in my top pending list
Old 9th April 2010, 10:15   #491
BHPian

Shiridi Ghat(from mangalore to sakleshpur)on the way to bangalore.
I wouldnt call this stretch the best as the roads often peel off and is bumpy, but nonetheless this road offers some good driving experiences and can test your driving ability to the limit. Its good that they have fixed this road now and its in fairly good condition, not sure how long will this hold good. I had my share of happiness while driving yesterday, fantastic curves, pin bend turns, two lone dividerless road, on coming traffic couple with trucks trying to push you to the corner of the road, over taking these trucks and buses, some reckless cars trying to overtake you and they cant, all these with more to keep you always on your toes.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:47   #492
BHPian

I always prefer the hill stations of Tamil Nadu and Kerala for their sheer smoothness and the sweet cold air. Expressways bore me for their lack of excitement (other than when some supercars or superbikes zoom by).

A special mention for NH17 just for its warm people and the amount of places to explore.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:21   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Beautiful roads..thanks to HVK for recommending this

Valparai-Athirapalli is in my top pending list
See HVK Sir's comment here on Valparai-Athirapalli route .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
Shiridi Ghat(from mangalore to sakleshpur)on the way to bangalore.

I had my share of happiness while driving yesterday, fantastic curves, pin bend turns, two lone dividerless road, on coming traffic couple with trucks trying to push you to the corner of the road, over taking these trucks and buses, some reckless cars trying to overtake you and they cant, all these with more to keep you always on your toes.
You consider all these as good?

I thought Shiradi ghat section of NH48 (until few days back) was meant for serious off roading.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:12   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
See HVK Sir's comment here on Valparai-Athirapalli route .

You consider all these as good?

I thought Shiradi ghat section of NH48 (until few days back) was meant for serious off roading.
---------------------------------------
Yup, shiradi ghat is good for a smooth thrilled driving as of now, once monsoon sets in, and trucks traffic increasing day by day, it may soon become ready for some serious off roading.

btw, i did my drive on conty.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:36   #495
BHPian

I don't know if someone has mentioned about it earlier but Palampur to Baijnath (HP) is one of the best roads in India definitely. It is butter smooth and has beautiful views of Snow clad mighty dauladhar range. The road also passes through lush green tea gardens, beautiful campus of agricultural university and 5 star hotel welcome heritage Taragarh Palace on the way. The beauty can only be seen and not explained!
Attached Thumbnails
The Best Roads In India-p5231646.jpg  

The Best Roads In India-p5231664.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks