Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 15:43   #571
BHPian

Re: Best Roads In India ?

The vellore -Krishnagiri route on GQ is superb for a good zip drive
Second is between Chengelpet and Dindivanam
Mumbai -Pune expressway is also good and road repair needed urgently in someplaces if done my preference will change.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:57   #572
BHPian

There would have to be 2 categories in this discussion:

1) Four laned
2) Two laned

In the first category, I would give the Hyderabad to Bangalore road (NH7) my best choice in India.

Over 500 kms of lovely four laned tarmac. Although you do have objects and Nuts travelling in the opposite direction and that too at high speeds, which you have to keep an eye out for. Oh yeah and not to forget the speed breakers after chikballapur towards bangalore and the speed restriction after devanahalli airport!

This road was always fun to drive, even when it was only two-laned.

Currently, this road has ensured my door to door (Hyderabad to bangalore and vice-versa) times have come under 6 hours.

In the second category, I have 2 roads - both equally fun to drive. ECR from Mahabalipuram southwards and Mumbai to Goa NH17.

Both have the same fun factor with very little traffic and amazing banked curves.

NH17 would get my vote just slightly higher because it features some ghat sections also, lending to amazing scenery. But only marginally.

Last edited by laxmanrk : 16th September 2011 at 17:06.
Old 16th September 2011, 17:26   #573
Senior - BHPian

The approximately 90 km stretch of the NH4 between Kagal and Belgaum is just amazing! If all highways were like that, I would have changed professions and become an inter-city taxi driver!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th September 2011, 09:54   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post

1) Four laned
2) Two laned

In the first category, I would give the Hyderabad to Bangalore road (NH7) my best choice in India.
I completely agree.

We definitely need two categories here.

Also, even after having driven on both the old and new Hyd - Blr NH7, and the GQ stretch between Pune and Gurgaon, I agree that in terms of road surface quality and the ability to maintain consistently high average travelling speeds, the NH7 comes out on top. Facilities and people's traffic sense could be better, though, compared to other places (Rajasthan comes to mind).

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th October 2011, 18:56   #575
Senior - BHPian

I drove only a few Nh roads in India. If I rank it from the top to bottom they are.
1. Chennai Bangalore Road.
2. Chennai Kanyakumari Road.
3. Salem to Madurai
4. Krishnagiri to Salem Road.
5. Trichy Dindigul
6. Madurai Cochin Road
7. Madurai Shenkottah
8. Madurai Rameswarm
Old 20th October 2011, 22:09   #576

This question is slightly vague. Are u refering to zoomability or scenic beauty?
Having driven on quite a few roads I would say that there are now quite a few in the first category. eg NH 4 (Pune Bangalore), Jaipur Agra (dont remember the no), Mumbai Pune E-way, Baroda Ahmedabad E-way.
The coastal road from Mumbai to Mangalore (NH 17 I think) is very scenic particularly in rains.
Old 21st October 2011, 15:55   #577
Senior - BHPian

Talking about the best roads (assuming the roads in and around cities as well), would rate NICE road Blr as one of the best connecting Hosur road to Tumkur road (NH4) especially the stretch from clover leaf to Bsk 3rd stage. Does not feel like you are bang in the middle of a big city with the road cutting through the boulders and sparse traffic (at least on this stretch). Highly recommend every one living in this town to try it out before it gets filled up!
Old 21st October 2011, 17:09   #578
BHPian

Note from Mod : STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post

1) Four laned
2) Two laned

Over 500 kms of lovely four laned tarmac. Although you do have objects and Nuts travelling in the opposite direction and that too at high speeds, which you have to keep an eye out for. Oh yeah and not to forget the speed breakers after chikballapur towards bangalore and the speed restriction after devanahalli airport!

This road was always fun to drive, even when it was only two-laned.

Currently, this road has ensured my door to door (Hyderabad to bangalore and vice-versa) times have come under 6 hours.

In the second category, I have 2 roads - both equally fun to drive. ECR from Mahabalipuram southwards and Mumbai to Goa NH17.

Both have the same fun factor with very little traffic and amazing banked curves.

NH17 would get my vote just slightly higher because it features some ghat sections also, lending to amazing scenery. But only marginally.
completely agree! Would just like to add one more category (not everyone may agree) - mud roads! Essentially these would include roads that just have traces of tarmac now, which in some cases renders the journey even more exciting!

I happened to undertake a return trip (240 km) between Rampur and Lanjigarh (Orissa jungles) last July and it was absolute fun! Drove a rented Scorpio across truck sized potholes with the legendary monsoon soaked Blue Mountains (Niyamgiri) in background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The approximately 90 km stretch of the NH4 between Kagal and Belgaum is just amazing! If all highways were like that, I would have changed professions and become an inter-city taxi driver!

Cheers,
Vikram
Beautiful road indeed, Vikram!

Four laned Category: Mumbai Surat highway is a gorgeous length of tarmac!
Two laned roads: Love the State Highway from Kashid to Vengurla! Excellent roads with minimal traffic!

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2011 at 14:09. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:37   #579

I think the Mumbai-Pune expressway is the best because you do not have to worry about pedestrians/stray animals/bullock carts suddenly popping up from no where. So its a tension free zippy drive and one of the most picturious esp in the monsoons.
The worst NH is the Delhi - Dehradoon highway. 2 lanes without a divider and UP roadways busses !! Its a nightmare.
Old 30th October 2011, 18:37   #580
BHPian

I found Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway (NE-1) better than Mumbai-Pune. I drove this stretch last in Jun 2006 though.

Most scenic is subjective - but I like the Mandi-Kullu section of NH21 the most.
Old 30th October 2011, 21:21   #581
BHPian

My choice is Bangalore to Hyderabad in NH7, the 500 kms stretch is fun to drive. Backdrop of some mountains and 4 laned throughout the entire stretch. The only exception in this NH is the chickballapur stretch where there are so many speed breakers.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:30   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Talking about the best roads (assuming the roads in and around cities as well), would rate NICE road Blr as one of the best connecting Hosur road to Tumkur road (NH4) especially the stretch from clover leaf to Bsk 3rd stage. Does not feel like you are bang in the middle of a big city with the road cutting through the boulders and sparse traffic (at least on this stretch). Highly recommend every one living in this town to try it out before it gets filled up!
We have property on Magadi Road off NICE and it is such a pleasure to zip through NICE on our way there. The ride more than makes up for the toll charges.
Old 4th November 2011, 20:44   #583
BHPian

Agree! NH-17 is awesome! Even the Sahara Ambey valley road is quite fun to drive... Obviously during non traffic hours and especially not on weekends if you know what I mean!
Old 14th November 2011, 15:33   #584
BANNED

NH3 is for me. The most butter smooth stretch of tarmac. Gets better after Nashik (Ozar). Straight roads with slight high speed curves. Can easily max your car here.

The Mumbai - Pune express highway is also good, just that its made of concrete block that, in some places don't align properly.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:16   #585
BHPian

Love the NH4 road from Bangalore to Pune. Super Smooth with potholes at a few places. But there is amazing scenic beauty on the road with windmills and rocky hills.

For super speeds i feel the NICE road from Neelamangala to Mysore is the best. the whole road doesnt have even one pothole AFAIK. And you just keep on accelerating till Mysore. The tolls are a bit high but speeds and thrill on that road is well worth the toll money

For bikes The best twisty road AFAIK is the route to Devaranayadurga and Namada Chilume on the NH4. Fat tires and sporty riding position as in FZ-S should make it a very adventurous bike ride.

Anyone been on this route? Ive only gone there in my car but from my friend who rides an FZ-S ive heard that its one of the most fun routes where the bike comes into its own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks