Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:32   #616
BHPian

Re: The Best Roads In India

Here is my list of roads which excites me -

1. Guwahati - Shillong - Silchar. No one can beat that when it comes to beauty. Travelled in bus. After Shillong there was a stretch where Indian army accompany you for safety.
2. Tezpur Assam - Tawang. +30 to -30 degree... Hell of a road.
3. Bangalore - Coorg. Drove in Tata Safari.
4. Mumbai - Goa - It was Hyundai Accent. Loved it.
5. Chandigarh - Manali - Thunderbird 350.

I spent first 18 yrs of my life in Arunachal so know about that part a bit
ajayrec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:53   #617
Team-BHP Support

The most exciting roads for me

You can call them the best roads in India, or the "worst" roads in India, but as far as excitement goes, there is no comparison
The chandertall road. As wide as your vehicle. When you see a vehicle as far as 2kms away, you just stop and wait, as this is the only place two vehicles can pass for long time!
The Best Roads In India-img_3895l.jpg

The Manali Leh highway...!
The Best Roads In India-dsc_6132_lrl.jpg

The road to Wari La
The Best Roads In India-dsc_dsc_6278_lrl.jpg

The road to Kakasang La. Will make you weep and pray, and take your breath away
The Best Roads In India-dsc_dsc_6509_lrl.jpg

People call this the Zanskar road, but I call it the Glacier highway

The Best Roads In India-dsc_dsc_6986_lrl.jpg

The Best Roads In India-dsc_dsc_7013_lrdsc_dsc_7017_lr20copyl.jpg

The Best Roads In India-dsc_dsc_7086_lrl.jpg

The Best Roads In India-dsc_dsc_7102_lrl.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2013 at 13:11. Reason: Re-uploading image as attachment
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:02   #618
BHPian

Having driven extensively in India, I know the usual suspects would be the NHs and the E-ways. However, the most fun I ever had on the road was a SH stretch in Uttar Pradesh between Jaunpur and the outskirts of Azamgarh (60 kms or so). Turns out this was developed with the help of funds from the World Bank. First time I drove it was in back in 2009. Then again late 2012. The road surface has remained as pristine as it was earlier. Not a single pot-hole! The surface is silk-smooth tarmac and a good set of tyres would stick to it like glue! Can get busy during the day but the best time to drive would post sunset when the traffic is almost non-existent. Absolutely brilliant road IMHO!
Old 15th May 2013, 11:58   #619
BHPian

BLR-HYD 4 lance AH-43 seems really good, except for minor traffic around kurnool and jadcherla. Except that really dream to drive. But can get boring once u cross gooty, due to plain landscape.
But HYD to Nizamabad Bypass (Dichpally) is even better, amazing landscape and very less traffic.
Neharu ORR(Hyd) is even better than NICE road, and amazing reasonable.
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 22:25   #620
BHPian

Traveled Mahua-Jaipur Tollway today between Sikandra and Jaipur. Very nice road. Well planned, well marked truck bye lanes and parking barricaded from main road and with washrooms and drinking water. All towns on the way provided with service roads and larger towns with regular flyovers with sufficient space below to cross.

Interestingly, official speed limit on this road is 90 kmph. I was under impression that speed limit on Indian Highways is 80 kmph. When I first saw 90 kmph sign I thought I must have read it wrong, but later I saw two more such signs.

Also, All the vehicles, including big imported cars were traveling within speed limit. I was surprised by this discipline. May god give such wisdom to all brats driving at 120 kmph+ of Mumbai-Pune expressway when the speed limit is 80!
Old 4th June 2013, 16:01   #621

The NH connecting Salem and Madurai is another one among many roads maintained well in Tamil Nadu. Got to say Tamil Nadu has the best roads in India, esp the HIGHWAYS..

Coming back there are few stretches where the road and traffic can be seen for kms together. This gives you confidence to accelerate to high speeds. Again one major problem here are the two wheeler guys who just make a dash from the leftmost lane across to the right not knowing the speed of the oncoming vehicle.

But this gets boring after a while as there are only straight roads!! No fun Can hit high speeds thoh!
Old 9th June 2013, 16:22   #622
BHPian

I don't know how many of you have travelled on this, but the road from Kangra to Palampur in Himachal is one of my favourites. It's a single lane straight road, one one side is the mighty Himalayas and on the other is plain fields with a railway track running through the middle.
Another one if the Karwar road from Hubli to Karwar, boy and I travelled here in the midst of heavy monsoon - great scenery, twists & turns, road surface & definitely the one road to die for.
Old 28th June 2013, 07:53   #623
BHPian

My favourite road, not necessarily the best road, is the ECR: Chennai - Mahabalipuram - Pondicherry. This is a road I have taken maybe close to a 100 times in the last few years. I love this stretch even though being generously populated with inconsiderate drivers who seem to think road rules are just a suggestion from their doting grandmother.

Being quite familiar with the road gives me a good idea of the bad stretches, dangerous curves and tricky crossings. The reasons I love it are that on a nice day it is extremely scenic and picturesque and more importantly the innumerous drives on this road have deep personal meaning for me and my partner
Old 21st July 2013, 11:37   #624

The NH17 is simply one of the most engrossing roads around. Maybe, you cannot hit speeds that you could like on the yamuna expressway or the mumbai-pune expressway. But it is home to some of the most scenic spots. One of my favourite strech is the one at Marvanthe. What makes it special is the fact that the road is sandwiched between the arabian sea on one side and a serene river on the other. The two sides offer a contrasting view, with the sea roaring at full strike whereas the river presents a calm surrounding.
Attached Thumbnails
The Best Roads In India-marvanthe.jpg  

Girishkini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 09:55   #625

Some of my favourite stretches are -

1. Udaipur Bypass to Swaroopganj (on EW corridor)
2. Aut to Mandi (on Manali Chandigarh Highway)
3. Kumarsain to Rampur (on Shimla Rampur Highway)
4. Yamuna Expressway
Old 31st August 2013, 23:07   #626
BHPian

My favourite stretches are:
1. Nelamangala to Bellur Cross - NH 48
2. Hassan to Belur - State Highway 57
3. Karkal to Kudremukh for the scenic beauty. This road used to be extremely good. Not too well maintained since the last couple of years. A part of it is NH, if i am not mistaken.
shauncolaco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 03:51   #627
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

One of the happiest and most beautiful stretches of road for me personally is; Ooty to Kotagiri via Doddabetta. Beautiful scenic drive. Clean fresh air. Sweeping views and vistas of forest clad mountains, a carpet of green tea bushes and an overall excellent road surface with gently banked curves. I ve been up and down this road since the 1970's and it is as beautiful as it has always been. The only thing is that it has got more and more crowded over time.
Old 1st September 2013, 11:12   #628
BHPian

The Bisle Ghat road from Kukke Subramanya to Donigal (off Bangalore-Mangalore highway) has out of the world scenery, but the road was bad a couple of years ago, not sure of road conditions now.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:02   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
The Bisle Ghat road from Kukke Subramanya to Donigal (off Bangalore-Mangalore highway) has out of the world scenery, but the road was bad a couple of years ago, not sure of road conditions now.
Unimaginably beautiful scenery on Bisile ghat road! Had been there late last year. Road was really bad that time. Last heard it is pretty much in the same condition.
Old 1st January 2014, 00:42   #630
BHPian

Re: Best Roads In India ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
NH7. Bangalore to Kanyakumari. Absolute blast to drive.
Well, i just got back after the Xmas drive. Not so much of blast. May be the stretch after Salem is possibly much better and after Madurai is a lot better. But a "blast" is possibly when one has not had much in way of choices!

Drive more. Drive to Goa. Drive to Hyderabad. You will have bigger blasts in the new year. Have fun!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks