Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 05:07   #646
BHPian

Re: The Best Roads In India

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Last week I had one of the best experiences traveling to Hubli.

Belgaum-Hubli is a wonderful experience. Perhaps the best on Indian roads I have used till day. Better than Mumbai-Pune or Vadodara-Ahmedabad expressways. It was late evening. When i crossed Belgaum it was almost 7 pm. I was bit scared with my experience on Satara Pune section the previous week where it was like driving in dark space without any clues.

But this was great surprise. It is recently six laned road and they have put reflectors on the lane markings too. For lanes they are white and for edge of road they are red. In the night they glow in your head lights to clearly show you the lanes. Also, being little protruded, it discourages frequent lane changing even during the day time.

I think all roads in India should be made to that standard as basic necessary requirement. There is no great scenery around this road but the quality of road helps you travel at good speed. Because of these reflectors and marking you feel safe and assured even during dark.
I did have a drive along this stretch from Belgaum to Hubli recently. Yes, it is a pure dream to drive on roads like that. As compared to Ahmedabad - Vadodara and Mum - Pun expressway, I would agree this is a far better road to drive.
The best part was the road surface. If you observe, before approaching speed breakers or median gaps, the road becomes a little more hard, causing a little more car noise and reducing your speed. Well marked signages and 6-lanes plus road shoulders for the highway plus empty space plus service roads at a far distance in case a village/town exists.
Old 11th June 2015, 19:18   #647
BHPian

India's Best Road Trips

*** NOTE: please participate in the poll only after having read this initial post. Thank you! ***

There are some excellent descriptions to be found in the Travelogues section of this forum of various road trips that Team-BHPians have taken over the years, both in India and overseas. There is even an interesting thread on "Dream Road Trips," but I couldn't find any thread on what the members of this forum consider to be the best road trips in India. I came across an interesting article in The Huffington Post, that I am going to reproduce below in its entirety. Please go through all the contenders and then vote in the poll at the end for your favourite (this is by definition a subjective poll, since there really can't be one definitive "best" Indian road trip). Also, if you think there are any glaring omissions, please feel free to add a description along with photographs. And please remember to prepare for your road trip the right way, as outlined in this informative article: Preparation for an Indian Road Trip. Safety first!

Here's Sriram Sharma's article in the June 8 online edition of the Huff Post (We Google Mapped India's 12 Best Road Trips For You):

"Planning a road trip but not sure which one has the best payoff? Here are some snapshots from the best user-rated trails in India, highly acclaimed by road-trip enthusiasts who have [covered] every kind of terrain the country is famous for — from desert to evergreen forests, mountains to coasts, mud roads to six lane highways.

India has something for every type of traveller, and getting there is half the fun. With a broadband connection, planning your trip out can be just as gratifying. Just drop the Pegman on a route on Google Maps, and you can check out panoramic views and shots from the ground. We've linked to Google Maps on each one of these routes for your serendipity.

Srinagar-Leh Highway
The Best Roads In India-1.jpg
NH1-D is one of two roads that connect Ladakh with the rest of India, the other being Leh-Manali Highway. The 422 km long highway is best travelled during early June to mid-November. Ladakh's monasteries, landscapes and mountains make this a trip of a lifetime. (On Google Maps)

Khardung La in Ladakh...
The Best Roads In India-2.jpg
If you've made it to Leh, you owe it to yourself to explore the Khardung La elevation. Located in Ladakh, north of Leh, at a height of 5,359 metres, it's one of the highest motorable roads in the world. This road is not for the faint of heart, do carry some altitude sickness pills. (On Google Maps)

Guwahati to Sohra
The Best Roads In India-3.jpg
This road trip traversing the states of Assam and Meghalaya has some of the most breathtaking views of grasslands, waterfalls, and rain forests. (On Google Maps)

Bangalore to Coonoor
The Best Roads In India-4.jpg
This trip from Bengaluru to Coonoor, situated in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu will take you close to seven or eight hours by road. The route gets scenic once you reach Bandipur National park, with tea plantations, water falls, and greenery all around. (On Google Maps)

Karwar to Mangalore
The Best Roads In India-5.jpg
This 260 kilometre stretch along the coast of Karnataka is hailed for its breathtaking views of the sea and sunset on one side, and the Western Ghats on the other. (On Google Maps)

Shillong - Sohar
The Best Roads In India-6.jpg
No trip to Meghalaya is complete without this cross country ride from the capital to Cheerapunji. Just over 50 kilometres long, the scenic views and greenery will have you in cloud #9. (On Google Maps)

Mumbai To Pune
The Best Roads In India-7.jpg
The Mumbai-Pune expressway is one of the better maintained roads in India, passing through the western ghats. (On Google Maps)

Manali to Leh
The Best Roads In India-8.jpg
This is a view of the valley near Sarchu, India, seen when one enters Ladakh from Himachal Pradesh, on the highway connecting Manali and Leh. (On Google Maps)

Delhi to Agra
The Best Roads In India-9.jpg
The six lane Yamuna Expressway is the closest thing India has to an autobahn. It's one of the best roads to test the maximum speed of your vehicle. (On Google Maps)

Bengaluru to Hampi
The Best Roads In India-10.jpg
There are three routes to Hampi from Bengaluru, the one via NH4 and NH13 is the most recommended and will take you around six hours. (On Google Maps)

Mumbai/Bengaluru To Goa
The Best Roads In India-11.jpg
Getting to Goa on a road trip has a charm of its own. The trip takes around 10-12 hours from Mumbai or Bengaluru, and the road is best taken with family or friends. (On Google Maps 1, 2)

Chennai To Puducherry
The Best Roads In India-12.jpg
This 4-hour long ride through the east coast of southern India is an ideal weekend getaway for Chennai residents. Seen here in this photo are the salt mounds near Chennai. (On Google Maps)"

As it happens, I have at some time or the other driven down all or part of 8 of the aforesaid 12 routes, but since many of these trips were taken a long time ago, I'd much rather hear from others who have been on these roads more recently and whose opinions therefore carry far more weight.

And now, please participate in the poll. Thank you!

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 11th June 2015 at 19:29.
Hawkeye269 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 11:03   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India's Best Road Trips

Voted CHennai to Pudu. Loved that!
Being a landbound traveller, it was such a brilliant experience having the sea on one side.

PS:
Delhi to Agra? Is that a filler for the poll?
Numbed mind due to the utterly bland nature, bleeding ears owing to the tyre noise, empty stomach due to the "canteens" and their useless food......Yes, its an experience alright.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 12:29   #649
BHPian

Re: India's Best Road Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Here's Sriram Sharma's article in the June 8 online edition of the Huff Post (We Google Mapped India's 12 Best Road Trips For You):
Nice article and a good collection of road trips!
Was checking out Google Map links and they don't seem very specific, leave you with multiple options between the endpoints to figure out the best.
You may end up on a different road then they probably visualized.
Old 6th November 2015, 00:06   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

My personal experience so far pertaining to the road condition only - the stretch from Bangalore-Hubli is flawlessly save for a few kms here and there (I traveled in late 2012) . More recently, the stretch from Vijaywada-Hyderabad was another wonderful experience. I covered during night time with mild rain here and there and yet covered 300+ kms in less than 3.5 hours. It is so well marked that it inspires confidence.
Old 6th November 2015, 00:21   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugnair View Post
so
go ahead....india is truly shining...!

by the way i say mumbai pune expressway

Wow this post dates back to over a decade and I must say even today I would rate YCEW aka Mumbai Pune Expressway to be the best in India!

Of course it comes with a price tag of 195 Rs one way toll. How much was it back then?
Old 6th November 2015, 11:09   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
.. the stretch from Vijaywada-Hyderabad was another wonderful experience. ...
Yes, Hyderabad-Vijayawada highway is a dream drive, have done twice within 3.5Hrs.
Also on NH9, Pune-Solapur is at the same level, however in between Solapur to Hyderabad is complete opposite.

Recently took to NH7 (Hyderabad-Bangalore side) till Gooty, and felt its a notch better than NH9 - ~300kms in 3hr to 3hr15mins.
It looked a little safer with relatively longer sections having boundaries on both sides.
Old 11th November 2015, 11:02   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Nice article and a good collection of road trips!
Was checking out Google Map links and they don't seem very specific, leave you with multiple options between the endpoints to figure out the best.
You may end up on a different road then they probably visualized.
Thanks, DeepV, I guess the end has been left open to keep things more interesting... after all, some beautiful paths can't be discovered without first getting lost. Then again, wasn't it Tolkien who said "not all all those who wander are lost"??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Delhi to Agra? Is that a filler for the poll?
Numbed mind due to the utterly bland nature, bleeding ears owing to the tyre noise, empty stomach due to the "canteens" and their useless food......Yes, its an experience alright.
Thanks for voting, Mayank. And I agree, I too am a big fan of the winding road, pretty scenery, and roadside eateries serving up tasty specialities with oodles of character. However, despite it being labelled bland and monotonous by some, I think the caption for the Agra expressway said it all: "The six lane Yamuna Expressway is the closest thing India has to an autobahn. It's one of the best roads to test the maximum speed of your vehicle."

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th November 2015 at 12:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 16th December 2015, 20:57   #654
BHPian

I believe this road/bridge/tunnel should be the one to drive upon as and when it comes up - India to build Sea Bridge to connect to Sri Lanka.

Not quite sure it would technically qualify as one of the best roads in India.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:19   #655

Favorite moments of drive !!

Hi All. I am not sure if this kind of topic has been discussed here.
I generally drive really early to office (Reach office by 6:00 AM) for Gym and I have realized that I do not really like to drive that early in morning, even though it is much less traffic here in Hyderabad and much less pollution.

I have realized that my favorite time to drive is Afternoon time, when sun is not too hot (preferably Winters, even summer is fine). Driving through a jungle, Wind whispering in the ears and melodious beats of Car engine. On top, Mohammad Rafi singing "Pukarta Chala hoon main". This drive alone will re-energize me.

I encourage fellow BHPians to share their favorite moments while driving. Mine was driving from Bandipur to Ooty via Masingudi.

(Picture from Internet)

The Best Roads In India-dscn2781.jpg
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:47   #656
BHPian

Re: Favorite moments of drive !!

Well my favorite moment to drive is when my mind is not cluttered with other parts of daily life. E.g. while going for office my mind is always full with planning for planning meetings, TODOs, and I don't really enjoy driving at this time. But while returning home from office (irrespective of time and traffic) I somehow enjoy driving more.

Apart from I enjoy late night drive the most!
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:45   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

This used to be my favorite, the barapullah elevated road in Delhi. It still is, and now reaches straight till DND from Lodhi road.
Between 3-5 pm, and anytime after 12AM to early dawn. Brilliant swoops and turns, and no fear of stray lifeforms. Not just for good handlers, this will put a smile on your face even in a van.

From 5 to 7.5.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:50   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This used to be my favorite, the barapullah elevated road in Delhi.
Ditto. Barapullah is amazing even today. Still remember my first ride on it and I was flooooored.
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:08   #659
BHPian

Mine would be the winding ghats of the Nilgiris, from Mettupalayam to Ooty, via Kotagiri.
Not much of traffic, and not too many dangerous curves.
Similar drive from Gudalur to Ooty.
Masinagudi route helps you reach faster, but you cannot enjoy the drive.
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:54   #660
BHPian

From Gundulpet towards Ooty, the stretch of Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur would be my favourite drive.

The Best Roads In India-bandipur.jpg

The Best Roads In India-mudumalai.jpg

The Best Roads In India-towards-gudalur.jpg
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks