Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 08:51   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore trip over last weekend.
The last time i did this route in April, there was a lot of flyover constructions in the ambur -vellore - arcot section. Have they completed this.

I will be driving down on 26th and hence want to avoid any kind of weekday traffic near chennai hence planning to take
a. Sriperumbudur - Mudichur - Tambaram
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1387855009

b. Sriperumbudur - Oragadam - Tambaram
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1387855009

Did drive through Oragadam in April and the roads were amazing. Not sure if things have changed.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:44   #1397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The last time i did this route in April, there was a lot of flyover constructions in the ambur -vellore - arcot section. Have they completed this.
I counted 4 deviations between Walajpet toll and Krishnagiri, compared to my previous drive two months back felt the ride has become much stress free. Also work on these 4 deviations looked like will be completed in few weeks.
Old 24th December 2013, 19:49   #1398
BHPian

Team, request your help in identifying the best route and time to get into Chennai at Kodambakkam area.

Starting from Bangalore to Vellore - Dec-26
Halt at Vellore - I have some work at Vellore
Start from Vellore to Chennai (Kodambakkam area) around 3 PM - Dec-27, is this good time to start
Return from Chennai - Dec-30, planning to start at 5.30 am

Some of my fiends scared me of the time it takes to cover about 100 kms from Vellore to Chennai - they said it would be around 3-4 hrs which is unbelievable. Is it so tough?

Please advise and let me now the best route to my destination and ime to start to avoid peak hr rush to get into and out from Chennai.

This is the first time I am driving to Chennai.

Last edited by blrboy : 24th December 2013 at 19:50.
Old 24th December 2013, 20:12   #1399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Some of my fiends scared me of the time it takes to cover about 100 kms from Vellore to Chennai - they said it would be around 3-4 hrs which is unbelievable. Is it so tough?
Take at least an hour to get into Chennai from Poonamallee. On top you get onto Kanchi Chennai traffic as well. Add to it Nokia and Hyundai factory buses. You can hit into 3 + hour travel time. Hence the importance of that starting time.
Old 24th December 2013, 22:19   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Start from Vellore to Chennai (Kodambakkam area) around 3 PM - Dec-27, is this good time to start

Vellore to Poonamallee is about 120 km. Bulk of this distance is still 2 lanes per carriageway. You need to cross Kanchipuram and Sriperumbudur. At the time you mention, there will be shift changeover at the factories in your route.

Given all this, I think it will take you minimum 2 hours to cover this distance, if not more.

Poonamallee to Kodambakkam should take you an hour at least if you start between 5 and 6 PM (via Porur & Vadapalani OR Maduravoyal & Anna Nagar - doesn't matter).

And those are optimistic estimates. I think between 3 to 4 hours is a fair assessment.

You will do much better if you start before 1 PM (enter Chennai before evening rush hour starts) or after 7 PM (enter Chennai after evening rush hour subsides). Last time I went this way, I did Vellore to Besant Nagar in about 2.5 hours starting from Vellore at around 6:15 PM.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 11:02   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You will do much better if you start before 1 PM (enter Chennai before evening rush hour starts) or after 7 PM (enter Chennai after evening rush hour subsides). Last time I went this way, I did Vellore to Besant Nagar in about 2.5 hours starting from Vellore at around 6:15 PM.
Thank you. I think I will start from Vellore after 6 PM as you suggested. Hopefully I can make it o Kodambakkam by 10 PM at least.
Old 26th December 2013, 07:13   #1402
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you. I think I will start from Vellore after 6 PM as you suggested. Hopefully I can make it o Kodambakkam by 10 PM at least.
Good news at last for regular users of chennai-krishnagiri (NH 4) stretch. Entire 93 km of Poonamalee-wallajahpet stretch going to be made 6 lane. The work is expected to start by JAN14 and to be completed by DEC 15.
Attached Images

Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 11:50   #1403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
The work is expected to start by JAN14 and to be completed by DEC 15.
Better late than never.
This part should have been widened first considering this is the busiest stretch from Chennai - Krishnagiri.
Last couple of months I am noticing few areas between Sriperubedur and Wallajahpet has some leveling work done on sides of the road. Though I did not notice any on-going work. Not sure if this was related to above mentioned 6 lane work.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:12   #1404
Senior - BHPian

While on the topic, the expressway project ambles along:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5494552.ece

"The six-lane, access-controlled [Chennai-Bangalore Expressway] will be an alternative to the two existing roads to Bangalore – the one passing through Kolar and Chittoor and the Hosur, Krishnagiri and Walajapet route."
Old 27th December 2013, 16:30   #1405
BHPian

Traveling to chennai this weekend and I need to go to vadapalani.

1) is it worth taking the sriperumpudur-kodambakkam road to avoid traffic into chennai?
2) if 1 is not worth it, I was thinking of taking the mt poonamalle road from NH4 - (at saveetha dental college) - will it help?

Not a frequent traveler to chennai. So not sure about saturday traffic getting in. Your replies are appreciated
Old 27th December 2013, 19:05   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Traveling to chennai this weekend and I need to go to vadapalani.

1) is it worth taking the sriperumpudur-kodambakkam road to avoid traffic into chennai?
2) if 1 is not worth it, I was thinking of taking the mt poonamalle road from NH4 - (at saveetha dental college) - will it help?

Not a frequent traveler to chennai. So not sure about saturday traffic getting in. Your replies are appreciated
My house is at Vadapalani and i always take Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Koyambedu-Vadapalani route. I don't take Poonamalle-porur-valasaravakkam route because of bottle neck at porur junction.

But it all depends on what time you are reaching chennai city. Not sure what you meant by sriperumbudur-kadambakkam road? Can you provide gmaps link?

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 19:32   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
My house is at Vadapalani and i always take Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Koyambedu-Vadapalani route. I don't take Poonamalle-porur-valasaravakkam route because of bottle neck at porur junction.

But it all depends on what time you are reaching chennai city. Not sure what you meant by sriperumbudur-kadambakkam road? Can you provide gmaps link?

-Ravi
Thanks for the reply. This is the road I meant that goes from sriperumpudur to kodambakkam via kundrathur,chembarapakkam lake
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...a&z=16&iwloc=A

I should be reaching chennai around noon. I guess I will take the maduravayal, koyambedu route itself.
Old 28th December 2013, 22:45   #1408
BHPian

Not sure if it is right place to post to post this.

I have to transfer two gas cylinders (empty ones only) to Bangalore from Chennai. Is there anybody who is driving to Bangalore over the next week or so and can pick them up?
Old 29th December 2013, 07:28   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove Guindy -Tambram - Oragadam - Sriperumbudur yesterday and I must say that the roads are really good and hardly any traffic. Does add 10 KM when compared to the poonamalle - guindy road but the traffic and road condition makes those 10KM a breeze.

One bad stretch of 1 KM when you get off the Tambaram - Walajabad flyover and other is below the Oragadam industrial area rear flyover near the Apollo tyres/Renault factory where you need to take a U turn
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 16:01   #1410
BHPian

Howz Bangalore - Chennai highway (via Krishnagiri, vellore) now? Is there any road work going on or something? Is it in usual condition?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks