Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 12:21   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Hi,

I am planning to travel to Bangalore this Wednesday via the Old Madras Road, does anyone have any update especially due to the ongoing spell of rains & highway work??? ( especially the AP stretch )

Cheers
There is no impact of rains on this stretch, but 4-laning is happening between KR Puram and Mulbagal. This stretch could be real pain depending on what time you are hitting the road. I am also planning to do this route to chennai , looking at team-bhpians for alternatives.

Is there a way the stretch between KR Puram and Mulbagal on the NH be avoided through alternative State Highways?

Last edited by superamerica : 13th October 2009 at 12:23.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:39   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You should cross Forum mall at Koramangala (?), then some diversion to the left that almost takes you onto Sarjapur Road, but then turn right again to join Hosur Road.

Other landmarks include Silk Board flyover, Electronics City, Shell bunk in Bangalore. The pointer that you are near the TN border is your side of the road blocked by trucks waiting for the permit. You should see Ashok Leyland's factories just after entering Hosur.

Hosur is ~42 km from Bangalore and further down NH7, you will come across Sulagiri (~61 km) and then Krishnagiri (~90 km).

At Krishnagiri, follow the signs that say Chennai. There is a flyover after which you will have to turn left onto NH46. Just after you turn left, you will find a turn to the right which leads to Tiruvannamalai & Pondicherry. Ignore this and head straight onto Chennai.

NH46 takes you through Bargur (~109 km), Nattarampalli (~127 km), Vaniyambadi (~142 km), Ambur (~158 km), Pallikonda (~193 km), Vellore (~207 km), Ranipet (~240 km).

Motel Rosin between Vaniyambadi and Ambur is a good place for a break. It comes almost immediately on the left side after the Vaniyambadi toll plaza.

Just after Ranipet, NH46 joins onto NH4, after which the route is:
Walajapet (~243 km), Sriperumbudur (~312 km), Poonamallee (~331 km), Chennai (~352 km).

At the flyover after Walajapet, where you can turn left for Arakkonam, SLOW DOWN while climbing up - else the bump at the top can catch you unawares.

The 4 laning ends at Poonamallee and you will find an unfinished flyover here. My suggestion is to continue till Koyambedu junction and then ask for directions, if you are not very familiar with Madras.

Watch out for suicidal motorcyclists and moped riders coming at you in your lane!
Oh and the total toll would be around Rs. 120.
I hope this route is good now as well. and i wanted to ask you guys from where i should take diversion/other roads to reach Nolumbur, Mogappair West, Chennai. as i wanted to reach Abhinayam Phase II there

Last edited by wildon : 13th October 2009 at 16:43.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:48   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I hope this route is good now as well. and i wanted to ask you guys from where i should take diversion/other roads to reach Nolumbur, Mogappair West, Chennai.
once you cross poonamallee, Vanagaram, you will see a big bridge construction crossing the road. This is the new chennai by-pass road. Just before this, you will see signs for Redhills, Ambattur in left. Take that left.
Once you are there, its next proper right for Mugapair.

but that right will be around 3 KMs. Go all the way down and you are in your destination.

Last edited by mjothi : 13th October 2009 at 16:53.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:58   #199
BANNED

thanks for that "mjothi"
Old 16th October 2009, 10:48   #200
BHPian

Anything New to LookOut For?

Planning Bangalore (Whitefield) - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Madras on Sunday (18th) morning.

Anything new (speedbreakers, diversions, etc.) to lookout for?

Civic to hug the road, so I'd like to know more about speedbreakers.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:53   #201
BHPian

@templehof - speedbreakers? you will have enough KA registered cars on both sides of the highway. Why? Diwali shopping.
Well, the caution note is that there is a lot of traffic, and may take more time that usual to cross the Hosur stretch.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:56   #202
BHPian

Yeah, I know...but I'm leaving at 0600.

Would like to know situation between Hosur and Madras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
@templehof - speedbreakers? you will have enough KA registered cars on both sides of the highway. Why? Diwali shopping.
Well, the caution note is that there is a lot of traffic, and may take more time that usual to cross the Hosur stretch.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:02   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Yeah, I know...but I'm leaving at 0600.

Would like to know situation between Hosur and Madras.
@0600 hours? So would a thousand other cars
Old 16th October 2009, 11:07   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
@0600 hours? So would a thousand other cars
Well, I'll meet all of them at AAB

Can I look forward to any TBHP "stickered" equipment there?
Old 8th February 2010, 08:47   #205
BHPian

Planning Madras Trip

Any route updates on this route (Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Madras)?

Thanks.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:44   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Any route updates on this route (Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Madras)?

Thanks.
In sublime form....360 Kms of pure bliss
NH7 - NH46 - NH4
Old 8th February 2010, 12:42   #207
BHPian

Not exactly sublime. Watch out for very rough patches as soon as the last exit from Kanchi joins the GQ beyond vellai(white) gate, near Sriperambadur bypass, before the Hyundai factory. Either they have become worse than before or my santro needs a suspension overhaul. Never noticed this much disturbance while driving my Verna. Did a trip to vellore and back in last week of jan.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:55   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Not exactly sublime. Watch out for very rough patches as soon as the last exit from Kanchi joins the GQ beyond vellai(white) gate, near Sriperambadur bypass, before the Hyundai factory. Either they have become worse than before or my santro needs a suspension overhaul. Never noticed this much disturbance while driving my Verna. Did a trip to vellore and back in last week of jan.
I went 2 weeks backs. Never faced any issues at all. Fantastic till Poonamalai. Thats when the real fun starts. Porur road is choked to to the brim.

The only problem is that; after Kanchi, traffic is high. Lots of buses on the road. You need to be careful.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:02   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I went 2 weeks backs. Never faced any issues at all. Fantastic till Poonamalai. Thats when the real fun starts. Porur road is choked to to the brim.

The only problem is that; after Kanchi, traffic is high. Lots of buses on the road. You need to be careful.
True. I was there for Pongal. No problems either. With the Porur intersection traffic changes, I felt it was a lot smoother.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:11   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
There is a problem here, even I have felt the very irregular/rough patches when nearing Chennai, the ride is very bumpy on the stretch till vellore..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks