Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 08:33   #2896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I assume you meant the the 2 lanes on either side after Walajah. Is the surface smooth now or its the same patch-up work?
I did Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore mid-Feb. The surface is quite good after Sriperumbudur (towards Bangalore). Between Poonamallee and Sriperumbudur (and even earlier, perhaps from Maduravoyal itself) the surface is bad. I think the Oragadam road junction is the demarcating point.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 10:40   #2897
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. Agree with Binand.

Surface on Vellore - Chennai direction is good. Most places they have relaid the surface, few sections patched up. Even have reflectors and road markings done at some sections. Something which I never seen in this stretch.

Chennai - Vellore direction also is good, however some sections near Kanchipuram bye-pass has few potholes here and there. But again, compared to last year or even compared to couple of months back it has improved.

One observation is lack of sand trucks towards Chennai. Earlier, especially if you are crossing Walajpet section around 11 PM or so, you will find numerous trucks. Last weekend I noticed a handful of them only.

This was the case when I drove in Oct too, however that time it was raining and I thought may be due to rain they are unable to load sand. However, on seeing less truck this time too, I wonder if it has to do with some news of illegal sand mining which was in news elsewhere.
Old 12th March 2018, 23:41   #2898
BHPian

The posts by Suresh VS and SRVM on 01 Feb 19 and ajithin on 14 Feb 18 are very descriptive and accurate. I took that route on 8 Mar leaving home at 5AM. The only additional observations I have is the rising morning sun is right in the eyes and even with the sunshade, it is difficult till about 8 AM when the sun has traveled a bit upwards. The other is the lack of pit stops for a good cup of coffee or refreshment. Though the traffic was light, the roadworks on the two lanes roads is demanding at times. But the route is scenic, no doubt. Would have been more reassured if I were in my Yeti instead of my VW Polo (which nevertheless was was equal to the task).

Sri Perumbudur to Chennai Gemini Flyover took two hours. No serious traffic but slow moving. Roads were generally smooth and pothole-free within the city. Two wheelers flex the rules a bit and can be bothersome after a six hour drive. Total driving time was 7 hours.

I returned on 11th March, Sunday. Left the hotel at 9 AM and reached Sriperumbudur in an hour. Clear roads made for an enjoyable drive. In spite of toll booths not paying attention to fast tag enabled vehicles, I reached Hosur by 1:45 pm with a 25 mts refreshment bread. I was home in Whitefield by 3:15 using the elevated expressway and ORR. I have never done the route in such good time and in relaxed fashion. Even my car returned 18.5 kpl which was 1.5 to 2 kpl more than the best numbers I saw on the outbound.

I would take the Krishnagiri-Vellore -Sriperumbudur route the next time round. If possible avoiding the weekends on the outbound and returning to Bangalore by 3 pm to avoid the city traffic to some degree. Easier for me to do since I am retired from work.

The updates here are so informative and detailed. Almost like a live commentary. I have benefited greatly reading route review a day or two before I set out. Thank you.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2018 at 08:27. Reason: Formatted for readability
ramases6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 08:30   #2899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
I would take the Krishnagiri-Vellore -Sriperumbudur route the next time round. If possible avoiding the weekends on the outbound and returning to Bangalore by 3 pm to avoid the city traffic to some degree. Easier for me to do since I am retired from work.
I you can make it back home before 4/5 in Bangalore, there is nothing better and soothing than the 6-lane Vellore-Krishnagiri highway. The same applies to a time to exit Chennai. Usually even I take about an hour to hit Sri Perumbudur. Once past the Walajah toll its a relaxation time with the empty 6-late staring at you !

The fly in the ointment is always the toll at Krishnagiri and as mentioned earlier if you make past this point early noon, there is no cause for concern.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2018 at 10:40.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 17:58   #2900
BHPian

Drove through this route (Tambaram-Sriperumbudur-Vellore) on 19-Mar. Most of the recent posts have captured the details, but just another piece of information that can assist more - wherever the blinkers are installed, roads are mostly safe. If there are no blinkers or reflectors, need to watch out. There are still some medium sized potholes that can be tricky.

By the way, the route from Dommasandra to Chandapura could be severely clogged sometimes. I was stuck for 45 minutes on a Friday afternoon trying to navigate through a turn that runs through a small village.
Old 29th March 2018, 12:30   #2901
BHPian

I am driving to Whitefield starting around 2:00PM from Chennai. Google maps is suggesting me to take the diversion at Attibele and go via Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur.
Is it the right route to take considering I will be entering the City during evening peak hours? Or should I take ORR after Silk board?
Old 29th March 2018, 12:58   #2902
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Google maps is suggesting me to take the diversion at Attibele and go via Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur.
Is it the right route to take considering I will be entering the City during evening peak hours? Or should I take ORR after Silk board?
This will be better than Silk board-ORR route.
Another option is to turn off to NH 207 at Hosur and then reach whitefield via Hope farm, that will avoid the Varthur road as well. However, do check on status of some pipe laying work that was in progress around Channasandra near Hope Farm.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 13:13   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Would like to avoid travel if it's likely to have the long weekend crowd on the roads. Heard that most companies are working on Good Friday so it most likely would not be a long weekend. Would tomorrow have the usual long weekend traffic ?
Old 29th March 2018, 13:28   #2904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I am driving to Whitefield starting around 2:00PM from Chennai. Google maps is suggesting me to take the diversion at Attibele and go via Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur.
That Attibele diversion is a minefield or maybe a moonscape for several km with extensive dug up sections before it becomes more decent (single lane state highway standard).

Just do the Silk Board and ORR - will take rather longer thanks to your landing in Bangalore just around rush hour, but the traffic will be a bit less as you’re traveling towards Whitefield rather than away from Whitefield to the city. But your car and your spine will be in much better shape.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 15:32   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another option is to turn off to NH 207 at Hosur and then reach whitefield via Hope farm, that will avoid the Varthur road as well.
+1 to the Hosur-Bagalur-Chikka Tirupati-Hope Farm route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just do the Silk Board and ORR...
On a weekday evening at around 8 PM??
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 17:59   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
+1 to the Hosur-Bagalur-Chikka Tirupati-Hope Farm route.

On a weekday evening at around 8 PM??
Not that bad at 8 actually. And he's heading into whitefield and the evening traffic is by and large in the other direction, towards actual Bangalore.
Old 29th March 2018, 19:29   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Not that bad at 8 actually. And he's heading into whitefield and the evening traffic is by and large in the other direction, towards actual Bangalore.
The ORR is an orbital road. It doesn't go "towards" or "away from" Bangalore; it just goes around it. Therefore it has traffic both ways at all times.

As for "Whitefield is all offices" - well, I'd say each of these clusters account for a minimum 5000 residential dwelling units: Marathahalli-Kundalahalli, AECS Layout-Brookefield-Hoodi, Tubarahalli-Siddhapura-Hope Farm, Hoodi-Whitefield etc. Heck, PSN alone has 3000 apartments.
Old 29th March 2018, 22:24   #2908
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I took the standard Silkboard - ORR - Marathalli route. Right after getting down the E city flyover, traffic was on the higher side but constantly moving until I reached Marathalli. It took more than 40 minutes to navigate through Marathalli bridge and Kundanhalli gate.

Reached Whitefield around 8:30 with a short 15 minutes of bio break near Krishnagiri. Surprisingly all the tolls were less crowded and having fastag made it even faster to cross them.
Old 5th April 2018, 02:07   #2909
BHPian

Hi guys,

I need to travel to Chennai and from there to Madurai and then back to Bangalore. What with the ongoing TN bandh and cauvery protests, is it safe to take my KA registered car at this point of time ??? My travel dates are Apr 18-22.
Old 5th April 2018, 06:53   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Hi guys,

I need to travel to Chennai and from there to Madurai and then back to Bangalore. What with the ongoing TN bandh and cauvery protests, is it safe to take my KA registered car at this point of time ??? My travel dates are Apr 18-22.
Nothing scheduled then as far as I can see. Check for the situation closer to the date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks