Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 19:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakkher View Post
i have just returned completed a trip to Pune from Kolkata and back. i followed the route along NH6 till Nagpur and the road from Nagpur to Aurangabad to Ahmednagar and Pune. with two night halts at Nagpur and Sambhalpur, the journey is quite comfortable. however, the road conditions from and to Jamsola in Jharkhand are really terrible. hardly any portion of the road can qualify as one, least of all as a NH. i have sent a email to the Chairman NHAI, dont know if anything will come of it.
i need to go to Pune again in December, can anyone suggest how one can avoid the area of Jamsola in Jharkhand??
You can go from Sambalpur to Cuttack and then take the NH5-NH60-KOna Expressway route to Calcutta.

Roads in Orissa were good? And in Chattisgarh? How is 4-laning work progressing between Raipur & Nagpur?
Old 25th November 2011, 19:53   #47
BHPian

thanks. roads in Orrissa were ok, two lane but motorable. repair work is also visible at places, so one can safely assume that the road condition will be stable. road from Nagpur to Raipur is 4 lane almost all thru, only some very minor portions are 2 lane, i suppose due to lack of environmental clearance for road widening.

will try out your suggestion for cuttack to sambhalpur
Old 29th November 2011, 11:03   #48
BHPian

based on feedback, i have zeroed in on the road, Baleshwar to Sambhalpur to avoid the Jamsola area. would welcome, feedback on this route vis a vis the route from Cuttack to Sambhalpur since the latter seems to be NH.
Old 29th November 2011, 22:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Sambalpur - Anugul - Cuttack - GQ would be my choice.
But you can see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2577804

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 20:55   #50
BHPian

Yesterday I returned to Kolkata by this route (NH-6) from a place known as Deogarh (In Orissa). While going there I took NH 5 and went via Dhenkanal and Talcher. The road was nice all the way but after leaving the GQ, you have to keep an watchful eye for lots of speed-breakers.

I never had any idea of the condition of the road on my way back and it was a long time since I had taken this road (NH-6) for the last time, so I opted for this road while returning. NH-6 is nice in Orissa, except for a brief spell of 2-3 KM in Kanjipani Ghat section, which is very much managable. As usual there was little traffic after Keonjhar/Jashipur and the scenery was breathtaking.

Little did I know that the total length of this road in Jharkhand is in ruins. Just after the place where NH-5 originates (I think the place is called Jharpokharia) the road becomes totally unfit for any small personal vehicles all the way up to Chichira (WB-JK border).
Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries-452.jpg
I advice you not to use this road, unless it is not properly repaired and in case you are not driving a tractor or a Patton Tank. My car (Tata Indigo-Petrol) took many hits at the bottom, in spite of me trying my best helplessly to rescue her. The rear portion of the silencer pipe is now found ruptured and replacement of the rear shock absorbers has to be replaced by the service center (it was already weak and was squeaking a little earlier). I am sorry I could not take a picture of a ten wheeler lying at the middle of the road, overturned at one side, while trying to negotiate one of these deep craters sized potholes. I think that now I know how the roads of Berlin used to look like, after sustained heavy bombing from air by the allied forces at the end of world war II.

I suggest that for those of you who are compelled to use this road for any reason whatsoever, please turn right to take NH-5 at Jharpokharia, drive at least 20 KM to reach outskirt of Baripada town from where you may take Gopiballabhpur Road. After Gopiballabhpur this road will lead you to all the way to a place known as Feko Ghat, slightly east of Chichira. You may also consider taking Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur Road, if you dare to drive another six KM of such road to reach Jamsola (OR-JK border). Although this is a much longer route but given the condition of NH-6, you will save both time (against crawling at 4-5 KMPH in Jharkhand due to extreme bad road) and may be money (necessary for the repair of your car). Also, you may thus avoid the pile up of the trucks at both the checkposts (OR-JK) and (JK-WB).

Last edited by rahul4640 : 27th December 2011 at 20:59. Reason: Adding picture
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Yesterday I returned to Kolkata by this route (NH-6) from a place known as Deogarh (In Orissa). While going there I took NH 5 and went via Dhenkanal and Talcher. The road was nice all the way but after leaving the GQ, you have to keep an watchful eye for lots of speed-breakers.

I never had any idea of the condition of the road on my way back and it was a long time since I had taken this road (NH-6) for the last time, so I opted for this road while returning. NH-6 is nice in Orissa, except for a brief spell of 2-3 KM in Kanjipani Ghat section, which is very much managable. As usual there was little traffic after Keonjhar/Jashipur and the scenery was breathtaking.

Little did I know that the total length of this road in Jharkhand is in ruins. Just after the place where NH-5 originates (I think the place is called Jharpokharia) the road becomes totally unfit for any small personal vehicles all the way up to Chichira (WB-JK border).
Attachment 861114
I advice you not to use this road, unless it is not properly repaired and in case you are not driving a tractor or a Patton Tank. My car (Tata Indigo-Petrol) took many hits at the bottom, in spite of me trying my best helplessly to rescue her. The rear portion of the silencer pipe is now found ruptured and replacement of the rear shock absorbers has to be replaced by the service center (it was already weak and was squeaking a little earlier). I am sorry I could not take a picture of a ten wheeler lying at the middle of the road, overturned at one side, while trying to negotiate one of these deep craters sized potholes. I think that now I know how the roads of Berlin used to look like, after sustained heavy bombing from air by the allied forces at the end of world war II.

I suggest that for those of you who are compelled to use this road for any reason whatsoever, please turn right to take NH-5 at Jharpokharia, drive at least 20 KM to reach outskirt of Baripada town from where you may take Gopiballabhpur Road. After Gopiballabhpur this road will lead you to all the way to a place known as Feko Ghat, slightly east of Chichira. You may also consider taking Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur Road, if you dare to drive another six KM of such road to reach Jamsola (OR-JK border). Although this is a much longer route but given the condition of NH-6, you will save both time (against crawling at 4-5 KMPH in Jharkhand due to extreme bad road) and may be money (necessary for the repair of your car). Also, you may thus avoid the pile up of the trucks at both the checkposts (OR-JK) and (JK-WB).
Sorry to hear about the damages to your car. Somehow I see a pattern that all national highways in non-Congress ruled states get very shoddy treatment unless its a very important state like Gujarat or Maharashtra, thought it could be just be me spinning conspiracy theories . HVK sir also pointed out the same for MP where the NH are in shambles while the state highways are in good condition.

Would you please elaborate your onward drive to Deogarh using NH5 like which other roads you took to reach Deogarh which is actually on NH6? Did you also take NH200?

If one wanted to reach Raipur, Chattisgarh from Kolkata in a day, what would be the best route in your view if at all it is possible.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Gujarat or Maharashtra
Oops I meant Gujarat or Karnataka. Though even for Karnataka I have heard not all NH are in good shape.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Would you please elaborate your onward drive to Deogarh using NH5 like which other roads you took to reach Deogarh which is actually on NH6? Did you also take NH200?

If one wanted to reach Raipur, Chattisgarh from Kolkata in a day, what would be the best route in your view if at all it is possible.
Although I stayed at Talcher and NH 23 (via a place called Pal Lahara) was the more suitable road to go to Deogarh, where I went to see Pradhanpot waterfalls, I took NH 200 instead, as I also visited Rengali dam and reservoir on my way. And NH 200 was more or less satisfactory, with broken stretches in one or two places but nothing much to complain about.
A view of me and my daughter at Pradhanpot waterfalls, at Deogarh.
Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries-361.jpg
I do not think you may reach Raipur in a day by this road, if you do not drive too aggressively. This is an undivided road and night time driving is also not very popular here. And you have to add on at least another 40 KM to bypass the notorious roads of Jharkhand. I guess that if you start early in the morning (say 6 O'clock), with a careful and comfortable drive you may reach Sambalpur at dusk, with adequate stops.

But I am sure that if you will enjoy the scenic beauties of this road. Please remember also to visit "San Ghagra" waterfalls, which is right on this road, just few KMs west of Keonjhar town. It also has a rose garden and boating facilities, which will be enjoyed by the younger members of your group, if you have any.
Regards,
Rahul
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 18:46   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Although I stayed at Talcher and NH 23 (via a place called Pal Lahara) was the more suitable road to go to Deogarh, where I went to see Pradhanpot waterfalls, I took NH 200 instead, as I also visited Rengali dam and reservoir on my way. And NH 200 was more or less satisfactory, with broken stretches in one or two places but nothing much to complain about.

I do not think you may reach Raipur in a day by this road, if you do not drive too aggressively. This is an undivided road and night time driving is also not very popular here. And you have to add on at least another 40 KM to bypass the notorious roads of Jharkhand. I guess that if you start early in the morning (say 6 O'clock), with a careful and comfortable drive you may reach Sambalpur at dusk, with adequate stops.
Dang. I was hoping to find a route which can take me to Raipur in a day with little risk of damage to my car. An early morning start with minimal time for breaks is fine with me. Since I would need to go beyond Raipur, dont want to spend more than 2 days on the road.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I stayed at Talcher and NH 23 (via a place called Pal Lahara) was the more suitable road to go to Deogarh,

But I am sure that if you will enjoy the scenic beauties of this road. Please remember also to visit "San Ghagra" waterfalls, which is right on this road, just few KMs west of Keonjhar town. It also has a rose garden and boating facilities, which will be enjoyed by the younger members of your group, if you have any.
Regards,
Rahul
Hi,
Talcher to Pal Lahara used to be a very scenic but very narrow road. With no infrastructure (read no pumps). Has that changed?

During summers water in Samal would dry up, and you could drive across what otherwise was a lake! Regularly used shortcut from Kaniha to the main road.

From Pal Lahara to Keonjhar there was a delightful 20Km stretch of ghat roads. No traffic, flowing curves. How is it now?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th January 2012, 23:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Talcher to Pal Lahara used to be a very scenic but very narrow road. With no infrastructure (read no pumps). Has that changed?

From Pal Lahara to Keonjhar there was a delightful 20Km stretch of ghat roads. No traffic, flowing curves. How is it now?
Respected Sutriptada,
I am afraid that not much has changed. The only one petrol pump there is located at Godibandha, where you take the road at your left to reach Kaniha, while going from Talcher town. Even a roadside tea stall is a rarity. But the road is certainly being widened at a subsequent time, as it is wide enough at all places.

And talking of ghat section, you certainly remember now that the place is called Kanjipani ghat. Nice roads, except only in two or three KMs, where roadwork is going on at present with the help of heavy machinery. But the road was not much empty. On the contrary, I saw quite a large number of loaded trucks on that section, huffing and puffing to negotiate those gradients.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:34   #57
BHPian

just completed a drive from durgapur to pune via Balasore, Bargarh(near Sambalpur), Pulgaon and Pune. had a night halt at the places mentioned. a comfortable and enjoyable drive. roads in Oddisha were very nice. At Bargarh found a hotel where they permitted us to stay with our dog, Ganapati Hotel. would recommend this route to those who are taking a drive instead of going thru NH6 right from Kolkata

happy driving
deepakkher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 21:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:
just completed a drive from durgapur to pune via Balasore, Bargarh(near Sambalpur), Pulgaon and Pune. had a night halt at the places mentioned. a comfortable and enjoyable drive. roads in Oddisha were very nice. At Bargarh found a hotel where they permitted us to stay with our dog, Ganapati Hotel. would recommend this route to those who are taking a drive instead of going thru NH6 right from Kolkata

happy driving
Since you got to Sambalpur, did you follow NH6 all your way through after that? How was the road between Sambalpur through Bhillai, Raipur onto Nagpur?

Would be great if you can provide some more details of the route you took through Balasore and then Sambalpur and the road conditions there.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 17th January 2012 at 21:20. Reason: added request
Old 17th January 2012, 22:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

happy driving
Thanks for the update.
Can you give us details of the hotels (and tariffs) you stayed in?
Where did your pet stay in the places other than Bargarh?
What were drive timings like each day?
Old 18th January 2012, 12:37   #60
BHPian

this is for you hvkumar and samarjitdhar

from balasore, i went to Cuttack and onwards to Sambalpur. the road is good. since the dog was not acceptable to hotels in Sambalpur, drove on and found Ganapati Hotel at Bargarh about 40 kms on the NH6. tarrif was around 1100 for delux(ac) room. rooms with lesser tarrif were not available that day. at other places stayed in Army messes hence no details were mentioned. i am a retd armyman. normally started at 6 am and but for bargarh to pulgaon, the drive was completed by about 4 pm. i landed up in pulgaon at about 7 pm

Most Viewed