Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 00:49   #166
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Pune Bhilai can easily be done in 15hrs,it is all dependant on how early you can exit Pune.
15 hours of drive time will need average speed of 66 for Pune Bhilai stretch. Is it doable on this road ? Will the road condition, traffic makes Bhilai/Raipur to Kol via Sambalpur, Kharagpur (1000Km) feasible ? What would be the time behind the wheels ?
Old 25th July 2014, 10:29   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subirdas View Post
15 hours of drive time will need average speed of 66 for Pune Bhilai stretch. Is it doable on this road ? Will the road condition, traffic makes Bhilai/Raipur to Kol via Sambalpur, Kharagpur (1000Km) feasible ? What would be the time behind the wheels ?

Check this thread for Bhilai Pune details and road conditions.People have been doing it over 15-17hrs drive times.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-2.html

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 12:52   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Must say that I'm overwhelmed with all the help and support from you all. A detailed log post my return is due on me.

Thanks Sommos. I was trying to look-up in google earth, but couldn't locate this properly. Is there any more details by which I can easily take this detour, i.e. name of village, how far from the last landmark, etc do I take the right. Apologies, as you may have already shared these details earlier.

This was my initial plan or rather aspiration. However, as am travelling with family, thought of breaking the journey in 3 days.

In that case I would request you to hit the "Thanks" button and acknowledge the same.

Sorry Subir, I do not know the name of the village, nor can I point to any landmark on the road nearby. The road is on the right side of the NH about 1.2KM ahead of the check post and is clearly visible. The following picture clearly shows the road in google map :

Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries-cgor-border-1.png

I am planning to travel from Bhilai to Pune on 28/09 on this route with my family.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 00:28   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
In that case I would request you to hit the "Thanks" button and acknowledge the same.
Just did that - getting used to the etiquettes/nuances in T-BHP.

Quote:
Sorry Subir, I do not know the name of the village, nor can I point to any landmark on the road nearby. The road is on the right side of the NH about 1.2KM ahead of the check post and is clearly visible. The following picture clearly shows the road in google map :
Thanks mate - will watch out for this detour before the MH-CG border.

Quote:
I am planning to travel from Bhilai to Pune on 28/09 on this route with my family.
I'll keenly look forward to your updates please, as I'd set off within a couple of weeks of you doing this stretch. Should you need anything in Pune, don't hesitate to give me a buzz - will PM you my number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Check this thread for Bhilai Pune details and road conditions.People have been doing it over 15-17hrs drive times.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-2.html
So, a 3 AM start could take me to Bhilai/Raipur by 7/8 PM. Another early morning start and approx 17 hours of drive will be required to reach Kol the same day. Thinking of keeping the plan fluid and in case reach Nagpur early, can stretch till Bhiali/Raipur. The next day could be paced on the progress made on day one.
Old 26th July 2014, 10:15   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate - will watch out for this detour before the MH-CG border.

I'll keenly look forward to your updates please, as I'd set off within a couple of weeks of you doing this stretch. Should you need anything in Pune, don't hesitate to give me a buzz - will PM you my number.

So, a 3 AM start could take me to Bhilai/Raipur by 7/8 PM. Another early morning start and approx 17 hours of drive will be required to reach Kol the same day. Thinking of keeping the plan fluid and in case reach Nagpur early, can stretch till Bhiali/Raipur. The next day could be paced on the progress made on day one.
We were discussing the CG-OR border and not the MH-CG border, there is no problem in the MH-CG border.

Thanks, will definitely call you if required. You won't have the facility to PM till your status is "Newbie".

Bhilai to Kolkata takes around 15 hours driving comfortably: I break the journey as 5 hours for crossing Sambalpur, 4 hours to cross NH42 i.e. reach NH5 at Chaudwar and another 6 hours to reach Kolkata. Even if you reach somewhere near Kolaghat by 9 or 10PM you can have your dinner there rest for an hour or so and then proceed to Kolkata. If you're comfortable then driving at night on these roads is not an issue at all. You'll find plenty of buses plying from Bhubaneshwar/Cuttack to Kolkata throughout the night.
Old 26th July 2014, 15:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
We were discussing the CG-OR border and not the MH-CG border, there is no problem in the MH-CG border.
Apologies - my bad on the typo.

Quote:
Thanks, will definitely call you if required. You won't have the facility to PM till your status is "Newbie".
Realised that later am yet to earn it after I spent a while trying to figure out how to PM, until hit the FAQ sections. You can PM me your number, if that's Ok and I'll revert to you.

Quote:
Bhilai to Kolkata takes around 15 hours driving comfortably: I break the journey as 5 hours for crossing Sambalpur, 4 hours to cross NH42 i.e. reach NH5 at Chaudwar and another 6 hours to reach Kolkata. Even if you reach somewhere near Kolaghat by 9 or 10PM you can have your dinner there rest for an hour or so and then proceed to Kolkata. If you're comfortable then driving at night on these roads is not an issue at all. You'll find plenty of buses plying from Bhubaneshwar/Cuttack to Kolkata throughout the night.
Thanks for the break-up. Sounds encouraging - am seriously giving it a thought now.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:36   #172
BHPian

Recommendation for any decent accommodations near NH6 in Bhilai/Raipur will be much appreciated - nothing fancy, but clean bed for three (kid is less than 5 years), hot water in the bathroom and parking for a humble hatchback. Don't intend to book a room in advance - will that be an issue in mid-late October ?
Old 31st July 2014, 12:44   #173
BHPian

Have learned of the following four hotels in Raipur not far from NH6.
1) Queens Club
2) Florence
3) Hotel Octopus
4) Hotel Sibbal Palace

Further insight on any of these hotels from a fellow BHP-ian would be appreciated. Would anyone have any details for hotels in Bhilai please ?
Old 31st July 2014, 13:13   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have learned of the following four hotels in Raipur not far from NH6.
1) Queens Club
2) Florence
3) Hotel Octopus
4) Hotel Sibbal Palace

Further insight on any of these hotels from a fellow BHP-ian would be appreciated. Would anyone have any details for hotels in Bhilai please ?
Hotel Sapphire Inn on the NH6 bypass (Raipur Ring Road) is a good choice
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 00:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Hotel Sapphire Inn on the NH6 bypass (Raipur Ring Road) is a good choice
Many thanks HVKumar.

Please find the attached route plan ( compiled with many inputs from this forum and google maps ). I would truly welcome suggestions/advices from experts here around how feasible this looks like, bearing in mind a) this will be my first really long drive (literally newbie, but am determined to make it and first of the many to follow ) and b) I'll have my four year old kid accompanying me.

A 3 AM start would be required to hit Raipur on day one with minimal breaks. Hitting the road at 6 the following morning would let us reach Kol by midnight ( with a couple of hours of buffer ).

Any other tips please for the car apart from a visit to the service centre one week back ?
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries-image.png  

Old 1st August 2014, 14:35   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recommendation for any decent accommodations near NH6 in Bhilai/Raipur will be much appreciated - nothing fancy, but clean bed for three (kid is less than 5 years), hot water in the bathroom and parking for a humble hatchback. Don't intend to book a room in advance - will that be an issue in mid-late October ?
I have already mentioned some hotels at Bhilai right on the NH. Here they are :
a. Grand Dhillon, Nehru Nagar crossing.
b. Hotel Vatsa & Central Park, Supela Bhilai, near Bhilai Municipality office (same management).
c. Hotel Himalaya Park, Supela crossing.
d. Hotel Aashish, Power House, Bhilai.
e. Hotel Amit International, Supela, Bhilai (just ahead of Vatsa).

I would suggest you break at Bhilai, reason being the Bhilai-Raipur section has huge traffic and it would be really irritating after the whole day's journey. If you start at six the next morning the road will be clean as the traffic built-up starts from 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning.

Subir, I cannot PM you and you've disabled your email, so no way to reach you.

Last edited by Sommos : 1st August 2014 at 14:44.
Old 1st August 2014, 17:54   #177
Senior - BHPian

A few pointers for the route :

a. You don't need to enter Nagpur city, there is a beautiful ORR use that and avoid the city.
b. Sambalpur also has a so called by-pass that connects to NH 42. All towns on the NH 42 has by-pass to avoid the city traffic except Angul, so be careful.
c. NH 5 joins NH 6 ahead of Kharagpur and you need not enter Kharagpur.

I'm sorry if you already knew these.
Old 1st August 2014, 21:14   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NH60 I would think.
What is the status of NH60 right now?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:24   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
NH60 I would think.
What is the status of NH60 right now?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutriptada thanks, it is NH60 for sure.
Sorry for the mistake.
Old 3rd August 2014, 02:06   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I have already mentioned some hotels at Bhilai right on the NH. Here they are :
a. Grand Dhillon, Nehru Nagar crossing.
b. Hotel Vatsa & Central Park, Supela Bhilai, near Bhilai Municipality office (same management).
c. Hotel Himalaya Park, Supela crossing.
d. Hotel Aashish, Power House, Bhilai.
e. Hotel Amit International, Supela, Bhilai (just ahead of Vatsa).

I would suggest you break at Bhilai, reason being the Bhilai-Raipur section has huge traffic and it would be really irritating after the whole day's journey. If you start at six the next morning the road will be clean as the traffic built-up starts from 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning.
Thanks Sommos and this is where no maps would help.
Quote:
Subir, I cannot PM you and you've disabled your email, so no way to reach you.
Apologies, but you should be able to send email to me now.

Quote:
A few pointers for the route :

a. You don't need to enter Nagpur city, there is a beautiful ORR use that and avoid the city.
b. Sambalpur also has a so called by-pass that connects to NH 42. All towns on the NH 42 has by-pass to avoid the city traffic except Angul, so be careful.

I'm sorry if you already knew these.
Every little helps - please keep them coming. Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks