Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 22:54   #76
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I suggest that you may seek accommodation at the West Bengal Tourism Development Corporation's hotel in Bishnupur. It is the closest one from the temples and has ample car parking facilities inside the boundary. And last time when I took the Durgapur Bankura road about four months ago, although I only went up to Bankura, the road was slightly broken but manageable.
Rahul da, have you stayed in the WBTDC property? How is it? Also how is the road from Bankura to Bishnupur? I drove Durgapur to Bankura in January and its an absolute pleasure after you have crossed Durgapur Barrage. I hope they can maintain it that way. Sorry I know this is and hijacking of this thread, what can one do in Bishnupur besides temples and saris?
Old 17th April 2012, 00:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Rahul da, have you stayed in the WBTDC property? How is it? Also how is the road from Bankura to Bishnupur? what can one do in Bishnupur besides temples and saris?
Yes Samarjit. I have stayed there at least twice. During off season they will even confirm and reserve an accommodation for you, if you just call them up. The best thing about this place is that the place is spacious. Rooms are large. I suggest that if possible, you ask them for the AC rooms in the front left side corridor of the main building, in which the reception and restaurant is located. The rooms are huge. Even the bathrooms in those rooms were large. Unfortunately I went there was two years ago and I can not say much about the present condition of the roads.
Hope you will excuse me for saying that Bishnupur is much more than temple and saris. It reflects the history of medieval Bengal. You are welcome to visit the nearby Gangani, the Grand Canyon of Bengal. You may also visit nearby Mukutmanipur, the Achraya Jogesh Chandra Purakriti Bhawana (Museum) and the Joypur forest, where a large and beautiful resort has come up lately. While returning please take the Kotulpur route (the other road is very very bad) and also pay a visit to Joyrambati and Kamarpukur.
rahul4640 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 17:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
the Joypur forest, where a large and beautiful resort has come up lately.
Thanks Rahul da. Any idea of the name of this resort, links?

Quote:
While returning please take the Kotulpur route (the other road is very very bad) and also pay a visit to Joyrambati and Kamarpukur.
Got a little bit confused. I was originally thinking of NH2(Durgapur)-SH9(Durgapur-Bankura)-NH60(Bankura-Bishnupur) to Bishnupur which would also be the return route. Should one not take that? Are you talking of SH2 through Tarakeshwar/Arambagh when one travels to Bishnupur from Kolkata? How is the road condition of SH2?

PS: Sorry to satrab for totally hijacking his thread.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 17th April 2012 at 17:56.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:12   #79
BHPian

Thanks hvksaab. I guess on the way to Calcutta the road is via Ahmedabad. Stressing a bit about the Golden Bridge, but guess it should be ok.

Next I need to plan my route from Calcutta. For which my original option was through of Orissa and Chattisgarh. However in light of the suggestions, rules itself out as an option.

The second option for the return trip (and this is encouranged by samarjitdhar's posts), is via Bandhavgarh or Kanha.

The third option is of course to return the way I go to Calcutta and stop a couple of nights at Udaipur.

Separately thanks @samarjitdhar and rahul-da for the ideas re Bishnupur. So actually its been very helpful for me. Gave me a lot of ideas. Also read some posts on indiamike. Figured that you can get dasha-avatar cards in Bishnupur. These are similar to the ganjifa cards of Orissa and equally scarce.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul da. Any idea of the name of this resort, links?

Got a little bit confused. I was originally thinking of NH2(Durgapur)-SH9(Durgapur-Bankura)-NH60(Bankura-Bishnupur) to Bishnupur which would also be the return route. Should one not take that? Are you talking of SH2 through Tarakeshwar/Arambagh when one travels to Bishnupur from Kolkata? How is the road condition of SH2?
Sorry the person who told me about that resort is presently out of Calcutta and is expected to be back within a couple of days. I shall ask him for more details and let you know.

I am asking you to take this route while coming back. I am sure that the road between Bishnupur and Arambag is in good shape, as one of my neighbours have used this road about a fortnight ago.
Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries-untitled.jpg
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 20:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry the person who told me about that resort is presently out of Calcutta and is expected to be back within a couple of days. I shall ask him for more details and let you know.
No problem will wait for this information .

Quote:
I am asking you to take this route while coming back.
Ummm. I didn't fully get that. Why only while coming back? Why not go to Bishnupur the same route? Are there any specific challenges while using this route to reach Bishnupur?
Old 17th April 2012, 20:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Since you are coming down NH2, it makes sense to do Durgapur - Bankura - Bishnupur. And come back via Arambagh. You also avoid Panagar!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 20:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
No problem will wait for this information .
Ummm. I didn't fully get that. Why only while coming back? Why not go to Bishnupur the same route? Are there any specific challenges while using this route to reach Bishnupur?
Absolutely not! You may take this route for your onward journey as well! I suggest that you may take the Dankuni-Shiakhola-Champadanga-Arambagh-Bengai-Kotulpur-Bishnupur Road. Please avoid Joyrambati and Kamarpukur, as per informations I have the road is not satisfactory. But till Arambagh the road passes through densely populated areas, so your progress may be slow.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:21   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not! You may take this route for your onward journey as well! I suggest that you may take the Dankuni-Shiakhola-Champadanga-Arambagh-Bengai-Kotulpur-Bishnupur Road. Please avoid Joyrambati and Kamarpukur, as per informations I have the road is not satisfactory. But till Arambagh the road passes through densely populated areas, so your progress may be slow.
I know I am stretching this too far using this thread to explore all the roads towards Bishnupur but since its not entire may I ask how is SH2 taking it just after Singur from NH2 and then going via Tarakeshwar. Would this route be in a good condition (and wider maybe) since this is a state highway? Someone had told me that the road to Tarakeshwar was broken.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Since you are coming down NH2, it makes sense to do Durgapur - Bankura - Bishnupur. And come back via Arambagh. You also avoid Panagar!

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks @sutripta. After Bishnupur, in Kolkata I need to reach Birati that is near the airport. Therefore should I use the Panagarh route or would the Arambagh route be better?
Old 18th April 2012, 12:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Thanks @sutripta. After Bishnupur, in Kolkata I need to reach Birati that is near the airport. Therefore should I use the Panagarh route or would the Arambagh route be better?
Might be a better idea to use the Arambagh route as discussed on your thread in so much detail courtesy me . That way you can avoid going all the way round and then getting stuck at Panagarh. Since you are coming to Birati once you get on NH2 at Dankuni or Singur (if you follow SH2 through Tarakeshwar) it will be smooth sailing through the Belgharia expressway after Dankuni. There will be local traffic on this route I think but should be manageable. When do you propose to undertake your journey by the way?
Old 18th April 2012, 14:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
When do you propose to undertake your journey by the way?
Thanks samajitdhar. Plan to start from Mumbai on May 8. Therefore should get to Bishnupur on May 11 I guess. Plan to stay in Varanasi for 2 nights.
Old 18th April 2012, 20:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Arambagh. Use Tarakeswar - Singur route in preference to Champadanga - Seakhala.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 22:26   #89
BHPian

Dad needs to visit Kharagpur, and he intends to stretch it to Bishnupur and return on the following day through the Arambag route.
Now, is it advisable to take the Kharagpur-Bishnupur NH60?
Old 19th April 2012, 06:23   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Dad needs to visit Kharagpur, and he intends to stretch it to Bishnupur and return on the following day through the Arambag route.
Now, is it advisable to take the Kharagpur-Bishnupur NH60?
According to Sutripta da and others NH60 north of Kharagpur going to Bishnupur is in shambles.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks