Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 12:14   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by subirdas View Post
Every little helps - please keep them coming. Thanks again.
You may refer to the following threads for some details of this route from Bhilai to Choudwar mainly :

Bhilai-Puri via Sambalpur & NH42

http://Ownersip report of my Linea (...ost 26 and 36)

Hope they give you some confidence.

Send you an email.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 15:59   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
You may refer to the following threads for some details of this route from Bhilai to Choudwar mainly :

Bhilai-Puri via Sambalpur & NH42

Ownersip report of my Linea (look at post 26 and 36)

Hope they give you some confidence.

Send you an email.
Many thanks Sommos. Let me go through the links and will revert for any clarification that I may require. Please feel free to contact me for anything that you may need in/around Pune.
Old 18th November 2014, 00:02   #183
BHPian

Not sure when I'll get time to pen down a travelogue, but the least I can offer is heartfelt gratitude to Sommos, ranjip1 and sutripta for their invaluable advice and tips, riding on which I completed the Pune - Kolkata - Pune round trip of 4000 Km, each leg lasting 3 days. Many thanks folks for your time and inputs - its much appreciated and also to Team-BHP for offering this platform.

It was a phenomenal experience not only for me, but also equally for my better half and the little one ( who had an absolute ball, gladly contrary to our earlier apprehensions ).

Followed the route of Pune - Nagpur - Raipur - Sambalpur - Chaudwar - Kharagpur - Kolkata.

Anybody doing this route anytime soon, please shout up any query you may have - will be more than happy to help.
subirdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 22:03   #184
BHPian

Hi,
A friend of mine wants to take his Nano from Berhampur(Odisha) to Nashik. Please suggest the best route and road conditions.

Thank you
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:20   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Followed the route of Pune - Nagpur - Raipur - Sambalpur - Chaudwar - Kharagpur - Kolkata.

Anybody doing this route anytime soon, please shout up any query you may have - will be more than happy to help.
Dear Mr Das

Much appreciated. I request your valued advice on the following sectors

Raipur - Sambalpur
Did you take the regular NH6 or went via Nuapada/Padampur? I was told that the NH6 between Arang (CG) and the OR/CG border is in complete shambles due to 4 laning work. Even Google map is suggesting the detour via Nuapada.

Nagpur - Pune
Could you kindly give the current update on this route?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:07   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
Raipur - Sambalpur
Did you take the regular NH6 or went via Nuapada/Padampur? I was told that the NH6 between Arang (CG) and the OR/CG border is in complete shambles due to 4 laning work. Even Google map is suggesting the detour via Nuapada.
You were very well advised that the NH6 stretch between Arang and OR/CG border are in absolute shambles, in fact this is an understatement ; however, the road in Orissa is newly laid in excellent condition until Sambalpur. 140 odd Kms here took me more than 5 hours to get through with generous amount of breaks in between. I love my car ( hatch ) and was as cereful as I possibly could to save it from any underbody hits ( don't claim to have been entirely successful though ) with speeds between 20/30 at most places, but have seen some SUVs hurling past me in 80s as well. Am not sure of the road condition via Nuapada, but having been through NH6, can't imagine it could be any worse.

Quote:
Nagpur - Pune
Could you kindly give the current update on this route?

Thanks in advance.
I did Nagpur to Pune via Nagpur-Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-Bibi-Sindkhedraja-Jalna-Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Pune.
Nagpur-Amravati stretch of circa 160 Kms is excellent 4 lane roads - Personally I found this even better than the Mumbai-Pune expressway - took me a little more than 2 hours with a fuel and bio break. You will experience good tarmac from Aurangabad to Pune ( 250 Kms ), albeit the traffic is not very sparce during the day. On my return leg, I did this at night and surprisingly still found decent traffic. The remaining 300 Kms are through two lane state highways with a mixed bag of ok and bad patches, but nothing great to look forward to. Whilst approaching Jalna, you'll have to endure at least 5-10Kms, which hardly resembles roads, but was told that this is still a better option than the usual NH6.

If I can be of any other help, please let me know. What is your entire route plan and when do you hit the road ?
subirdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 13:23   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a phenomenal experience not only for me, but also equally for my better half and the little one ( who had an absolute ball, gladly contrary to our earlier apprehensions ).

It was great to learn that you have completed your journey safely and enjoyed it too. I'm really glad that you took my word and travelled through the Central India instead of taking the GQ.

Hope more and more people take up this route in the future and please take some time to pen down your experience in a seperate thread, that would provide guidance to members and others outside the forum.

Quote:
You were very well advised that the NH6 stretch between Arang and OR/CG border are in absolute shambles, in fact this is an understatement ; however, the road in Orissa is newly laid in excellent condition until Sambalpur. 140 odd Kms here took me more than 5 hours to get through with generous amount of breaks in between. I love my car ( hatch ) and was as cereful as I possibly could to save it from any underbody hits ( don't claim to have been entirely successful though ) with speeds between 20/30 at most places, but have seen some SUVs hurling past me in 80s as well. Am not sure of the road condition via Nuapada, but having been through NH6, can't imagine it could be any worse.

I did Nagpur to Pune via Nagpur-Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-Bibi-Sindkhedraja-Jalna-Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Pune.
Nagpur-Amravati stretch of circa 160 Kms is excellent 4 lane roads - Personally I found this even better than the Mumbai-Pune expressway - took me a little more than 2 hours with a fuel and bio break. You will experience good tarmac from Aurangabad to Pune ( 250 Kms ), albeit the traffic is not very sparce during the day. On my return leg, I did this at night and surprisingly still found decent traffic. The remaining 300 Kms are through two lane state highways with a mixed bag of ok and bad patches, but nothing great to look forward to. Whilst approaching Jalna, you'll have to endure at least 5-10Kms, which hardly resembles roads, but was told that this is still a better option than the usual NH6.

If I can be of any other help, please let me know. What is your entire route plan and when do you hit the road ?
Thanks for the recent update on the NH6.
Old 24th November 2014, 19:06   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure of the road condition via Nuapada, but having been through NH6, can't imagine it could be any worse.
Thanks for this update. I am planning to drive through this stretch in december. Sommos and also hvk sir have suggested earlier about Arang to CG/OD border being in bad shape. But, I was told mostly lot of diversions and rough roads. But, your update really makes me think if I need to consider Nuapada detour.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:23   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure of the road condition via Nuapada, but having been through NH6, can't imagine it could be any worse.
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. It is valuable and corroborates the information I have gathered on this route. Can give you give a feedback on the condition of the bypass roads for Jalna and Mehkar
Quote:
Thanks for your generous offer of help. We a have a sort of straightforward set of Plans:

PLAN A
  • DAY 1 (20th Dec, Sat): Depart Jamshedpur (JH) around 4pm. Drive till Sambalpur (OR) and spend the night at an acquaintance place.
  • DAY 2 (21st Dec, Sun): Depart Sambalpur early. Try to reach Amravati (MH) by nightfall.
  • DAY 3 (22nd Dec, Mon): Depart Amravati for Pune with a small temple detour midway.
PLAN B
  • DAY 1 (21st Dec, Sun): Depart Jamshedpur around 5am and try to make it to Nagpur for night halt. This is the target but we may settle for Raipur (CG) or Bhilai if the going gets tough.
  • DAY 2 (22nd Dec, Mon): Drive to Pune from Nagpur/Bhilai/Raipur at one go.
I know PLAN B resembles a cannonball run but may need to be undertaken due to scheduling constrains. Here is my route map from JSR to Pune.

http://goo.gl/maps/ucEuu

Kindly zoom in to see if I am getting the bypass at Mehkar and Jalna right.

After spending a couple of days at Pune we shall be proceeding to a yet undecided western India beach destination for the Xmas weekend. Then onwards to down south and return to Jamshedpur via HYD and the eastern sea board of India. We need to be back home by 4th Jan so that’s quite a drive we are looking at.

Last edited by drive_factor : 25th November 2014 at 22:32. Reason: spell
Old 26th November 2014, 15:55   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Thanks for this update. I am planning to drive through this stretch in december. Sommos and also hvk sir have suggested earlier about Arang to CG/OD border being in bad shape. But, I was told mostly lot of diversions and rough roads. But, your update really makes me think if I need to consider Nuapada detour.
The portion from Arang to the CG border is being converted to four-lane and all the disruption is because of that.

Quote:
Can give you give a feedback on the condition of the bypass roads for Jalna and Mehkar.
The Jalna and Mehkar bypass are fine and should not be a problem.

Sambalpur to Amravati should be around 11 hours under normal condition.
Amravati to Pune should be another 11 hours driving leisurely.

It took me 17 hours from Bhilai to Pune during October this year.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:50   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
It took me 17 hours from Bhilai to Pune during October this year.
Thank you.
As a backup, is their any recommended place for a night halt between Durg and Nagpur? Just a clean establishment on the NH with a safe parking should suffice.
Old 27th November 2014, 14:02   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.
As a backup, is their any recommended place for a night halt between Durg and Nagpur? Just a clean establishment on the NH with a safe parking should suffice.
I have no idea about this.
Personally I never felt it necessary to break between Nagpur & Bhilai/Durg. Neither have I ever heard any of my friends doing so. If you have doubts I would like to make it clear that it is absolutely safe to drive between Nagpur and Bhilai even at midnight and with your family; so you need not actually take a night halt in between.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:55   #193
BHPian

Just did Bhubaneswar - Sambalpur - Raipur- Nagpur - Amravati - Khandwa - Indore.

Thanks to suggestions from hvk sir, sommos, ashis89 and bhpians, drive went smooth. As told, saraipali to arang took some work as the road condition is bad. However, speeds of 40-50 are manageable with a few potholes here and there. I guess there is no need to take the nuapada route.

Amravati to Indore was an altogether different experience with quite good ghat section consisting of melghat tiger reserve till dharni. Then, a drive through thick forests, very nice. But, entering Indore was a pain. Last 60 kms or so took 2 hours. I thought entering Howrah was worse, which I did last week from Bhubaneswar. That was a breeze compared to entering Indore. Roads in this section were average to very good, but, two lane all through out.

Oh, forgot to add: The entire route is safe. I traveled with wify and 10 month old son.

Last edited by stringbh : 18th December 2014 at 18:02. Reason: info about safety
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 22:00   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
...As told, saraipali to arang took some work as the road condition is bad. However, speeds of 40-50 are manageable with a few potholes here and there. I guess there is no need to take the nuapada route.
This creates a huge dilemma as I was all set to take this detour on 21st Dec. en-route Pune from Jamshedpur

How long did you take to traverse the Saraipali to Arang section? Speeds of 40 ~ 50 Km/h as you mentioned hints at not a happy road condition.

Thanks for the valuable update. In any case driving such distances with a toddler is an achievement

Last edited by drive_factor : 18th December 2014 at 22:02.
Old 19th December 2014, 17:42   #195
BHPian

Quote:
This creates a huge dilemma as I was all set to take this detour on 21st Dec. en-route Pune from Jamshedpur

How long did you take to traverse the Saraipali to Arang section? Speeds of 40 ~ 50 Km/h as you mentioned hints at not a happy road condition.
I was in a dilemma too, but, took the NH keeping safety in mind. Also, I could not get any updates about the Nuapada route.

No doubt, road condition is bad, but, there is traffic. Saraipali to Arang took approximately 4 hours.

In any case, if you decide to do the Nuapada route, please do update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks