Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 22:19   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
If you are with family/ladies/elderly people, plan for restroom break at Nijaguna at chamrajnagar, because after MTR, there is not much decent place to stops.

-Ravi

He is planning for Kollegal – Germalam route, so Chamrajnagar is out of the way.
Old 24th September 2018, 22:27   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
He is planning for Kollegal – Germalam route, so Chamrajnagar is out of the way.
Yes arun, I noticed it and aware. But was cautioning about lack of decent place, in case if he is traveling with family/ladies/elders who need a break point, in addition to what ampere mentioned.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 23:02   #993
Senior - BHPian

Raghu -go for it. Lovely scenes and peaceful to drive once you cross kanakpura. If you miss MTR , you'll find Kaballamma Ruchi Sagar after Kaggalipura. Should be about 3-5 km from MTR. Their Thattai Idly is fab. It'll come on your left. I'll also recommend Rama Vilas at Sathy for lunch. It's opposite Sathy police station. Pure veg though.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 00:42   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The A2B attached to the KPN bunk has remained closed for the last couple of months at least. Maybe it's because there's another A2B close by, with a convenient opening in the median.
Quote:
Oh Yes, that thread covers this route as well.

Yes, the same one. It was around 7am and I saw it closed during my return as well. Maybe some renovation work or since there is another branch close by on the opposite side, they would have decided to close this one. Just my guess .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
At what time did you reach the A2B ?

Is it the one at KPN Plaza attached to BP petrol bunk ?
KPN also has a small lodge next to the Polar bear ice cream outlet in same campus.

Few months ago, during one of our trips that side, they were open for business at 6:15am and I was surprised since many other outlets usually don't open until 6:30-6:45am which is why we usually stop at the Sree Saravana Bhavan near Vaigundam toll which is another 20+ km away and we can reach there around 7am.
Quote:
The A2B near Salem (at around 2Kms towards Coimbatore) was closed today. Not sure if its closed for any renovation or temporarily or permanently. Anyone aware of the reason?
If I am right about the A2B you guys are referring to, it was closed due to a fatal roof collapse in May 2018. I came to know about this from one of my relatives. It seems there was no concrete/permanent roof structure covering the restaurant, it only had a false ceiling which collapsed when a roof top advertisement board fell on it due to heavy rain and winds - real scary to think of and unfortunate for the people who were dining at the time.

Here's the news article:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64240276.cms
rbalachandar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 06:32   #995
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalachandar View Post
It seems there was no concrete/permanent roof structure covering the restaurant, it only had a false ceiling which collapsed when a roof top advertisement board fell on it due to heavy rain and winds - real scary to think of and unfortunate for the people who were dining at the time.
Seems to be the same A2B outlet (at Neikarapatti). Very scary indeed - there 50+ customers at the time of the incident.
Old 29th September 2018, 10:16   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalachandar View Post
It seems there was no concrete/permanent roof structure covering the restaurant, it only had a false ceiling which collapsed

That is scary, especially coming from such a reputed chain. Most of the A2B outlets are at strategic locations which is one of the reason I prefer their outlets. Hope this issue is not with the their other outlets too.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:36   #997
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Did a short trip to Tex Valley and Sangameshwar temple in Bhavani on Nov 1st. For the onward journey took the following route:

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-texvalley.jpg

Attibele-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai stretch was a treat to drive. From Thoppur took SH20 to Mecheri and Mettur. Very good 2 lane roads all the way. The Mettur-Bhavani SH is also very scenic with trees lined up on either sides of the road. Very well maintained SH.

THOPPUR TO MECHERI

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-thoppur-mecheri.jpg

MECHERI TO METTUR

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-mecheri-mettur.jpg

METTUR TO BHAVANI

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-mettur-bhavani-1.jpg
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-mettur-bhavani-2.jpg
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-mettur-bhavani-3.jpg

Sangameshwar temple in Bhavani was unique by the fact that we have sannidhis of Vishnu and Shiva in the same complex. Very well maintained temple. It is a must visit for all temple lovers.

For the return journey, thought of retracing the same path that I took for the onward journey. But traffic was considerably high on the Bhavani-Mettur road.

So from Bhavani, I took a detour towards Edappadi and then proceeded to Mecheri Via Jalagandapuram and Nangavalli. Forget the Edappadi-Mecheri SH, even the interior roads are BRILLIANT to drive.
I was not able to take any snaps as it was dark. Had dinner at Sai Sangeet near Thoppur.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-sangameshwar-tempel.jpg
suresh_gs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 09:41   #998
BHPian

I have a upcoming drive to Kodai this week, plan is to leave by 4.30 and I am looking for following information.
* How is the fastag implementation in Bangalore-Salem stretch? As per last update I got fastag is a hit or miss post Thoppur toll so just wanted to confirm.
* Any decent veg restaurant before or after Salem?.

Thanks in advance
Old 18th December 2018, 18:51   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
* How is the fastag implementation in Bangalore-Salem stretch? As per last update I got fastag is a hit or miss post Thoppur toll so just wanted to confirm.
FASTag works flawlessly from BETL till Karumathampatty (it's called IVRCL Chengappally IIRC). Since you will not be taking the L&T Coimbatore bypass, you will be spared of the torture - undivided carriageway, atrocious toll rate, no FASTag, 5 (or was it 6?) toll gates where one has to give the toll slip to the operator for scanning the barcode, and two major signals ON THE HIGHWAY.

Quote:
* Any decent veg restaurant before or after Salem?.
Many are there, and they're easily visible from a distance. There's a Saravana Bhavan Classic after Shoolagiri, Murugan Idly Shop near Krishnagiri, Sai Sangeeth & Adyar Ananda Bhavan a little distance after the Thoppur toll booth (on the right side of the NH towards Salem), a Saravana Bhavan and some shops about 25km after Salem city, and a many more.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 20:33   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a upcoming drive to Kodai this week, plan is to leave by 4.30 and I am looking for following information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
FASTag works flawlessly from BETL till Karumathampatty (it's called IVRCL Chengappally IIRC). Since you will not be taking the L&T Coimbatore bypass, you will be spared of the torture - undivided carriageway, atrocious toll rate, no FASTag, 5 (or was it 6?) toll gates where one has to give the toll slip to the operator for scanning the barcode, and two major signals ON THE HIGHWAY.

Am I missing something? Why Coimbatore route for Kodaikanal? Or is there a place Kodai near Coimbatore?
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 20:45   #1001
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
* Any decent veg restaurant before or after Salem?
Since you're heading to Kodaikanal, you need to go straight on NH7/44 after Salem towards Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul (turn off towards Theni after the Dindigul toll plaza - note that the same exit is shared for the Palani road also, but you should take the road that goes to Batlagundu-Theni and then turn off from Batlagundu bypass towards Kodai ghat road).

With a 4:30am start, I'd suggest you stop at Salem for breakfast since most restaurants open around 6:45-7am, Salem should be good. At Salem, you can stop at Aasai Dosai which is on right side. There are also couple of other restaurants (a Saravana Bhava(n) namesake is one of them again on right side). If you want to splurge on a buffet breakfast, then consider Park Plaza or Estancia at Salem both accessible from the service road of the highway and on left side.

Last edited by NPV : 18th December 2018 at 20:46.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 14:00   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I missing something? Why Coimbatore route for Kodaikanal? Or is there a place Kodai near Coimbatore?
My mistake. Had Ooty in mind when I typed that in
Old 30th December 2018, 13:29   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Planning a ride from Bangalore to Kotagiri, so why am I posting this query here?
I read some of the above posts where some folks have taken the Thoppur > Mettur > Anthiyur > Sathy > route to Coimbatore. So I was thinking of taking something similar upto Sathy and then to Mettupalayam.
How is the road conditions and traffic? GM shows it to be 50 kms less than the usual NH 544 but saving only 10 minutes of time.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:16   #1004
BHPian

Hello experts,

I have a wedding to attend at Thiruppur next week. I need to reach the venue at 6:30am and plan to take the usual Hosur- Krishnagiri-dharmapuri- Bhavani route. Would I get there on time if I leave by 3:30am? Car is a Creta 1.6 with HID lights and I am used to night driving. Please advice.
Thanks!
Old 6th March 2019, 11:04   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Hello experts,

I have a wedding to attend at Thiruppur next week. I need to reach the venue at 6:30am and plan to take the usual Hosur- Krishnagiri-dharmapuri- Bhavani route. Would I get there on time if I leave by 3:30am? Car is a Creta 1.6 with HID lights and I am used to night driving. Please advice.
Thanks!
Reaching Tiruppur within 3 hrs is too much of a task. Very risky proposal. I would suggest you to reach the venue the previous night
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks