Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 13:23   #1546
Senior - BHPian

An alternate route when stuck at Walayar is to take a left from KK Chavadi (while coming from Cbe or a right turn if one is turning back from the jam at Walayar) and go through Velanthavalam Check post, which is relatively less packed. You can get connected to NH47 via Chittur, or if coming to Palakkad, join back Cbe-Pkd highway through Pollachi-Palakkad state highway. However you can get stuck here also since there is a very narrow bridge connecting Kerala-TN. Better get advice from Truckers coming from that side at KK Chavadi itself before proceeding
Old 24th August 2010, 17:47   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Got a real taste of a Walayar jam during this Blr-Cochin Onam trip. It took us 1 hour 50 minutes to pass that 2km stretch on Saturday early morning. By the time we cleared it, palakkad-cochin traffic was at its peak and gave us the worst ever timing of 13 hours. I wish if those cops at Walayar check post had reported on duty couple of hours early that day.

Yesterday's Cochin-Blr was smooth. I think afternoon start works best in this route. This is the second time I started at 3.30pm from Palarivattom and could reach CV raman nagar at 12.50am. No blocks anywhere.
We were also travelling on the same day(from Muvattupuzha to BLR).Before Reaching Walayar , We Were lead to a 4x4 territory road(kozhippara?) by the Locals to Reach Velanthavalam-KG Chavadi.took a lot of time with non-existant roads and Huge Gutters.It took us 11 hours to Reach Whitefield.

While on Return Yesterday ,Everything was fine(Walayar).We Reached from Whitefield(Belthur) to Muvattupuzha in 8hrs20minutes time.

Vadakkanchery-Pattikad on NH - roads are having surprise potholes and keeping constant speed is not possible.

Last edited by deepclutch : 24th August 2010 at 17:52.
Old 24th August 2010, 19:45   #1548
Senior - BHPian

NH 47 south of Alappuzha is in very bad state.
The authorities are unable to maintain this 2lane road and probably which is why Keral is against 45 meter roads and thing\ks 30 Mtr is fine; maintaining it would be a lot easier.
Maveli may be applying pain reliever gel in his back.
Old 24th August 2010, 20:37   #1549
Senior - BHPian

broken roads from Kollam till Paripalli. Also broken patches from punalur till Adoor.
really bad patches from Harippad till Cherthala.

Last edited by kutlee : 24th August 2010 at 20:41.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:37   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
An alternate route when stuck at Walayar is to take a left from KK Chavadi (while coming from Cbe or a right turn if one is turning back from the jam at Walayar) and go through Velanthavalam Check post, which is relatively less packed. You can get connected to NH47 via Chittur, or if coming to Palakkad, join back Cbe-Pkd highway through Pollachi-Palakkad state highway. However you can get stuck here also since there is a very narrow bridge connecting Kerala-TN. Better get advice from Truckers coming from that side at KK Chavadi itself before proceeding
I took this route on my return travel and it was free from traffic. Bit narrow but quite decent except the exit to NH47.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:39   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Drove back from Cochin to Bangalore yesterday (through NH47/NH7). The roads between TCR and PGT has improved a lot.Started from Edappally at 9 and we were at Palghat at 11.Kuthiran ghats seems to have improved with the patch work. The ride is still bumpy but then you don't need to crawl. Only doubt is , how long does the patchwork last.
Yes. Onam brought some glory to NH47, many pothholes are being patched. Day driving is not at all an issue, night travellers might still jump in some surprise craters though not as deep as before.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:56   #1552
Senior - BHPian

jacs, do you think that even without traffic jams at Walayar, it may be a better idea to go via K G Chavadi, link up via Koduvayur and rejoin NH47 at Alathur so that you bypass Palakkad totally? I heard that this road is also not in a great shape, but do you think congestion is less on this route? I have driven on it many many years ago and I remember it to be a narrow road but a quick way to get from Coimbatore side to Trissur side.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:54   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I would be very happy if I can drive through the fly over at Chalakudy and Alwaye. How long does one take to construct a fly over ? Frustrating....
Heard the issue for Aluva flyover was due to delay in rerouting of KSEB 11kv tower line..
Old 25th August 2010, 22:46   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Heard the issue for Aluva flyover was due to delay in rerouting of KSEB 11kv tower line..
It is the fourth year if I am right.
The one at Kalamassery is open to traffic ,
Old 25th August 2010, 22:50   #1555
Senior - BHPian

We were on visiting several temples & this was the road condition from Kaduthuruthy to Vaikom temple. Horrible & pathetic road condition for several Kms which slowed our entire journey & prevented us from visiting Chotanikkara temple.
All Roads to Kerala-r1.jpg
Old 25th August 2010, 23:27   #1556
Senior - BHPian

This condition is after a temporary job. What really happened was the Kerala water Authority dug both sides of this stretch for laying pipes. This was in last March/April and the tarmac was reduced to a car width. With the onset of the monsoon the road beacame a nonmotorable canal. The present condition is after temporary repairs; imagine the condition before the repairs.

The relaying will now start only after November it is heard. Real pity indeed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th August 2010 at 23:29.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:05   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
jacs, do you think that even without traffic jams at Walayar, it may be a better idea to go via K G Chavadi, link up via Koduvayur and rejoin NH47 at Alathur so that you bypass Palakkad totally? I heard that this road is also not in a great shape, but do you think congestion is less on this route? I have driven on it many many years ago and I remember it to be a narrow road but a quick way to get from Coimbatore side to Trissur side.
The road is fairly good though narrow. But if there is no jam in the walayar sector, it is better to take the NH itself, since it anyway bypasses palakkad. Also the surfacing on this road is not as good as the NH and it is difficuilt to maintain momentum. Another point to consider is that the two routes connect like a rectangle, hence i dont think there would be much gain in terms of distance travelled (though I've not measured the difference)
Old 26th August 2010, 22:57   #1558
Senior - BHPian

We'd a trip from Wadkanchery - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Angadipuram - Pattambi - Kootanaadu - Guruvayoor - Kechery - Wadakanchery.

Road conditions were worst in Palakkad district; i.e. Pattambi - Perinthalmanna & Pattambi - Kootanaadu. I've only one pic which is distorted & hence I'm not posting the worst road condition here. To give an idea...

Wadakanchery - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Angadipuram is about 56 Kms & took about 2 hours & it was so horrible.

Guruvayoor - Kechery - Wadakanchery was about 30 Kms & took about 30-40 minutes. Though the road was not silky smooth on Kechery route, I could maintain always above 50 & most of the times in 80.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:22   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
broken roads from Kollam till Paripalli. Also broken patches from punalur till Adoor.
really bad patches from Harippad till Cherthala.

What? where?

Forget taking NH from Paripally to Cochin if you love your car. MC road rules.
Old 27th August 2010, 00:18   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the following three routes recently? Am planning a drive, and would like to be prepared for the roads, traffic, weather conditions and what-nots!

Am pretty confidant about the NH45 and NH7 parts of this route, but what about the rest? This is Perambalur to Munnar.
All Roads to Kerala-map1.png

How is this route? It is through the Eravikulam National park, so guess it would be a scenic drive - but conditions? This is Munnar to Kumarakom.
Name:  Map2.png
Views: 12436
Size:  116.9 KB

This is through the SH1 and then through NH47 - typical Kerala highways? This is Kumarakom to Kovalam.
All Roads to Kerala-map3.png

I would greatly appreciate any tip / advice / suggestion on these routes!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th August 2010 at 00:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks