Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 18:59   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Are you guys sure of this? I traveled through that section again today - The Flyover (both lanes) were closed. I traveled from Edappally to Aluva, and noticed that the bridge was closed.

Once open, that flyover is sure to increase the traffic mess - I guarantee! Its sure to become an accident spot, since buses would take a rash turn at the signal, and cars coming down the flyover might end up under the bus.
Yes, this was open when I took this route twice. The lane towards Cochin was open.
Old 20th June 2011, 19:55   #2387
Senior - BHPian

My friend, a resident of Alwaye, came to Bangalore today. As per him, they opened one lane for traffic but immediately closed and opened the other lane (repair!).
The chances of closing both lanes for repair (?) could be possible.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:07   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Update:

Thrissur - Palghat roads in a pretty bad state.
Undertook this journey on 18th. Roads are in a VERY pathetic condition. are these roads maintained by NHAI?
Old 20th June 2011, 21:17   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Undertook this journey on 18th. Roads are in a VERY pathetic condition. are these roads maintained by NHAI?

It is. Dont know what they are upto. Have to take this route early next month. Hope they would repair it soon (dont think that would happen).
Old 20th June 2011, 21:25   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
It is. Dont know what they are upto. Have to take this route early next month. Hope they would repair it soon (dont think that would happen).
Probably, they are only thinking/arguing/debating about the "proposed" 4-laning of NH-47 in this section and ignoring the urgent need of repair.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:33   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this was open when I took this route twice. The lane towards Cochin was open.
Naveen, I was on my way back from Edapally today and I saw that both lanes of the flyover were closed. But on saturday on the way back from Nucleus, the lane towards Aluva From Cochin was open. What the heck is going on there?
Old 21st June 2011, 09:33   #2392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Naveen, I was on my way back from Edapally today and I saw that both lanes of the flyover were closed. But on saturday on the way back from Nucleus, the lane towards Aluva From Cochin was open. What the heck is going on there?
This happened at Chalakkuday too. They opened both the lanes and after two days closed one lane. Maybe they closed it for repairs. But what repairs after 2-3 days of finishing the work? Anyways, Aluva flyover wont make a difference as it ends at the signal at both ends. Bad planning I would say
Old 21st June 2011, 09:56   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
This happened at Chalakkuday too. They opened both the lanes and after two days closed one lane. Maybe they closed it for repairs. But what repairs after 2-3 days of finishing the work? Anyways, Aluva flyover wont make a difference as it ends at the signal at both ends. Bad planning I would say
Signal or not, at least the flyover road was somewhat smooth. The diverted roads at the sides of the flyover are terrible - in fact the front right tire of my Waggie completely sunk in a water filled pothole!! Didnt see it as it was dark and I was right behind a KSRTC bus which went over it as if it didnt exist.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:30   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Probably, they are only thinking/arguing/debating about the "proposed" 4-laning of NH-47 in this section and ignoring the urgent need of repair.
Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy 4-laning is approved, and work is on. They've clear land along the "flat" area. I guess they are wondering "What next" with regards to the Kuthiran Ghats. Read in newspapers that this section would be 60m wide, and public in the area (who earlier allowed Land Acquisition to progress) are now protesting (after Land Acquisition is complete) and are now demanding that the road be only 45m wide!!

The worst section is Vandakkenchery-Pattikad, and I guess the authorities would not bother repairing that section, since 4 laning is progressing.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:02   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy 4-laning is approved, and work is on. They've clear land along the "flat" area. I guess they are wondering "What next" with regards to the Kuthiran Ghats. Read in newspapers that this section would be 60m wide, and public in the area (who earlier allowed Land Acquisition to progress) are now protesting (after Land Acquisition is complete) and are now demanding that the road be only 45m wide!!

The worst section is Vandakkenchery-Pattikad, and I guess the authorities would not bother repairing that section, since 4 laning is progressing.
The Kuthiran section is going to be a tunnel, as per newspaper reports. Going to be the longest in South Indian NHs.

The current issue is not that whether it should be 60m or 45m wide. 60m is accepted, but the compensation declared was as per the old norms, when the land acquisition took place - but the locals want the compensation based on the later declaration made as per the meeting between the then State govt, Central and NHAI
Old 21st June 2011, 14:10   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The Kuthiran section is going to be a tunnel, as per newspaper reports. Going to be the longest in South Indian NHs.
Thats a great decision. Will both the up and down lanes go through the Tunnel, or would it be like one direction take the tunnel, while the other battles the ghats? (like the Khambhatki Ghats in the Kolhapur-Pune section of NH4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The current issue is not that whether it should be 60m or 45m wide. 60m is accepted, but the compensation declared was as per the old norms, when the land acquisition took place - but the locals want the compensation based on the later declaration made as per the meeting between the then State govt, Central and NHAI
The last time I went to the section, there were posters demanding that the highway be built 45m wide, and not 60. May be I am not conversant with the later developments.

Is there any news on the Vadakkenchery-Walayar section? The work in the Walayar-Chengampalli section is progressing pretty quickly - Walayar could turn out to be a bottle neck.

Last edited by binaiks : 21st June 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Typos corrected.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:30   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a great decision. Will both the up and down lanes go through the Tunnel, or would it be like one direction take the tunnel, while the other battles the ghats? (like the Khambhatki Ghats in the Kolhapur-Pune section of NH4)

The last time I went to the section, there were posters demanding that the highway be built 45m wide, and not 60. May be I am not conversant with the later developments.

Is there any news on the Vadakkenchery-Walayar section? The work in the Walayar-Chengampalli section is progressing pretty quickly - Walayar could turn out to be a bottle neck.
The tunnel will be for both up and down directions - 6 lane

You may be right about the protests, since it is rather complicated - with different ways of putting forth their demands

Hope we will see some action soon on the Mannuthi - Vadakkenchery section, since govt was paying a huge penalty to the contractor for each day's work delayed

No news on the Vadakkenchery-Walayar section except that the land acquisition is over. Protests may begin once the work starts here As you say, this section may become the bottle neck
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:14   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The flyover is closed again! The road below has been re-surfaced, and the flyover is closed.

Here is a pic - taken from a bus, apologies for poor quality. This is at the Marthanda Varma Bridge end.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img_2062.jpg  

binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:05   #2399
BHPian

What is the latest status of (Bangalore->Mysore->Gundlupet)->Gudalur->Nilambur->Kalikavu->Perinthalmanna->Pattambi->Perumpilavu->Guruvayur route?
If one can reach Gundlupet by 8 AM, what would be the estimated time to reach Guruvayur with a total of an hour's break in between? I would say 1 PM from my experience in January/February, but would like to know from someone who had done this recently.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:54   #2400
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
What is the latest status of (Bangalore->Mysore->Gundlupet)->Gudalur->Nilambur->Kalikavu->Perinthalmanna->Pattambi->Perumpilavu->Guruvayur route?
Good roads on this stretch - (Bangalore->Mysore->Gundlupet), entering Bandipur expect it to be bad for a few kms and then once you cross over to TN side, road is good upto Gudalur. Not sure about Nilambur route though. I do remember seeing another post on a Guruvayoor thread if I remember correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks