Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 23:46   #2716
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Can anyone, esp. ranjitp, provide me detailed information on the best route as of now (route conditions and hotels for food-breaks enroute) from the following 3 places for different relatives to drive to Kollengode on the occasion of a family function?
1) Chamravattom (near Tirur)
2) Valanchery
3) Kozhikode (for this, please suggest a couple of good alternatives as well if possible)
Hi Ajith,from tirur and valancheri to kollengode the best option would be to come via pattambi-kullapully-shoranur-ottapalam-take the new mayannur bridge-mayannur-join the wadakancheri-pazhyannur road-pazhyannur-plazhi-padur-alathur-cut across nh47-kunissery-kollengode.

Samudra regency at kulappully is a good place to stop,it would come to your right after kulappully junction,you cant miss it.

after that there is the famous local eatery called jaibharath at vaniyamkulam.

This route is totally traffic free and freshly laid up as well.the new bridge at mayannur has facilitated this new route.bear in mind it took them 15years to build that bridge thanks to politics and politicians and the contractor who build the bridge never got his due and committed suicide says the local newspaper reports.

From Kulappully to kollengode would be approx 65kms and shouldnt take you more than 1.5 to 2 hours under slowest speeds.

From kozhikode,I would again suggest that they come via valancheri.if this is not suitable,then i would reccomend they come via kondotti-perinthalmana-cherplasserri-varode-ottapalam-mayannur-pazhyannur-alathur-kunisserry-kollengode.

This way your relatives can all take the same route.the above mentioned routes are good at the moment and hardly has any traffic.the only traffic sector would be perinthalmana-kozhikode,with an early start from kozhikode that also can be avoided.kozhikode-kollengode should be a 3-4 hour drive around 150kms.

Kozhikode-Kollengode:

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

Tirur-Kollengode

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...via=1&t=m&z=10

Valanchery-Kollengode

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
. I stopped at a place just before Kulappalli(when coming from ottapalam). It was pretty good.
The place must be Samudra Regency,its just been around for a year or so,but highly reccomended and even the rooms are way above expectations for a place like shoranur/kulappully. www.samudraregency.com

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 29th September 2011 at 00:05.
Old 29th September 2011, 15:42   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hi Ajith,from tirur and valancheri to kollengode the best option would be to come via pattambi-kullapully-shoranur-ottapalam-take the new mayannur bridge-mayannur-join the wadakancheri-pazhyannur road-pazhyannur-plazhi-padur-alathur-cut across nh47-kunissery-kollengode.

Samudra regency at kulappully is a good place to stop,it would come to your right after kulappully junction,you cant miss it.

after that there is the famous local eatery called jaibharath at vaniyamkulam.

This route is totally traffic free and freshly laid up as well.the new bridge at mayannur has facilitated this new route.bear in mind it took them 15years to build that bridge thanks to politics and politicians and the contractor who build the bridge never got his due and committed suicide says the local newspaper reports.

From Kulappully to kollengode would be approx 65kms and shouldnt take you more than 1.5 to 2 hours under slowest speeds.

From kozhikode,I would again suggest that they come via valancheri.if this is not suitable,then i would reccomend they come via kondotti-perinthalmana-cherplasserri-varode-ottapalam-mayannur-pazhyannur-alathur-kunisserry-kollengode.

This way your relatives can all take the same route.the above mentioned routes are good at the moment and hardly has any traffic.the only traffic sector would be perinthalmana-kozhikode,with an early start from kozhikode that also can be avoided.kozhikode-kollengode should be a 3-4 hour drive around 150kms.

Kozhikode-Kollengode:

Kozhikode, Kerala to Kollengode, Kerala - Google Maps

Tirur-Kollengode

Tirur, Kerala to Kollengode, Kerala - Google Maps

Valanchery-Kollengode

Valancherry Junction, Kerala to Kollengode, Kerala - Google Maps

The place must be Samudra Regency,its just been around for a year or so,but highly reccomended and even the rooms are way above expectations for a place like shoranur/kulappully. www.samudraregency.com
Is not Chamravattom bridge open now? If yes, was thinking to suggest Chamravattom->Ponnani/Edappal->Akkikkavu->Wadakanchery->Alathur route a variant to your route. Or Chamravattom->Trikkannapuram->Kumbidy->Pattambi as another variant. What do you think?

Please note that Chamravattom and Tirur, even though about 15 kms apart, takes 30-40 minutes to cover as the roads are narrow. Hence, thinking of bye-passing Tirur altogether on the way to Kollengode. Any inputs with this in mind?
Old 29th September 2011, 15:49   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is not Chamravattom bridge open now? If yes, was thinking to suggest Chamravattom->Ponnani/Edappal->Akkikkavu->Wadakanchery->Alathur route a variant to your route. Or Chamravattom->Trikkannapuram->Kumbidy->Pattambi as another variant. What do you think?

Please note that Chamravattom and Tirur, even though about 15 kms apart, takes 30-40 minutes to cover as the roads are narrow. Hence, thinking of bye-passing Tirur altogether on the way to Kollengode. Any inputs with this in mind?
Sorry dont have a clue about chamravattom,so cant really suggest anything about routes from there.
Old 29th September 2011, 15:56   #2719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I dont think the bridge is open yet. Some issues with the approach roads.

So to get to the route you mentioned it would be Chamravataam-Kuttipuram-Trikkannapuram->Kumbidy->Pattambi . I would not recommend this since it still means travelling halfway to Tirur and then taking the kuttipuram road. Also kuttipuram road is totally broken down and in any case the Trikanapuram -->kumbidy-->Pattambi stretch is also narrow in most places and winding. I had gone this route a year back and at that time the roads were very bad.

I think the routes suggested by RanjitP are the most suited. Only need to endure the Valancheri Pattambi bad stretch.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:44   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Paranoid in choosing the route to Thodupuzha! Always prefer the Dindigul - Theni -Cumbom- Cumbommettu route but travelling in night so Cumbommettu to Cheruthoni could be a challenging trail with tuskers.
Old 29th September 2011, 21:31   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
in local paper it was reported karimugal-puthenkurish(NH49) route is in horrible condition.
Another Alternate Route to reach Perumbavoor from Ernakulam city is:

Palarivattom-Olimugal-Kakkanad-Navodaya-TurnLeft-Kangarappady-Pukkattupady-Perumbavoor. Narrow Roads! Only Benefit is Less Traffic .

this route is infested with long distance private buses rashly driven . that will be a problem.
Road condition in Thiruvankulam town of NH49 is bad. since, there is regular traffic block from Thiruvankulam towards Ernakulam in NH49 route, I tried Vyttila-Irimpanam-Refinery-Karimugal-Puthenkurish route today. the road condition is somewhat OK. still potholes are there; not bad as I imagined.
----
a doubt , is there a route from Infopark road through Edachira-Morakkkala reaching Pattimattom or Kolenchery?
Regards
Old 29th September 2011, 22:50   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
----
a doubt , is there a route from Infopark road through Edachira-Morakkkala reaching Pattimattom or Kolenchery?
Regards
There is a route:
Edachira - Thengode - Pallikkara - Pattimattam - Muvattupuzha.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 10:03   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
There is a route:
Edachira - Thengode - Pallikkara - Pattimattam - Muvattupuzha.
Yep. This was my regular route from Thodupuzha to Infopark .

Not sure on latest road condition. But roads are narrow and mostly village sort with surprise curves etc. Beware of the Tipper lorries which ply this route, they are pretty dangerous since flying to cover more trip.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:27   #2724
BHPian

Planning to do Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Nilambur-Pattambi-TCR mid-Oct.
How's the stretch - any part to avoid?

Is the traditional NH route (via Salem, Coimbatore bypass, Palakkad) more advisable?

Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 14:35   #2725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
Planning to do Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Nilambur-Pattambi-TCR mid-Oct.
How's the stretch - any part to avoid?

Is the traditional NH route (via Salem, Coimbatore bypass, Palakkad) more advisable?

Thanks
If Trichur is the target Salem/CBE/Pallakkad/Ottapalam/Shornur may be a better
approach, as its more of plains and 4L. Distances are same.

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Thrissur, Kerala - Google Maps

If you still want to go via Gudalur, then take Nilambur/Edvanna/Manjeri/Malapuram/Kottakal/Kuttipuram/Kecheri/Tricuhur.
Kunnamkulam can be by-passed thanks to info provided by Ajit BR.

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Thrissur, Kerala - Google Maps

Last edited by ampere : 30th September 2011 at 14:37.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:49   #2726
BHPian

@ampere - Didn't get the part "more of plains and 4L" - 4L means ??
I've been through both routes in the past - usually enjoy the Gudalur route due the drive through the forest - wanted to check on road conditions at Nadugani, Perinthalmanna, etc due to the rains - are they bad?

I've not done Edvana - Kotakkal - TCR so maybe I'll try that.

How about the Walayar/Kuthiran stretch on the NH? Heard that was bad too - have they patched it up?
Old 30th September 2011, 16:00   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
@ampere - Didn't get the part "more of plains and 4L" - 4L means ??
I've been through both routes in the past - usually enjoy the Gudalur route due the drive through the forest - wanted to check on road conditions at Nadugani, Perinthalmanna, etc due to the rains - are they bad?

I've not done Edvana - Kotakkal - TCR so maybe I'll try that.

How about the Walayar/Kuthiran stretch on the NH? Heard that was bad too - have they patched it up?
He meant "4L"-4 laned.

NH47 continues to be bad between alathur & thrissur.So dont bother doing that stretch.If you would like to reach Thrissur fast,then take the NH7-NH47-Ottapalam-Shornur route.From Wadakancheri,take the route via Kumbalangad-Vyasa NSS College-Parlikad-Kurancheri-Back to Thrissur bypass road.This way you avoid all the railway gates.

If you are intending to take the kangeyam-pollachi route,then it is more advisable to go via pollachi-alathur-pazhyannur-chelakara-wadakancheri-thrissur.road is excellent and recently laid and wide.you could buy your fill of banana chips from SNR at Alathur.

Nilambur route is good,in and around perinthalmana is broken up,but compared to the nh7-47 combo,this is going to take a long time with heavy traffic and narrow roads.so if you are not in a hurry and are ok with a 10-11 hr drive take the nilambur route.blore-thrissur via salem can be easily done in 8-9 hours under sedate driving,
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 23:41   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
He meant "4L"-4 laned.

NH47 continues to be bad between alathur & thrissur.So dont bother doing that stretch.If you would like to reach Thrissur fast,then take the NH7-NH47-Ottapalam-Shornur route.From Wadakancheri,take the route via Kumbalangad-Vyasa NSS College-Parlikad-Kurancheri-Back to Thrissur bypass road.This way you avoid all the railway gates.
+1. I took this route today morning and it was a breeze.
Old 30th September 2011, 23:50   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
+1. I took this route today morning and it was a breeze.
Did you manage to find your way and avoid the gates as well?
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:41   #2730
BHPian

Can anybody let me know the current condition of Thrissur - Palakkad road ? I will be travelling to Pune on 13th morning from Kochi. I am worried only about this stretch. Have they at least filled those huge potholes ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks