Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:18   #2881
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I would not recommend the NH209 route to a first timer due to the Ghat sections and the difficulty in passing through towns like Chamarajnagar, Kollegal etc. This route is good if one knows the way but it cannot be faster than NH 7.
Disagree with that. May be if one is used to driving at 140+ this may be true, but for most people who drive in the 80-120 kmph range even on a 4 lane road, NH209 is certainly doable in the same amount of time, if not less. In fact the last time I travelled on NH7/47 (this was before the 4 laning work between Avinashi and CBE), it took me about 6 hours to get to CBE (L&T byepass start) from Bangalore, and on my last trip on NH209 which was about a month back, I reached the same place in Coimbatore in about 5 hours 10 minutes.

Faster ? I wouldn't say so, but it did take less time mainly because it is about 45 kms shorter (plus my home is close to Kanakapura road, so it would've probably saved me about 10-15 minutes that It'd take to get from KP road to Hosur Road via NICE road)

Last edited by kala : 3rd November 2011 at 15:21.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:00   #2882
BHPian

Hi,

I need some clarification. Will be driving to Guruvayur from B'lore in the first week of Dec. A relative suggested the following route to get to Guruvayur from Palakkad; says its a much better option than going via Trichur:

Palakkad -Ottapalam -kulappully -Pattambi -Koottanad -Kunnamkulam -Guruvayur

Anyone tried this route? Is it really a better option, in terms of traffic and road condition as compared to via Trichur? G-map says the distance is almost same (4km less)... Is this route infested with those mad private buses - at the fag end of a long drive, I will surely not be in a mood to fight for tarmac with them!

Look forward to your inputs.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:35   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Palakkad -Ottapalam -kulappully -Pattambi -Koottanad -Kunnamkulam -Guruvayur

Anyone tried this route? Is it really a better option, in terms of traffic and road condition as compared to via Trichur? G-map says the distance is almost same (4km less)... Is this route infested with those mad private buses - at the fag end of a long drive, I will surely not be in a mood to fight for tarmac with them!

Look forward to your inputs.
Yes this is the best route to get to Guruvayur from Palakkad.Road is excellent as well till Pattambi and then some bad stretches which are easily manageable.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:22   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Yes this is the best route to get to Guruvayur from Palakkad.Road is excellent as well till Pattambi and then some bad stretches which are easily manageable.
Thanks, Ranjitp1! And hows the traffic? Is it infested with those mad max private buses?
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:34   #2885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Thanks, Ranjitp1! And hows the traffic? Is it infested with those mad max private buses?
Whole of northern kerala is filled with private buses,so you just cant help it.Palakkad-Kulappully-Pattambi is the best road in the state today and the widest,second to the NH47 between Mannuthy and Edappally.But no major problems with the buses on this route,you can easily avoid them and drive.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:49   #2886
BHPian

Thanks, ranjitp1! I guess I will give this road a try this time. It's been a while since I used any of the north Kerala roads, and I have never travelled on this section before. Couple of times, I have taken the Gudalur-Nilambur route to get to Guruvayur; else, it's always been NH47.
Old 4th November 2011, 08:40   #2887
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
I'll be traveling to Palakkad from Bangalore tomorrow, had couple of questions:
1. suggestion for hotels - prefer to be closer to town with decent parking, budget upto 2k. I usually stay at Kapilavastu but rooms not available.
2. rain - seeing this morning's rain in Bangalore (started late last night) wondering if it's raining cats and dogs in Palakkad, would appreciate if someone can share any updates from last 2-3 days.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NPV : 4th November 2011 at 08:42.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:06   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks,
I'll be traveling to Palakkad from Bangalore tomorrow, had couple of questions:
1. suggestion for hotels - prefer to be closer to town with decent parking, budget upto 2k. I usually stay at Kapilavastu but rooms not available.
2. rain - seeing this morning's rain in Bangalore (started late last night) wondering if it's raining cats and dogs in Palakkad, would appreciate if someone can share any updates from last 2-3 days.
Thanks in advance.
Why not Hotel Indraprastha or Hotel Srichakra?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 09:07   #2889
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thank you HVK sir. Just booked at Srichakra.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:24   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quote:
Thank you HVK sir. Just booked at Srichakra.
Wouldnt want to sound pessimistic,but Srichakra has regressed.I would suggest KPM Regency as an alternative or Indraprastha.

K P M

Rains in the evenings and more than rains,its thunder & lightning.Characteristics of the season(Thulam!)

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 4th November 2011 at 11:25.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:56   #2891
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Wouldnt want to sound pessimistic,but Srichakra has regressed.I would suggest KPM Regency as an alternative or Indraprastha.

K P M

Rains in the evenings and more than rains,its thunder & lightning.Characteristics of the season(Thulam!)
Thanks Ranjit.
I heard about a strike/hartal tomorrow (Saturday) that will affect road traffic from 6am to 6pm so I did a rejig of my plan and will be staying at Coimbatore since it's not worth risking it in Kerala with a family on board in the car. Will be traveling to Palakkad early morning on Sunday.
I guess I'm jinxed with my Kerala trips - anytime I plan there's a hartal
Old 4th November 2011, 19:37   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit.
I heard about a strike/hartal tomorrow (Saturday) that will affect road traffic from 6am to 6pm so I did a rejig of my plan and will be staying at Coimbatore since it's not worth risking it in Kerala with a family on board in the car. Will be traveling to Palakkad early morning on Sunday.
I guess I'm jinxed with my Kerala trips - anytime I plan there's a hartal
private vehicles are excluded as per the left loyal desabhimani wbesite. So private cars shouldnt be an issue. And the strike is not called by LDF as such
Old 4th November 2011, 22:17   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

Wouldnt want to sound pessimistic,but Srichakra has regressed.
I stayed at srichakra couple of years back, and had to change rooms twice in one night- due to cockroaches, faulty AC and overall poor upkeep. Best to avoid.
Old 4th November 2011, 22:33   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a good idea - its better not to risk in Kerala. Its not very problematic in border areas, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
private vehicles are excluded as per the left loyal desabhimani wbesite. So private cars shouldnt be an issue. And the strike is not called by LDF as such
Yeah - its not called by LDF. But its fully supported by Left backed trade unions - that is more than sufficient. They always say private vehicles are excluded, but it reality that is never the case. Avoidable travel is best avoided on hartal days - especially while traveling with Family. Hooligans literally dance on the road on these days - they might have no political backing, but on such days, even they are powerful.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 07:59   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Travelling to Alleppey from Pollachi. So google says my best route is

pollachi-Thrissur(byepass)-Irinyalakuda-Cochin-Alleppey.

Is this route good?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks