Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 12:02   #4876
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I hope you know, how to latch on to the Shoranur road from the 4-lane on Trichur bypass. Ranjit had a post on the optimized route through Trichur to get you to Wadakanchery road which leads to Shoranur.
The route I've been using the past several times is - Take service lane at Kuttanellur (flyover about 4 KM after Ollur toll gate) and go towards Trichur. Straight road till Jubilee mission hospital (T-junction), take right and go straight , take the second left (Town hall road), take right turn at the circle (signs for Calicut, Guruvayoor), take right turn at the next circle (signs for Shoranur) and you'll merge with the SH to Shoranur. Fairly easy directions, not much traffic (heavy vehicle) and wider roads.

Recently noticed that Google suggests a different option to bypass Trichur - Go till Mannuthy and take the road via Thanikkudam, Kundukad to join Wadakkanchery on Shoranur highway. I've not tried it yet, but will be doing so the next time.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:12   #4877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
The route I've been using the past several times is - Take service lane at Kuttanellur (flyover about 4 KM after Ollur toll gate) and go towards Trichur. Straight road till Jubilee mission hospital (T-junction), take right and go straight , take the second left (Town hall road), take right turn at the circle (signs for Calicut, Guruvayoor), take right turn at the next circle (signs for Shoranur) and you'll merge with the SH to Shoranur. Fairly easy directions, not much traffic (heavy vehicle) and wider roads.
+1. Thats the exact route that I was referring to.

Route link

I think there is no need to go even till Pattutaikal. Most times I have been there, I see traffic due to Thiruvamadi temple. Dont know how is it nowadays.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 17:11   #4878
BHPian

[quote=denver85;3070242]Hotel Sharavanas on the left side(It will come on your right side). That hotel has good parking facility, clean toilets and decent Veg food...Dont miss the Tenkasi bypass road QUOTE]

Two good tips, thanks Denver... catch up, we shall on the Kurnool drive. Cheers !
Old 19th March 2013, 18:33   #4879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think there is no need to go even till Pattutaikal. Most times I have been there, I see traffic due to Thiruvamadi temple. Dont know how is it nowadays.
You dont go to Patturaikal while taking this route from Kuttanellur.You turn off to join the Shoranur SH much before Patturaikal.Thiruvambady traffic jams are only on some festival days,otherwise its pretty easy sailing there.Plus now a days while coming from the Swaraj Round via Patturaikal towards Shoranur,you cannot go straight at the patturaikal circle,one need to take a left and go under the flyover and come back to the circle and then take a left and go on towards Shoranur.A detour of almost 500-600mts for to just cross the road!

Quote:

Recently noticed that Google suggests a different option to bypass Trichur - Go till Mannuthy and take the road via Thanikkudam, Kundukad to join Wadakkanchery on Shoranur highway. I've not tried it yet, but will be doing so the next time.
I am assuming you are referring to the Mannuthy-Thanikkudam-Kundukad-Machad-Join Vazhani Dam road-Join Shoranur SH at Ottupara bus stand?If this is the route you are talking about,then you are better off not taking it.Narrow and bad roads for most part and you would take a long time reaching Wadakancheri.The main Thrissur-WKI SH is the best bet.
Old 20th March 2013, 08:00   #4880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I am assuming you are referring to the Mannuthy-Thanikkudam-Kundukad-Machad-Join Vazhani Dam road-Join Shoranur SH at Ottupara bus stand?If this is the route you are talking about,then you are better off not taking it.Narrow and bad roads for most part and you would take a long time reaching Wadakancheri.The main Thrissur-WKI SH is the best bet.
Yes. That is the one. Thanks for the warning. I can now avoid that for a while. Would you know the road condition from Trichur to Palghat through Wadakkancheri, Chelakkara, Pazhayannur (joining the Shoranur-Palghat highway at Lakkidi)?
Old 20th March 2013, 08:26   #4881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You dont go to Patturaikal while taking this route from Kuttanellur.You turn off to join the Shoranur SH much before Patturaikal.Thiruvambady traffic jams are only on some festival days,otherwise its pretty easy sailing there.
Sorry for the typo. I did mean Patturaikal. Typically I remember seeing quite a healthy traffic stream pouring down the railway flyover.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:33   #4882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the typo. I did mean Patturaikal. Typically I remember seeing quite a healthy traffic stream pouring down the railway flyover.
Yes now you go below the railway flyover to get over to the other side!

Quote:
Yes. That is the one. Thanks for the warning. I can now avoid that for a while. Would you know the road condition from Trichur to Palghat through Wadakkancheri, Chelakkara, Pazhayannur (joining the Shoranur-Palghat highway at Lakkidi)?
The road is excellent.Some bad stretches between Thiruvilamala and Lakkidi,otherwise the road is good,esp the WKI-Pazhayannur road is now wide and well surfaced.I take the WKI-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Kangayam-Palladam-Perundurai-NH47 route usually for my drives towards Bangalore and the route is excellent with hardly any traffic.

The other alternative is also good with the Mayannur bridge now open for traffic.Wadakancheri-Chelakara-Kayampoova hill(left turn)-Mayannur-@ Ottapalam join the Shoranur-Palakkad SH.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:53   #4883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC
I am planning to travel to Ooty from Trivandrum next Friday. Considering, it is the start of the long weekend, which would be the better route for me to take?

via Palakkad or Nilambur?

How are the road conditions on the route through Nilambur - Gudalur?

How much time should i budget for the following sectors -

- Trivandrum - Ernakulam
- Ernakulam - Perinthalmanna
- Perinthalmanna - Gudalur
- Gudalur - Ooty

Also, what would be an ideal start time from Trivandrum?
Hi Rob

I did Guruvayur Ooty in Dec'12, this was via Perinthalmanna. The total driving time was 4.5 hrs. If I recall right, Perinthalmanna Ooty was about 3 hours via Nilambur.

Gudalur Ooty is about 1.5 hours.

I took the Mudumalai-Masinagudi ghat to Ooty instead after Gudalur.

I took Masinagudi ghat as it is a quick climb though very challenging (steep ascent and hair pins especially the first 10-12 of them), also because I needed to check on something at the Mudumalai safari.

The roads are decent to good right through in Kerala albeit narrow apart from being up and down. Average speed is about 50kmph as the roads often pass through towns, which are rather frequent given Kerala's density of population. Do budget for additional time when you arrive at Nilambur.

Nadugani ghat wasn't in great condition though.

I did drive through Gudalur ghat in Dec'11 and it was okay for about 90% of the stretch - not sure about the current condition.

The drive is very scenic right through, I would suggest that you drive in day light for this reason and this would be a safer and more relaxed drive.

Cheers

Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 22:36   #4884
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go to Calicut from Bangalore and then from Calicut to Ooty.

For Bangalore to Calicut, I intend to take Bangalore -Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Gundulpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Thamarassery - Calicut.

This is the first time i am going to Gundulpet via Kanakpura. I am bored of Mysore road and desperate to avoid the speed breakers. I am familiar with rest of the road. Any suggestions?

I have not traveled from Calicut to Ooty. The route I have in mind is Calicut - Nilambur - Gudalur - Ooty. Another option I see in google maps is Calicut - Thamaraserry - Vaithiri - Gudalur - Ooty. Which is the best route? Also any good hotels on the way?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 20th March 2013 at 22:37.
Old 20th March 2013, 23:15   #4885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
This is the first time i am going to Gundulpet via Kanakpura. I am bored of Mysore road and desperate to avoid the speed breakers. I am familiar with rest of the road. Any suggestions?
The road was in pretty good shape last month and should take more or less same running time.

There were few bad potholes towards Ooty immediately after Gudalur when I traveled last time.

Last edited by coolclouds : 20th March 2013 at 23:17.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 23:46   #4886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am planning to go to Calicut from Bangalore and then from Calicut to Ooty.

For Bangalore to Calicut, I intend to take Bangalore -Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Gundulpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Thamarassery - Calicut.

I have not traveled from Calicut to Ooty. The route I have in mind is Calicut - Nilambur - Gudalur - Ooty. Another option I see in google maps is Calicut - Thamaraserry - Vaithiri - Gudalur - Ooty. Which is the best route? Also any good hotels on the way?
Bangalore -Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Gundulpet - Sulthan Bathery is in good shape. Drove 2 weeks back.

Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet is a lil bumpy & narrow but still you can do good speeds and the traffic is sparse. After Gundlupet there is some Road work in progress, they are re-laying a stretch but it should not be an issue. Also watch out for lot of humps and small trenches on the beautiful Blacktop until the Muthanga check post.

After Muthanga the road is bumpy and watch out for some small potholes. I managed to break my Car's front Right shocker while hitting one of them at speed after Muthanga

Calicut - Ooty can be done via Areekode - Gudalur/Meppadi - Gudalur. Good news is that the potholes on the Nadugani ghats is getting filled up.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 20th March 2013 at 23:51.
lloydofcochin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 08:20   #4887
Senior - BHPian

I am planning for a Sabarimala trip in April.

onward trip:

Starting at 4 AM.

Chalakudy - Cherthala - Kottayam - Kanjirappally - Erumely - Pamba (To use the 4 lane roads while driving with headlights ON).
Hopefully this 210 km can be covered in 5-5:30 hrs

Return to Pamba in 5-6 hrs time. Plan is to visit the temple without irumudi kettu.

Return trip:
Pampa - Kanjirappally - Pala - Koothattukulam - Chalakudy
Hopefully this 175 km can be convered in 6-6:30 hrs

Navigator - Sygic with mapmyindia or Google maps

Route made using google maps; need your suggestions on road conditions, better routes etc. Thank you.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:40   #4888
Senior - BHPian

Can someone update on the current condition of the road from Thrissur to Palakkad in terms of surface quality and traffic. I am planning to go from Kochi to Bangalore and wanted to know if I should avoid this stretch and go via Shoranur. Car is an X1.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:50   #4889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Can someone update on the current condition of the road from Thrissur to Palakkad in terms of surface quality and traffic. I am planning to go from Kochi to Bangalore and wanted to know if I should avoid this stretch and go via Shoranur. Car is an X1.
If you are driving during the day it should be fine. There are potholes at Kuthiran so in daylight it will be easier to negotiate. If you are driving during the night go via Shoranur.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:52   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I don't think that NH 47 between Thrissur and Palakkad is that bad that you need to avoid it. I think it is doable in day time. In my experience this is faster than Shornur route as the latter is atleast 20 kms longer and has heavier traffic. If I were you, I would have taken the NH 47.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed