Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 22:36   #5161
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Guys,

Need some help on road conditions to Vellore from Kottayam. I might have to take my dad next week there, who has fractured his leg again after 9 months from a knee cap fracture. So even if the distance is more, I would like to take the best available road. He don't want to use a taxi.

I have not done more than 400 kms a day and felt tired by the end of the 400 kms. So, is it not better to split the drive into 2 days or is it possible do it in a day though slowly? Early morning is not a problem, but at night I get fatigue from oncoming headlamps.

If that is the case, can you suggest any good budget hotels for the night accommodation en-route, where I can also park my car safely. Is Salem fine for the night halt?

Also, please could you mentions if there is any specific stretches to take care of, other possible pit stops and good BP fuel stations around Salem too.

From this post, I gather that Kottayam-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore should be the best available route?
Old 1st June 2013, 23:50   #5162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some help on road conditions to Vellore from Kottayam. I might have to take my dad next week there, who has fractured his leg again after 9 months from a knee cap fracture. So even if the distance is more, I would like to take the best available road. He don't want to use a taxi.
Straight route :

Vellore-Krishnagirii-Salem-CBE-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Trichur-Angamaly-Ernakulam-Kottayam

You can use @kala's post as reference for Cochin-Kottayam

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3128680

(Instead of taking the MC road)

Quote:
I gather that Kottayam-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore should be the best available route?
I would have suggested this option. But since you mentioned, you wanted to take a break in between, its better to go via the NH47. You have more cities where you can choose to take a break.
Old 2nd June 2013, 08:16   #5163
Senior - BHPian

Saravana Bhavan after Salem is a budget hotel with safe parking.

Kuthiran route is closed for repair during night hence expect more traffic, if you travel at night.

Why don't you consider a train travel for your father? It should be less tiring.
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:54   #5164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have not done more than 400 kms a day and felt tired by the end of the 400 kms. So, is it not better to split the drive into 2 days or is it possible do it in a day though slowly? Early morning is not a problem, but at night I get fatigue from oncoming headlamps.

If that is the case, can you suggest any good budget hotels for the night accommodation en-route, where I can also park my car safely. Is Salem fine for the night halt

From this post, I gather that Kottayam-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore should be the best available route?
Kumily route would be less stressful as opposed to the NH47 route.Its going to be slow progress and heavy traffic on the alternate routes thanks to the NH47 night closure.Kottayam vellore is a 8-10hr drive.If you want to stay Dindigul Parsons Court is a good place,Cenneys Gateway in salem is good.Park Plaza and GRT on the NH7 are the expensive options.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:15   #5165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would have suggested this option. But since you mentioned, you wanted to take a break in between, its better to go via the NH47. You have more cities where you can choose to take a break.
Ettumanur-Cochin and beyond till Thrissur, the roads are in perfect condition. Kottayam-Ettumanur is not that bad either but not perfect. But I dread the Kuthiran / Palghat stretch. Crazy private buses could force me into one of those infamous potholes. Can I move slowly in that stretch? So, I was more tending towards the Kumily route. Is Dindigul an okay place to halt for the night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Saravana Bhavan after Salem is a budget hotel with safe parking.

Why don't you consider a train travel for your father? It should be less tiring.
Thanks. Could you specify where exactly could be Saravana Bhavan?

In this situation, it is difficult for dad to use the train toilet and to jump off the train within the 2 min halt at Katpadi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Kumily route would be less stressful as opposed to the NH47 route.Its going to be slow progress and heavy traffic on the alternate routes thanks to the NH47 night closure.Kottayam vellore is a 8-10hr drive.If you want to stay Dindigul Parsons Court is a good place,Cenneys Gateway in salem is good.
I'm sure I can't do Kottayam-Vellore in 10 hrs in the given situation. Maybe, I don't know, I'll reach only Dindigul in the first evening. Can't rock the car much. I'm looking for budget stays in Dindigul / Salem.

Don't mind slow progress much; my first priority is smooth roads.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:42   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kottayam-Ettumanur is not that bad either but not perfect. But I dread the Kuthiran / Palghat stretch. Crazy private buses could force me into one of those infamous potholes. Can I move slowly in that stretch? So, I was more tending towards the Kumily route. Is Dindigul an okay place to halt for the night?
Even if you take the Kerala route,I wouldnt reccomend taking the NH47 route between Thrissur and Palakkad,especially since its now work in progress.Instead I would suggest that you take the below route as roads are very good and helps you avoid all the densely trafficked routes.This is the regular route that many people opt for between Salem and Thrissur now a days
https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...a=1,2&t=m&z=15

Quote:
Thanks. Could you specify where exactly could be Saravana Bhavan?
This makes sense only if you are taking the nh47 route.This is at Sankari toll gate on NH47.The end point in the above map is where saravana bhavan is located

Quote:
Stays in Dindigul/Salem
Dindigul is a good town and Parsons Court and Rockfort palace are ok places to stay.
http://www.hotelrockfortpalace.com/
http://www.parsonscourt.net.in/
Salem : www.hotelcenneys.com

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 2nd June 2013 at 11:46.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 19:31   #5167

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
The road is good although the traffic has increased a lot from earlier days as people are aware that travelling to nagerkoil via this road is far more easy than the old traditional route through balaramapuram,marthandam which is agonizing.You will save a good 45 minutes or more on this road.
Thanks for the tip. I took this route.. less traffic and less stress.. rejoined NH47 at Kaliyikkavila.. Near Vizhinjam, visited a shiva temple (Aazhimala temple), right on the sea.. A must see, if travelling this route...
Old 5th June 2013, 05:37   #5168
M35
BHPian

Any updates on the stretch between Vathalakkundu and Dindigul?
Old 5th June 2013, 10:46   #5169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Any updates on the stretch between Vathalakkundu and Dindigul?

Returned from Hyderabad - Munnar yesterday night.

Dindigul-Vathalakkundu the road is in good condition.Road markings have not
been done but easily manageable.2 small bridges are incomplete and diversions
have been well marked.
Onward towards Munnar from Dindigul-Theni was tailing a Kallada volvo bus do
not which service between 4am-5am.
Return during the day Theni-Dindigul took 1.30mins due to town traffic.
Hope this helps

Last edited by gajadonga : 5th June 2013 at 10:53.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 00:54   #5170
BHPian

Folks - will be traveling to Poovar from Tenkasi: we'll also probably visit Thenmala dam. Starting around 10 AM from Courtallam and halting for the night somewhere near Poovar. What are our options ?

Thenmala - Palode - Nedumangad- Poovar seems the shortest route : are the road conditions good ?

Can we throw in Neyyar dam too into the mix ?

Rough itinerary :

Day 1 : Start at 7 PM ( after work ) from Bangalore, halt at Salem
Day 2 : Start at 4 AM from Salem - Thirumangalam bypass - Tenkasi - Thenmala - Palode - Neyyar - Balaramapuram - Poovar
Day 3 : Start around 9 AM and go Kovalam - Nagercoil ( a couple of hours of a funciton to attend ) - Nanguneri - usual route - Salem (halt )
Day 4 : Salem - Bangalore ( need to be on time to work )

Day 3 is not a problem.

Day 2 is a little worrying. What are our best options/ if we can remove some places or add others to make it more comfortable ? The only thing we want is to take a different route while going and come back via the NH7. Anything to worry about on the Thirumangalam - Tenkasi stretch ?

Last edited by airguitar : 6th June 2013 at 01:02.
Old 6th June 2013, 09:17   #5171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Thenmala - Palode - Nedumangad- Poovar seems the shortest route : are the road conditions good ?
Here are your answers:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2554991
Old 6th June 2013, 23:21   #5172
BHPian

Thank you, Ampere. Will post back the latest details after I come back.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:45   #5173
BHPian

Dear all, Which is the best way from Thrissur to TVM(Sreekaryam to be exact) considering heavy traffic in NH 47?
Should I divert to Changanasery from Alpy?
Ease of driving is my priority. I dont mind 10 or 15 km extra
Old 7th June 2013, 17:50   #5174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Dear all, Which is the best way from Thrissur to TVM(Sreekaryam to be exact) considering heavy traffic in NH 47?
Should I divert to Changanasery from Alpy?
Ease of driving is my priority. I dont mind 10 or 15 km extra
If you are diverting, then divert at Kalamassery. Don't wait till Alleppey. Crossing the notorious quadra junctions of Kochi (Edappally, Palarivattom, Vyttila and Kundannoor) would consume a lot of time.

If you want to avoid NH 47, the following is suggested:
- Come through NH 47 bypass till Kalamassery.
- Take a diversion to Seaport Airport road from there to Thrippunittura.
- Take the road to Piravom
- reach Kottayam via Piravom- Ettumanur.
- Follow MC road till Kottarakkara.

I am not quite sure of the road condition after Kottarakkara till Karyavattom. I would've taken the following route:

Kottarakkara- Ayur- Kilimanoor- Alamcode- Attingal- Karyavattom

If you have small kids travelling, you may re consider this route. The roads are twisty and may make them sick.
Other than that, the road is in good condition and with much lesser traffic than NH47.

Safe journey
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 18:08   #5175
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't it be easier to take mc road from angamaly itself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks