Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2020, 17:32   #12661
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

An update on my sister and my brother in law who made the trip from Bangalore to Thrissur on 14th. They are senior citizens, and as per the rules now, they had to be taken for a swab test the next day, which was not normal. I checked and the health officer told me that now they have made it mandatory for all senior citizens, the youngsters are exempted. They had no problems on the drive from Bangalore to Thrissur, Walayar check was a breeze.
Old 20th July 2020, 15:40   #12662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
They are senior citizens, and as per the rules now, they had to be taken for a swab test the next day, which was not normal. I checked and the health officer told me that now they have made it mandatory for all senior citizens, the youngsters are exempted.
We had a mandatory swab test after 1 week of quarantine, results came as Negative today . We did not have senior citizens or kids in our group. We are quarantined in Munnar, one of my friend who was quarantined in Kannur did not have the swab test. I think it depends on the local bodied involved and the level of COVID threat situation in that place.
Old 20th July 2020, 20:07   #12663
BHPian

Yes, I guess it's local body, because my cousin's son and wife came from Bangalore and did not undergo any test. I was informed by Health Officer that as my sister and brother in law were the only senior citizens at the moment in quarantine in my taluk. they had to undergo the swab test.

Last edited by sparky@home : 20th July 2020 at 20:12. Reason: correction
Old 27th July 2020, 15:39   #12664
Senior - BHPian

Folks, Kerala RTO has started sending over-speeding tickets for Karnataka vehicles over post. My friend got 3 speeding tickets for INR 1500 on Palakkad Kochi route (total penalty of INR 4500, it is not cheap anymore), his travel was around 5 weeks back.

I had traveled 3 weeks back from Bangalore to Munnar, I am yet to find if the tickets are waiting in my mailbox in Bangalore.

Please stick to your speed limits while driving in Kerala
gadadhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 15:55   #12665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Folks, Kerala RTO has started sending over-speeding tickets for Karnataka vehicles over post.
Moderator ajmat's Polo too. During a lockdown drive from Bangalore to Cochin and 10 tickets were sent to him. He has mentioned it in the ownership thread.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:18   #12666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, Kerala RTO has started sending over-speeding tickets for Karnataka vehicles over post.
I suppose it is the superfast Vaahan/Sarathi integration they did, that is helping them in this.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:30   #12667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I suppose it is the superfast Vaahan/Sarathi integration they did, that is helping them in this.
What if you don't pay? a lot of people might be one time entrants, not locals working elsewhere. I'm not sure my address is updated as yet.
Old 27th July 2020, 16:52   #12668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
What if you don't pay? a lot of people might be one time entrants, not locals working elsewhere. I'm not sure my address is updated as yet.
With a centralised database the information would be available with Police/RTO from other states as well. And it would lead to problem when selling the vehicle etc.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 17:06   #12669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
With a centralised database the information would be available with Police/RTO from other states as well. And it would lead to problem when selling the vehicle etc.
No police force will collect for anyone else. The driver will be liable if caught in the issuing state. Most cars will not have updated addresses, unless they cross check owner's address before sending the ticket. Anyone with rented accommodation will not bother to update this, it's a pain.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 17:23   #12670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is that they are sending the notice to the vehicle's registration address as present in the Vaahan database. If it is your vehicle but the address is not updated, you will get to know about the fine probably only if you look for it, or the next time you enter Kerala.

If you don't pay - who knows what the future plan is? No re-registration? No sale processing? No insurance? No fitness/permit renewals? Fine amount added to toll amount and deducted at the next toll booth you pass through (via Fastag)? Any number of possibilities.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 17:34   #12671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you don't pay - who knows what the future plan is? No re-registration? No sale processing? No insurance? No fitness/permit renewals? Fine amount added to toll amount and deducted at the next toll booth you pass through (via Fastag)? Any number of possibilities.
The speed tickets are not processed in real time, there is some kind of delay. I've heard Mahe vehicles were the biggest violators but they couldn't collect as Mahe didn't have any incentive to collect fines to pass them on to Kerala. The average speed on Kerala highways is 40kmph and the tolls are astronomical, luckily nothing is manufactured there so no supply chains are affected by the lousy infrastructure. .
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:11   #12672
Senior - BHPian

You can check for violations on the motor vehicle department website. I got away with 2 tickets at INR 3000.

https://smartweb.keralamvd.gov.in/km...mvdchkhome.php
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:59   #12673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The speed tickets are not processed in real time, there is some kind of delay. I've heard Mahe vehicles were the biggest violators but they couldn't collect as Mahe didn't have any incentive to collect fines to pass them on to Kerala.
I meant it as a nationwide platform, not specific to Kerala. Sort of "One nation, one traffic violation detection/intimation/collection system". In which if you are stopped in one state, the traffic cop there can see and demand payment on all of your accumulated challans from any state. Actually this is part-wishlist.

Quote:
The average speed on Kerala highways is 40kmph and the tolls are astronomical, luckily nothing is manufactured there so no supply chains are affected by the lousy infrastructure. .
The Cochin port is #5 or something in India in cargo volume ranking, so you actually can't completely take Kerala out of the supply chain equation.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:39   #12674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can check for violations on the motor vehicle department website. I got away with 2 tickets at INR 3000.

https://smartweb.keralamvd.gov.in/km...mvdchkhome.php
We can pay the fine online through the same website, there are multiple payment options including credit and debit cards. I didn't want to take a chance and did the online payment. Website shows the closed cases in a separate tab once you make the payment.
Old 29th July 2020, 17:55   #12675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk
Most cars will not have updated addresses, unless they cross check owner's address before sending the ticket
There are recent court rulings which actually "encourages" the seller to ensure that sale of vehicle etc. is updated on the RTO records. From how things are moving, RTO would not be a 'one time stop' for a vehicle owner. And if they have a good database of the violations on the vehicle they will be able to scuttle the plans of many vehicle owners. NOC when transferring a vehicle to another state, or updating a sale record all can be check points to ensure that fines levied are fully paid.

Quote:
The speed tickets are not processed in real time, there is some kind of delay. I've heard Mahe vehicles were the biggest violators but they couldn't collect as Mahe didn't have any incentive to collect fines to pass them on to Kerala.
That is true. No state will have any interest in collecting money just to pass it onto another state. But if KL was serious enough they could have put every single highway police mobile, RTO mobile on two ends of Mahe town (it is a tiny place) with the latest mParivahan app. And collect spot fines and then only allow them to proceed further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
If you don't pay - who knows what the future plan is? No re-registration? No sale processing? No insurance? No fitness/permit renewals?
Add to this that, GoI is also nearly done with centralising the license database. All most all states have got their records updated on to the GoI centralised servers. So sooner or later each vehicle and driver is going to have one single 'horoscope' recording their future. India may also soon move to a point system, or centralised records of traffic violations against each license. There are already penalties for repeat offences in MV Act. Many people escaped it because each police unit did not know if the individual has been charged earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks